Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

2% of the human population vanished into thin air and you can still walk into a store and buy Lucky Charms, get your dry cleaning done and travel to NYC and stay in a hotel. All things considered I would say society is still churning along remarkably well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
While I'm really enjoying the characters we've seen so far, I really hope that the season finale is decisive and the last time we focus on any of these characters for the time being. I'd love it if Season 2 picked up with new characters in the same universe. Sort of like True Detective, but with the possibility of the characters we know popping up again elsewhere.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

savinhill posted:

Yeah there was also Nora saying that her family wouldn't exist as far as the mayor's concerned during the interview.
:aaaaa:
forgot that bit

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

So now we know Lindelof believes that life begins at conception

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Puppy Galaxy posted:

yessss lets get into a 20 page abortion argument :getin:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yessss lets get into a 20 page abortion argument :getin:

i guess that could literally happen considering the couple previous pages i just read, but to be clear, this is not my intent.

Anyway in a post-Lost world this show is just going to piss all former Lost viewers off because it's all unanswerable questions that fans will clamour to be answered until they're answered in the most unimaginative way possible. Calling it now: they're in purgatory

But there's decent acting and good production and no obligation to dole poo poo out over 22 episodes a year, so I'll probably keep watching and complaining. As stand-alone episodes of a television show everything was decent other than last week's shirts-in-the-woods reveal

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Puppy Galaxy posted:

The heart generally starts beating at six weeks, but she looked a bit further along than that. So no, not at conception.

EDIT: You can't even get a good abdominal scan until around 10 weeks. So she is probably at almost three months.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Darth Ballz posted:

The heart generally starts beating at six weeks, but she looked a bit further along than that. So no, not at conception.

EDIT: You can't even get a good abdominal scan until around 10 weeks. So she is probably at almost three months.

Think it says how far along she is on the ultrasound screen.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Whatever righteousness that one might feel at such a real world development would be sortof scotched by the fact one is still around to make it.
Edit: I'm really curious to see how the more dogmatic faiths dealt with the event.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Subterfrugal posted:

Whatever righteousness that one might feel at such a real world development would be sortof scotched by the fact one is still around to make it.
Edit: I'm really curious to see how the more dogmatic faiths dealt with the event.

I'm surprised they don't have at least one crazy Christian on the show. Matt doesn't count, he doesn't fit the usual stereotype.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Just watched last nights episode. Goddamn that was some nice backfill on the characters. Sorry I don't have anything insightful to add bit that episode kind of crystallized this show as pretty drat good IMO.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
I may have said this before but I'm fine with not knowing what happened with the "rapture". What will piss me off though is if they don't explain the new mysteries.

1. What's up with Wayne?
2. Is Kevin really crazy?
3. Is the other Kevin crazy?
4. Whats up with the dogs and deers?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

bryn987 posted:

I may have said this before but I'm fine with not knowing what happened with the "rapture". What will piss me off though is if they don't explain the new mysteries.

1. What's up with Wayne?
2. Is Kevin really crazy?
3. Is the other Kevin crazy?

Of these questions, only the first one is an actual mystery. There's enough ambiguity about whether or not he's genuine, what his long term plans are, and just how wide spread his influence is to make him a genuine question. I'd be fine with them deferring answering it, though. They have to save something for the second season, after all.

Yes, Kevin is crazy. He has hallucinations. He blacks out and attacks other people. There is an "other Kevin." These are not facets of a sane person's personality. The dogs and deer are symbolism, and while there is enough wriggle room for different interpretations of these symbols, there is also enough material to make logical inferences from the existing material.

The deer represents Kevin. The dogs represent the Guilty Remnant.

Meinberg fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 26, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The only thing I really didn't care for too much with this episode was the women in the car asking Kevin, "Are you ready?" That leaves you thinking that's a hook that will later be built upon but you know they're never going to go back to it. Pretty sure it will only add irritation in the long run and not anything else. Otherwise this was a super duper episode, just about the best flashback story I can remember seeing.

e:

Meinberg posted:

Yes, Kevin is crazy. He has hallucinations. He blacks out and attacks other people. There is an "other Kevin." These are facets of a sane person's personality.

Forgive me for not trusting Lindelof to take Kevin's insanity at face value. It really burned me when Patti killed herself, I think to give Crazy Kevin plausible deniability. It's aggravating because I saw it coming the moment they showed her tied up and with Imaginary Friend going all "Well you're in a some sticky poo poo now good buddy!"

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 26, 2014

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Loved this episode. I thought from a visuals perspective, it was tasteful to still not actually show what the departure-ing looked like.

Otherwise we would have seen Kevin hurriedly patting down his wang and sighing in relief before searching the sheets for his illicit partner.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Matt's wife.......
When I saw her walking around at the party I recognized her face but couldn't place the character..... Because she was walking around. Then it hit me.
Awesome episode.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
There were a lot of great little details in this episode. One of the subtle things I noticed was Jill's science project was on entropy, which could describe the entire show.

Tauschemo
Jul 11, 2011

life is killing me posted:

Think it says how far along she is on the ultrasound screen.

It said 11 weeks but that baby looked older.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Maybe they got an older fetus to play the role, like with the 25 year old playing Aimee.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Flesh Forge posted:

The only thing I really didn't care for too much with this episode was the women in the car asking Kevin, "Are you ready?" That leaves you thinking that's a hook that will later be built upon but you know they're never going to go back to it. Pretty sure it will only add irritation in the long run and not anything else. Otherwise this was a super duper episode, just about the best flashback story I can remember seeing.

This show has been pretty deliberate with its breadcrumbs so I really don't see them not coming back to that scene at some point.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tomahawk posted:

This show has been pretty deliberate with its breadcrumbs so I really don't see them not coming back to that scene at some point.

Yeah, it really looks like the show's presenting us with the idea that some people knew what was coming to varying degrees. I can't imagine them dropping that idea.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, it really looks like the show's presenting us with the idea that some people knew what was coming to varying degrees. I can't imagine them dropping that idea.

Maybe it will be this show's outrigger shooting.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
What was the deal with the exploding manhole?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Who was Michael, Tommy's bio-dad? He looked familiar but I can't remember what he's done in previous episodes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Last Chance posted:

There's no time left this season at least, and I'm not sure there are any plans for a second season. In any case I genuinely hope they DON'T go back to it because that opens the whole can of worms of the audience expecting resolution of the rapture/not-rapture mysteries.

Kevyn posted:

signs and portents

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

There's no time left this season at least, and I'm not sure there are any plans for a second season. In any case I genuinely hope they DON'T go back to it because that opens the whole can of worms of the audience expecting resolution of the rapture/not-rapture mysteries.

They announced on the 13th it was renewed.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/the-leftovers-renewed-for-season-2-at-hbo-1201282061/

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Huh, okay. It looks like they're going to cover everything they're trying to adapt from the book by the end of this season, so future episodes will be totally new. I have no idea what they'll do with subsequent seasons but oh god I hope the plotters/writers do.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Kevyn posted:

You mean The Hatch?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

fullroundaction posted:

You mean The Hatch?

Yeah, I can't tell if the manhole thing was actually important or if that was a just some sort of nod to blowing the door off the hatch and discovering Dharma (after we met creepy car people, possibly this show's Dharma?)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tagichatn posted:

Who was Michael, Tommy's bio-dad? He looked familiar but I can't remember what he's done in previous episodes.

Nothing in previous episodes, but that's Scott Winters, 'Cyril O'Reilly' from Oz.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Nothing in previous episodes, but that's Scott Winters, 'Cyril O'Reilly' from Oz.

He showed up previously in a picture of pregnant Laurie.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kevyn posted:

Maybe they got an older fetus to play the role

I'll have to read up on SAG rules but this is probably a thing that happens all the time. Often shows will hire fetus twins to get around labour laws, etc.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

bryn987 posted:

I thought this might be relevant, seeing how to this show makes heavy use of religious symbolism. (Not sure if it's been mentioned yet; I did check but I might have missed it.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Eustace

quote:

According to legend, prior to his conversion to Christianity, Eustace was a Roman general named Placidus, who served the emperor Trajan. While hunting a stag in Tivoli near Rome, Placidus saw a vision of a crucifix lodged between the stag's antlers. He was immediately converted, had himself and his family baptized, and changed his name to Eustace (Greek: Ευστάθιος (Eustáthios), "well stable", or Ευστάχιος (Eustáchios), "fruitful/rich grain").

A series of calamities followed to test his faith: his wealth was stolen; his servants died of a plague; when the family took a sea-voyage, the ship's captain kidnapped Eustace's wife Theopista; and as Eustace crossed a river with his two sons Agapius and Theopistus, the children were taken away by a wolf and a lion. Like Job, Eustace lamented but did not lose his faith.

He was then quickly restored to his former prestige and reunited with his family; but when he demonstrated his new faith by refusing to make a pagan sacrifice, the emperor, Hadrian, condemned Eustace, his wife, and his sons to be roasted to death inside a bronze statue of a bull or an ox, in the year AD 118.

This painting is in the Canterbury Cathedral:

Maldoror fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 26, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

On thing I thought was oddly really satisfying was the mylar balloon that had been stuck on the deer's antlers, implying that - before the disappearances anyway - there were rational explanations for everything, but not after.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hollylolly posted:

He showed up previously in a picture of pregnant Laurie.

Ah, must've missed that.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
ehh, I think I'm pretty much done with People Being Sad While Sad Music Plays: The TV Series. I'll probably watch the finale, but everything points towards the second series having even more of the things I find annoying about it. Oh well.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Kevyn posted:

MacBeth reference maybe? Garvey as MacBeth meets three witches out in the wilderness and they impart to future to him. Exploding manhole as cauldron, it's a stretch but that's what immediately crept to mind when I saw that scene.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
It's clearly a reference to the idea of transcendental idealism in neo-kantian thought, as described in the seminal work of Friedrich Albert Lange Geschichte des Materialismus. I mean c'mon, it's like you're not even trying.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

LmaoTheKid posted:

Just watched last nights episode. Goddamn that was some nice backfill on the characters. Sorry I don't have anything insightful to add bit that episode kind of crystallized this show as pretty drat good IMO.

I think this last episode was probably my favorite, because it showed how different the characters were before the Departure; it really drove the point of how much that event changed everybody.

It even changed by opinion on Laurie, from thinking that she was a horrible person for abandoning her family to having sympathy for her and understanding what drove her. Really, loosing your baby like that? Geesh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

grate deceiver posted:

It's clearly a reference to the idea of transcendental idealism in neo-kantian thought, as described in the seminal work of Friedrich Albert Lange Geschichte des Materialismus. I mean c'mon, it's like you're not even trying.

I almost thought that too but couldn't square that with how the car was clearly full of Jungians.

• Locked thread