Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug
Excuse me ahead of time if this has been covered earlier in the thread.

I recently started moving away from my "laziness and convenience is king" methodology when it comes to brewing coffee. This means that I bought a Cuisinox 3-cup Stainless steel moka pot, bought crappy grocery store beans, a hand burr grinder and have been using my Keurig less and less. I'm still a lazy SoB, so as much as I love coffee I don't want to put in a ton of work. In addition, I tend to err on the side of sweeter is better, for the most part with my coffee.

My question is this: I know that when brewing with a moka pot, pre-heating the water can help to not burn the coffee. I tried it and I can't bring myself to do it every time since it's a little more work than I'm used to. I started just brewing at a lower temperature and closing the lid and removing the pot from heat as soon as the coffee started to pour out. Is this a decent method for avoiding burned coffee? I haven't noticed a huge difference in taste so far. Also, a friend of mind who has the same setup swears by putting a little bit of sugar on top of the grounds to mitigate some potential bitterness. Is this absolute blasphemy? Or is it a decent way to mellow out the flavor? Any other tips or tricks for a new moka pot user?

Thanks in advance!

tl;dr: I'm a lazy gently caress who likes lovely coffee but wants to change a tiny bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

nm posted:

Ok, so I'm in London and have tried a bunch of the places recommended (will do a trip report at some point), but seriously, what does London have against natural process coffee. Only Caravan has had any and it was cold brew only (which was fine as it gets warm in their Kings Cross store).

Squaremile is a big one I've seen according to the London coffee book. Have you seen that? There's one for NYC too. And maybe even an app?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Alleric posted:

How did you come out of that... normal?

I love my press pots, so neener-neener. :)
Ha, normal is certainly a relative term. Press pots, for when you want your coffee more chewable :) Only a step above using a paper filter :smug: Neener-neener indeed :coffeepal:

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

porktree posted:

Ha, normal is certainly a relative term. Press pots, for when you want your coffee more chewable :) Only a step above using a paper filter :smug: Neener-neener indeed :coffeepal:

Tru dat. Everybody's got their kink.

And as for chewy coffee. Indeed. One day it occurred to me that my two brew methods of choice are espresso and press... I guess somewhere along the line the coffee part of my brain decided that filters are for pussies (like maybe that part of the line where I grew up on perc). I kid, of course, good coffee can come from many sources.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MasterControl posted:

Squaremile is a big one I've seen according to the London coffee book. Have you seen that? There's one for NYC too. And maybe even an app?

Squaremile is a roaster only. I think I had their beans as a guest somewhere.
Place I did not manage to make it to, which was very highly recommended by baristas here is bulldog edition in shoreditch and they brew squaremile beans.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just upgraded from a Baratza Encore to the Baratza Preciso. Best $300 ever. Espresso is so much easier to dial in now. The Preciso also grinds a lot faster.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Fleetwood posted:

Any goons here have experience with the Yama Vacuum Brewer?

http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/brewing/coffee-brewers/vacuum-brewers/yama-vacuum-brewer.html

I'm looking for something basic and non-plastic. The Yama is an intriguing product although I'm leaning towards a basic percolator instead.

I've been using the 8-cup Yama for 8-10 years (iirc). Daily for a while, now just on weekends because my commute is horrific and I would rather be tired on the train than make coffee in the AM. I still use it on weekends and any time I am not feeling like doing a pour-over (or in addition to a pour-over if I have company and we're going to need a lot of coffee).

I really like the coffee it makes. It's easy to play around with the amount of grounds and the brew time. I can definitely taste a huge difference between bean varieties. The biggest drawback for me is my own clumsiness. I need to build a new stand for the top pot since mine half melted from being too close to a hot oven. In 7-8yrs, I've broken and replaced each piece once.

I end up varying the amount of grounds based on the coffee that I'm using, but my general process is:
  • fill pot with water, heat to boiling, reduce heat to minimum
  • Grind beans (can go quite fine with the filters, but I usually go somewhere in between drip coffee and pour-over, tho I'm still tweaking the grind on the latter for my V60)
  • add beans to upper pot, carefully place onto bottom pot
  • start a timer when the grounds are wet
  • stir for 25-45 seconds
  • cut the heat and give the water in the top pot a swirl (for easier cleaning)
  • return in a few minutes, pour, and drink
I used to keep the heat on for a full minute and then move it off the burner and onto a cooler heat sink (room temp marble slab) when it was done, but I like this better.

n.b. my stove will boil water on the lowest setting (gas stove)

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 14, 2014

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Boom

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I like the little toucan

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

dik-dik posted:

I like the little toucan

Same. Please give a review when you can.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Google Butt posted:

Same. Please give a review when you can.

I got the Behmor 1600 about 1.5 years ago and have loved it. Thought about upgrading to a Hottop or something else but just not worth it. Installed the Behmor 1600 Plus upgrade kit tonight, which gives you manual controls, can adjust heat/drum speed, you get access to two temperature read outs (exhaust and inside). Worked great for two roasts, and now it's deciding to throw errors on first crack, so not sure what's going on. Won't do a roast anymore.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You all were so helpful with London, what about Vienna?
I know they're famous for the coffeehouse and what not, but what if I want great coffee.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

MrEnigma posted:

I got the Behmor 1600 about 1.5 years ago and have loved it. Thought about upgrading to a Hottop or something else but just not worth it. Installed the Behmor 1600 Plus upgrade kit tonight, which gives you manual controls, can adjust heat/drum speed, you get access to two temperature read outs (exhaust and inside). Worked great for two roasts, and now it's deciding to throw errors on first crack, so not sure what's going on. Won't do a roast anymore.

Set mine up last night and just finished a roast.

What error code were you getting? Since you had a couple successful roasts, I'll assume it's not the unattended 30 second countdown thing.

I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing with these new controls. Is there any roasting theory book which would be applicable to the Behmor?

Edit: SM just put this up http://www.sweetmarias.com/library/node/9270

geetee fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 19, 2014

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

geetee posted:

Set mine up last night and just finished a roast.

What error code were you getting? Since you had a couple successful roasts, I'll assume it's not the unattended 30 second countdown thing.

I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing with these new controls. Is there any roasting theory book which would be applicable to the Behmor?

Edit: SM just put this up http://www.sweetmarias.com/library/node/9270

It was "err2" which means the roaster was getting to hot. When I was doing an auto profile the roaster gets to max temp and then cycles the heating element, in manual mode with 100% power it would never cycle it, so it would just continue heating until it tripped the code.

Behmor is sending me a new panel and a new temperature sensor so hopefully that fixes it. The good news is I can still use it the old way or watch it more closely on manual.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I'm planning on picking up a virtuoso this week.

Hoping to get some recommended grind/brew preferences from you guys.

My 2 brew methods are currently an aeropress or an 8 cup chemex if I need more to take with me to work in a thermos.

What are some great virtuoso grind settings and brew times that you guys like for aeropress and chemex? I do have a scale.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Try starting at 10 for Aeropress and 30 for Chemex then adjust from there depending how you find it coming out (ie. if under-extracted, tighten up the grind, if too bitter, make it coarser etc)

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010
I got this grinder used http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00009K3SW?vs=1 at some random thrift store. Better quality than my manual hario slim (I think) but I'm afraid the previous owner ground flavored coffee with it because the insides have a syrupy smell. Looks lightly used otherwise.

At the price I got it ($6) it's definitely worth my time to attempt cleaning it less it become a display piece. A lot of coffee websites say it can be cleaned by grinding a large amount of uncooked rice, parboiled rice, rice krispies, rolled oats, stale bread, or special cleaning tablets. Others say anything but coffee will destroy the burrs. Does anyone have any tips?

Wanna get any residual flavors out before I try some Elixr beans in it. :11tea:

Edit: tried grinding white rice. Burr wont spin and has nice chunks missing from where the motor shaft shear pin broke free during previous ownership. Apparently a chronic problem with this junk model. That's what I get for not testing at the store.

uncloudy day fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 20, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Uncooked rice works well. There are products out there you can use in the grinder that are designed to do the job, but I've had no problems using just rice.

Sucks that the grinder isn't really working though.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
Has anyone been able to fight back scaling on their bonavita kettle? Scrubbing and dezcal doesn't really seem to do anything. The buildup just seems to be getting worse.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

kim jong-illin posted:

Try starting at 10 for Aeropress and 30 for Chemex then adjust from there depending how you find it coming out (ie. if under-extracted, tighten up the grind, if too bitter, make it coarser etc)

I tried 8 for aeropress the first day and it was pretty solid but a little on the bitter side, scaled back to 10 today and it was just about perfect so far as I can tell.. I might try jumping to 12 tomorrow just for comparison's sake but I love how noticeable the change was.

I'm using a bonavita electric kettle and I set it at 195. Next step I guess will be to start using a timer so I can really tune it in for consistency.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The bonavita kettle has a timer built in. Press the + button after you take the kettle off the heat.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
So I modified my Air Crazy popcorn popper so that it runs the fan full time when its plugged in, and the switch operates the heat. I can now dial in the heat exactly as I want it for roasts, and as a bonus, the popper cools down faster after roasts, which will extend the life of the fan. Its pretty easy to do, too - just remove the connections from the thermostat, put them on the switch, and short the current wires that are attached to the switch. Works like a charm, results in a good roaster for 15$.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Bronze posted:

Has anyone been able to fight back scaling on their bonavita kettle? Scrubbing and dezcal doesn't really seem to do anything. The buildup just seems to be getting worse.

I put vinegar + water mix in mine for 2 hours, rinsed it out and it was good to go.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

dhrusis posted:

So I modified my Air Crazy popcorn popper so that it runs the fan full time when its plugged in, and the switch operates the heat. I can now dial in the heat exactly as I want it for roasts, and as a bonus, the popper cools down faster after roasts, which will extend the life of the fan. Its pretty easy to do, too - just remove the connections from the thermostat, put them on the switch, and short the current wires that are attached to the switch. Works like a charm, results in a good roaster for 15$.

Nice! I might give this a try since I have an air crazy sitting around that I'd basically ruined by removing the thermostat (last time I tried roasting with it I charred the beans and got pitting. That said I might just stick with my current HGDB method cause it's a bit less fiddly and I can roast ~2wks worth of beans at a time.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I actually have a modified air crazy I can sell you or anyone who wants it.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

dik-dik posted:

Nice! I might give this a try since I have an air crazy sitting around that I'd basically ruined by removing the thermostat (last time I tried roasting with it I charred the beans and got pitting. That said I might just stick with my current HGDB method cause it's a bit less fiddly and I can roast ~2wks worth of beans at a time.

If HGDB works for you, I'd stick with it.. its a great way to roast. For me, I couldn't get as even a roast as with the popper... Its still a good backup for me but I'm trying to get a really controlled roast for my espresso and when its uneven my Gaggia spits all over the place and I can't get the tamp right :-)

I'd say the modified Air Crazy method is quicker and less work, just turn it on and go. I was able to roast 1/3 lb in about 10 mins or less I'd say? More if I overload the machine and manually shake/stir until the beans are light enough to move on their own.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

dhrusis posted:

If HGDB works for you, I'd stick with it.. its a great way to roast. For me, I couldn't get as even a roast as with the popper... Its still a good backup for me but I'm trying to get a really controlled roast for my espresso and when its uneven my Gaggia spits all over the place and I can't get the tamp right :-)

I'd say the modified Air Crazy method is quicker and less work, just turn it on and go. I was able to roast 1/3 lb in about 10 mins or less I'd say? More if I overload the machine and manually shake/stir until the beans are light enough to move on their own.

Yeah, I love HGDB, and I'm definitely going to stick with it as my primary roasting method. The only reason I would try modding my Air Crazy is because I like tinkering with it.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
So, My Gaggia classic is tempramental as gently caress, or maybe not. I suspect this is how they all are, given my experience with other espresso makers (albeit not as good as the Gaggia Classic + Vario combo). It makes drat good espresso when paired with a Vario.. but I find myself having to change the settings a ton when I change beans. Perhaps I'm not roasting big enough batches to get some good consistency, as I roast about 1/3 to 1/2 lb at a time. I just changed beans for fun on a Friday afternoon and I had to pull 4 doubles while adjusting tamp/grind to move from one setting to another. It felt like a waste, but I learned something.

This classic has the OPV modded to 9bar, if that helps anyone. My two current bean settings are letter "N" on the fine adjustment for beans roasted to 2nd crack in the Air crazy, and "J / K" for another type of bean roasted to 2nd crack with HGDB. Not sure if the variations I'm seeing are as a result of the roasting method or the bean itself. I suspect both, but I have limited information. I find with HGDB my roast isn't as even as with the Air Crazy. I use a rattleware 58mm tamper with a "very light" tamp. Just setting the tamper down in and twisting it gently. If I tamp harder, the machine doesn't generate enough pressure to get the espresso through. I'm using a naked portafilter and I see some channelling, and my goal is to remove that entirely.

Anyone have any guidance for me? Vario owners - what settings do you use?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Re: vario settings...everyone is going to be different depending on calibration. Did you try to calibrate it yourself? Seattle coffee gear has a good video on it.

Also, in case anyone is in the market, I'm going to be putting my crossland cc1 up for sale in SA mart soon. It's only gotten about two months of use, but I barely have time to use it/play with it on the weekends and I rarely start it up during the week since I just make a cup with my CCD when I get to work. I'd be looking for 550 plus shipping and it includes a naked PF.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Anyone else a big fan of Rwandans? Every time I get some in a sampler it makes me say God drat.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Google Butt posted:

Anyone else a big fan of Rwandans? Every time I get some in a sampler it makes me say God drat.

Yes! I bought six or so different kinds with my last SM order. Drinking some Karongi Gitesi right now.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

dhrusis posted:

. I use a rattleware 58mm tamper with a "very light" tamp. Just setting the tamper down in and twisting it gently. If I tamp harder, the machine doesn't generate enough pressure to get the espresso through. I'm using a naked portafilter and I see some channelling, and my goal is to remove that entirely.

Grind more course, tamp harder. Way harder. Stop sperging about channelling and go for tasting good. You should be pulling a double (2-3 oz) in about 25 seconds. Your home roasting so you should have a thick layer of crema. Ditch the bottomless portafilter until yuo get comfortable making good shots.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

dhrusis posted:

So, My Gaggia classic is tempramental as gently caress, or maybe not. I suspect this is how they all are, given my experience with other espresso makers (albeit not as good as the Gaggia Classic + Vario combo). It makes drat good espresso when paired with a Vario.. but I find myself having to change the settings a ton when I change beans. Perhaps I'm not roasting big enough batches to get some good consistency, as I roast about 1/3 to 1/2 lb at a time. I just changed beans for fun on a Friday afternoon and I had to pull 4 doubles while adjusting tamp/grind to move from one setting to another. It felt like a waste, but I learned something.

This classic has the OPV modded to 9bar, if that helps anyone. My two current bean settings are letter "N" on the fine adjustment for beans roasted to 2nd crack in the Air crazy, and "J / K" for another type of bean roasted to 2nd crack with HGDB. Not sure if the variations I'm seeing are as a result of the roasting method or the bean itself. I suspect both, but I have limited information. I find with HGDB my roast isn't as even as with the Air Crazy. I use a rattleware 58mm tamper with a "very light" tamp. Just setting the tamper down in and twisting it gently. If I tamp harder, the machine doesn't generate enough pressure to get the espresso through. I'm using a naked portafilter and I see some channelling, and my goal is to remove that entirely.

I usually use a 1 with anywhere from ~G to a ~W on the micro scale, and tamp pretty firmly, but as nwin mentioned, that will depend entirely on your calibration. Before I calibrated my Vario, I was grinding espresso with a 2 on the micro scale. Your grinder might simply be calibrated more finely than it needs to be.

If you're not getting consistent roasts yet, I would use professionally roasted beans until you have a consistent, working system with your Vario and Classic. Choose one bean and stick with it until you get good, consistent results, and then start using your own home roasted beans. No reason to through an extra compounding variable in the mix this early in the game. Consistency is the name of the game when it comes to learning espresso, and if your beans/roast aren't consistent when you're learning, you will not learn how to be consistent yourself.

Also: if your HGDB roasts aren't even, you might not be stirring vigorously enough. Are you making sure to back off with the heat once you hit first crack? I made the mistake of not backing off and it resulted in some pretty inconsistent roasts. You also want to make sure you have the right amount of beans for your bowl. I aim for about 3/4 to 1 inch of beans evenly lining the bottom of the bowl.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Agh that looks like a good shot. My only experience with espresso is the few years I did at Starbucks, and I never pulled shots that looked that good. We had some big dick millionaire machines, too. Perhaps it was the quality/freshness of the beans.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

enojy posted:

Agh that looks like a good shot. My only experience with espresso is the few years I did at Starbucks, and I never pulled shots that looked that good. We had some big dick millionaire machines, too. Perhaps it was the quality/freshness of the beans.

Were you at a place that had fully automatic machines? Its basically impossible to get anything better than an "okay" shot out of those.

I worked at both a starbucks and a local place and I got some really, really good training at the local place at the roaster that they used. I forget which machine it was, but they called it "the slicer" and you could control the pressure/flow with a handle and it made some amazing shots and I drank so much espresso during my training there. I wish I took pictures.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

porktree posted:

Grind more course, tamp harder. Way harder. Stop sperging about channelling and go for tasting good. You should be pulling a double (2-3 oz) in about 25 seconds. Your home roasting so you should have a thick layer of crema. Ditch the bottomless portafilter until yuo get comfortable making good shots.

Appreciate the advice. I am not trying to sperg about channeling, just mentioning that it is occurring, so I'm glad you brought up that I probably need to tamp harder. I will buy some beans and spend a while just dialing it in with a hard tamp. The reason I was doing a light tamp is because I can control the variables better by relying on the grinder, it does the same thing every time, whereas my tamp is harder to control. Is this not solid thinking?

Also, I thought naked was the way to learn so you can diagnose your shots? My shots are good with nice crema and somewhere around 2-3 oz in 25-30 seconds, depending on the tamp...so I do have some consistency work to do... the taste is PRETTY good, sometimes has hints of bitter/sour depending on if it comes out too fast, and sometimes some squirting. I suspect this is due to tamp, right? I'll back the adjustment out to a more coarse grind and then tamp harder as suggested. Tamp should be 30 lbs? Do you guys use the 'stockfleths' move or anything like that? Reason I'm hesitant is ths previous owner of this Classic backed the OPV down and I've had several situations where I tamped it and choked it out, and it couldn't push through.

dik-dik posted:

I usually use a 1 with anywhere from ~G to a ~W on the micro scale, and tamp pretty firmly, but as nwin mentioned, that will depend entirely on your calibration. Before I calibrated my Vario, I was grinding espresso with a 2 on the micro scale. Your grinder might simply be calibrated more finely than it needs to be.

If you're not getting consistent roasts yet, I would use professionally roasted beans until you have a consistent, working system with your Vario and Classic. Choose one bean and stick with it until you get good, consistent results, and then start using your own home roasted beans. No reason to through an extra compounding variable in the mix this early in the game. Consistency is the name of the game when it comes to learning espresso, and if your beans/roast aren't consistent when you're learning, you will not learn how to be consistent yourself.

Also: if your HGDB roasts aren't even, you might not be stirring vigorously enough. Are you making sure to back off with the heat once you hit first crack? I made the mistake of not backing off and it resulted in some pretty inconsistent roasts. You also want to make sure you have the right amount of beans for your bowl. I aim for about 3/4 to 1 inch of beans evenly lining the bottom of the bowl.

I am going to buy a few lbs of one type of Sweet Marias espresso blend beans, so I can roast them over and over and get used to them. I've switched from HGDB to my modded air crazy, so we'll see how that works. Generally HGDB does really well until the last few seconds when some beans hit 2nd crack before others and start to go into the smokey danger zone before the others (especially in espresso blends with different bean sizes/types) reach perfect 2nd crack.

Appreciate the advice All.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
Is the Mypressi Twist still a thing? I sort of stumbled upon them in my perpetual quest for an espresso machine that I can afford. Oliver Strand's old post on them seemed to indicate that they make great shots and that they are relatively simple to use.

Does anyone have any opinions on them? Are they even in production anymore? The official site hasn't been updated in over a year.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have checked in on the Mypressi site a few times for the past couple years and it has never been available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Look what came up at my local Estate Auction:

Might buy that for decoration.