Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Liver
May 4, 2009

Jesus christ, Jane, you goddamn maniac! I was looking FORWARD to you coming back after the bullshit you pulled in the last episode! Leaving the group after they had all that bonding was pretty cold, but leaving a baby alone in a car and tricking Kenny so you can win an argument?

I mean it's bad enough that Kenny was clearly slipping and chasing the idea of Wellington to the point of madness, but I didn't think it would lead to poo poo like this. And as poetically sad as it is to shoot your best friend, the reveal of Jane's plan just makes the whole fight seem completely insane. I didn't even respond when she explained it, I was so loving stunned, so Clem went along with Jane anyway. And hey, back to the hardware store, more people, more distrust, more bullshit. Nice progress, nice closure.

God in heaven, that was a dumb ending. gently caress that, I'm rewinding and trying another one.

The one thing that made the episode worth it for me was the flashback, but that's not a moment this season is responsible for, and not something I can merit it on.

I am not playing a Season Three. This ride was too rocky and didn't lead anywhere fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Everyone the entire season was talking mad poo poo on Kenny behind his back but Kenny didn't actually really do anything wrong. Did people not convince him to wait till the next day or something? I keep seeing "He never wanted to discuss anything with anyone!" but he totally did, he flat out said he was going to bed and gonna try to talk it out the next day and mike and the others betrayed everyone. Kenny, seriously didn't do anything wrong

Also Jane is literally the stranger from season 1 if the stranger tried to pit Clem against Lee

The only reason I shot Kenny was because it seemed like the baby was killed by zombies and not at all Jane's fault and he was trying to murder her. I didn't pick up on her bullshitting about it because it sounded like she was trying to keep Clem out of the way of Hurricane Kenny to me, she didn't really get all that worked up when Luke died and she doesn't even give a poo poo about the baby.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I thought it was kind of obvious that Arvo was trying to get them all killed, I get the feeling he was leading them through areas hoping for zombie ambushes like the one you barely averted and when he saw the zombies and everyone getting scared was like "poo poo yeah finally!" and booked it. People are surprised Arvo shot Clem but that entire scene Arvo is loving GLARING at you

So what happens when it's proven not long after that all of his poo poo is there and yes he in fact lives in that lovely house with his sister and that Kenny beating the poo poo out of him was completely unjustified? Because that's exactly what the scene painted it as. I don't even hate Kenny like some people do, I feel sorry for the guy, but it still doesn't change that whole thing was irrational behavior.

AnInsomniac
Oct 12, 2004
Oh man don't hit me with that shoe!
I feel robbed. Haven't beat the game? Move on.

I shot and killed Kenny, and lost it when it turned out the baby was still alive. I think I got the "Bad" ending because I decided to abandon Jane. All that happens is that Clem walks off into the snow with AJ. Then fast forward nine days, I'm left wondering how they survived that blizzard when the last scene is Clem covering herself and AJ with blood before she begins to carry him through a herd of walkers.

After reading about the other endings, there's probably no hope for me in a zombie apocalypse.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Beef Waifu posted:

So what happens when it's proven not long after that all of his poo poo is there and yes he in fact lives in that lovely house with his sister and that Kenny beating the poo poo out of him was completely unjustified? Because that's exactly what the scene painted it as.

Oh not saying he lied, just saying I didn't feel any remorse when Arvo got beat up after trying to kill everyone for a entire day- and hey I was right because he flat out shoots Clem after she gives up her gun and tries to steal everything.

Like you cannot defend Arvo, he tried to kill and rob you even if you were nice to him and then he tried to kill you AGAIN. Kenny hitting him is perfectly fine.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, the scene that occurs afterwards is bad and Arvo is a poo poo for doing it. That doesn't change that Kenny beat the poo poo out of some defenseless kid for no reason other than thinking he was lying to them. He was being irrational, which is the loving point. Kenny is not level-headed, he is an rear end in a top hat, an rear end in a top hat who cares about people and is loyal to his friends, but an rear end in a top hat nonetheless and yes, he is wrong at multiple times like practically every character. I don't hate him or anything, but if you think Kenny was right about most of the things he said, you are flat out wrong.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RBA Starblade posted:

The only reason I shot Kenny was because it seemed like the baby was killed by zombies and not at all Jane's fault and he was trying to murder her. I didn't pick up on her bullshitting about it because it sounded like she was trying to keep Clem out of the way of Hurricane Kenny to me, she didn't really get all that worked up when Luke died and she doesn't even give a poo poo about the baby.

She saw Clem as a surrogate sister and wanted Clem all for herself, she came back because she wanted her. Entire episode she instigates 90% of the fights with Kenny, rubs his dead family in his face and when he's screaming at her to stop keeps trying. She keeps trying to make Clem loathe Kenny with vague "He's going to hurt you" threats, and when the zombies show up on the bridge she screams at you to abandon him, and as soon as that doesn't work ditches you in the car while Clem is screaming at her to come back for help.

Then she comes in and very coldly tells you not to interfere, and that she's going to force you to see what Kenny can do- no point in the fight does she even try to mention the baby is okay to save herself, instead she shouts at Clem "KILL HIM". Kenny even flat out tells you "if she had told me about the baby I would of stopped." and why if you leave alone she talks about how she needs you.

She's awful

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

She saw Clem as a surrogate sister and wanted Clem all for herself, she came back because she wanted her. Entire episode she instigates 90% of the fights with Kenny, rubs his dead family in his face and when he's screaming at her to stop keeps trying. She keeps trying to make Clem loathe Kenny with vague "He's going to hurt you" threats, and when the zombies show up on the bridge she screams at you to abandon him, and as soon as that doesn't work ditches you in the car while Clem is screaming at her to come back for help.

Then she comes in and very coldly tells you not to interfere, and that she's going to force you to see what Kenny can do- no point in the fight does she even try to mention the baby is okay to save herself, instead she shouts at Clem "KILL HIM". Kenny even flat out tells you "if she had told me about the baby I would of stopped." and why if you leave alone she talks about how she needs you.

She's awful

Well, Kenny actually did hurt Clem (accidentally) in my game, mid Arvo beatdown.

By the end they are both very broken people. Actually that's the thing I got tired off with this; every single thing in the game is a binary choice that is a test of faith for everyone. It was similar in Season 1, but I mean, come on, when every dialogue has "holy poo poo can we stop this for one second" as an option it's like the game failed to take its own hint.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 27, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, Kenny actually did hurt Clem in my game, mid Arvo beatdown.

By the end they are both very broken people.

Huh, in my game Kenny just kind of turned to Clem and grit his teeth before stopping

I still think it's justified because while defenseless Arvo seriously tried to kill everyone in a gunfight and then tried to get everyone killed on the ice. Would it be better if Kenny gave him a knife or something before hitting him?

Edit: To your edit, I think that's the point. In the end Clem is a little girl, Kenny and Jane are adults. You can scream but they're kids- just because your the player doesn't mean they're going to stop just because you said "no don't".

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Given how Season 2 ends, I'm guessing a season 3 (there will be one) will not feature Clem and friends. Which is fine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Huh, in my game Kenny just kind of turned to Clem and grit his teeth before stopping

I still think it's justified because while defenseless Arvo seriously tried to kill everyone in a gunfight and then tried to get everyone killed on the ice. Would it be better if Kenny gave him a knife or something before hitting him?

If you go to help Arvo (I played the game as Clem trying to do what Lee did and always be the better person, even if the game apparently disagrees on what that means), he elbows you in the face because he just won't stop and is blind to everything else. Then he gets a "oh god what have I done" look on his face. gently caress Arvo though.

quote:

You can scream but they're kids- just because your the player doesn't mean they're going to stop just because you said "no don't".

Yeah, but at the same time Clem is still the only actually competent person and the game has recognized it repeatedly. As a player I felt the same way for most of it too. Like, just once just shut the gently caress up guys.

e: Oh I misread this, thought you said 'but Clem's a kid'.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 27, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Alright, season's over, I hope everyone is ready to do their Silent Clem play-through!

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
If they were looking to make the climax of the game a hard choice, they failed. That was so much fun!

I was mostly frustrated at the number of times in the last three episodes that option wasn't available.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, but at the same time Clem is still the only actually competent person and the game has recognized it repeatedly. As a player I felt the same way for most of it too. Like, just once just shut the gently caress up guys.

e: Oh I misread this, thought you said 'but Clem's a kid'.
On that same point though, yes Clem is 11, but they also made the choice to make her the protagonist this season so damned if you do, damned if you don't, but it would probably be worse if all you did was play a Clem that tried to be active but ended being made passive by everyone else. Those are somewhat weaker moments but the parts where you do have control but poo poo on it (trying to stop the fight, etc.) were all the better, I think. An actual adult would've been able to stop an actual fight, but not a child, despite their best attempts.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I was so put off when I had the Kenny vs. Jane choice that I flipped a coin. They're both crazy, who cared.

I was SO tempted to kill Kenny immediately afterwards too but I let the clock run out and ultimately wound up going to Wellington with Kenny and AJ. Which was actually a really satisfying, well-written ending that puts a good cork on it to me.

I liked the final ending but got the road it took to get here wasn't worth it. If I've learned anything from the Walking Dead Season 2, it's that there are a lot of ways to say "shut up, you're both stupid."

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Junkfist posted:

Season 3?

Nate.

"Your parents named you after a fruit? Jesus Christ, people are loving cruel. Uh...but I'm sure they were pretty cool. You'll see them again someday and whatever HEY do you mind reloading my Glock while I finish off this whiskey and drive off road?"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
400 Days is the most worthless/

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If you like Jane you like the person who eats glass.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

400 Days is the most worthless/
The format itself is a nice change of pace from the season long stuff though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was sympathetic because I did something similar when I was a child.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
After playing and seeing all endings, I still think the best one is going with Kenny to Wellington and staying there as he begs you to do. I was never a Kenny fan in Season 1 or even in 2, but the way he didn't even flinch when the lady guard said they had no room and then he immediately shouted "Take the kids!" did it for me.. I hated Jane so much for pretending the baby was dead that I did not even bother playing through her endings, just saw them on YouTube.

Again, this is no Season 1, but I still recommend this game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you like Jane you like the person who eats glass.

Retarded poo poo goes in her mouth, retarded poo poo comes out of Kenny's. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Good. loving. God.

What an episode.

(Episode 5 spoilers)

Congrats to Telltale for making me break down and cry like a baby after I let Kenny kill Jane. I thought she might have killed the baby out of cynicism and she kept instigating Kenny intentionally like a moron, plus I couldn't bear to kill Kenny even after being an obvious danger to everyone around him. (I mean, Jane did all of that just to prove a point to Clem who didn't want or need the point proven in the first place. I'd rather put diplomacy for survival's sake over risking getting murdered by the person you know would murder you for putting a baby's life at stake... I'd probably beat the poo poo out of Jane for using a baby's life as a playing card to begin with after the fight, and I'm nowhere near as broken as Kenny is.)

I couldn't really process what was happening until after it happened, then I had to pause the game to weep. I almost wanted to shoot Kenny right after, but I restrained myself. I went back and forth with my emotions, trying to justify Jane getting killed saying she deserved to die for riling up Kenny... Then I felt like a shitheel rationalizing it like that and said to myself nobody deserves to die for that. Then I thought "What the hell does this say about me if I put personal friendship over the safety of the group?" which made me cry even more and had a few moments of looking hard at myself in the mirror metaphorically speaking, like what the gently caress kind of leader would I be in a real-life situation like this?

Between Kenny stabbing Jane and Clem finding out the baby was still alive, I just had to pause and cry for a few minutes and process the emotions of it all.

"Why did this happen!?" indeed, Clem. :qq::qq::qq:

In the end, I decided that - no matter how hosed up Kenny is and his liability in the zombie apocalypse - I refuse to give up on someone I care so deeply about.

He will get better. I will not abandon this man, no matter how beaten or broken he may be. He needs someone like me (and the baby to sub in for Duck... I mean really, Kenny needs something to fill that void to get healthy mentally again) to bring him back to sanity, even if it flies in the face of all zombie apocalypse logic.

So, it was an easy choice not to stay at Wellington. :v: Kenny needs that baby, and he needs me, and goddamnit if I'm gonna abandon that poor bastard. I think that rest stop incident made us inseparable bros for life from here on out. :hellyeah:

I'm not surprised less than 25% of the people agreed with me on Kenny, of course.

What an emotional rollercoaster. Good job, Telltales. :golfclap: This episode deserves an award, soooooo much better over how weak and gimmicky Episode 4 seemed.

[e]: Watched the alternate ending and I'm "glad" I went with picking Kenny instead. I would have been utterly pissed at Jane and left her to rot anyways.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 27, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sober posted:

The format itself is a nice change of pace from the season long stuff though.

I don't disagree, it was nice to get all of that stuff at once.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Retarded poo poo goes in her mouth, retarded poo poo comes out of Kenny's. :v:

Kenny's from Florida, crazy poo poo comes out of his mouth, he just can't help it :v:

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

I definitely didn't play Clem the way I played Lee. Lee was an adult who always tried to keep reason unless pushed.

I played Clem like a kid who was sick of all the selfish adults and their dumb horseshit. And so, I think the Clem abandons Kenny and walks alone ending I got fits perfectly with that theme.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey, I'm from Florida and I can tell you I would never name my kid, Duck. Kenny's a special kind of Florida insane.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Man, the world hasn't gone to crap because of the zombies, it's gone to crap because no one is able to make a reasonable decision without a 12 year old child telling them what to do.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I'm not surprised less than 25% of the people agreed with me on Kenny, of course.

Keep in mind they're splitting it between like 5 different endings, so you may actually be in the plurality.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I really don't get how people try to say Kenny was off it or dangerous, which then somehow means the solution is obviously going with an even crazier dangerous person. Like at least you know Kenny has Clem in heart and all that, even if he's a stubborn rear end some most of the time. Jane just wants you around to sate her need for a dead little sister stand-in.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Beef Waifu posted:

Hey, I'm from Florida and I can tell you I would never name my kid, Duck. Kenny's a special kind of Florida insane.

Fort Lauderdalian?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Beef Waifu posted:

Duck is a nickname. His real name is Kenny Jr.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Kenny's a special kind of Florida insane.

He's from Fort Lauderdale, which is pretty close to Miami...which in my experience is filled with nothing but batshit insane people.

I believe it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

In It For The Tank posted:

Duck is a nickname. His real name is Kenny Jr.

Yes, I know this, Kenny Jr. is also lovely.

Roman Reigns posted:

He's from Fort Lauderdale, which is pretty close to Miami...which in my experience is filled with nothing but batshit insane people.

I believe it.

Yeah, Fort Lauderdale is a special kind of place.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just looked it up on Youtube and the Kenny ending is so much better than the Jane ending it's not even a contest. Going back to Carver's is just so dumb. I get that the idea is to make their own kind of Wellington if you let in the family, but what the hell.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 27, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Beef Waifu posted:

Yes, I know this, Kenny Jr. is also lovely.

Yeah, Fort Lauderdale is a special kind of place.

Kenny isn't very creative, all he can think to name the baby is Alvin Jr. He just doesn't know how else to name kids.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Bought season 1 THIS WEEKEND for full price, and now its like 75 percent off. Does steam have some sort of customer protection in place, or am i poo poo out of luck?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno how much I like the name Clementine, let's just call you Lee Jr.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, now that it's over, was luke flirting with Clementine? Because he started to get what felt a little too attached near the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Beef Waifu posted:

I dunno how much I like the name Clementine, let's just call you Lee Jr.

Look, I'm really sorry I hit you, but you know how I get when you disagree with me. I did this for the good of the family, Lee Jr.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Bought season 1 THIS WEEKEND for full price, and now its like 75 percent off. Does steam have some sort of customer protection in place, or am i poo poo out of luck?

You're hosed, unless you super want a game never buy it outside of a Steam sale.

• Locked thread