Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I played the Game Boy version of Hook which was probably pretty close to the NES one (it at least uses the same sprites). The game was alright, but it didn't have any kind of save or password functionality, so you best prepare for a 2-3 hour marathon session if you wanted to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Song For The Deaf posted:

I'm rushing to my own defense because even though I'm fully aware that I have no reason to feel bad, my inborn but misguided sense of Midwestern politeness is telling me that I've retroactively spoken ill of the dead. Which is nonsense.

Sorry to stomp on your goof. It's definitely a funny coincidence.

If it makes you guys feel any better, Kevin Smith did an entire episode of his podcast making fun of Tom Bosley, including having to look online to see that he was still alive. Then Tom Bosley died a week or two later.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ja2ke posted:

Hook didn't age well. At least as of the last time I saw it, which was in a theater sometime in the last decade.

I don't think so, at least for me it's one of those movies I can always go back to, like Roger Rabbit or Turtles 1. If that doesn't date me. Doesn't necessarily require nostalgia to appreciate I guess. My only issue with it is that it's so long, something like 2hr20m.

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 13, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Three Moves Ahead did an in-depth discussion on The Last Express and it may be the single best episode of any video game related podcast I've heard. They break this game down top to bottom and even though I've dissected it to death when I originally played it I still heard some interesting insight into the plot I never really thought about. The Last Express is an important game that got completely overlooked and should be talked about more.

Even if you have no plans on playing the game you should at least check out an LP and then listen to this episode because it's great.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 13, 2014

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

al-azad posted:

Three Moves Ahead did an in-depth discussion on The Last Express and it may be the single best episode of any video game related podcast I've heard. They break this game down top to bottom and even though I've dissected it to death when I originally played it I still heard some interesting insight into the plot I never really thought about. The Last Express is an important game that got completely overlooked and should be talked about more.

Even if you have no plans on playing the game you should at least check out an LP and then listen to this episode because it's great.

I was just thinking how much Remo and Breckon love that game and sure enough, Chris is a guest! Not a strategy game though, looking forward to finding out why its on 3MA. The iPad version is excellent btw.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I enjoyed it, too. I think I'll finally get over the hump and play it to completion now.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

SoulChicken posted:

I was just thinking how much Remo and Breckon love that game and sure enough, Chris is a guest! Not a strategy game though, looking forward to finding out why its on 3MA. The iPad version is excellent btw.

They've dedicated this month, I believe, to games set during or dealing with World War I.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think I'd love The Last Express but the real timeyness of it freaked me out. It usually doesn't in games (I'm a majoras mask and dead rising defender) so i'm not sure why it bugged me in TLE

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

ja2ke posted:

They've dedicated this month, I believe, to games set during or dealing with World War I.

We'll then I can't wait for the Snoopy Flying Ace episode!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Thanks to Idle Thumbs I now know that Guillermo Del Toro and Hideo Kojima are doing a horror game about sudden unexpected product placement.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Timett posted:

I think I'd love The Last Express but the real timeyness of it freaked me out. It usually doesn't in games (I'm a majoras mask and dead rising defender) so i'm not sure why it bugged me in TLE

It's certainly more forgiving than either game because you can rewind the clock in small increments and nothing is permanent. But if you don't want to play it definitely watch it, it's a game that works well watched or played.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
This week is an exciting milestone for Abject Suffering, since Bad Mojo is both our 50th game AND it's surprisingly good.

http://duckfeed.tv/asp/50

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So I just listened to last week's Retronauts, and if I'm piecing this together correctly... both Retronauts and Watch Out For Fireballs invoked Robin Williams? Spooky.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hell yes, someone else has seen Nic Cage Bad Lieutenant. A couple years ago I heard it was on Netflix, watched and loved it, and then a week later it was off.

Also Chris, please enunciate more when reading e-mails, especially as you approach the end of them. Every e-mail that doesn't end with something funny comes out sounding like mmghgmgmhmgmhmm. It only happens on e-mails, to your credit.

E: I am obligated by law to post this anytime Nic Cage is mentioned. Note Bad Lieutenant's position-

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 19, 2014

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Up next we've got a two parter about Suikoden II.

http://youtu.be/lNgjIoakzUk

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

This is the best thing and you're the best person.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It's the first day of Summer RPG Season on WOFF!, with the release of part 1 of our Suikoden II episode.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/80

Stick around for the easter egg at the end. It's choice.

Up next is the last leg of Suikoden II, then a split EP about Contra and Little Nemo, then Half-Life, followed by God Hand. We have more exciting stuff planned for the fall, too.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Someone put Retronauts 1-100 up on Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/Retronauts1-100

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Zeether posted:

Someone put Retronauts 1-100 up on Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/Retronauts1-100

Man. What a hero.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Zeether posted:

Hells bells, there's even a torrent. This is nice.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Kerbalcast - Episode 15: "Gone, But Not Forgotten" :jeb:

Featuring our special tribute to Robin Williams for this week's But I Digress

DarkMushroom is back with another edition of "Dark Matter"

DK talks about the Enhanced Navball in the first Modder's Minute

A gameplay challenge from Shea

And we have your letters in the Crew Report, Kerbal news in the Mission Briefing and another episode of "As The Kerbin Turns"

Youtube links mentioned in Kerbalcast:

Mun Rollie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb-1fU8Q4jg

Redneck Einstein: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_h8LpyeVuw

http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/kerbal-podcast-015

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Excellent WOFF episode, guys! Suikoden II is definitely one of those games that I've often put off for reasons unknown. Seeing as how I enjoyed the first game to the point where I can vividly remember the important key points of it, playing the sequel should have been a natural process to me. I think it's partly due to the fact that I sorta wasn't looking forward to finding the 108 Stars of Destiny once again.

Also, I might've zoned out on this particular point in the podcast but I'll reiterate. The localization sucks. Not only it was quite intrusive with the duels, but in general just reading the translated dialogue today is kinda unbearable (at least, when I read the LP of the game ages ago). I'll make sure to not let that get in the way of enjoying Suikoden II.

Hopefully my old memory card still has the save data for S1, and am able to catch up until the next part drops.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

It's the first day of Summer RPG Season on WOFF!, with the release of part 1 of our Suikoden II episode.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/80

Before listening I had no idea Suikoden even existed, let alone what it was.

After listening to the episode I might just have to pick it up!

FAKE EDIT: £100 !? Well gently caress that then.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
You don't buy Suikoden 2 these days you :filez: it and complain about how Konami doesn't make it easily available for mystery reasons.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

We didn't want to "google" it and we try our best to not do that. It was registered for PSN release so we were expecting it to be legal but sadly, no dice.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Yeah, I am not sure how Konami deals with porting their lesser known franchise titles, but there is the option of buying the Suikoden I+II PSP UMD as far as legally obtaining it. Sucks that its in Japanese...

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 22, 2014

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Russ Frushtick is leaving Polygon.

RIP New York Giraffe.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Polygon already shedded the only good part of their site, Features. Now shedding reviewers. Pretty soon will be the McElroy brothers making funny videos in a basement while Ben Kuchera writes clickbait garbage pieces from his apartment.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Polygon already shedded the only good part of their site, Features. Now shedding reviewers. Pretty soon will be the McElroy brothers making funny videos in a basement while Ben Kuchera writes clickbait garbage pieces from his apartment.

Every video game website will be nothing but Star Wars and superhero movie news within the next five years. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

On the topic of Suikoden 2, Hardcore Gaming 101 has an interview with localizer Jeremy Blaustein, where he describes the difficulties he faced working on the game's US release. Short, but good stuff.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've thought about it a bit, and I really like the last two episodes of Retronauts. Getting meta and talking about a show that deals with games is whatever, but the raw nostalgia and unadulterated enthusiasm for games is definitely a strong parallel to make on the season finisher.

That and Ray is technically the US Ambassador of Game Center CX. (rip ray :( im gonna miss you on Retronauts every week)

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Chris' scream at 'Silent HillS' was the best

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Phone posted:

I've thought about it a bit, and I really like the last two episodes of Retronauts. Getting meta and talking about a show that deals with games is whatever, but the raw nostalgia and unadulterated enthusiasm for games is definitely a strong parallel to make on the season finisher.

That and Ray is technically the US Ambassador of Game Center CX. (rip ray :( im gonna miss you on Retronauts every week)
I really liked those episodes too - two of the stronger ones they've done in the recent series. I wish there was an easier way to watch the show. I figured someone would have assembled a decent Youtube playlist but I couldn't find one.

trw
Dec 24, 2003
I have no idea where the idea that Suikoden wasn't good after 2 came from. Granted 4 is terrible but Suikoden 5 is just as good as 2 and 3 had really interesting ideas that were more hit than miss. If you liked playing Suikoden 2 you really should look into playing Suikoden 5 which is very similar and hits all the right notes.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It's an uninformed opinion on my part. I was speaking based on what I'd heard, mostly surrounding Suikoden 4. I'll have to investigate further, since 2 has piqued my interest.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I really need to go back play V all the way through one of these days, I keep hearing about how good it is. All I remember about it is that the graphics were kind of terrible and really basic for a game that came out in the same year as Final Fantasy XII. Granted, comparing any game's production values to a FF game isn't super fair, but I remember the environments/towns especially being just completely flat and boring. Maybe playing it on PCSX2 will help that a bit.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

The Milkman posted:

Chris' scream at 'Silent HillS' was the best

I thought it was cool. I was sad when the thumbs pooped on it. :( Although I thought the Phantom Pain title reveal was cool also. I guess I'm just a sucker for Kojima?

It really would have been rotten if it was Silent Hill5, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VDay posted:

I really need to go back play V all the way through one of these days, I keep hearing about how good it is. All I remember about it is that the graphics were kind of terrible and really basic for a game that came out in the same year as Final Fantasy XII. Granted, comparing any game's production values to a FF game isn't super fair, but I remember the environments/towns especially being just completely flat and boring. Maybe playing it on PCSX2 will help that a bit.

Suikoden V feels like a budget game in a lot of ways. You can really tell Konami didn't give them a lot of cash to work with, so it looks like something that came out on the Dreamcast, but they managed to make a great game anyway. It's way better than 3 or 4 at least.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I can't tell if you're saying that would be a negative outcome. Kuchera aside.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the Polygon Quick Look equivalents are pretty good, it's too bad they're mixed in with all the other worthless videos on their YouTube channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Suikoden III was good but very slow and plodding. IV is a trainwreck, and V returns to the roots and is a pretty good game despite being very low budget. However, any game with the Suikoden title after V is inexplicably not connected to the same world (let's copy Final Fantasy!) and worse than IV.

• Locked thread