Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
:siren:

It's Monday, deadline day. From this point forward, every post should be a case on who you think is scum with a vote attached to it. Limit your case to one candidate for right now. You can, of course, respond with a case to someone else's case.

Here is mine to start things off:

merk posted:

##unvote; ##vote Juanito

Juanito is trying to stay behind the scenes. He's asking questions of people without driving scum hunting discussion. He hasn't done any scum hunting today.

Juanito posted:

When have I ever driven scum hunting discussion? I mean srsly

Juanito responds to my case with a self-provided meta defense. Take my case at the start and add this ping to it.

##unvote; ##vote Juanito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Self provided meta is a really weak point. I've done it more as town than scum. Let me go back and read your case.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

merk posted:

##unvote; ##vote Juanito

Juanito is trying to stay behind the scenes. He's asking questions of people without driving scum hunting discussion. He hasn't done any scum hunting today.

This is extremely perfunctory. It may well be true (I'd have to reread him to figure it out) but this is some of the least effort I think I've seen you put into a case that you're pushing at deadline.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Merk, what is diffeent about what Juanito is doing in this game than in most games? I agree with him that driving scum hunting isn't really something he is known to do.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

:c: Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

Crazyeyes (6): Opopanax, merk, CPig, Juanito, -CPig, chaoslord, -merk, merk, JakeP, Keane, -JakeP, JakeP, Rasc, -Juanito, kilran, -kilran

merk (5): CPig, Rarity, yuming, Rasc, Somberbrero, tearshed, -Rasc

I think analysis of this vote is going to be way more productive. Unless we postulate that merk and Crazyeyes are scum buddies, I'd bet a decent chunk of change that the scum team had some easy to spot positioning around this vote. So lets dig in.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
lol you first

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
also good to see you are still alive, congrats on not dying

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

wins32767 posted:

This is extremely perfunctory. It may well be true (I'd have to reread him to figure it out) but this is some of the least effort I think I've seen you put into a case that you're pushing at deadline.

Why is effort relevant here? If it may well be true, then isn't it a good case?

JakeP posted:

Merk, what is diffeent about what Juanito is doing in this game than in most games? I agree with him that driving scum hunting isn't really something he is known to do.

His self meta misses the point. He's not actually scum hunting, he's just laying in the weeds. He's trying to stay alive rather than find scum, that's textbook scum play.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

merk posted:

His self meta misses the point. He's not actually scum hunting, he's just laying in the weeds. He's trying to stay alive rather than find scum, that's textbook scum play.

Kind of like that X-Men game where several town members did absolutely nothing until the late game... oh wait.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

These jokes are ~hilarious~

:c: Votecount :c:

Crazyeyes (6): Opopanax, CapitalistPig, Juanito, -CapitalistPig, Chaoslord, merk, JakeP, CCKeane

merk (4): CapitalistPig, Rarity, yuming, Rascyc

Man, the lack of votefinder links to votes is making this reconstruction a lot more difficult.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's those super chatty people I'm more worried about early game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Let's not forget that somber is Scum just because time has passed

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Opopanax posted:

Let's not forget that somber is Scum just because time has passed

Word.

I'll try to put together an effortpost on why winvirus is a good+smart lynch for today but Monday is a busy day for me.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

wins32767 posted:

Man, the lack of votefinder links to votes is making this reconstruction a lot more difficult.

Yeah, considering this isn't even the final vote count for day 1. Just some arbitrary one you pulled from the day.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought my vote was on CPig for some reason. These day phases are so long, I forget.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

So take a look a rarity's voting. He jumps on merk with a crappy case as CE is picking up steam:

Rarity posted:

merk is flailing hard. Beyond what yuming has said, switching his vote between Keane, Ras and CE so fast makes me think he doesn't have any real conviction behind his cases.

##unvote

##vote merk

and pushes him all day. Near the end of the day, he hops on the CE bandwagon, ostensibly since he won't be around for deadline. However, his vote puts CE at -1 with 4 hours until the deadline; plenty of time to ensure that we don't fail to hang someone. It's not like he was excited about CE, he failed to put down any thoughts about CE's alignment all day.

This definitely reads like a scum trying to push an alternate candidate for a buddy in the running, and when it's obvious that that plan isn't working hops on the bandwagon for town cred.

Vote rarity for a better tomorrow.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

CapitalistPig posted:

Yeah, considering this isn't even the final vote count for day 1. Just some arbitrary one you pulled from the day.

The end of the day ones aren't as useful. They don't allow you to see who had how many votes at the same time, they just record the votes over the course of the day.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

JakeP posted:

also good to see you are still alive, congrats on not dying

Still have plenty of time for the dying thing, don't you worry.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Rarity posted:

Ok, so either Somber is bullshitting about duel being a vig or Cpig is bullshitting about being VT. I'll do a full reread of Cpig after dinner but what he's saying right now is really dumb. Barring something crazy, I'm only going to vote one of these two today.

I'll tack on this post to your case on Rarity. This sounds really fake - there's no actual thought in it.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
##unvote

##vote Yuming

Strong gut feeling on Yuming, especially with regards to the way that she was trying to steer the lynch off CE onto Merk, when she pretty much agreed with every point Merk made on CE (she did this when she made literally the exact same points Merk did when casing him). She is faking the little scum hunting she is doing, and when people don't bite she vanishes.

Would still vote Cpig or Kilran, and there are only a few people I wouldn't vote to avoid a no lynch

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

wins32767 posted:

So take a look a rarity's voting. He jumps on merk with a crappy case as CE is picking up steam:

and pushes him all day. Near the end of the day, he hops on the CE bandwagon, ostensibly since he won't be around for deadline. However, his vote puts CE at -1 with 4 hours until the deadline; plenty of time to ensure that we don't fail to hang someone. It's not like he was excited about CE, he failed to put down any thoughts about CE's alignment all day.

This definitely reads like a scum trying to push an alternate candidate for a buddy in the running, and when it's obvious that that plan isn't working hops on the bandwagon for town cred.

Vote rarity for a better tomorrow.

I didn't even realise I'd but Crazy at -1 because Ecco's dumb rules gently caress up votefinder and then he keeps clearing the votes so it's even harder to know what's going on and like hell I'm gonna go through the thread and count it manually at 2am when I'm tired.

I had a look at Juanito and I agree there's not a whole lot of effort there. He'd be better than a no-lynch but I still stand by my analysis of the Somber/Cpig situation and I'll add kilran to that list because his cases are very forced.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Rarity posted:

I didn't even realise I'd but Crazy at -1 because Ecco's dumb rules gently caress up votefinder and then he keeps clearing the votes so it's even harder to know what's going on and like hell I'm gonna go through the thread and count it manually at 2am when I'm tired.

I had a look at Juanito and I agree there's not a whole lot of effort there. He'd be better than a no-lynch but I still stand by my analysis of the Somber/Cpig situation and I'll add kilran to that list because his cases are very forced.

No posts for 2 days and then shows up as soon as called out but only addresses a small part of the case? That doesn't seem scummy at all.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Yeah, I'd be pretty comfortable voting Rarity.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

JakeP posted:

##unvote

##vote Yuming

Strong gut feeling on Yuming, especially with regards to the way that she was trying to steer the lynch off CE onto Merk, when she pretty much agreed with every point Merk made on CE (she did this when she made literally the exact same points Merk did when casing him). She is faking the little scum hunting she is doing, and when people don't bite she vanishes.

Would still vote Cpig or Kilran, and there are only a few people I wouldn't vote to avoid a no lynch

Yeah, this isn't bad.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Yeah, I'd be pretty comfortable voting Rarity.

Then join me!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

wins32767 posted:

Then join me!

I'll join you, friend, brother, secret lover.

##unvote
##vote Rarity

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!
I liked yumings D1 content but D2 has been 5 irl days and I don't agree with any of her cases (cpig/kilran/winvirus). Please post more.

And because Ixt missed my vote last time, I wanna see if this works.

##unvote
##vote Rarity

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My girlfriend's accepted a job in America so what the gently caress ever, I got bigger poo poo to deal with it.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Rarity posted:

My girlfriend's accepted a job in America so what the gently caress ever, I got bigger poo poo to deal with it.

Just go with her Rarity.
Let true love win out over not wanting to move to a new country.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I'd vote rarity, rather vote yuming

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
hey, winvirus though.

Day One

Let's start with the weakest poo poo.

~*Weak poo poo But Maybe Still Important Zone*~

winvirus posted:

It was Meinberg. He scum. Sorry ##vote meinberg that's what u get for hating queen prodenta

It feels weird and awkward that winny namechecks the flavor. I feel like it's a scum thing to be more concerned about flavor. It feels especially odd coming from winvirus as he's generally shitposty.

There's a couple instances of winny playing the helpful townie, talking about maintaining votefinder and asking Ecco to edit in post histories. I want to acknowledge that we're currently in the weak poo poo zone but I still don't really care for those sort of white noise 'I'm Here' posts.

> Realtalk Coordination Station <

winvirus posted:

I think Little Mac is town, because I am town, and he is agreeing with me. Awfully scummy vote, Somb. Who are your short list of scum people?

Gotta go back to this post because I think a lot of later interactions play off of it. In this post, winvirus is

a) directing suspicion at me without taking any responsibility for it
b) asking for a shortlist of scum. this is bad by itself because i feel that asking other players for lists is an easy way to fake content. it's also bad because this was fairly early on in the game so a shortlist makes less sense.
c) weakest bit here, to the point where it barely belongs in the RCS, but he's buddying up to Little Mac.

By itself, not tremendously important. However, I think the following posts speak volumes.

winvirus posted:

Holy moley I step away for two days and y'all take a post really seriously

No, I do not actually think little mac is town "because he thinks I am town". That's a thousand percent stupid reasoning.

I had no read on somb's vote. I think his "case" on me is idiot hell crap and that he is actually possibly scum now because the dances and leaps of logic to paint me as Badguy are kind of extreme

I'm still a Big Fan of a Meinberg lynch. Or a Rarity or Somb lynch.

In this post, winvirus is guilty of inconsistency, misrepresentation of content, and selectivity.

Winvirus has no read on my vote and thinks that my case is idiot hell crap but then immediately works his way to me being scum. I don't think that is a town train of thought. Bad casing can occasionally be indicative of scumminess as scum have to fake content, but this early in the game I don't believe winv actually thought that. Winvirus is guilty of inconsistency here because thinking that a case is bad and a case is scummy are two entirely different thoughts. He's also faking anger pretty hard here by getting mad about my case.

I am fairly certain that no one ever actually thought that winvirus was seriously saying that Little Mac town because he said winvirus was town. This is a strawman to pick apart that makes the actual casework look lovely by adjacency. Moreover, he doesn't address ANY of the actual points brought against him. He is selectively responding to content as is convenient.

"omg ya'll are taking my posts seriously?? lol"

hm well

winvirus posted:

"ooh ho ho ho anything i say doesn't matter it's joke!!" - scum, every time, every game, forever.

winvirus posted:

How are you (and the two others dead set on lynchjng me) blatantly ignoring the 100% serious vote and poo poo I made on Meinberg and my actual opinions in favor of a clear joke. You can tell it's a joke, because holy poo poo, do you really think I'm defending little mac as town on the basis that he thinks I'm town

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Obvious problems aside, what serious poo poo on meinberg? Faking content. Winvirus hasn't actually done poo poo besides defend himself at this point.

Anyway, what's cool is where winvirus gets confused and can't keep track of what actually happened in this game.

winvirus posted:

You can make jokes in mafia game but I felt your joke was scummy

winvirus posted:

I'm reading back on my phone and I could've sworn there was a post I didn't like

But apparently I was hallucinating. That, combined with me actually missing your question and you not just flat dropping suspicion on me is enough for me to admit I Was Wrong About 9/11 (Rarity)

I would still be willing to vote Meinberg though

##unvote
##vote Meinberg

Again, loving why with Meinberg? That's not even directly the point here. There's also this.

winvirus posted:

I think, sometimes, people think they read things, in a game of mafia, that they didn't, and it's okay to admit you're wrong. There are lots of words involved in these games, after all, and they are challenging for illiterate people like myself

bulllllshit. Winvirus is never this humble and fessing up to faking content does not make it any less true. The whole hat-in-hand approach really irks me.

I think that covers Day One pretty well because winvirus doesn't really post a lot in this game. I'll get to Day Two soon, that's where it gets pretty good!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Rarity posted:

It sounds like that sucks. Sorry rarity.

Ecco why is your game visiting misery upon everyone?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
blame ixtilton

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Rarity posted:

I'm sorry to hear this Rarity, I hope everything works out. :(

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Somberbrero posted:

Ecco why is your game visiting misery upon everyone?

This Summer Blockbuster has actually been less misery-inducing than last one's at least.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Day Two

i can't think of a clever title and this post is shorter than i expected, but essentially please lynch winvirus

winvirus posted:

Well gently caress, I was about to bust in here all confident until I saw the flips.

Okay, time for me to claim. I'm also a cop, but because of meinberg's flip, my sanity is unreliable, obviously, unless we have two sane cops for some reason?? I got a scum result on capitalistpig.

I still think lynching cpig is a good idea, and also I am not bullshitting around. At the very least we can learn if I'm insane or paranoid.

##vote cpig

PS I didn't make a big post like I said I would because I went and got drunk instead. Sorrynotsorry

I still do not think that it makes sense for winny to investigate Cpig. However, I especially take issue with the bolded part.

Winvirus "still thinks lynching cpig" is a good idea. Winvirus last mentioned forums poster capitalist pig four days before the day one deadline. He made some posts inbetween then so he had opportunity to post about Pig. Furthermore, Pig had one of the best early votes on Crazy and I can't believe that winvirus would have investigated one of the few early adopters of the CE lynch. Other people that he had called scum with way more frequency during the day:

rarity
me
meinberg

players winvirus votes:
rairty
meinberg

Also! Winvirus is operating on the assumption that his sanity is flawed. That is implied by the very first sentence of this post and directly stated immediately after. That just does not follow. If I'm sure that I'm getting inaccurate information, my first action would not be to act on that information. That is not a town thing to do.

This is an aside, I guess, but most of the flavor names in this game tie into mythology somehow. Not something I'm going to get into deeply, because I think it's largely a distraction, but this is really weird.

winvirus posted:

My flavor is Lorkhan.

I googled Lorkhan, and apparently it's a trickster god from Elder Scrolls. So yeah, there's that. There it is, that.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
##unvote

My top choices are Somber / Rarity

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
If I hadn't been casing Rarity since day, I'd vote them for calling my posts forced :(

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

wins32767 posted:

No posts for 2 days and then shows up as soon as called out but only addresses a small part of the case? That doesn't seem scummy at all.
are you talking about me? show me the case and how I only addressed a small part? merk's case was: Juanito isn't being a scumhunter in this game so he's scum, or an SK. I took his case as serious as it was (not serious).

I'd rather vote Rarity over winvirus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Juanito, give us a case on Rarity or winvirus.

• Locked thread