Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

notZaar posted:

Supplex moves only unlocks when you reach the castle, but you can do it on everybody I think.

naw leon just arbitrarily can't do it on the regular villagers, because when you run into those again during a segment of the castle you're back to kicking people. pretty sure this is how it works in mercenaries too

maybe he's like goku where he doesn't use his strongest moves on the riff-raff

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
the sequel to RE4 is Dead Space; both are really good games

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
RE4 could have used a stomp move. Just like Dead Space needed a suplex

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jon Joe posted:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
why stomp people when I can knife them in the dick

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
This game looks gay.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Jon Joe posted:

Hmm no it barely edges out re5 in the "lamentably competent" tps category.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
RE5 is better

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
dead space 3 is the sequel to re4

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jon Joe posted:

nah RE4 is all about feeling powerful - strong weapons and always being up on ammo, wrassle moves that can explode heads, playing as a cocky son of a bitch who spouts cheesy one-liners

Dead Space is all about feeling powerless - mediocre weapons with limited ammo, stomping downed enemies in a panic, a silent protagonist who only vocalizes when he's being murdered

Dead Space was good though, had its moments

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 26, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
my brother bought re4 along with his wii and we lent it to a friend before playing it and that friend never gave it back

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

spiral arrow!

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Grim posted:

my brother bought re4 along with his wii and we lent it to a friend before playing it and that friend never gave it back

smart friend

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I actually have a question I need help answering, gamers: is RE4 a great game or is it the greatest game?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Yes

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Contra Calculus posted:

I actually have a question I need help answering, gamers: is RE4 a great game or is it the greatest game?

It's only great since it's in the shooter genre but despite that handicap it is remarkably good.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Contra Calculus posted:

I like it so much that I bought it three times and would have bought it more times if I had a PS2 and a decent PC

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

JethroMcB posted:

nah RE4 is all about feeling powerful - strong weapons and always being up on ammo, wrassle moves that can explode heads, playing as a cocky son of a bitch who spouts cheesy one-liners

Dead Space is all about feeling powerless - mediocre weapons with limited ammo, stomping downed enemies in a panic, a silent protagonist who only vocalizes when he's being murdered

By Dead Space 3 Isaac is too old for this poo poo, is swimming in ammo, and is building his own guns. which is why I'm saying it's the actual re4 successor

DS3 gives up on horror and embraces its action section. Also: The last time I played it multiplayer we found out the Contact Beam drops more universal ammo from enemies than it uses so you have an infinite ammo beam of death on Normal

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Doctor Goat posted:

By Dead Space 3 Isaac is too old for this poo poo, is swimming in ammo, and is building his own guns. which is why I'm saying it's the actual re4 successor

DS3 gives up on horror and embraces its action section. Also: The last time I played it multiplayer we found out the Contact Beam drops more universal ammo from enemies than it uses so you have an infinite ammo beam of death on Normal

Ah, I never played past DS1

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
DS2/DS3 get progressively more action and insane and Isaac stops being a silent protagonist in 2

the guns also get better even though i like 1's arsenal. you should play 2/3.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
In DS2 if you keep stomping issac just starts cursing and yelling randomly and it rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4WsJ-FUhQQ

yeah but RE4 may be the best game

i do not understand how they kept making worse RE games after that

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Monkey Fracas posted:

i do not understand how they kept making worse RE games after that

They lost Shinji Mikami. He was really RE's heart and soul

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Contra Calculus posted:

They lost Shinji Mikami. He was really RE's heart and soul

and hes supposedly retiring after evil within

the last good game designer

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope evil within is good. Supposedly it's supposed to be similar to RE4.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
6 seems like it's recaptured some of the crazy of 4 but it's kept some of the traits of 5

but it has the godawful inventory of revelations. 4 has the perfect UI. bring back my attache case.

also each team (chris', leon's, wesker's kid's, and ada) all have their own HUD which is cool. the timeline intersects for everyone which means jake's is the earliest and overlaps with the most i think

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

its good

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i think a big thing the series lost after 4 (it sort of comes back in revelations?) is being able to examine goddamn everything

i see things sitting around in 5/6 and go "whoa i wanna look at that" and the character's like "nope idc" where leon in 4 would have had a one liner or at least something to say about it

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mung Dynasty posted:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
like ok in 6 the mechanics are good and fun but the game is insistent on pushing you through a series of ever more contrived dumb action setpieces

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Monkey Fracas posted:

like ok in 6 the mechanics are good and fun but the game is insistent on pushing you through a series of ever more contrived dumb action setpieces

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Did the Resident Evil series turn into Metal Gear: Zombies? Discuss.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

aw man that ruled

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

lol japanese games have gone to poo poo and will continue to do so

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Doctor Goat posted:

bring back my attache case.

here's how long it should take someone to understand how to navigate an inventory menu, of all things: 0 seconds

here's how long it took me to understand how to navigate the inventory menu in re6: longer than that

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mak0rz posted:

here's how long it should take someone to understand how to navigate an inventory menu, of all things: 0 seconds

here's how long it took me to understand how to navigate the inventory menu in re6: longer than that

kotaku posted:

Well, on the PS3, the quick combo is this: Triangle, X, X, X, X, Circle, R3, R3, R3. This opens the inventory, mashes two health items together, puts them in your health-pack slot, closes the inventory and then lets you consume the tablets. Press R3 six times if you've combined a green and a red.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

mediocre? tell that to my gun that fires electrified exploding javelins. or my plasma cannon that will freeze enemies in a 360 degree radius around myself. dead space has some loving ridiculous weapons.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

I hope that's just a thing Japanese developers say, like every Metal Gear game being Kojima's last.

Hopefully there will be another good Suda51 game at some point, and not just flashy budget games with his name on them.

I like Killer7 because there was no market research and no focus testing, just a whole lot of imagination and creativity. The whole game is a mystery, and there's no simple solution such as the main character just being a representation of the player. There's also no dumb pandering to gamers, just the occasional reference to his previous games, like the hotel Flower, Sun, and Rain.

The on-rails movement is a bit weird, and makes the combat quite frustrating, but at least it lets the game have beautiful, open areas without you having to run in to every nook and cranny to find the next door or key item. It would have been cool if they did give you free movement during the last chapter, considering how much the gameplay was tied into the story. They did make a concession by letting you switch characters at any time during gameplay, when it was suggested that cameras and TVs needed to be involved. Garcian and Harmon are special, and unfortunately I got stuck fighting a child kidnapper dressed as an anime girl in a parking lot while stuck as Garcian, and his gun is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am finally playing RE4 for the first time in my life (seriously I been holding off for years) and I love it but I cannot beat the two big ogre guys for poo poo. It's the ones where you can pull a lever and kill one of them by getting him to fall in a vat of lava. But I can't beat the second one for poo poo.

I run out of ammo and using the knife does nothing because you need to hit the octopus thing coming out of his back. How the gently caress do I kill this guy with very little ammo?

They are called "los dos gigantes" and I wasted 9 minutes watching someone play them on Youtube and then losing (why did he upload the video)

• Locked thread