Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Turtlicious posted:

So, now that it's over, was luke flirting with Clementine? Because he started to get what felt a little too attached near the end.

Oh yeah Luke existed lol I forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

1stGear posted:

Kill Kenny erryday.

Dude was an aggressive dick who was constantly convinced he was right and could not accept challenges to his authority. He didn't understand the concept of diplomacy or tact, was never going to get over the death of Katjaa and Duck, and was never going to be happy in a community he didn't control (because he would convince himself that he could do it better). With the amount of poo poo he had gone through, and the amount of poo poo he was likely to continue going through, it was practically a mercy killing. Kenny's a bro and all, but sometimes you gotta let a bro go.

Jane should have been introduced earlier in the season so we could get a better look at her own litany of issues. I also wish that choosing to go with her was less binary than "Forgive" or "Get hosed *flips bird*". By the end of the season, I was exactly back where I was at the end of Episode 1: wanting to leave all these fuckers behind so I could go find Christa.

I did like the "Go with Jane, accept family" ending. The kid's comment at the end and Clem's practical eye-rolling dismissal of it was fantastic for showing how far she's come/fallen.

Yep, this was the ending I got and I'm happy with it. Kenny was too far gone and was not going to get any better, and Jane might be the same way with her manipulative bullshit, but all it looked like Kenny was doing was gearing up for a reenactment of the Donner Party. Jane's at least got her survival wits about her, and Clem can still benefit from their partnership, but I'll be keeping her on a short leash through Season 3. Plus, having to deal with the new family might give her a chance to atone for her poo poo and preserve what humanity she has left.

But man, I got teary eyed when Clem says "you'll get to see Katjaa and Duck again" (and then doesn't have the loving decency to put a round in his head to prevent him from turning).

Also gently caress you Telltale, my 400 Days choices didn't mean jack poo poo.

beefart fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 27, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

beefart posted:

Also gently caress you Telltale, my 400 Days choices didn't mean jack poo poo.[/spoiler]

I forgot who every single person in that was until the thread pointed it out at one point or another.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

1stGear posted:

You're hosed, unless you super want a game never buy it outside of a Steam sale.

25 dollars instead of 7 :smithicide:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

As far as endings go Mike and Bonnie should have offered to take clem and just leave arvo. I would have went with them in a heartbeat

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I liked how this episode let the 12 year old girl both have a swig of rum and smoke a cigarette.

Our little sweat pea is growing up :allears:

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Spalec posted:

I liked how this episode let the 12 year old girl both have a swig of rum and smoke a cigarette.

Our little sweat pea is growing up :allears:

When does she smoke a cigarette?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Do i need to reinstall walking dead to summon the saves from ~the cloud~ or will s2 automatically draw from those

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

DrManiac posted:

As far as endings go Mike and Bonnie should have offered to take clem and just leave arvo. I would have went with them in a heartbeat

I didn't quite get why they didn't offer in the first place? Arvo I couldn't give less of a poo poo about, but they clearly like Clem and know shes smart and useful.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Leper Residue posted:

When does she smoke a cigarette?

If you talk to Bonnie after you try to restart the truck she will offer you a cig.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Beef Waifu posted:

If you talk to Bonnie after you try to restart the truck she will offer you a cig.

Ah, she died my first playthrough with Luke, and in my second playthrough she hated my guts.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Dumb question but is there a save editor for Episode 5? I'm still beating myself up about not helping Luke. Or can I just restart the episode and retain all my choices from previous?

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Obliterati posted:

Dumb question but is there a save editor for Episode 5? I'm still beating myself up about not helping Luke. Or can I just restart the episode and retain all my choices from previous?

You have the option of rewinding specific parts of an episode, chapter by chapter - rewind to the beginning of that section and pick the choice you want.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Roman Reigns posted:

I didn't quite get why they didn't offer in the first place? Arvo I couldn't give less of a poo poo about, but they clearly like Clem and know shes smart and useful.

Especially since the reason they give is Kenny is crazy as gently caress. you'd think bonnie who really liked clem and is still hung up over the whole cabin thing would atleast offer. In fact everything would have ended better if everyone but Kenny and arvo just went in the truck and drove on

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Apparently, Bonnie is able to hate you. So if the worst decision can happen, chances are they will railroad everything based around that option like they did with Nick and Alvin's deaths.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also, apparently The Wolf Among Us is fully done. Should I buy that and marathon it for my Telltale fix? :f5:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Also, apparently The Wolf Among Us is fully done. Should I buy that and marathon it for my Telltale fix? :f5:

TWAU is good, but its even more railroady than Season 2 was. Much more so because its so heavily noir-influenced that if you don't deliberately hit the standard noir story beats and responses, it starts to feel a little off.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

TheRamblingSoul posted:

It was pretty good, I'd say it's well worth it.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I enjoyed it more than Walking Dead Season 2. It has its flaws, particularly in the last few episodes, but overall its pretty great.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

TheRamblingSoul posted:

It's good, but the last episode is pants on head dumb.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

beefart posted:

Yep, this was the ending I got and I'm happy with it. Kenny was too far gone and was not going to get any better, and Jane might be the same way with her manipulative bullshit, but all it looked like Kenny was doing was gearing up for a reenactment of the Donner Party. Jane's at least got her survival wits about her, and Clem can still benefit from their partnership, but I'll be keeping her on a short leash through Season 3. Plus, having to deal with the new family might give her a chance to atone for her poo poo and preserve what humanity she has left.

But man, I got teary eyed when Clem says "you'll get to see Katjaa and Duck again" (and then doesn't have the loving decency to put a round in his head to prevent him from turning).

Also gently caress you Telltale, my 400 Days choices didn't mean jack poo poo.

Nah you hosed up. Kenny wasn't too far gone and he did get better. He sacrificed everything for Clem and Alvie in his ending. Also, there is no way season 3 will have anything to do with Clementine, there are 5 completely different endings in this game. In the best ending, everything is gonna be all right for little Clem and Alvie.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm laughing my rear end off. Looked up a playthrough where Bonnie fell in the ice with luke. Thought that's how she died and watched as Clem broke the ice in fell in to, was kind of a strong scene to... until Bonnie randomly dolphin dived out of the water and went running to the house as if nothing happened. What the hell

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Shot Kenny, called Jane crazy and left her at the rest stop. Pretty happy with that ending, even after watching the others. I kept trying to just walk away while Jane and Kenny were fighting, since I've pretty much wanted to abandon the entire loving group since the beginning, so. Yeah, I'll take it.

I don't think this season has been any better or worse at making choices "matter" than season 1 or TWAU. It's always been mostly about tweaking later character behavior/attitude, not any real kind of CYOA-style forking. This season's had some awesome small moments, and even had a sensible theme running through it about what kind of person Clementine was going to be. But the plot has been all over the goddamn place, and it really suffered as a result. And when it came to characterization, pretty much every single character whiplashed between likable and unlikable, usually between episodes. It felt like they kept overcorrecting. Oh people hate Rebecca? Better make her suddenly nice to Clem. People think Mike's an awesome dude? Better make him turn traitor on the group. People love Jane? Better make her into a complete idiot monster. No one cares about Nick/Sarah/Luke? Welp, better unceremoniously off them and drop whatever we'd set the foundations for.

Will still be picking up Telltale games in the future, but will be waiting for a Steam sale most likely. Still worth playing, but Season 2 and TWAU were a step down. Like others have said, I don't know if it was due to losing the two guys who worked on Season 1, or if it was just a lightning-in-a-bottle thing.

escalator dropdown fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 5, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Did anyone else pre-order the game through Telltale directly way back to get the DVD and extra stuff? Any idea when that's coming out?

[e]: Also, just thought about a loose end that hasn't been addressed yet - Where was the option to tell Bonnie to gently caress off since Luke was specifically asking Clem to ignore Bonnie and shoot the zombies? I was respecting his wishes, lady, it's not exactly my fault and I didn't exactly do nothing to help.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 27, 2014

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
You're going to see Duck and Katjaa now :smith:

I'm mostly alright with my ending, which was with Jane and the family. Watching Kenny get worked up over Wellington was shades of his boat obsession all over again and he really was just seconds from murdering someone for little to no reason. I did feel a little hollow at the end when it ended with the glimpse of the gun and the 'suspicion' musical cue. Of course they have guns, it's the loving apocalypse.

I really did enjoy the flashback, though. Part of me wanted it to end there even if it would be a copout.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

escalator dropdown posted:

And when it came to characterization, pretty much every single character whiplashed between likable and unlikable, usually between episodes. It felt like they kept overcorrecting. Oh people hate Rebecca? Better make her suddenly nice to Clem. People think Mike's an awesome dude? Better make him turn traitor on the group. People love Jane? Better make her into a complete idiot monster. No one cares about Nick/Sarah/Luke? Welp, better unceremoniously off them and drop whatever we'd set the foundations for.

Wow, it's like human beings are capable of being both likable and unlikable at the same time or something.

The group breaking up at the construction site felt pretty well done to me. There was no keeping those people together at that point, and Luke's death just kind of broke the camels back. It was especially jarring to see Bonnie completely lose her will and revert to an rear end in a top hat junkie, but it felt natural.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I enjoyed the series up until episode 5. As a Kenny and Arvo hater from the start I felt railroaded in a direction I wasn't choosing. Basing everything around an unlikable character and a guy you'd have to be stupid to trust was dumb. But apparently I had an unusual view of it all according to the stats at the end.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Generation Internet posted:

Wow, it's like human beings are capable of being both likable and unlikable at the same time or something.

The way they bounced around and tweaked Rebecca and Jane was pretty egregious though. Jane especially. Jane was almost an entirely different character in Ep4 than she was in Ep3.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Junkfist posted:

The way they bounced around and tweaked Rebecca and Jane was pretty egregious though. Jane especially. Jane was almost an entirely different character in Ep4 than she was in Ep3.

Jane wasn't really a character in Ep 3 until after you bring in the horde.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Junkfist posted:

You're not wrong, I just personally felt like the differences were within the ream of possibility based on the different circumstances people were in.

Rebecca warming up to you after you spend a few days with them, she is going to have a kid soon, so she may as well practice being nice to them. Jane actively doesn't want to get involved, but starts to see something in Clem that she wants to protect, maybe she's still feeling guilty about her sister.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Generation Internet posted:

Watching Kenny get worked up over Wellington was shades of his boat obsession all over again and he really was just seconds from murdering someone for little to no reason.
I see a lot of people saying this but I don't understand the logic behind it. Kenny almost killed Jane because she made him believe that she left a child to die in the cold. She wanted to "prove a point" but the point she's trying to prove is one we're already well aware of just by observing how obsessed Kenny is about taking care of this baby. He didn't want to kill her over nothing, she came in acting like she left the baby to die out in the cold.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

lotus circle posted:

I see a lot of people saying this but I don't understand the logic behind it. Kenny almost killed Jane because she made him believe that she left a child to die in the cold. She wanted to "prove a point" but the point she's trying to prove is one we're already well aware of just by observing how obsessed Kenny is about taking care of this baby. He didn't want to kill her over nothing, she came in acting like she left the baby to die out in the cold.

He even says she could have stopped the fight at any time, all she had to do was say the baby was ok, but she wanted it to be a fight to the death.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm laughing my rear end off. Looked up a playthrough where Bonnie fell in the ice with luke. Thought that's how she died and watched as Clem broke the ice in fell in to, was kind of a strong scene to... until Bonnie randomly dolphin dived out of the water and went running to the house as if nothing happened. What the hell

Can you link this? I'm having a hard time finding it and I want to laugh too.

Also, I really, really wish Episode 4 was different, maybe extend the Carver thing a bit more. The whole RUSSIANS! thing still seems gimmicky as all hell. I mean, why the gently caress are a group of just-off-the-boat Russians in Nowhere, North Carolina? Like, not even a one-off comment from Arvo explaining it? C'mon. Not to mention the whole personality shift for Jane.

I have a feeling that Telltale had more plans for Carver with Episode 4, but decided an ending with beating his face in served the purposes of drama/shock and horror while they were working on Episode 3 and were like "Eh, gently caress it. We'll figure out something else for Episode 4 instead of dropping Carver half-way through Episode 4."

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 27, 2014

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

lotus circle posted:

Thank you! Exactly this. I don't see Kenny as some crazy psycho ready to pop and just start randomly killing everyone in sight. Yeah, he's been through some rough poo poo, but he's still Kenny, and if you're family he will never stop fighting for you. If it hadn't have been for every other character constantly provoking him, especially Jane who turned from a cold pragmatist into a real crazy person for no obvious reason, he would have been okay. Kenny is my bro until the end.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

lotus circle posted:

Kenny almost killed Jane because she made him believe that she left a child to die in the cold. She wanted to "prove a point" but the point she's trying to prove is one we're already well aware of just by observing how obsessed Kenny is about taking care of this baby. He didn't want to kill her over nothing, she came in acting like she left the baby to die out in the cold.

Yeah pretty much. The guy wasn't just bursting at the seams to kill someone. What set him off was that Jane was being an enormous personal prick to him, then with how she already acts he likely assumed she dumped the baby to save herself, since hey, it doesn't sound that far off. Then she won't say anything, then she pulls a knife, which even if she's putting it away she's already made it clear she wants that fight, a fight which she well-deservedly loses as well if someone's not there to bail her out. Not to mention, her ~point~ was retarded as all hell in the first place. Oh, so the point is that personally attacking a man who's lost two families, been beaten near to death, been roughed up in a myriad of other ways and then implying you left a BABY he cared about to die will REALLY piss him off? Well here's the nobel loving prize, clap clap clap. :v:

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
I made a split second decision to kill Kenny, because I honestly believed that Jane wouldn't have killed or left behind the baby on purpose. Then of course I found out she was a lying bitch. She had SO MANY OPPORTUNITIES to diffuse that situation and tell the truth but she didn't, even when she was about to get stabbed in the chest by Kenny. She was willing to let herself die to prove a loving point. Unbelievable. The only reason I went with her after was because I didn't want Clem to be alone, but there is no loving forgiving that. If I ever do another playthrough I'll be sure to let Kenny stab in her the loving heart. And I will enjoy every second of it.

Edit: Oh yeah also she claimed she didn't think that Kenny would go that far. Even if that were true why the gently caress didn't you stop him by telling the truth once you realized what was happening?!? What a bitch.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's okay when Jenny hits Arvo and robs him at gunpoint but when Kenny hits him it's too far

You should know this by now

Everyone in the group used Kenny for their own gains while talking poo poo about him literally non-stop. They'd tell him to go gently caress himself, whine about how spooky he is then ask him to do physical labor for them. Soon as he's done helping right back to "Kennys super hosed up what a bad guy!" gently caress them

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah pretty much. The guy wasn't just bursting at the seams to kill someone. What set him off was that Jane was being an enormous personal prick to him, then with how she already acts he likely assumed she dumped the baby to save herself, since hey, it doesn't sound that far off. Then she won't say anything, then she pulls a knife, which even if she's putting it away she's already made it clear she wants that fight, a fight which she well-deservedly loses as well if someone's not there to bail her out. Not to mention, her ~point~ was retarded as all hell in the first place. Oh, so the point is that personally attacking a man who's lost two families, been beaten near to death, been roughed up in a myriad of other ways and then implying you left a BABY he cared about to die will REALLY piss him off? Well here's the nobel loving prize, clap clap clap. :v:

Top it all off, in previous episodes doesn't Jane flat out tell everyone "I'll always cut the weakest link and save myself"? I know she talks to Clem about it but Kenny had every right to believe she ditched the baby

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

BobTheJanitor posted:

Thank you! Exactly this. I don't see Kenny as some crazy psycho ready to pop and just start randomly killing everyone in sight. Yeah, he's been through some rough poo poo, but he's still Kenny, and if you're family he will never stop fighting for you. If it hadn't have been for every other character constantly provoking him, especially Jane who turned from a cold pragmatist into a real crazy person for no obvious reason, he would have been okay. Kenny is my bro until the end.

I felt that Jane was going crazy in that she wanted Clem all to herself. She saw Kenny as a potential father figure for Clem, and didn't want to lose Clem to him. She's like the opposite of kenny, who wants to protect Clem cause she's family, where as she wants to protect Clem so she'll be family. She's like the crazy lady from the first season.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I shot Kenny and walked away from Jane. I wish I could've left with Mike and Arvo. I liked Mike well enough and, even though I never trusted him, I felt like Arvo could take care of himself. I had agreed with Kenny on a lot of the feelings he got towards other people, but the actions he was taking were so unhinged that I knew I had to leave him or kill him. Jane was a good teacher, but she should never have come back. Once I discovered that I killed Kenny because she manipulated him into snapping, I couldn't trust her anymore and had to walk away.

I ultimately enjoyed it. I didn't agree with every choice they made, but thought the characters were handled well. Everyone had good and bad qualities which forced you to make a tough a tough decision on how you would interact with them. I particularly enjoyed Kenny's arc. He was an interesting foil to Lee.

I'd be interested in seeing what Telltale does in season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Leper Residue posted:

I felt that Jane was going crazy in that she wanted Clem all to herself. She saw Kenny as a potential father figure for Clem, and didn't want to lose Clem to him. She's like the opposite of kenny, who wants to protect Clem cause she's family, where as she wants to protect Clem so she'll be family. She's like the crazy lady from the first season.

I compared her to the stranger in season 1's finale and I stick by it

Speaking of Season 3 I don't know what they're going to do. I can almost bet nothing with Clem as her story is done, but it would be a little strange to rewind time back to when the outbreak started and go through that whole song and dance again.

• Locked thread