Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

g0lbez posted:

The competitors in Masterchef are given recipes before most challenges, I'm sure that helps.

Do they get to practice? They do a good job keeping the recipes off camera.

"I've never made an apple pie before"

You mean before TODAY when you had practice to make a few earlier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

g0lbez posted:

The competitors in Masterchef are given recipes before most challenges, I'm sure that helps.

Also cooking classes for said recipes. Otherwise if you take any Joey Fartpants off the street like Cutter (remember his ~artisan~ pizza?) and tell them to make you dim sum, odds are they won't even know what that is. A recipe won't tell them what they need to know either. Don't get me wrong, he still hosed it up; but without that level of instruction MC would be even more amateur hour.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

g0lbez posted:

One of the things the other contestants would criticize Monti for in season 3 was that she'd just "memorize" recipes and couldn't innovate. Apparently when the other cast members would go out to party and drink she'd stay back and spend time researching food stuff.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Also cooking classes for said recipes. Otherwise if you take any Joey Fartpants off the street like Cutter (remember his ~artisan~ pizza?) and tell them to make you dim sum, odds are they won't even know what that is. A recipe won't tell them what they need to know either. Don't get me wrong, he still hosed it up; but without that level of instruction MC would be even more amateur hour.

I would think they learn several cooking styles and techniques each week, not knowing which one they'll be challenged on, and have to do the best they can. The sushi challenge which has been in every season is a pretty good example. There is no way on earth they didn't have a full cooking class on how to prepare sushi, how to cut the fish, how to make the rice, how to make tempura, how to make a roll. Even Gordon Ramsay on his first attempt to make a sushi roll it took him like 10 minutes while the professional sushi chef did it in a minute. It's not something you can spring on someone with no training or preparation in the style and expect anything but a mess on the plate.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Bob Morales posted:

Do they get to practice? They do a good job keeping the recipes off camera.

"I've never made an apple pie before"

You mean before TODAY when you had practice to make a few earlier?

I believe some former contestants have said that this is basically the case. They've mentioned how they have to wear the same clothes for days on end in order to make the editing easier. It makes sense, especially if they were getting cooking classes in between each round, which would give the producers that much more extra 'stock footage' to play around with. Add in the usual voiceover / cutaway shenanigans, it would give you a huge amount of material to help craft whatever narrative you wanted.

g0lbez posted:

They also only had to make a couple of dozen individual items in a setting they were familiar with (the MC set), versus cranking out 300+ in a kitchen they had never worked in before.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

g0lbez posted:

Now I wonder how the hell Christine Ha was able to get through MC and win the whole thing. Well, besides having the assistant next to her during those challenges.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

g0lbez posted:

I wish they wouldn't hide that. It's slipped past editing a few times (Willie a few episodes had a comment where he was looking for an ingredient and he didn't know what it was). Masterchef Australia doesn't make a secret of giving their cooks recipes and they use that to give the cooks absolutely absurd dishes (though mainly deserts) that have to be carefully constructed. You don't lose the drama and it brings the contestants down to earth in my view.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ghostpilot posted:

gently caress the renovation, I want to know Sandy's secrets to getting a dozen people to willingly work for him for free for months and years!

This baffled me. Having a hanger-on who isn't getting paid could happen, but how could you accumulate a dozen people like this in the middle of nowhere? How did the chef guy support his family? Did Sandy buy the hula hoop instructor her hula hoop?

It makes no sense, unless they were a cult or something.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's wrong with him? Should we root for him?

I don't know if I should spoiler background information on an upcoming contestant, so I will just in case.

Regarding upcoming Hell's Kitchen contestant: Steve Rosenthal

I worked with Steve for a short time around 5 years ago. Interestingly, I worked with him at the same restaurant I worked with Russell (season 8). Russell and Steve worked together for a little while. I assume they have talked about what the competition / filming is like.

Steve was recently the executive chef of a restaurant in Washington D.C. That restaurant recently closed, and the reviews were mixed. From what I remember, Steve had a fairly grating personality / harsh sense of humor. On the plus side for him, he actually can cook. He is, in particular, fond of atypical meat cuts and should be strong on meats. I am expecting that he will finish in the top 3/4. And, if he has sorted out his personality issues over the last couple years, he should have a good chance at actually winning. If, however, he is still fairly confrontational, I would expect him to have a very Russell like arc, resulting in a villain edit.

I didn't work with him long enough to have any real personal info. But he should be one to watch once the herd gets thinned a bit.

In non-spoiler related news, Russell recently got engaged. As bad of an edit as he got and as bad as he himself reacted to the stress/situation,(regardless of the edit, he did still blabber on about blackballing people like a douche), in my experience Russell is actually a pretty good guy. He could get fairly intense during service, but that's not all that exceptional in the industry.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Watching MasterChef Professional AU right now. Anthony was a dick. Dude made a bad dish and he was so arrogant about it that it became hilarious. "I made that dish for Penelope Cruz and got rave reviews!"

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dancing Peasant posted:

Now I wonder how the hell Christine Ha was able to get through MC and win the whole thing. Well, besides having the assistant next to her during those challenges.

Christine won because she was blind and that makes for a good story. Probably why Courtney will win this year. Rags to riches; stripper to chef.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Cutter and Leslie are about to throw down and you guys are too busy with leaked celeb pics to post. Shameful.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Who needs nude celebs when you have Speedo Gordon every week?

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I'm here. :shobon:

I liked the blue team switching leadership like a game of hot potato.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Courtney looks so much better without her godawful makeup on.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Bye Christian you're up against 2 producer darlings you dont stand a chance.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This is the dumbest challenge

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"Well, if you can't get one off, then how the hell am I?"

And Courtney triumphantly hair-tosses in the background.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Where's Joe, anyway?

Hope he never comes back.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
She was on their poo poo list since shutting down in the previous challenge. Get ready to mumble your farewell speech for the camera.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

Bye Christian you're up against 2 producer darlings you dont stand a chance.

Or not.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Well I'm shocked. I guess Jamiees was just so obviously bad they couldnt even pretend to let her through. I am impressed by them for once.

I never thought the best one at baking would end up making GBS threads the bed so hard on a baking challenge. :(

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Just a reminder, this is a grown woman acting like a 2nd grade dweeb

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mmmm. Brains/heart/guts episode next week

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

ElGroucho posted:

Just a reminder, this is a grown woman acting like a 2nd grade dweeb

I find it endearing! v:shobon:v

2 seasons now and I still can't get over this Hotel Hell theme.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

Ghostpilot posted:

I can't believe it's an actual song.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Ghostpilot posted:

I saw a picture of her with a more normal pixie haircut, and she looked really good.

Ghostpilot posted:

The HH song is the worst, but HK's intro as a whole is a hundred times more horrible.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

:lol: why won't women listen to a winner like me

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

If I got a plate with loving ants on it I can't even imagine what would happen.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
It would really make me happy if all this ghost poo poo turned out to be the fat brother rolling across beds she made, secretly taking a bite of her sandwich, and trying to kill her with arson

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Too bad ghosts and spirits can't pay the rates.

E: They hand-write the credit-card info? :stonk:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

liltimshady posted:

Too bad ghosts and spirits can't pay the rates.
They can just read the guest ledger and get some CC numbers.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Ha ha the ghost locked Gordon in. :rolleye:

Note to self: Never eat when this show is on.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Here we go, loving ghosts, we are going to play along with this bullshit

gently caress you Ramsey

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
"I am very proud of my food."

Food is, of course, crap.

E: Limper that his granddad's cock.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I hope these poor cameramen are well paid :gonk:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

liltimshady posted:

Note to self: Never eat when this show is on.
There's the Mandatory Naked Gordon.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was wondering when we'd see Ramsey's flat British rear end

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

Mad Dragon posted:

There's the Mandatory Naked Gordon.

It's not the naked Gordon in the shower as much as the dead bugs, rotting food, and the black-light :cumpolice:.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Did they do a black light tonight? I haven't been paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

Mad Dragon posted:

Did they do a black light tonight? I haven't been paying attention.

They haven't. Just a lot of dust collecting thanks to the ghosts and spirits masquerading as customers.