Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't think there's going to be anywhere near enough of them out there in a RWD configuration. As far as I know only the Mustang will be getting this 2.3 Ecoboost in RWD, the Lincoln MKC and Explorer get a FWD configuration.

I almost wonder if it could happily lug an F150 around, or if the 325hp / 375 ft-lb 2.7L Ecoboost in the F150 will be the future go-to swap engine.

I think the same thing can be said for the Gen III/IV small blocks in that the truck versions were made in much bigger numbers but I think what got the swap so popular was the LS series engines getting swapped into things which at the time only came in the Corvette and 4th gen Camaro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

I'm still wondering if it's actually possible to drive one on the road, especially around here. Almost 200 bhp more than the Z51 and that car is a monster.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

drgitlin posted:

I'm still wondering if it's actually possible to drive one on the road, especially around here. Almost 200 bhp more than the Z51 and that car is a monster.

More power than the old ZR-1 at 3/4 the cost. Motherfucker.

I still wonder if we'll see a new ZR-1 for this gen, but... how far can they realistically go with RWD?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fucknag posted:

I still wonder if we'll see a new ZR-1 for this gen, but... how far can they realistically go with RWD?

708?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fucknag posted:

"It will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear."

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So, how long until we get rolling pin tires like the Flintstones cars to get all that power to the ground?

:golfclap:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Comrade Flynn posted:

drat it. This may be what makes me sell the GT-R.

Seriously. I go back and forth on what I want when I move back to Phoenix in a couple years but I always land on a GT3. For the same price as an 8 year old GT3 you get over 50% more power, functional aero, and a warranty that isn't voided when you park near a track. This may be the last straw when it comes to getting over any "brand snobbery." Unreal.

Two big questions I have: Can Chevy keep the engine and oil temps down on a supercharged track car? And do I even want that much power on the track?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The tires thing drives home the point of how silly that chart was with all the supercars with less than 707 or ZR1 or whatever horsepower was. You know why a '90s McLaren or Ferrari whatever didn't have more power? Because tire tech didn't stand a chance of handling it. As tire tech improves, production horsepower will come up to match.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

VERTiG0 posted:

A 330hp FWD car? Come on. At least give it that half-assed slip'n'grip bullshit.

300+ HP FWD has been done before:

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 23, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fucknag posted:

Last I checked, Koenigsegg was at 1360hp with RWD.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KozmoNaut posted:

It's also more than 10 times the price of the ZR-1 (going off the base Agera at $1.5 million), I'm talking in regular cars.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Comrade Flynn posted:

drat it. This may be what makes me sell the GT-R.

Don't. I know it's tempting, but if you're looking to go faster than the Z06, just do a few more mods to your GT-R. I hate to burst everyone's bubbles but a light/medium modded GT-R will outrun this in the straights and corners. Also for those of you with hopes for a "bigger badder" ZR1 model this year; there more than likely isn't going to be one coming. The Z06 w/ Z07 package is the top Corvette this go-around :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Devyl posted:

I hate to burst everyone's bubbles but a light/medium modded GT-R will outrun this in the straights and corners.

Too bad you won't be able to mod the Z06 to make it better :(

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

KozmoNaut posted:

MR is a lot better for wacky power numbers than FR though.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Well, the original question *was* "how far can they realistically go with RWD"

And Kozmo did answer that. Besides, aren't all Corvettes at least FMR anyway?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

fknlo posted:

Too bad you won't be able to mod the Z06 to make it better :(

AWD conversion! But seriously, you know there's gonna be some well designed aftermarket stuff for it. Just going to take a while to surpass what Chevrolet has already designed and put in the car. I'm just a sucker for the GT-R though since I see tons of Corvettes every day being made and shipped out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well, the original question *was* "how far can they realistically go with RWD"

And Kozmo did answer that. Besides, aren't all Corvettes at least FMR anyway?

That was exactly my point, how much power you can sensibly put down through the rear wheels only.

In the Koenigsegg One:1's case, the rear tires are 345/30R20, I don't know about the new Vette. From all accounts, the Agera (and One:1 by extension) is very controllable and easy to drive, although I don't know if anyone's ever driven it at 10/10ths, let alone 5/10ths.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Devyl posted:

The Z06 w/ Z07 package is the top Corvette this go-around :(

Sad face? This isn't a bad thing at all. The new car is pretty amazing and is priced well below what I was expecting.

Oh, and it's still a SBC, there will be mods for it to make it even more ridiculous.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd like to think that there is a wild-eyed Chevrolet skunk works team with nothing to do now running around the site looking for something to happen to.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Devyl posted:

Also for those of you with hopes for a "bigger badder" ZR1 model this year; there more than likely isn't going to be one coming. The Z06 w/ Z07 package is the top Corvette this go-around :(

This model year, certainly, and probably 2016 as well, but the C7 not having anything above the Z06/07 for the remainder of production is a silly idea. They've proven there is a market for a $120k Ultra-Corvette, and I'm sure we'll start to hear rumblings soon.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Devyl posted:

I hate to burst everyone's bubbles but a light/medium modded GT-R will outrun this in the straights and corners.

I'm not sure about that. And that's from a lightly modded 2012 GTR owner.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I also suspect that "lightly modded GTR" hits the wallet for about the same as "Corvette that will bend time and space to its will".

Right out the box, the GTR is $100k. You have a Z06 and $21k in your pocket for tuning. You are, frankly, going to die on the way to the circuit the showdown is being held at.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But if you buy a BRZ, you will have 75 grand in your pocket, a BRZ with mods would kill both cars. :jerkbag:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just think what a $100k Froot truck would run up the 1320!

Hey, I didn't start the "but if modified..." thing, though I think that (at a reasonable level), it's valid. And even if a GTR were faster than a Z06... Where's that "Woody Harrelson wiping away tears with banknotes" gif?

It's a loving quick car for a laughably low price in comparison to anything else with new-car smell and a warranty.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I also suspect that "lightly modded GTR" hits the wallet for about the same as "Corvette that will bend time and space to its will".

Right out the box, the GTR is $100k. You have a Z06 and $21k in your pocket for tuning. You are, frankly, going to die on the way to the circuit the showdown is being held at.

My GTR was $78k. I have $2k in mods so it's roughly even. Although comparing used prices is silly.

I just think the Corvette looks amazing and will be a lot lighter than GT-R.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Comrade Flynn posted:

My GTR was $78k. I have $2k in mods so it's roughly even. Although comparing used prices is silly.
You really don't want to know what they cost here. $129k.

A £47k, 650bhp car is just insane to me.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Comrade Flynn posted:

I just think the Corvette looks amazing and will be a lot lighter than GT-R.

The weight of the Z06 is a little over 3,500 lbs. making it the heaviest Corvette ever. Still 300 pounds lighter than the GT-R. If you get one, get yellow. It looks amazing in person :)

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Devyl posted:

The weight of the Z06 is a little over 3,500 lbs. making it the heaviest Corvette ever. Still 300 pounds lighter than the GT-R. If you get one, get yellow. It looks amazing in person :)

Wow. Kind of a bummer it got so heavy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe they're using the weight to sandbag it to cheaply make a carbon fiber ZR1 with the same engine crush it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

InitialDave posted:

You really don't want to know what they cost here. $129k.

A £47k, 650bhp car is just insane to me.

How does a £37k, 707bhp car make you feel?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MrYenko posted:

This model year, certainly, and probably 2016 as well, but the C7 not having anything above the Z06/07 for the remainder of production is a silly idea. They've proven there is a market for a $120k Ultra-Corvette, and I'm sure we'll start to hear rumblings soon.

Agreed; the last ZR1 didn't come out until 2009, 4 MYs after the C6 debuted.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The ZR1's don't seem to hold their value as well as the Z06. Low-mileage 2 year old cars are going for over 50K off MSRP. Granted they had a much further MSRP to fall from but compared to the Z06 they lose a significantly bigger % over a shorter time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

HotCanadianChick posted:

How does a £37k, 707bhp car make you feel?
Like I should have also remembered to calculate the exchange rate on that before posting.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

KennyLoggins posted:

300+ HP FWD has been done before:

I love these things. Manual transmission? Nope, just a 4-speed automatic with insanely wide ratios (over 100mph in 2nd gear). Torque steer? Nah, we'll just put 255's on the front but keep 225's out back and...magic! I guess it worked pretty well too.

I always thought the Buick version would make for a nice daily driver.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 24, 2014

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

SouthLAnd posted:

I love these things. Manual transmission? Nope, just a 4-speed automatic with insanely wide ratios (over 100mph in 2nd gear). Torque steer? Nah, we'll just put 255's on the front but keep 225's out back and...magic! I guess it worked pretty well too.

The four-speed killed those cars. They were about as fast as a V6 Accord through the quarter mile despite their huge torque and power advantage. A decent six-speed would have them running mid 13s, no problem.

I always thought that the reverse-staggered setup was a pretty neat idea. I meant to give it a shot on my WRX, but sold it before having the opportunity.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
IIRC only the Pontiac had the wider front wheels, bigger brakes, etc, the Chevy and Buick versions didn't have any of the other performance features and just torque steered everywhere. Also GM did the old "let's just add more power without sufficiently strengthening the rest of the drivetrain" trick so the transmissions on those blew up endlessly.

If you want a big car with a terrible interior and lots of power a V8 Chrysler LX car would be a much better bet, and after than one the the last few years Impalas with the 300hp DOHC V6 and 6 speed trans.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cyrezar posted:

The ZR1's don't seem to hold their value as well as the Z06. Low-mileage 2 year old cars are going for over 50K off MSRP. Granted they had a much further MSRP to fall from but compared to the Z06 they lose a significantly bigger % over a shorter time.

That's kind of par for the course for all cars though, outside of numbers matching Ferraris or whatever.

Fucknag posted:

Agreed; the last ZR1 didn't come out until 2009, 4 MYs after the C6 debuted.

Maybe this time GM can manage to stay not-bankrupt for long enough get it out the door earlier.

Powershift posted:

Maybe they're using the weight to sandbag it to cheaply make a carbon fiber ZR1 with the same engine crush it.

The lead designer as an example said that they switched over from an aluminum torque tube on the C6 to a steel one on the C7 because the aluminum one combined with the cylinder deactivation transmitted too much NVH, so they had no choice but to gain like 100lbs there. I'm sure they will come out with a lighter version for people who aren't whiny little bitches.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 24, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think you're all forgetting about this.

:colbert:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

IIRC only the Pontiac had the wider front wheels, bigger brakes, etc, the Chevy and Buick versions didn't have any of the other performance features and just torque steered everywhere. Also GM did the old "let's just add more power without sufficiently strengthening the rest of the drivetrain" trick so the transmissions on those blew up endlessly.

If you want a big car with a terrible interior and lots of power a V8 Chrysler LX car would be a much better bet, and after than one the the last few years Impalas with the 300hp DOHC V6 and 6 speed trans.

Yep, agreed on all counts. When my Mazda6 started consuming oil earlier this year, I test drove an Impala SS. It was a great car..huge and roomy, comfortable, powerful, sounded good, etc.. but the weak transmission scared me. Wound up with a Nissan Maxima with a CVT, which may seem kind of strange. However, Nissan was confident enough in their technology to warranty it to 120k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Man what happened to the pricing on the GT-:argh:s? Wasn't their huge thing that they were half the cost of their closest competition and started at <70k when the R35 was new? Talk about price bloat.