Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
It says a lot about Muir's work that I shrugged and thought, "Well, at least he didn't draw Holder in a looter getup."

(Dear Chris, please get sued into the ground by one of the guys you steal and trace images off. Thanks. :byewhore: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yooooooooooooooooooooooou

fuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyou

This doesn't quite relate, but all these horrible Mike Brown cartoons got me thinking: does anyone have any old political cartoons from back in the 60's about the Rodney King beating? Did they victim blame as much then as they do now?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

OAquinas posted:

I remember reading that when it first ran. And wondering who the hell that guy was.

....I'm old. :eng99:

Same here, had to ask my parents who he was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

does anyone have any old political cartoons from back in the 60's about the Rodney King beating?

I'm not sure if this is a typo or a deliberate statement about the state of race relations :ohdear:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kill yourself.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not sure if this is a typo or a deliberate statement about the state of race relations :ohdear:

It actually was a typo; but if I'd be interested in getting more information on political cartoons from the 60's about the civil rights movement, too. Google image search isn't being as helpful as I want it to be.

Although it did turn up, well, whatever the Hell this is:

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 23, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Muir was just reading this thread and getting mad at people saying Ramirez is a shoo-in for the Gay Abortions award. 'I'll show you!'

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Wow. I don't really pay attention to Muir, but doesn't he usually stick with the standard dogwhistles?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

This doesn't quite relate, but all these horrible Mike Brown cartoons got me thinking: does anyone have any old political cartoons from back in the 60's about the Rodney King beating? Did they victim blame as much then as they do now?

You want a political cartoon from back in the '60s? I'll give you a cartoon from back in the 60s.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Really the NFL fined him for flipping off the other team? Man that is where I draw the line on this PC World :argh:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
poo poo has any looting actually happened since the initial few nights?

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Rodney King beating in the 60s?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

and here's one from a thread favorite!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sir Rolo posted:

Holy poo poo, Muir.

Is there proof the guy even has an injury? Even if there was that doesn't put the cop in any reasonable light nor make Brown in the wrong for doing it, but just checking.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The x-ray that's been going around was from University of Iowa and dated summer 2013 (but was poorly photoshopped to remove the date and location).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I hate to ask this, because it's several levels worse than I'd like to imagine, but- has anyone watched the execution video? Could this cartoon be based directly on it?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 23, 2014

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Discendo Vox posted:

I hate to ask this, because it's several levels worse I'd like to imagine, but- has anyone watched the execution video? Could this cartoon be based directly on it?

It totally is, down to the orange shirt and how everyone is posed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
God damnit. This is The Worst. I don't think it's possible to top this, it's worse than the Vilerat cartoons by an order of magnitude. The only way Ramirez could top this is if he staged the video himself so he'd have something to make a cartoon about.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Discendo Vox posted:

I hate to ask this, because it's several levels worse I'd like to imagine, but- has anyone watched the execution video? Could this cartoon be based directly on it?

I make it a policy not to watch those sort of videos but I've seen stills of the "before" bits and yes, it's more to less directly based on Foley's murder. Ramirez has made some poo poo cartoons in his time but for cheapening an atrocity I think this one rates as his worst. For now, at least.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I can understand using the video to make a political cartoon, if you really feel that way about Obama's foreign policy then there are ways to justify using it in terms of the strength of its rhetorical impact (though I'd still find it distasteful in the extreme). But Ramirez just changes the face of one participant and slaps some labels on it. Why not make the executioner look like Obama? Why label Uncle Sam? Why not show Obama standing there doing nothing? It's not just that it's exploitative in an incredibly unpleasant way, it's that it does it so, so, so ineptly.

I'm kinda surprised the executioner isn't just labeled "DEBT".

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Label the ISIS guy "Micheal Ramirez"

Label Uncle Sam "Me"

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

There's basically no chance at all Wilson has sustained a life-risking injury right? I mean it's got to be standard protocol to photograph injuries for insurance and court proceedings and the PD has already showed it was happy to release anything that they thought would hurt Brown's credibility - which makes me think that the most they've got is some photo of a cop with a black eye or something.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You want a political cartoon from back in the '60s? I'll give you a cartoon from back in the 60s.

Is this a McCoy or a Lester? I can't find the signature

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is this a McCoy or a Lester? I can't find the signature

It's 150 years old so that narrows it down to Asay or Kirschen.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Discendo Vox posted:

I hate to ask this, because it's several levels worse than I'd like to imagine, but- has anyone watched the execution video? Could this cartoon be based directly on it?

That's more or less directly from it. Almost down to very pose.

The knife was a bit smaller though, and Foley was dressed in all orange.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

The Iron Rose posted:

That's more or less directly from it. Almost down to very pose.

The knife was a bit smaller though, and Foley was dressed in all orange.

The news has been showing stills from the video and some of the footage before the killing, and this resembles one of the stills.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

God damnit. This is The Worst. I don't think it's possible to top this, it's worse than the Vilerat cartoons by an order of magnitude. The only way Ramirez could top this is if he staged the video himself so he'd have something to make a cartoon about.

I still kinda think Beeler's is worse just because he tried to make a gag out of it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

So @billmon1 and other cool people on twitter are tweeting about what a racist gently caress head Gary McCoy is. That's neat

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TheGreenAvenger posted:

The news has been showing stills from the video and some of the footage before the killing, and this resembles one of the stills.

Ah. I've mostly been following the ME thread for my news, so I generally don't bother watching the big networks much.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Beautiful, just beautiful.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
I got in the habit of watching the news when I got Hulu Plus, and it does make some of the cartoons that seem to come from nowhere suddenly make sense. They usually follow the news' talking points.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Oh please, please let this happen...the irony would be soooo delicious :allears:

That's a really, really good Perry :stare:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It needs the glasses.

vvvvv Oh, I know, but it woulda been great.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 23, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Unfortunately he had the sense to not wear them in the actual mugshot which Bennett has reproduced here.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Easy enough fix for that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Golden. May I send it to Bennett?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MariusLecter posted:

Label the ISIS guy "Micheal Ramirez"

Label Uncle Sam "Me"

No.

Label the executioner "Me".

Label Uncle Sam "Micheal Ramirez".

That cartoon will make me happy.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Post 9-11 User posted:

Is there a gif that displays, "Suck scalding hot devil cunts in lava forever"?

A Blingy, maybe? Place it here, thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Label the executioner Ramirez, label Uncle Sam "journalism"

:golfclap:

• Locked thread