Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So I have the 2011 version (bought in 2012) of LG's plasma TV line, 50" in size. TV worked great until yesterday when it turned off and now refuses to turn on-- well, it turns on and turns back off again. I'm assuming its a blown capacitor in the circuit that turns it on.

I was planning on getting a new TV soon anyway and relegating that one to a bedroom. Questions:

I don't need smart, I don't need 4k. What's the best TV for the money at 60"?

Is it worth fixing my LG? It cost me $500 two years ago. Is this something I can do myself as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've had that happen. Try unplugging it and letting it sit for an hour, then turn it on. That's worked for me in the past.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Does a 2014 model year tv exist that doesn't have smart tv?

Does a good 2014 model year tv exist that doesn't have smart tv?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not really. My Vizio M series (2014), it's super easy to just forget about it. It's not in your face.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You could easily use the 2014 Vizio E series without ever even knowing it has Smart TV features.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

sellouts posted:

Does a 2014 model year tv exist that doesn't have smart tv?

Does a good 2014 model year tv exist that doesn't have smart tv?

Just buy a TV and act like it doesn't exist.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Whatever happen to Vizio's 4k Announcement?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Tab8715 posted:

Whatever happen to Vizio's 4k Announcement?

What announcement? They announced the p series in January starting at $999

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Don Lapre posted:

What announcement? They announced the p series in January starting at $999

They're due in the fall sometime this year... I'm not even sure if I'd pick one up but it might be worth waiting for as it'll probably(?) drop the price of existing HD TVs...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fall is a bad time to launch a new TV because you are only going to be 3-4 months away from the 2015 TV announcements and all those sets will have a year's worth of R&D on you.

I applaud Vizio's ambition, but it seems as if they would have been better off teasing the P and R series as a future product without a 2014 release and then launching them in March/April as a 2015 TV.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Just buy a TV and act like it doesn't exist.

Exactly. People should stop saying they don't need smart tv features. It won't save you a dollar and you're getting them anyways.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

If I didn't have a Chromecast/PS4 I'd use my smart TV features all the time and I'm the type that thought it was a stupid gimmick too. They've come a long way.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
If I had to buy a TV right now and I have $1500 to do it and I want it to be at least 60" what do I get.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

If I didn't have a Chromecast/PS4 I'd use my smart TV features all the time and I'm the type that thought it was a stupid gimmick too. They've come a long way.

In fact if those are your only 2 devices, a Smart TV is probably way better at DLNA streaming.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Brian Fellows posted:

I've got a sweet 50" Panasonic plasma (TH-50PZ77U), I love it and I was prepared to grow old with it. However, it won't display any audio or video from the HDMI ports anymore. Some cursory googling tells me that it's likely the DG board acting up, and that this is a common issue with this era of Panasonic plasmas. The part number is TNPA4415ABS. Problem is, all of the repair part stock seems to have been snatched up by others. I've got emails out to second hand places and an email out to Panasonic support asking where I can buy one, but I'm not having luck. Does anyone know any reputable places to get second-hand TV repair parts?

I'm a couple months late to reply to this; I'm mostly using it to mention I just had the same issue with my 5-year-old Vizio: Main board was acting up causing the TV to freeze or not turn on at all, and it had been long enough that nobody had repair parts in stock anymore. I ended up pulling the board and sending it to ModusLink for repair for $140. Just got it back today, reassembled the TV, and all is well. If anyone else finds themselves in the same situation, I gotta recommend them.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

bull3964 posted:

Fall is a bad time to launch a new TV because you are only going to be 3-4 months away from the 2015 TV announcements and all those sets will have a year's worth of R&D on you.

I applaud Vizio's ambition, but it seems as if they would have been better off teasing the P and R series as a future product without a 2014 release and then launching them in March/April as a 2015 TV.

Why would vizio stop R&D on the P series at the end of last year? I'm going to guess the reason it's not out yet is because they are still working on the product, not because they are sitting on their hands.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I fully expect vizio to go 4k only on all 50+" sets the year after the p series comes out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Next-Gen posted:

Why would vizio stop R&D on the P series at the end of last year? I'm going to guess the reason it's not out yet is because they are still working on the product, not because they are sitting on their hands.

My suspicion is that they are working out manufacturing issues at this point, otherwise it would have been out already. But the specs and general design of the TV were set awhile ago since they showed it off at CES, I wouldn't expect much to have changed since then.

The long and the short of it is though, the TV is going to be out a scarce 3 months before CES. So, it might be worth it to wait until after CES if you aren't in super need of a TV right now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

If I had to buy a TV right now and I have $1500 to do it and I want it to be at least 60" what do I get.

A pretty nice, but not the best, 1080p set is what you end up with I bet. I am guessing a sony or a Samsung.

What, this isn't a riddle?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I asked about this TV before but I have to ask again.
http://www.amazon.ca/Toshiba-32L2400UC-32-Inch-1080p-LED/dp/B00JEYU1D4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408408104&sr=1-2

I've been looking to upgrade to a 1080p television for my gaming but 40 inch+ are too big for my current living condition so my options for televisions are limited. I've found this 32 inch for a decent price on amazon.ca here but I can't find any reviews for it and I can't find it on the input lag database. So does anyone here know anything about this television? If not should I pull the trigger on this TV without having any information on it or should I hold off buying a television?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you already have a 720p 32" tv i wouldn't bother replacing it with a 1080p unless you are using it as like a desktop monitor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The default non-Vizio option is the 2013 32F5000 but that doesn't seem to be available here in Canada, and there doesn't seem to be a 2014 version I can find either. Amazon (through a 3rd party) has the EH5000, from 2012, but there's apparently quite the panel lottery with that set.

There are very nice 32" Samsung and Sony TVs but they're like $700 in Canada.

Reviews say this Samsung has very nice picture, but the Smart features are horribly slow and it can have motion blur issues. Those kinds of issues sound like the kind that also result in high lag. The H5500 is basically the upgraded version of the H5203 with a better processor and so lower lag, but is priced terribly in Canada.

It's probably cheaper to go over the border and stay 48 hours to get up to the $800 duty exemption bracket and bring a TV back. It's ridiculous.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

It's probably cheaper to go over the border and stay 48 hours to get up to the $800 duty exemption bracket and bring a TV back. It's ridiculous.

My brother did this, and I would've too if I didn't have to book a co-op SUV to fit a 65 incher.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So Amazon had a sale or something and I nabbed that LG I've been eyeing for $750 (50", 1080p, 120hz, webOS). Everything works well and the TV is beautiful, I have a small oddity with my soundbar setup, while I'm playing PS4 through HDMI2 (w/ audio out set to the soundbar through ARC in HDMI1) the speakers seem to stop working every once and a while, the sub seems to stay on but the speakers stop putting out sound. Using the input selector on the soundbar system to cycle through the inputs then arrive back at the one that it was on get's the sound back to working, but it's an odd problem.

I'm thinking it has something to do with my soundbar's settings so I'm going to try and dig up the manual tonight, but has anyone else experienced something like this?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ouhei posted:

So Amazon had a sale or something and I nabbed that LG I've been eyeing for $750 (50", 1080p, 120hz, webOS). Everything works well and the TV is beautiful, I have a small oddity with my soundbar setup, while I'm playing PS4 through HDMI2 (w/ audio out set to the soundbar through ARC in HDMI1) the speakers seem to stop working every once and a while, the sub seems to stay on but the speakers stop putting out sound. Using the input selector on the soundbar system to cycle through the inputs then arrive back at the one that it was on get's the sound back to working, but it's an odd problem.

I'm thinking it has something to do with my soundbar's settings so I'm going to try and dig up the manual tonight, but has anyone else experienced something like this?

Bypass arc and run a digital audio cable from your tv to the soundbar and see if it still happens. Is ti only on the PS4 also?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Don Lapre posted:

Bypass arc and run a digital audio cable from your tv to the soundbar and see if it still happens. Is ti only on the PS4 also?

Hard to say, I haven't had much time to test, but doing it through optical sounds like a decent option. I'll have to grab a cable.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
I'm looking at Samsung's 48" H6350 and H5500, leaning towards the H6350 because of its four HDMI ports, despite its stupid-looking stand. Does anyone own either of these? How's sound?

As for buying, do you think I should wait for Black Friday before purchasing? The H6350's currently $750 until September 6th, and last week it was $850, so I expect it'll go back to that. I have zero idea how this Black Friday Cyber Monday stuff works, so I'm not sure if I should expect a better price than $750.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So I recently purchased a Samsung UN55HU8550. The picture is wonderful and I am very happy with it. I planned to use their Smarthub for streaming since it's got a very nice menu, but whenever I have the audio output from the TV to my receiver (via ARC or optical cable) I will get random 1-2 second losses of audio. It does not appear to be a streaming problem as the video is still fine, just no audio.

My receiver works fine with every other source of audio, but anything coming from the TV has this issue. I tried contacting Samsung but they just told me it was my receiver's fault.

Has anyone seen an issue like this before?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BitterAvatar posted:

So I recently purchased a Samsung UN55HU8550. The picture is wonderful and I am very happy with it. I planned to use their Smarthub for streaming since it's got a very nice menu, but whenever I have the audio output from the TV to my receiver (via ARC or optical cable) I will get random 1-2 second losses of audio. It does not appear to be a streaming problem as the video is still fine, just no audio.

My receiver works fine with every other source of audio, but anything coming from the TV has this issue. I tried contacting Samsung but they just told me it was my receiver's fault.

Has anyone seen an issue like this before?

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Don Lapre posted:

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

That's my next step, but both HDMI and an optical digital cable had the same issue so I don't have a lot of faith in that fixing the problem.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
For the first time in my life I am mounting a TV. It is a 55 inch LED. I plan on getting either a simple non moving mount or a tilting mount. Are there any brands to avoid/specifically seek out? I am particularly interested in keeping my television attached to the wall.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Check Monoprice and read the reviews. People are pretty good about saying if something is poo poo. I've mounted a dozen TV's and just make sure you mount them to studs. Don't trust hollow wall fasteners.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

GreenNight posted:

Check Monoprice and read the reviews. People are pretty good about saying if something is poo poo. I've mounted a dozen TV's and just make sure you mount them to studs. Don't trust hollow wall fasteners.

You can get away with hollow wall fasteners on one side if you don't have a stud on the other side, but at least one side needs to be studs. I had a million pound 50" plasma from like 2006 mounted above my fireplace like that and it stayed up fine. Due to how the studs were I was only able to use a single one with the anchors on the other side. If you get good anchors, I think that's safe.

Both sides with wall anchors though would be an absolute no.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Psmith posted:

For the first time in my life I am mounting a TV. It is a 55 inch LED. I plan on getting either a simple non moving mount or a tilting mount. Are there any brands to avoid/specifically seek out? I am particularly interested in keeping my television attached to the wall.

If you are doing a flat mount then it doesn't really matter. Just make sure you have good lag bolts and you install it properly.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
Thanks for the responses...I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cheetah-APTMM2B-Including-Ethernet-Magnetic/dp/B0012S4APK/ref=pd_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=03W7S0K9YE3133WQZ75E

It has 4.5 stars with like 6,000 reviews and seems reasonably priced compared to what I saw at Best Buy. And it is prime eligible so I can get it for later this week

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

What's the cheapest calibration censor that works with hcfr that does a decent job?

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 3, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Psmith posted:

Thanks for the responses...I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cheetah-APTMM2B-Including-Ethernet-Magnetic/dp/B0012S4APK/ref=pd_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=03W7S0K9YE3133WQZ75E

It has 4.5 stars with like 6,000 reviews and seems reasonably priced compared to what I saw at Best Buy. And it is prime eligible so I can get it for later this week

We mounted two tvs at work with this mount. Works just fine. Annoying how it has go be assembled, but that's my only complaint.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Just grabbed the new 60" vizio m series and have a fald set is wonderful.

Ambulance
Sep 11, 2004

Judy
FYI, Costco warehouses dropped the price of the Samsung Plasma PN60F5350 (PN60F5300) to 649.99 today. Brought my E600i back (football and hockey looked terrible on it) and grabbed the Samsung. The only con I've noticed is the pentile screen door effect and that was really only noticeable inside 6 ft (8 ft for small text). It doesn't touch my Panasonic, but for $650 its fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Ambulance posted:

FYI, Costco warehouses dropped the price of the Samsung Plasma PN60F5350 (PN60F5300) to 649.99 today. Brought my E600i back (football and hockey looked terrible on it) and grabbed the Samsung. The only con I've noticed is the pentile screen door effect and that was really only noticeable inside 6 ft (8 ft for small text). It doesn't touch my Panasonic, but for $650 its fantastic.

Do you have it in a bright room? I want one for the living room but it has big windows adjacent to the TV location. My only fear is the reflection.