Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Burial at Sea. It was pretty cool. Story made no sense, but neither did Infinite's ending. I'm glad they retconned at least one thing.

They need to make a Paris-shock next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If I'm only going to play one Splinter Cell, should I play Blacklist or Conviction?

I already played Chaos Theory, so don't be a dork and suggest that because that's not one of the options.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

If I'm only going to play one Splinter Cell, should I play Blacklist or Conviction?

I already played Chaos Theory, so don't be a dork and suggest that because that's not one of the options.

Blacklist.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Drifter posted:

If you have both I say play Conviction first as Blacklist has better gameplay and you probably won't want to turn back to Conviction afterwards. And, if you don't like the combat focused Conviction, just skip it to Blacklist where you don't need to use it!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gentleman and scholor Lex Averial gifted me this game on January 14th, 2014. Just wanted to say thanks!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Even if they hadn't fixed the stealth in Blacklist (which they did) it would still be a better game than Conviction. Mostly because it's more fun spy stuff and less of Fisher growling about his daughter.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

doctor 7 posted:

If you have both I say play Conviction first as Blacklist has better gameplay and you probably won't want to turn back to Conviction afterwards. And, if you don't like the combat focused Conviction, just skip it to Blacklist where you don't need to use it!

This is good advice. Conviction is a solid game that's worth playing but Blacklist is great. You can stealth a lot of the levels in Conviction if you want but it's a pain in the rear end and you feel like you're breaking the game doing it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I haven't played any of the Splinter Cells which one should I play first?

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

If I haven't played any of the Splinter Cells which one should I play first?

Chaos Theory -> Double Agent -> Conviction -> Blacklist.

Alternative list if you don't care about continuity: Chaos Theory, Blacklist.

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 23, 2014

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
After a five year hiatus, I'm finally back into PC gaming. While the years with Xbox 360 were not bad at all, I don't miss the subscription fees nor the need to buy physical copies of most games.

Anyways, a couple of questions. First of all, would you guys recommend playing through both MGS2 and MGS3 before diving into Revengeance? Is there any lore or story related stuff that would fly over my head if I didn't play the games in the main series? I'm currently hunting down a copy of Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for the aforementioned 360, because I didn't get a chance to experience them when they were originally released. The original Metal Gear Solid I have played through though.

Second, is there a preferred order to completing the character chapters in Resident Evil 6? From what I've heard, Chris's campaign is lovely, but would it be better to get that out of the way immediately or leave it for last to see if the game is interesting enough for a full playthrough?

To add some random game praise, I'm currently enjoying the hell out of the new Tomb Raider from 2013. Since I have never been that much into Tomb Raider since the PSX era, I had virtually no expectations and braced myself for the worst. Color me surprised when I found myself marathoning the game in a matter of three or four days. A more appropriate title for the game would've been The Passion of the Croft though, because holy hell does Lara get beaten, bruised and abused throughout her journey. My wife enquired what the hell I was doing when half the sound effects of the game were either soft sobbing, cries of pain or other disturbing moans. Despite being somewhat unsettled by Lara's sufferings, the game is rock solid both visually and gameplay-wise. This is probably one of the most, if not the most beautiful video game I've experienced thus far. The game as a whole reminds me of Resident Evil 4 for some reason, probably because of the hefty amount of over the top cinematic cutscenes, setpiece gunfights and the melee-sprinkled gunplay. Speaking of combat, the bow is a goddamn satisfying weapon to use. There's just some visceral enjoyment in landing a headshot on an approaching enemy. The story isn't half-bad either, although some of the characters are so stereotypical (a token Maori noble savage guy, a narcissistic monomaniac professor, an ex-drunk Scottsman, come on!) it waters down some of the immersion. All the collectibles excluding the journal notes and maybe the relics could've also been removed, since they don't really add anything to the game except extra playtime for people with OCD. Despite the minor flaws, this has been the game of the year for me. Hopefully Rise of the Tomb Raider turns out to be a timed exclusive. :ohdear:

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 23, 2014

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
For RE6, just get Chris's story out of the way, then do Leon's, then Jake's. If you're not burnt out by that point (it happens), then do Ada's if you feel like it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

These Loving Eyes posted:

After a five year hiatus, I'm finally back into PC gaming. While the years with Xbox 360 were not bad at all, I don't miss the subscription fees nor the need to buy physical copies of most games.

Anyways, a couple of questions. First of all, would you guys recommend playing through both MGS2 and MGS3 before diving into Revengeance? Is there any lore or story related stuff that would fly over my head if I didn't play the games in the main series? I'm currently hunting down a copy of Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for the aforementioned 360, because I didn't get a chance to experience them when they were originally released. The original Metal Gear Solid I have played through though.

Depends on how much you care about "The Metal Gear World" as opposed to Revengeance itself. You can quite happily drop into Revengeance and be like, "OK, I'm a Japanese cyborg ninja and those guys are stealing An African President, let's go" and not really miss out on anything. They do refer to The War Economy and The Patriots maybe twice, but if you realise that these were A Bad Thing and Some Bad Guys respectively you'll be fine.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

These Loving Eyes posted:

There is a lot of background stuff you won't understand if you haven't played through MGS2 and MGS4 (MGS4 in particular, as a lot of enemies are straight up just taken from MGS4), but the game's plot is mostly standalone and you can get by without having played the other games. Just know that Raiden/Jack is a child soldier who later became a cyborg man.

Now if you wanna play Ground Zeroes and/or The Phantom Pain, that's a different matter entirely. In order to understand the basic plot, you'll need to have played both MGS3 and Peace Walker. And if you wanna understand its place in the timeline, you need to play all of them. The Metal Gear storyline is a dark place from which there is no return.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You don't need to play earlier Metal Gears to understand Revengeance as it's a spin off. Of course they're worth playing in their own right but MGS3 has nothing to do with Raiden as he appears in 2 and 4. So play them if you want and watch Chip Cheezums LP of 4 to get caught up on why Raiden's the way he is in Revengeance. Or just read the wiki or just play Revengeance and listen to the codecs which will fill you in on any relevant backstory.
Just remember that Revengeance is not a sneaking game, it's an action game like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry. When you do play it please parry and buy the dodge move!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Alternatively you could just watch MGS cutscenes on Youtube, there are alot of them. Some of the mission briefing/act intros are like 40 minutes long in MGS4.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Sober posted:

Some of the mission briefing/act intros are like 40 minutes long in MGS4.

There was a codec conversation near the end of MGS2 that went on for over an hour. Just an hour of static images spewing bullshit at one another.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Hand of Fate from the humble weekly bundle is pretty fuckin cool, if anyone was wondering.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lance Streetman posted:

There was a codec conversation near the end of MGS2 that went on for over an hour. Just an hour of static images spewing bullshit at one another.

I watched an LP of MGS2 while off sick from work. It only made me sicker.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

You can now see your unredeemed humble keys at https://www.humblebundle.com/home (at the bottom) and Titanfall is free to play for 48 hours over at Origin.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Konami really needs to port the MGS series and put it on Steam. I doubt they'd be able to do 4 though, it's too PS3 dependent apparently to ever untangle.

Helith fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 23, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Helith posted:

Konami really needs to port the MGS series and put it on Steam. I doubt they'd be able to do 4 though, it's too PS3 dependent apparently to ever untangle.
It seems like they're doing that for the new games at least.

MGS 1&2 already have PC ports as well :v:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
They just need to port 3 and PW since those are the most important for understanding GZ/TPP. They're also the most fun games in the series. Plus it's not like MGS1 has aged very well in terms of playability. I have no idea the quality of the MGS2 PC port but it's already out there somewhere in CD form.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

They just need to port 3 and PW since those are the most important for understanding GZ/TPP. They're also the most fun games in the series. Plus it's not like MGS1 has aged very well in terms of playability. I have no idea the quality of the MGS2 PC port but it's already out there somewhere in CD form.

MGS2 is a pretty awful PC port, from what I remember.

E: As in, think of the sins that a port can commit, and they're probably there.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

You can now see your unredeemed humble keys at https://www.humblebundle.com/home (at the bottom) and Titanfall is free to play for 48 hours over at Origin.

Thanks for the info. Turns out I already have the only two games I haven't redeemed, so they're for goons:

Paranautical activity
Stacking

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

MGS2 is the worst PC port of all time
MGS2 uses pressure-sensitive triggers when shooting, there is zero done to emulate it in port. My friend beat the whole game "shooting in accurate bursts", I couldn't handle it past the first levels.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

As an added bonus, think of all the sins an MGS game can commit, and they're definitely there.

KineticCapitalist
Jan 4, 2014

Doldrums. Doldrums. Eviler than the Devil. Boredom makes men to villains.

Thanks for this!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Konami teaming up with Platinum was a big goddamn deal since it's not just Konami trusting another developer with the Metal Gear franchise, but also trusting them to deliver on a PC port. I don't know if Revengeance being the best character action game in a long time and apparently doing gangbusters on Steam was the main reason MGSV is getting a port, but it definitely had a hand in convincing Konami to give a green light on that.

I hope it does convince them to put out an HD collection or whatever on PC. Capcom could've done the same thing with DMC, but Capcom is Capcom after all. I'm pretty sure Konami has their heads screwed on a bit better than them.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'd be surprised and impressed if they even ran on modern systems.
I should have said that Konami needs to report the MGS series.
At least the new ones are coming to Steam, but I'm greedy and want the old ones too and Revengeance 2 while we're at it with a finely sliced cherry on top.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think they went in assuming the FOX engine would be used on multiple platforms, rather than designing the special little flower that was MGS4.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

That's neat, but it seems to be a bit inaccurate for older purchases. I had a frighteningly long list of keys, but they've actually all been used (with two exceptions). I can't tell if it's because they've provided the keys through other means or because they were claimed so long ago that they didn't have the “claim on steam” button yet.

The only thing left when that was cleared up was my two Carmageddon gift keys: https://humblebundle.com/s?gift=NUC244camGnuancR and https://humblebundle.com/s?gift=zmxucxpZRUFr7dtK — they should unlock (along with some bonus content) if/when they ever finish that silly thing. :D

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Tippis posted:

The only thing left when that was cleared up was my two Carmageddon gift keys: https://humblebundle.com/s?gift=NUC244camGnuancR

I grabbed this, thanks! Am now taking a look at my unredeemed keys, here's some to pay it forward:

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Fez
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians
Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight 2012

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

toasterwarrior posted:

Konami teaming up with Platinum was a big goddamn deal since it's not just Konami trusting another developer with the Metal Gear franchise, but also trusting them to deliver on a PC port. I don't know if Revengeance being the best character action game in a long time and apparently doing gangbusters on Steam was the main reason MGSV is getting a port, but it definitely had a hand in convincing Konami to give a green light on that.

There's that but the new consoles are also just x86 PCs shoved into a shoebox like the OG Xbox. Like if you look back at the previous round of Konami PC ports they're all based on the Xbox One (the first) versions because hey we have working x86/OpenGL or whatever versions of these games, why not publish them on PC?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Thanks for this

Kingsley
Apr 21, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Glare Seethe posted:

I grabbed this, thanks! Am now taking a look at my unredeemed keys, here's some to pay it forward:

I grabbed Fez, thanks! Here's some of my own:

Bioshock
Deadlight
Mirror's Edge

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
All 3 sniped already. Im still lacking mirrors edge somehow myself.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

FrickenMoron posted:

All 3 sniped already. Im still lacking mirrors edge somehow myself.

I got you covered. :) Add me on Steam and I'll send over my unredeemed key.

edit: Or post your ID so I know it's you and not someone else!

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 23, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Glare Seethe posted:

I got you covered. :) Add me on Steam and I'll send over my unredeemed key.

edit: Or post your ID so I know it's you and not someone else!

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960297100/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Drifter posted:

Blacklist by far. It's so much better than Conviction it's not even funny. You even have your own Airforce One base of operations with upgrades etc. Conviction is ok especially compared to Double Agent but meh if you choose one game go for Blacklist. It also has the benefit of being actually challenging and addressing numerous gameplay problems the series had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I apologize for unloading my junk in such an unsightly fashion but here you go. Should all be working.

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
RIJ07-YWM52-32LTY
LIMBO MHB28-GF07Y-TWRZV
Brazen Prototype (4x) A8TPW-3NKF3-53HVD 3WC0L-X2HMQ-EVEWC A9CNM-GKFQ7-673FB VBNGK-VMYDT-0DJKQ
Cortex Command A22WR-M3ILL-QD2D0
Humble Indie Bundle #2 Steam Key FYV2N-RMY5C-9SWNM-F6ZZ3-KI4SK
Multiwinia Multiplayer Key MPKTEJ-LHWWRE-VJJPYJ-FREGNJ-AGP
DEFCON Multiplayer Key SNGFZQ-DTXJMF-XVOGGT-NXLBOM-HOY
Gish PPLX4-J84Z6-Z624D
Gratuitous Space Battles Multiplayer Key D613-3W95-GV45-8
Humble Indie Bundle #1 Steam Key 76E2B-9T85S-93DAF-9V5N4-4WX2M
Humble Indie Bundle #3 Steam Key JXM5X-FDW30-RDXEF

Crusaders Kings 2
Killing Floor
Zeno Clash
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine