Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think key is to understand that you don't need really specialized paradigms. Rav/Rav/Sab for example is nice to get some debuffs while also focusing on the stagger, and great for fights which are easy enough to not require buffs (but long enough so debuffs make it noticeably faster). Also, Sab doubles as semi-Com. Have Med/Syn/Sab for healing, so while healing you can also buff up, meaning you don't need to heal as often in the future. Or only have Sen/Med/Med for healing in emergencies, no other healing. gently caress stuff like Sen/Com/Rav, it slows you down far too much and you have to stop at some point to heal regardless.

Basically, get creative and mix it up. You can also adjust your strategy depending on the actual encounter, like some frogs only need Rav/Rav/Com while a Behemoth needs you to start with Syn/Sab/Med. And don't forget to Summon, it's sometimes pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rei_ posted:

Like did everyone else just spend the entire game in tricasting? It felt like the game goes to great lengths starting with Chapter 11 to have you buffing and debuffing a lot.

More or less, I guess. I usually start in RAV/SAB/SYN, switch to either SAB/RAV/RAV or COM/RAV/RAV depending on situation, keep SEN/MED/MED in the back pocket for healing, and use SEN/MED/SYN as an alternate healer to refresh buffs and RAV/RAV/RAV for when something needs to be staggered right the gently caress now. Never had a problem until postgame with this setup.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Here is a preview scan of Final Fantasy Explorers on Famitsu's website:

This shows the Hunter and Paladin jobs. FF Explorers is a Monster Hunter type game where the player uses different FF jobs to fight Summons and other monsters. The release date is December 18 for Japan. There are also three new videos on Square-Enix's Japanese Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/squareenix/videos

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So it's basically like PSO?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
So I thought I'd finally beat FF2 and got the PSP version.

I...think i overleveled a bit. I was using Minwu's Teleport spell to grind stats off Captains in Fynn and now im just going to Salamand and my guys all have 2500 hp and near max magic and weapon stats.

When will I see challenge?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Dubious posted:

Don't grind FF games if you want challenge.

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

Dubious posted:

So I thought I'd finally beat FF2 and got the PSP version.

I...think i overleveled a bit. I was using Minwu's Teleport spell to grind stats off Captains in Fynn and now im just going to Salamand and my guys all have 2500 hp and near max magic and weapon stats.

FF2 PSP is not a difficult game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm playing the Origins version of FF2 off PSN and I'm doing a sort of pseudo-Class Challenge similar to what I did for VIII. Only this works better because stats actually grow with what you use. So Maria, as my Black Mage, will naturally gain magic stats faster while having low HP and Endurance while Guy, my Monk, has a ton of HP and Endurance because every enemy keeps targeting his poor, completely unarmored self. I can't believe thatat's a mere coincidence as he's always getting attacked more than Firion. Maria is in the back row so that's probably why she gets hit less but Guy takes way more punishment than Firion. Oh and Firion is a Paladin. DS Cecil could use Shell and Protect so I feel justified in giving those to Firion later on.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 23, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Waldean posted:

FF2 PSP is not a difficult game.

Kinda learning that, but it's not un-fun either. I tried it years ago on the NES rom and it was just poo poo poo poo poo poo

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

...Vivi has pretty clearly been around longer than that, based on the time he spent with Quale.

You just reminded me how morbid that part of the story was: Quale was trying to fatten Vivi up so he could eat him. Poor little guy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm pretty sure there is a line from one of the Black Mages that says Kuja told him "the older models" lived longer. Or the prototype... Something like that. Point is, Vivi lives longer than the normal Black Mages in the village.

They never did mention what happened to the Genomes though. Unlike Kuja, they probably are immortal but they don't have souls. I wonder what they did in the Black Mages Village once all the Black Mages passed away.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

SSNeoman posted:

So it's basically like PSO?

Probably more like Monster Hunter.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
FF Explorers looks kinda like Ragnarok Odyssey, to me. Could be neat.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's definitely a wait-and-see game. I like the genre and the concept of bringing FF classes to Monster Hunter has potential but I'm not going to buy in on SE's foray into it blindly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

bloodychill posted:

It's definitely a wait-and-see game. I like the genre and the concept of bringing FF classes to Monster Hunter has potential but I'm not going to buy in on SE's foray into it blindly.

It's their second attempt and the first was pretty bland.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009
Does anyone have the current consensus on f15 being value enough to buy into current console systems?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Sagnid posted:

Does anyone have the current consensus on f15 being value enough to buy into current console systems?

There's no reason to buy a new console in preparation of FF15. If it's literally the only game you're looking forward to, wait for it to come out and there might be a price drop on the consoles by then.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

There's no reason to buy a new console in preparation of FF15. If it's literally the only game you're looking forward to, wait for it to come out and there might be a price drop on the consoles by then.

Thanks for the advice. I still have hopes that they will just port the game too the PC.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dubious posted:

Kinda learning that, but it's not un-fun either. I tried it years ago on the NES rom and it was just poo poo poo poo poo poo

FF2's remake has better stat gains (though it fixes a few power leveling bugs) and you gain HP naturally at times rather than having to beat on your own party. Plus the extra dungeons you can go in include one where you can pick up Osmose spellbooks, so you don't have to sit around farming wizards for hours hoping for extras. Spells like Toad are still game breakingly powerful though. As is getting Haste/Berserk/Aura up to level 10 or so if you want to just wreck poo poo left and right with melee.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sagnid posted:

Thanks for the advice. I still have hopes that they will just port the game too the PC.

you're quite the optimist then, im still not convinced it'll ever come out

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is the PSP version the Dawn of Souls version? Everyone I've talked to says DoS made both FF1 and 2 easier.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Evil Fluffy posted:

As is getting Haste/Berserk/Aura up to level 10 or so if you want to just wreck poo poo left and right with melee.
Aura is kind of mediocre, but Haste and Berserk are loving absurd even at low spell levels.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

NikkolasKing posted:

Is the PSP version the Dawn of Souls version? Everyone I've talked to says DoS made both FF1 and 2 easier.

I'm almost positive all of the rereleases of those two have been based on DoS, yeah. 1 was absolutely piss-easy, minus the superbosses at the end of the third bonus dungeon. 2 was a bit more difficult, but still nowhere near as bad as the original.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

you're quite the optimist then, im still not convinced it'll ever come out

I am sure SE will make us wait a decade or two and then release it on steam way over valued.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

The PSP version is based on Dawn of Souls, but split into two, and with a few extras.

Final Fantasy I 20th Anniversary Edition has the bonus dungeons from Dawn of Souls, as well as an extra bonus dungeon (the Labyrinth of Time), and an art gallery as well as an FMV one.

The Final Fantasy II one has the DoS bonus stuff, with the addition of a new set (the Arcane Labyrinth), and the art and FMV galleries.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

dis astranagant posted:

It's their second attempt and the first was pretty bland.

Which was the first?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Which was the first?

Lord of Arcana/Apocalypse for PSP and Vita, respectively. I never played Apocalypse but Arcana was mediocre at best and really quite bad at worst.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sagnid posted:

If you were thinking of getting a PS4 anyway, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has been very fun as both my first MMO and as a solo experience. One of the reasons FFXV has taken so long is because from 2011-2013 the entire company was focused on rebuilding FFXIV from the ground up, with the help of a fantastic new director.

As someone who's been following Versus XIII/XV for years, it's best to just forget about it until there's a hard release date. Better yet, just get Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD and play the two best Kingdom Hearts games, which have very similar combat to XV.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009
I also enjoyed the new FF mmorpg but on a pc. Now news of a Kingdom Hearts game in development, along with FF15 may perhaps push me over the cliff on picking up a ps4.

Thanks for the heads up.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Lord of Arcana/Apocalypse for PSP and Vita, respectively. I never played Apocalypse but Arcana was mediocre at best and really quite bad at worst.

The big difference there is Lord of Arcana/Apocalypse was only published by Square Enix. They're developing Explorers themselves.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The big difference there is Lord of Arcana/Apocalypse was only published by Square Enix. They're developing Explorers themselves.

Fair point, either way I think that's what they were referring to as the first MH clone Square-Enix attempted.

Tauschemo
Jul 11, 2011

Sagnid posted:

I also enjoyed the new FF mmorpg but on a pc. Now news of a Kingdom Hearts game in development, along with FF15 may perhaps push me over the cliff on picking up a ps4.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm in the same boat. This may finally push me into a console.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FF2 is weird. I had a couple Game Overs in the Snow Cave because I was being stingy with my items. We hadn't gotten much Gil up to this point and I wasn't going to waste it on Potions or whatever. But after those two Game Overs I went back and stocked up on 25 of them and 2 emergency Hi Potions. Ended up using pretty much all of it by the end of the dungeon. They just won't leave Guy alone.

Anyway, why the game is weird, Firion with his amazing set of Armor and sword could do 0 damage to the Adamantoise while it did 100 damage to him in one shot. Firion only had about 120 HP so two hits and he was down. I guess I should be glad the thing didn't hit Maria - she only has 75 HP and would be killed in one hit more than likely. Meanwhile there was Gus and Josef, completely unarmored and with bare fists, able to do about 50 damage to the thing while it could only do about 60 damage to them. Gus almost had 300 Hp by this point so what did that matter.

So Firion decked out with the best equipment was totally useless while Maria with her Ice Magic and the other two saved the day. I guess if i ever have to fight a giant monster turtle, I should just punch it to death instead of trying to grab a weapon.

Now it's onto Kas'Ion and Gordon. Finally have a respectable amount of Gil though so I bought Firion a Life Scroll straight away. Probably going to need that.... Also Maria can finally actually be a Black Mage now she has Ice. We haven't been able to get any other attack magic up to this point that I know of so she has just been kinda worthless with her bow attacks.

Oh and I forgot to mention my second Game Over was because I was thinking "okay, I'll get most of the treasures and a lot of Gil from random encounters then Warp out and go heal." So i get all the way to the Ancient Sword and then guess what happens. Gus is down, Josef is nearly dead and I figure it's a good time to leave now I have that. Only...Warp won't work. What the hell. I can only assume I have to level it up? i didn't count on that crap. While trying to run from the dungeon I died because Flee is absolutely useless in this game.

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005
An important thing to know about FF2 is that the back row isn't just damage reduction - the back row won't get hit by melee at all while there's something in the front row. This lets you have one guy in the front row that can get evasion built up and leave the rest in the back row and not have to worry about it. They can't melee, so you need to have them use bows or magic (toad).

This LP does a good job of showing the mechanics of it: http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-II/.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Put all but one character in the back row and give the front row dude two shields and you'll be virtually invulnerable to melee attacks

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
And I just beat FF3 NES. Not a bad game, except for a few issues.

1. CP costs to change jobs is just too high. You can't really afford to experiment. Enemies give piddly amounts of CP until the very end of the game, when you almost certainly will not want to be changing your jobs anyway.

2. Holy poo poo the Ambushed/Back Attack rate. As far as I can tell, it's heavily dependent on the level difference between you and the enemies, but enemy levels jump obscenely high towards the end, where I was level 30 and they were in the 50's. End result was getting ambushed or back attacked in about 75% of encounters.

3. Cloud of Darkness is a terrible last boss. A final boss with one move, really? And since that one move does over half the HP of my entire team, and over twice as much as I could heal per turn, it turned into a horrible slog of sucking Elixirs and casting Life2. I had to shamelessly restore to a save state before the fight about 20 times to get the conditions just right to win. Also, the last time you could save was about 4 hours ago.

I suppose spending another hour or two grinding could've solved these problems, but I'm not a fan of grinding.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

So Firion decked out with the best equipment was totally useless while Maria with her Ice Magic and the other two saved the day. I guess if i ever have to fight a giant monster turtle, I should just punch it to death instead of trying to grab a weapon.
Barefisted uses a weird damage formula to compensate for the whole "not having a weapon" part, but Adamantoise is supposed to be a gate to check if you've been using magic. Bad design? Definitely, but at least even a Lv0 Ice spell is fairly effective.

Schwartzcough posted:

1. CP costs to change jobs is just too high. You can't really afford to experiment. Enemies give piddly amounts of CP until the very end of the game, when you almost certainly will not want to be changing your jobs anyway.
On the NES, you aren't really meant to change jobs that much except for upgrading your classes (or for certain bosses like where you're supposed to use the Scholar or the Lancer). Oh, and to change to a class that gives you tons of HP on level up like Black Belt or Master.

quote:

3. Cloud of Darkness is a terrible last boss. A final boss with one move, really? And since that one move does over half the HP of my entire team, and over twice as much as I could heal per turn, it turned into a horrible slog of sucking Elixirs and casting Life2. I had to shamelessly restore to a save state before the fight about 20 times to get the conditions just right to win. Also, the last time you could save was about 4 hours ago.
Now imagine this, except on the 3DS where Cloud of Darkness actually has one extra attack that only targets one character, but it gets three or four attacks every round.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

Now imagine this, except on the 3DS where Cloud of Darkness actually has one extra attack that only targets one character, but it gets three or four attacks every round.

She actually gets two turns like any other boss. Her tentacles are now separate targets and have their own turns.

If you're protected against status effects, you just need to take out the one casting Lightning, and she won't cast Particle Beam until low on health in that version.

Still a terrible final boss at the end of two dumb dungeons.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Waldean posted:

An important thing to know about FF2 is that the back row isn't just damage reduction - the back row won't get hit by melee at all while there's something in the front row. This lets you have one guy in the front row that can get evasion built up and leave the rest in the back row and not have to worry about it. They can't melee, so you need to have them use bows or magic (toad).

This LP does a good job of showing the mechanics of it: http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-II/.

Mak0rz posted:

Put all but one character in the back row and give the front row dude two shields and you'll be virtually invulnerable to melee attacks

I've heard about some of this in here before and FF2 does seem like it's the easiest game in the series to break apart from FF8 but I'm trying to do a challenge run.
Firion - Paladin. Heavy Armor, Sword and Shield, White Magic. I also suppose he shouldn't use any "evil swords" like Ancient Sword or Blood Sword. Everyone says Blood Sword trivializes the final boss so I guess it's a good thing I'm avoiding it.
Maria - Black Mage. Back row with Bow, Light Armor and well, Black Magic.
Gus - Monk. No weapons or armor at all.
4th Character - I have no idea, whatever they come with I suppose. I haven't had to modify Gordon or Josef's setup. I don't intend to give them any spells though.

In a billion hours when Leon rejoins my party I guess I'll try and play him like a real Dark Knight.

The White Dragon posted:

Barefisted uses a weird damage formula to compensate for the whole "not having a weapon" part, but Adamantoise is supposed to be a gate to check if you've been using magic. Bad design? Definitely, but at least even a Lv0 Ice spell is fairly effective.

But there's been no attack magic in the game up to this point! All I had was Ice which I got in the exact same dungeon as Adamantoise. You're just supposed to have three meat shields with one character using all 5 MP to attack it? I mean I guess you could have built up their MP stock with other spells but I don't think any of the spells I've seen to buy have been remotely useful. Fear? Esuna? Waste of Gil which is not that plentiful and everything is expensive enough as is.

And I just frickin' ran into an Adamantoise as a regular enemy in Kas'Ion Castle! The gently caress. It killed Firion and Guy and we barely managed to escape witH Maria using her precious remaining 1 MP to kill it. Had to run all the way out of the castle and back to Bafsk to revive them because hell if i can afford Phoenix Downs and Firion, as my Paladin, is the only one with Life.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

But there's been no attack magic in the game up to this point! All I had was Ice which I got in the exact same dungeon as Adamantoise. You're just supposed to have three meat shields with one character using all 5 MP to attack it? I mean I guess you could have built up their MP stock with other spells but I don't think any of the spells I've seen to buy have been remotely useful. Fear? Esuna? Waste of Gil which is not that plentiful and everything is expensive enough as is.

You can buy Fire, Blizzard, and Thunder in the very first town (Altair).