Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Discount Viscount posted:

I'm playing Persona 3 again. It's all because I watched Azumanga Daioh last week and something about Japanese high school fiction about friendship makes me nostalgic for a high school experience I never actually had. Or maybe the one I did have, the good parts anyway. Or something like that.

Also the music is rad.

You should read Zatch Bell. It's about going to school and making friends and shooting a baby with a dragon made of dragons made of lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

I'm playing Persona 3 again. It's all because I watched Azumanga Daioh last week and something about Japanese high school fiction about friendship makes me nostalgic for a high school experience I never actually had. Or maybe the one I did have, the good parts anyway. Or something like that.

Also the music is rad.
Persona 3 is one of my favorite games that I've ever played. I think I even prefer it to Persona 4. I keep meaning to play FES, but Persona 3 is such a long game even without all that material that I have yet to gather the courage. It's like Xenogears, more of a life commitment than a game.

EDIT: If I remember correctly, I lost my completed save too, which is a giant bummer.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Fat Lou posted:

Haha no problem at all, who wants it? Otherwise it is going to be a tag team job.

This guy will do it. An English degree followed by a career change makes me never want to write an essay again but gently caress do I enjoy reading them.

Of course I will immediately yield to anyone else.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone know of any good movie podcasts that aren't about current releases, and aren't just fluffy banter between the hosts?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone know of any good movie podcasts that aren't about current releases, and aren't just fluffy banter between the hosts?

We Have Such Films to show You is usually pretty good. Sometimes they get really close to hitting on something only to veer off and it's infuriating though. Only for horror fans though.

It's finally sinking in that I moved out and became an independent adult and I didn't die and I didn't have to turn around and go home defeated and I'm going to make this work and it's going to be awesome.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Literally The Worst posted:

You should read Zatch Bell. It's about going to school and making friends and shooting a baby with a dragon made of dragons made of lightning.

I knew about the second part but not the first.

How's the Gamecube game?

CloseFriend posted:

Persona 3 is one of my favorite games that I've ever played. I think I even prefer it to Persona 4. I keep meaning to play FES, but Persona 3 is such a long game even without all that material that I have yet to gather the courage. It's like Xenogears, more of a life commitment than a game.

EDIT: If I remember correctly, I lost my completed save too, which is a giant bummer.

My old save is there but I started fresh on Hard because I hate myself or something. And yeah, it took me a month of playing every day pretty much to get through it the first time. 120 hours.

When you say FES do you just mean the extra "The Answer" scenario or that you played through the original release?

I was surprised SubG had played it, and had something to say about it. He was the first other person I knew to say something about the culmination of the Aigis social link, and I respected that.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 24, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I got someone who has almost no familiarity with anime to watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. They love it, but hoo boy this is entertaining to witness.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ryan Reynolds' reaction to this thing is by a huge margin the best thing about Blade 3 and that's not saying all that much.

Nah it's definitely this

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So I got someone who has almost no familiarity with anime to watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. They love it, but hoo boy this is entertaining to witness.

Do not expose innocents to anime. There is still hope for them.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

weekly font posted:

This guy will do it. An English degree followed by a career change makes me never want to write an essay again but gently caress do I enjoy reading them.

Of course I will immediately yield to anyone else.

You're hired! Your starting wage $0/hr but you can eat that week old sandwich in the back of the fridge.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Do not expose innocents to anime. There is still hope for them.

Jojo loving rules though. I'm looking forward to having disposable income so I can buy it. The manga I mean. Not the anime. I can't watch anime for some reason.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nah it's definitely this

This is considerably funnier than anything I've ever seen Ryan Reynolds do.

Jojo loving rules though. I'm looking forward to having disposable income so I can buy it. The manga I mean. Not the anime. I can't watch anime for some reason.

Anime sucks!

::Reads thousands of anime comic books::

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

When you say FES do you just mean the extra "The Answer" scenario or that you played through the original release?

I was surprised SubG had played it, and had something to say about it. He was the first other person I knew to say something about the culmination of the Aigis social link, and I respected that.
The Answer irritated me so much that I just Wikipedia'ed the plot. (I already forgot everything about it, though.) I'd just heard that FES had a lot of added in scenes and the ability to resurrect Chidori. Also, an all-max-Social-Link run is somewhere on my bucket list.

There's something about the character designs of the Persona games that always really grabbed me. Kazuma Kaneko did the first two games and the monsters that show up in all the games and he's probably my favorite concept artist of all time. Shinichiro Soejima did the designs for Persona 3 and 4 and he's no slouch either.

poo poo, I just remembered that I need to save up for Arena Ultimax too.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Today I saw both The Double and Calvary - both extremely solid films, but I think I liked the Brazil-y ambition of The Double just slightly more. Regardless, in no way was I expecting to get a Chris O'Dowd double feature out of it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nah it's definitely this

I know what this is without even clicking on it. And you're right.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Cool Hand Luke and Easy Rider made for a pretty dope double feature.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I had a bit of an eclectic entertainment block tonight.

Watched The Great Escape, then played the last 2 levels of The Last of Us: Remastered, then watched the season premiere of Doctor Who.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonz posted:

then played the last 2 levels of The Last of Us: Remastered
The ending's loving brutal, eh? :smithicide:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The ending's loving brutal, eh? :smithicide:

"Brutal" is a good word for that ending.

I mean, fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

CloseFriend posted:

poo poo, I just remembered that I need to save up for Arena Ultimax too.

I want to play that but at the same time I never bother to get even halfway decent at most fighting games. I collected a ton of them because we played a bunch in college but now it's like... ehhh. And even playing for the story... I feel like I don't need any more from Persona 4 and I look at the new characters and the one from the Vita release and I'm like, "Nah, that's fine, I'm good."

That's what I tell myself anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

This is considerably funnier than anything I've ever seen Ryan Reynolds do.

Anime sucks!

::Reads thousands of anime comic books::

That's not what I said buttmunch.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
For at least the next day or two, the Simpsons marathon on FXX is the greatest thing ever. I love being able to turn on my TV and watch a classic Simpsons episode with zero effort. :allears:

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I know putting DVDs on requires more than zero effort, but does everyone not own the first 10 seasons of The Simpsons?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

At the Cannibal Holocaust screening. Robert Kerman is doing QA and brought the original pole from the movie!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Kevar posted:

I know putting DVDs on requires more than zero effort, but does everyone not own the first 10 seasons of The Simpsons?

I do in fact own 3-10 on DVD. I am that lazy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kevar posted:

No, I don't. My dad bought seasons 1 and 2 on DVD back in like 2003 because those are his favorites, but I never bothered to continue buying the rest after that. I guess I figured there were too many of them so I wasn't even going to try.

So seeing them on the marathon is nice. Some of them I've seen recently on the local station that plays the show, but a lot of them I haven't seen in years.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Six String Samurai is almost criminally sedate for the kind of movie it presents itself as. I want to say it wasn't very good but then I watched it in a double feature with Phantom of the Paradise, which is one of my favorite movies, so I'm kind of doubting my own calibration. I will however say that it's totally one of those movies thats too busy being self-congratulatory about its premise to really act on said premise to full effect.

Also its weird that everyone is talking about the Persona games because I just picked up FES on the cheap because I've heard good things and I'm basically going into it blind.

I have to admit that the anime is kind of dragging its feet adapting part three, but then part 4 is my favorite and I'm just impatient to see a man heal a crippled biker to perfect health just so he can beat said biker back to crippledness again with a clear conscience.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

mr. stefan posted:

Also its weird that everyone is talking about the Persona games because I just picked up FES on the cheap because I've heard good things and I'm basically going into it blind.

I think seeing it in that PSN sale is also part of what triggered me playing it again. I went in blind, too, and ended up enjoying the hell out of it.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

No, I don't. My dad bought seasons 1 and 2 on DVD back in like 2003 because those are his favorites, but I never bothered to continue buying the rest after that. I guess I figured there were too many of them so I wasn't even going to try.

So seeing them on the marathon is nice. Some of them I've seen recently on the local station that plays the show, but a lot of them I haven't seen in years.

I bought them all as they came out so it was easier to keep up. Although it looks like they're around $20ish per season now. That poo poo was like $50 when they were new.

Criminal Minded posted:

I am also this lazy, but I don't have cable so I ended up watching all 12 episodes of Bojack Horseman. Not terrible, but should have been better given the stacked cast.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It really just needs time to find its legs. I hope Netflix gives it at least one more season.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Did Escape Plan just have an overtly muslim protagonist (trying to escape from a Guantanamo Bay analogy) for Americans to not only root for, but also sadly cheer on when he, dying, defiantly says "Allahu Akbar" and for us to despise the man who responds with "Whatever" before gunning him down?

That's cool.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 24, 2014

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

mr. stefan posted:

My advice: don't use any guides for your first playthrough until/unless you absolutely have to. You won't 100% the game, but I really enjoyed the game more when I had no idea what the later PCs, monsters, or bosses even looked like.

mr. stefan posted:

Six String Samurai is almost criminally sedate for the kind of movie it presents itself as. I want to say it wasn't very good but then I watched it in a double feature with Phantom of the Paradise, which is one of my favorite movies, so I'm kind of doubting my own calibration. I will however say that it's totally one of those movies thats too busy being self-congratulatory about its premise to really act on said premise to full effect.
Six-String Samurai doesn't even feel like a movie to me so much as a long succession of video game cutscenes. I have to give that movie credit for one thing, though… It was while I was watching that movie that I had what mathematicians call a "eureka" moment. I realized that my problem with that movie was the lack of en emotional anchor, something to reify the experiences for the viewer and enable catharsis. That was the movie where I realized that just a bunch of ostensibly-exciting fight scenes and whacked-out costumes doesn't suffice to make an interesting movie.

I want to play that but at the same time I never bother to get even halfway decent at most fighting games. I collected a ton of them because we played a bunch in college but now it's like... ehhh. And even playing for the story... I feel like I don't need any more from Persona 4 and I look at the new characters and the one from the Vita release and I'm like, "Nah, that's fine, I'm good."

That's what I tell myself anyway.
Yeah, I've been whittling down my backlog of fighting games, but I usually just play them on the easiest setting (which, for SNK games, still means I get my rear end beat into a paste anyway). All that zoning and technical poo poo just doesn't seem worth the hassle to learn. I wish someone would take the genre back to its roots as simply "all boss fights all the time." Two of my favorite fighting games are the Mega Man arcade games, because they have the interface of a platform game and that's all they really are.

Persona 4 Arena is on the upper end of fighting games in terms of mechanics, too. It's one of those fighting games—like King of Fighters or Rage of the Dragons or BlazBlue—with so many different mechanics that it's pretty much made exclusively for hardcore players, without a gently caress given to casual gamers.

Criminal Minded posted:

I misread this as 3:10 to Yuma. I was trying to figure out what either version of that movie would possibly have to do with laziness.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Cannibal Holocaust: I forgot / blocked out whole parts of that movie apparently. So hosed up. Glad I saw it in theaters.

Haven't seen an audience this uncomfortable since Killer Joe.

Edit: SOL: HOLY gently caress 2 MINUTE EARTHQUAKE\
Edit2: SOL: nothing fell over but the ground shook like gently caress. Surreal to have seen Cannibal Holocaust in theaters and then seeing somebody forgot to turn the lights off and set the alarm at work at 2:40am and then coming home to an earthquake at 3:00AM

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 24, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwistedLadder posted:

Or you could avoid that entire dichotomy by not trying to hook up with somebody that it didn't work out with the first time around?

But that wouldn't be as entertaining for the rest of us.

Also,
What's it mean? Google hasn't been any help.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Did Escape Plan just have an overtly muslim protagonist (trying to escape from a Guantanamo Bay analogy) for Americans to not only root for, but also sadly cheer on when he, dying, defiantly says "Allahu Akbar" and for us to despise the man who responds with "Whatever" before gunning him down?

That's cool.

Yeah. That movie was pretty solid and I wish more people had seen it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I've been trying to get lots of people, but especially CloseFriend, to watch Escape Plan since it came out.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It's fun and good.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yeah. That movie was pretty solid and I wish more people had seen it.

Schwarzenegger's still got it. He was pretty delightful in this film.

"Say Cheese"

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Kevar posted:

I own 1-6 and I keep meaning to buy 7-10 but I never want to spend the money.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's fun and good.

Schwarzenegger's still got it. He was pretty delightful in this film.

"Say Cheese"

Honestly, it's one of his best performances. It's a shame that the movie isn't that great, but he's having a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I watched Dragonheart last night. Everything about the plot feels weird and incongruous…

Bowen blames Draco for corrupting the prince (even though we learn later that it wasn't Draco's fault), so Bowen swears revenge and spends the next 15 years killing literally every extant dragon but Draco. Eventually, Bowen and Draco meet and fight, but they start working together and become friends. All the while, Bowen fails to recognize the one dragon he wanted to kill, and he never expresses remorse that he killed every other dragon in the world. Draco, for his part, never shows the slightest sign of umbrage that Bowen effectively committed genocide against his species. In fact, it never really arises in the film again.

Is this a tactical realism complaint? I'm not crying plot hole or anything, but I just don't think minimizing genocide is very good writing.

Vargo posted:

I've been trying to get lots of people, but especially CloseFriend, to watch Escape Plan since it came out.
gently caress! I keep forgetting! Keanu Grieves was reminding me too! Well, as I was telling you yesterday, I finally got my meds straightened out, so I should be a lot better about remembering to actually do things.

• Locked thread