Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

dhrusis posted:

Hey guys, I want a table saw. What do you think about this for buying new? I could buy something from Craigslist or a pawn shop, but I don't want to deal with things not working and not having the latest safety devices.

Is the lack of a dado capacity a big deal? Thats the only thing people say is bad about this unit.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW745-10-Inch-Job-Site-Capacity/dp/B000HXT2N6
Any circular saw can make dadoes, as long as you can set the saw depth. I've only ever seen saws that take dado stacks over in the USA and Canada. Over here tool shops don't sell dado stacks, nor have I ever seen a saw that could mount one.

You can just make several cuts close together and chisel out the waste to make a dado. Or use a router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Deedle posted:

Any circular saw can make dadoes, as long as you can set the saw depth. I've only ever seen saws that take dado stacks over in the USA and Canada. Over here tool shops don't sell dado stacks, nor have I ever seen a saw that could mount one.

You can just make several cuts close together and chisel out the waste to make a dado. Or use a router.

Dear lord, that's horrible if true. Dado stacks are so nice for setting up a ton of repeatable cuts in a hurry.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

wormil posted:

For handygoon projects or woodworking like building furniture? Those portable jobsite saws are fine for the former but for the latter you want a bigger table and quality fence. Really it boils down to what you will do with it.

Both. Can you recommend a good starter saw with some room to grow that would satisfy both needs? I figured I could make a table extension as my experience level increased, but maybe it's worth buying it to start.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

dhrusis posted:

Both. Can you recommend a good starter saw with some room to grow that would satisfy both needs? I figured I could make a table extension as my experience level increased, but maybe it's worth buying it to start.

If you see yourself wanting to start ripping things like big sheets of ply, definitely air towards a big boy saw. It'll just make your life easier in the long run.

I have one of these, it's a good all purpose saw. I picked it up on sale a while back for a little under $300.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-15-Amp-10-in-Heavy-Duty-Portable-Table-Saw-with-Stand-R4510/100090444

It's portable and stows away pretty neatly which is nice. When folded up the footprint is only about as large as a refrigerator dolly which is also a plus. My only real beef is about the fence, it's not the best, it's not the worst, it's somewhere in between.

Sointenly fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 15, 2014

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anyone know if the small Bosch IXO screw driver is any good, or something similar to it? It's my dad's birthday and he really likes my little 3.6v Li-ion screw driver (parkside) and commented on how nice and useful it was, but sadly I can't find it anymore as Lidl (where I bought it) never stocks these things regularly. So I am looking for some sort of equivalent and the little Bosch IXO looks like maybe it can fit the bill.

I have one of these and I'm fairly happy with it.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Sointenly posted:

If you see yourself wanting to start ripping things like big sheets of ply, defiantly air towards a big boy saw. It'll just make your life easier in the long run.

I have one of these, it's a good all purpose saw. I picked it up on sale a while back for a little under $300.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-15-Amp-10-in-Heavy-Duty-Portable-Table-Saw-with-Stand-R4510/100090444

It's portable and stows away pretty neatly which is nice. When folded up the footprint is only about as large as a refrigerator dolly which is also a plus. My only real beef is about the fence, it's not the best, it's not the worst, it's somewhere in between.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'm not ready to spend 500$ though, looks like you got a monster deal. I'll wait until I see it on sale.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dhrusis posted:

I'm not a believer in starter saws for a couple of reasons. First that a beginner needs the same things from a saw as an experienced person: precision, safety, and power. Second that an inadequate saw leads to frustration. Sometimes a cheap version of a tool is better than none but that isn't true with hand saws or tablesaws. The saw is the primary tool in most woodworking so you should never skimp. As for inexpensive saws, you'll get the most bang for the buck from an old Delta contractor saw, they are fantastic machines (with a good fence, either the Unifence, T2, or Biesemeyer), and common enough to be inexpensive. More modern saws are the Ridgid but they have an issue affecting precision, or the new Delta which has been getting favorable reviews and is sold by Lowes. There are lots more options in used but too many to list. Beyond that you're looking at spending $900 plus.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Anubis posted:

Dear lord, that's horrible if true. Dado stacks are so nice for setting up a ton of repeatable cuts in a hurry.

It's why I am gonna build Matthias Wandels screw advance box joint jig. Eventually I'm gonna make an adapter for my arbor to bring it up from 20mm to 30mm (euro standard) and also lengthen it so I can mount a dado stack. Then it's just a matter of finding a dado stack with a 30mm bore. But I've seen them around.

Also my new blade has a wobble, is there anything that can be done to fix that or am I hosed?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

dhrusis posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'm not ready to spend 500$ though, looks like you got a monster deal. I'll wait until I see it on sale.

You might want to consider a plunging track saw. Those go for ~300 euro with a 3 metre track. In my experience you can do almost anything with a track saw that you'd normally do with a table saw or radial arm saw.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Frogmanv2 posted:

I have one of these and I'm fairly happy with it.

Couldn't find the IXO so I got the PSR Select instead. Hope it's as good.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

wormil posted:

I'm not a believer in starter saws for a couple of reasons. First that a beginner needs the same things from a saw as an experienced person: precision, safety, and power. Second that an inadequate saw leads to frustration. Sometimes a cheap version of a tool is better than none but that isn't true with hand saws or tablesaws. The saw is the primary tool in most woodworking so you should never skimp. As for inexpensive saws, you'll get the most bang for the buck from an old Delta contractor saw, they are fantastic machines (with a good fence, either the Unifence, T2, or Biesemeyer), and common enough to be inexpensive. More modern saws are the Ridgid but they have an issue affecting precision, or the new Delta which has been getting favorable reviews and is sold by Lowes. There are lots more options in used but too many to list. Beyond that you're looking at spending $900 plus.

I agree with this - I guess when I said starter I was speaking more about rip capacity than precision and safety. From the reviews I'm seeing, the Dewalt 745 has great fence (but a crappy miter gauge), with a compact size and decent price. I'd consider this a starter saw because it isn't large enough to rip full sheets or anything, but its still good, safe and will last forever. I think this is what I'm going to pick up because its in my price range (sub 300) and looks like it has room to grow. If I need to rip big sheets of plywood I think I'll do the ground + clamped jig + foam sheet method for now.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

Also my new blade has a wobble, is there anything that can be done to fix that or am I hosed?

Pull it off the arbor and give everything a quick inspection for dirt/grime, etc. Last time I swapped back from my dado stack, I noticed a huge wobble in my regular blade. After cleaning the faces of the spacer and washers, I reassembled and the wobble was gone.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Assuming I want the tools featured, is this a good deal or is Milwaukee always doing this stuff? I'm new to keeping my eye out for Milwaukee deals...

vvvv Thanks, haven't been following the new, still catching up on the old.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 15, 2014

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

uwaeve posted:

Assuming I want the tools featured, is this a good deal or is Milwaukee always doing this stuff? I'm new to keeping my eye out for Milwaukee deals...

Earlier in the thread it was labeled a good deal.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011

Couldn't find the IXO so I got the PSR Select instead. Hope it's as good.
Just be prepared for the little knob on the slider that gets a bit out of the magazine to fall off after a week. No idea why that isn't glued on or molded in a single piece, but for some reason it isn't. Mechanically it's an IXO in a bigger package with the neat magazine and a bigger battery.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Found this over at reddit:

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

uwaeve posted:

vvvv Thanks, haven't been following the new, still catching up on the old.

Short answer: Yes

Longer answers:

Here's the 2013 Home Depot black Friday ad. Note the M12 kit which includes the impact and a cordless screw driver. This was considered a GOOD DEAL (if you bought these separately you'd pay $179). With the current deal you're getting the same impact driver but with a drill, which is a better / more useful tool imo.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Found this pretty cool old jointer, pretty good price and in working order, but I am pretty sure it's too large for my garage :( If only it had been a combo machine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Something perhaps more in my weight class, I am not sure if it's cast iron or aluminum, the rust on parts tells me iron, but the top sorta looks like an aluminum top. Also a 3-phase motor which is a nice touch. Aluminum tables are not great though, fir murders them quickly I am told, and I have lots of fir to work with. 100 euros the seller wants:

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

I've never seen a pulleycoupling before. Must have been a combo machine?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

And they lowered the price on that bigass jointer to 400e, pffff I can't fit in my workshop I can't fit it in my workshop I c-

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

And they lowered the price on that bigass jointer to 400e, pffff I can't fit in my workshop I can't fit it in my workshop I c-

do it you can always build a bigger workshop

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Just a heads up. I picked up the Drill kit with a free right angle drill the other day. The first 3 Home Depot's i tried were sold out of the $99 drill kit. It looks like this is a very popular promotion.

If you've been waiting on this, now would be the time to pull the trigger.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Sointenly posted:

Just a heads up. I picked up the Drill kit with a free right angle drill the other day. The first 3 Home Depot's i tried were sold out of the $99 drill kit. It looks like this is a very popular promotion.

Also..
If you sign up for the HD Pro Rewards program you get $20 off of $200. So You buy two M12 kits, get two free tools and get it all for $180.

Sointenly fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 27, 2014

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Sointenly posted:

Yeah I got the impact driver and they were sold out of the two things I wanted: a right angle drill or 4 Ah battery. It only took 45 minutes with 3 tiers of customer service reps to pay the right price for the deal and have a reasonable expectation I'll get the free thing for free when it shows up.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Chauncey posted:

I've never seen a pulleycoupling before. Must have been a combo machine?

Or some industrious fellow threw the coupling on a lathe and cut a groove in it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I found out it's an Emco, most likely part of a combo machine that was then turned into a stand alone machine. The planer table is cast iron and the top one is aluminum. I am probably buying it so I can joint and plane stuff until I can afford a bigger combo machine or some dedicated ones.

Will need to make a better fence though, and a new guard, but that should not be difficult to make one with wood with a cove cut in it.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

uwaeve posted:

Yeah I got the impact driver and they were sold out of the two things I wanted: a right angle drill or 4 Ah battery. It only took 45 minutes with 3 tiers of customer service reps to pay the right price for the deal and have a reasonable expectation I'll get the free thing for free when it shows up.

Yea, so I ended up doing a "Buy at store A, and pickup at store B" sort of thing because store A was sold out of the $99 drill kit.

When I got to store B, they had the Drill but had no idea what I was talking about when I handed them the right angle drill and told them I wanted it for free. I ended up having to walk them over to the Milwaukee display to prove it, then return the drill and then re-buy it at the managers desk.

I wish the rotary tool was a part of this deal. That's a great little tool but not something i'd pay $75 for on it's own.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Sointenly posted:

Yea, so I ended up doing a "Buy at store A, and pickup at store B" sort of thing because store A was sold out of the $99 drill kit.

When I got to store B, they had the Drill but had no idea what I was talking about when I handed them the right angle drill and told them I wanted it for free. I ended up having to walk them over to the Milwaukee display to prove it, then return the drill and then re-buy it at the managers desk.

I wish the rotary tool was a part of this deal. That's a great little tool but not something i'd pay $75 for on it's own.

I had the same experience.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Something perhaps more in my weight class, I am not sure if it's cast iron or aluminum, the rust on parts tells me iron, but the top sorta looks like an aluminum top. Also a 3-phase motor which is a nice touch. Aluminum tables are not great though, fir murders them quickly I am told, and I have lots of fir to work with. 100 euros the seller wants:

I see a cast iron top, no aluminum there. Find the longest, widest jointer you can afford/fit. I'm still trying to find a nice 8" or larger that I can swap a helical cutter head on.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The fence looks to be aluminum, but yeah, everything else, no way.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm buying it even if it's a piece of poo poo if only for the motor, perhaps sometime this coming week I'll be able to go get it, a simple magnet test should tell me if it's cast iron or not. But since it's an Emco and they made these machines and I found out they where aluminum and the planer table cast iron, I am pretty sire that's how it is, unless this is is some rare vintage. Width of the blades on this should be 8". The big jonsered which is just too large sadly, is a 16" jointer I believe.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
So I finally moved into a Big Boy house with a workshop and everything, and now have the opportunity to start building up a collection of tools I had no justification for owning before. In the immediate term I'm looking at a few small DIY projects (no more demanding than cutting some plywood/MDF and 2x4's / planks) and was considering picking up one of the various cordless tool sets to give me a good all-around base to start with. I've got a few questions:

- 18v vs 12v? I've seen a lot of people speak well of 12v tools for everyday use, but I am guessing that if I wanted an all-around set I should be aiming for 18v? If I go that route, does it make sense to get a heavy duty 18v impact drill and then just get something separate in the 12v range for light duty?
- What would I realistically need a 1/2" chuck for? Can I get away with 3/8" for most everyday use?
- Are 18v circular saws worth it, if it's going to be my primary cutting tool? Or are they just not going to be sufficient beyond slicing 2x4's (which will probably still be a lot of what I do)?
- How much do I really want/need a reciprocating saw?
- Are there other tools that would be good to consider for a rounded cordless toolbox?
- Are there any tools (mentioned or otherwise) I should just nut up and get a corded/table for?
- Brand overload.
-- Ryobi: Worthwhile, or a "trap" purchase? There seem to be a ton of tools and sets available, making the battery re-usability seem very appealing; however, based on price-point alone I'm wary, and am certainly willing to spend more on tools I'll be happy with for a long time.
-- DeWalt/Makita/Milwakee/Rigid: I've seen them all mentioned positively. Any particular pros/cons between the brands, or is it just a matter of preference
- Purchasing: Are there any online stores I should be shopping, or can I mostly do pretty well just looking at what they've got at the Home Depot down the street?

Sorry if these are answered elsewhere -- I skipped back a few pages and didn't see anything solid.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
re: which cordless tools to buy, might be good to add a few recommendations to the OP since this topic comes up every couple of pages.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Sointenly posted:

Hmm, are you talking about this? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...26-20/204463345 (Nevermind, you're talking about a Dremel like tool)

For what it's worth I noticed a bunch of these $99 kit bundles on their website recently. There are a couple of other combos that were not part of the original deal, like a drill + flashlight combo. Online only, but free shipping or ship to store. No idea if these will be available after the B&M deal ends.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Hubis posted:

So I finally moved into a Big Boy house with a workshop and everything, and now have the opportunity to start building up a collection of tools I had no justification for owning before. In the immediate term I'm looking at a few small DIY projects (no more demanding than cutting some plywood/MDF and 2x4's / planks) and was considering picking up one of the various cordless tool sets to give me a good all-around base to start with. I've got a few questions:

- 18v vs 12v? I've seen a lot of people speak well of 12v tools for everyday use, but I am guessing that if I wanted an all-around set I should be aiming for 18v? If I go that route, does it make sense to get a heavy duty 18v impact drill and then just get something separate in the 12v range for light duty?
- What would I realistically need a 1/2" chuck for? Can I get away with 3/8" for most everyday use?
- Are 18v circular saws worth it, if it's going to be my primary cutting tool? Or are they just not going to be sufficient beyond slicing 2x4's (which will probably still be a lot of what I do)?
- Are there other tools that would be good to consider for a rounded cordless toolbox?
- Are there any tools (mentioned or otherwise) I should just nut up and get a corded/table for?
- Brand overload.
-- Ryobi: Worthwhile, or a "trap" purchase? There seem to be a ton of tools and sets available, making the battery re-usability seem very appealing; however, based on price-point alone I'm wary, and am certainly willing to spend more on tools I'll be happy with for a long time.
-- DeWalt/Makita/Milwakee/Rigid: I've seen them all mentioned positively. Any particular pros/cons between the brands, or is it just a matter of preference
- Purchasing: Are there any online stores I should be shopping, or can I mostly do pretty well just looking at what they've got at the Home Depot down the street?

Sorry if these are answered elsewhere -- I skipped back a few pages and didn't see anything solid.

I wanted all my tools on 1 battery type and I didn't think 12v saws would get me very far. 18v is sometimes overkill for screw jobs in the house, but the platform has been meeting my needs so far for saws, drivers, grinders, and radios. I just want Bosch to release a sander and a blower/fan in 18v and I'll be a happy DIYer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hubis posted:

- Brand overload.

There's generally a better range of 18v tools than 12v, and more power is better unless the wrought is a problem. Rather than get 2 voltages of tool with 2 different batteries and chargers, lots of ranges have a lightweight screwdriver or drill driver as well as the normal/heavy impact combo drill driver.
1/2" impact - vital working on a car.
Reciprocating saw, want, more than need. Basically a demo saw.

As a primary cutting tool I'd have (I do have) a corded circular saw, but that's personal preference. I'd want a jigsaw and sander, perhaps grinder and reciprocating tool.

I won't recommend a brand, most are good. I can't speak for buying outside the UK.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
I will say that I use the Ryobi drill and circular saw for my daily DIY use, and they're good enough. There are occasions where I do wish I had something with a bit more power, but they are fine for a casual DIYer.

I also have the caulk gun (<$10 on clearance) , which is generally mocked here, but it's good for getting an even bead of construction adhesive without killing your hand. However I will say the orbital sander is nearly useless and I've since picked up a wired one.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Cakefool posted:

There's generally a better range of 18v tools than 12v, and more power is better unless the wrought is a problem. Rather than get 2 voltages of tool with 2 different batteries and chargers, lots of ranges have a lightweight screwdriver or drill driver as well as the normal/heavy impact combo drill driver.
1/2" impact - vital working on a car.
Reciprocating saw, want, more than need. Basically a demo saw.

As a primary cutting tool I'd have (I do have) a corded circular saw, but that's personal preference. I'd want a jigsaw and sander, perhaps grinder and reciprocating tool.

I won't recommend a brand, most are good. I can't speak for buying outside the UK.

Well Milwaukee is the exception in 12V with outstanding variety. Makita has the most 18V tools.

Personally if I were starting out I'd get an M12 fuel drill (1/2" chuck) and go from there.

You don't need an 18V drill but you might want an 18V circular/reciprocating saw and some other things which actually require power.

Ryobi is good as a primary set if you're on a tight budget. If you're not on a tight budget Ryobi is still good to fill in gaps with things like a $30 jig saw, tire inflator, yard tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Hubis posted:

i like my bosch 12v stuff a lot.

quote:

yes

quote:

I really like mine (bosch again) but you pay a big premium in money and cutting power. For around the house I'd say corded.

quote:

not very much at all

quote:

A decent table saw will be a Blessing Upon Your House

rotor fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 3, 2014