Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Where's the Nitro vs Snowflame crossover we've all been demanding?

In my dreams :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

When did Namor go from wearing his little swim trunks to actual pants and stuff? Is there a specific issue. Is this ever addressed in the text of a comic.

I need to know the full history of why Namor stopped wearing his green scale speedo. Thanks in advance.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does he have to wear boot cut pants because of those stupid wings on his ankles?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

When did Namor go from wearing his little swim trunks to actual pants and stuff? Is there a specific issue. Is this ever addressed in the text of a comic.

1974. He got hit by something that made it difficult for him to breathe so to deal with that he got a fancy black suit with pants. This is after over 100 consecutive issues of Namor going around in his bathing suit, not to mention decades of stories before that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His black suit looks awesome. That's why he wears pants.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

His black suit looks awesome. That's why he wears pants.

Well, yeah. Black suit Namor doesn't make me question my heterosexuality looks a lot cooler than the speedo look. I kind of hope that no one ever goes back to it other than one off bits. This being comics, I'm sure that it'll come back eventually.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He looks like someone took his skin.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
A chain thong wedgie won't have improved his mood.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Was Taters posted:

A chain thong wedgie won't have improved his mood.

That's a pretty tiny shell. :agesilaus:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Where do all the super specific numbers for Marvel stuff come from?

Apparently Sue Storm's invisibility field can cloak exactly 40000 cubic feet, and she can make solid objects of up to exactly 100m in diameter. I've seen similar exact numbers given for strength and power distances and things like that too.

Did Marvel decide to hammer all that stuff down at some point?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The.... people... who write the official handbooks to the marvel universe have a very grognardesque fetish for unnecessarily specific details. Did you know that Spider-man's sticking powers come from a static electricity field he generates? That's because some nerd just had to come up with a reason for why it works through gloves.

I think maybe one out of 20 writers pays attention to that stuff, so don't take it as gospel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently Sue Storm's invisibility field can cloak exactly 40000 cubic feet, and she can make solid objects of up to exactly 100m in diameter. I've seen similar exact numbers given for strength and power distances and things like that too.

Marvel employs a man call the "Asstimator" and whenever they need a specific number for something, they reach deep inside his rear end and pull it out.

None of those numbers mean anything when a different answer furthers the plot a writer has in mind.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

The.... people... who write the official handbooks to the marvel universe have a very grognardesque fetish for unnecessarily specific details. Did you know that Spider-man's sticking powers come from a static electricity field he generates? That's because some nerd just had to come up with a reason for why it works through gloves.

I think maybe one out of 20 writers pays attention to that stuff, so don't take it as gospel.

Wait, really? I figured it just came from the various tabletop RPG stuff over the years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

One of those guys posts on the official forums for Marvel Heroes (the Diablo 2-like game) and he's pretty much the worst. I think he did like the 2005-2007 handbooks.

He whined for like 2 weeks when they created an original costume for Squirrel Girl that was a Christmas dress because 'Squirrel Girl doesn't wear skirts' or some dumb reason like that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aphrodite posted:

One of those guys posts on the official forums for Marvel Heroes (the Diablo 2-like game) and he's pretty much the worst. I think he did like the 2005-2007 handbooks.

He whined for like 2 weeks when they created an original costume for Squirrel Girl that was a Christmas dress because 'Squirrel Girl doesn't wear skirts' or some dumb reason like that.

Has he got a published reason to think she doesn't wear skirts? Just because she hasn't been seen wearing them doesn't mean she's categorically opposed.

:goonsay:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

Pretty sure a lot of this stuff starts with Gruenwald. I'm 90% sure he's the one who gave us the LASER DIMENSION.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

prefect posted:

Has he got a published reason to think she doesn't wear skirts? Just because she hasn't been seen wearing them doesn't mean she's categorically opposed.

:goonsay:

There are appearances where she has anyway. Including another costume she already had in the game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Marvel employs a man call the "Asstimator" and whenever they need a specific number for something, they reach deep inside his rear end and pull it out.

And that man's name was Mark Grunewald.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Her husband is Reed Richards. I'm sure they know exactly how big and far she can make force fields.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Question based off this post:

Cangelosi posted:

Jack Kirby's pen seems to add at least five inches of width to a character, from what I can tell. That can't be healthy.

But as long as we're talking about Kirby, anyone make sense of these guys? They're called the Dingbats of Danger Street and...they were made in 1975...

No idea what's going on. :ohdear:

How many gangs of lovable street punks with awful names did Kirby create? I know there were these guys and the Newsboy Legion. They seem to pop up in his work all the time and they are usually always terrible.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Question based off this post:

How many gangs of lovable street punks with awful names did Kirby create? I know there were these guys and the Newsboy Legion. They seem to pop up in his work all the time and they are usually always terrible.

Well, the Yancy Street Gang, most notably

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CzarChasm posted:

Those guys are real. :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Kirby never drew any Yancy Streeters, they were always off panel or in shadow. OTOH, he created the Forever People which was another group of kids hanging out and going to amusement parks... that were built by Darkseid.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Dr. Hurt posted:

A few. With Joe Simon, Kirby created the Young Allies, the Newsboy Legion, and the Boy Commandos. Kirby by himself created the Bronze Age version of the Newsboy Legion (basically the same as the Golden Age version upgraded to include Flippa Dippa) and the Dingbats of Danger Street. Joe Simon separate from Kirby created the Green Team, a rich kid version of the kid gang formula. Both the Dingbats and the Green Team debuted in (different issues of) the 1st Issue Special, a series of one-shots intended to test out new concepts. Kirby's Atlas character also appeared in this series.

One thing to remember about the kid gangs is that Kirby was actually in one as a child, so it's not hard to see where he got the inspiration. I can only imagine he was the Scrapper of his gang (though imagining him as the Flippa Dippa is...pretty awesome).

Edit: I should point out that Simon and Kirby weren't the only comics team doing kid gang comics in the Golden Age. Just as a notable example, the Little Wise Guys, who were a kid gang of supporting characters for the Golden Age Daredevil, were so popular that they eventually took over the title, and Daredevil was edged out of his own comic.

Benito Cereno fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 26, 2014

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

When has Hawkeye fought Ultron? The more specific the better!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

When has Hawkeye fought Ultron? The more specific the better!

Back in the 90's, there was a comic called the Last Avengers Story, which seemed to be Marvel's pre-Earth X answer to Kingdom Come, only without all the inspiring character development and moments of optimism to offset the depressing dystopian parts. One of the cooler parts of it was how Ultron changed his appearance completely to looking like a bald human with ink-black skin. He had been defeated by the Avengers so many times, that he finally had to accept the fact that humans were indeed superior to his kind. So he changed his appearance because what's better at killing human beings than another human being?

In a flashback, we saw Ultron's last hurrah, where he was rather soundly defeated by Hawkeye's EM pulse arrows. During the climax, he unleashed an army of Ultrons and they were all pretty easily taken out by an older and blind Hawkeye, who had more EM arrows to spare.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Faux-Hakeye shot an arrow into the head of a robot bad guy in the Faux-Marvel Dimension in Multiversity #1.
It was Faux-Dr. Doom, though. Close enough?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teenage Fansub posted:

Faux-Hakeye shot an arrow into the head of a robot bad guy in the Faux-Marvel Dimension in Multiversity #1.
If you run over to the Multiversity thread quickly enough you might even hear someone :goonsay: over whether it was a Dr. Doom analogue per se or more of an Ultron, or perhaps a Cyborg Ultron Doom Shodan amalgam...

And since this post encountered a Time Funnel on its way to your face, I'll add that Hawkeye fights Ultron in Avengers 2.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

That sounds pretty awesome!

The reason I'm asking is because I came across this action figure:

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Selec...e+action+figure

He's standing over Ultron and I was curious if it was taken from a famous story or something like that, because it looks really cool. Still new to Hawkeye and the Avengers in general.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are you reading his current solo book?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Yeah, I love it! It's what got me into the character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Who's Iron Lad? All my Avengers knowledge is post dissassembled.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Teen Kang.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Read the first Young Avengers. He is a young Kang who combined with Vision.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ironically, he debuted in a story right after Disassembled. He wanted to stop his older self and keep from becoming Kang, but the pre-Civil War New Avengers hadn't even formed, necessitating the Young Avengers being enlisted from Vision's secret list of potentials. In Children's Crusade someone he loved died so he became obsessed with changing the past to his liking, and, well, Kang. He was a bad guy in Fraction's FF afterwards.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 27, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I keep meaning to read Young Avengers. I should have been more specific in saying that my knowledge of Avengers basically starts with New Avengers Vol. 1, but I read a trade of Dissassembled a few years ago and didn't realize how much time passed between the two.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The "Iron Lad" name was because in the beginning of Young Avengers they pretty much all lied/mislead people about their lineage.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

The "Iron Lad" name was because in the beginning of Young Avengers they pretty much all lied/mislead people about their lineage.

Billy's Thor motif becomes shockingly irrelevant pretty early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
I've been slowly working my way through the DnA cosmic stuff. I just finished the the Nova issues with the Sphinx.

So in those issues Black Bolt fights some dude, but he is distracted cause they're battling in a future destroyed Attilan, he comes across Medusa's grave that says she died in the shadow wars, is this an actual event? I think I just have the Thanos Imperative stuff left.