Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

So, Hyrule Warriors Link is getting a new weapon in the upcoming free update:

Clearly, it was dangerous to go alone. :getin:

... I wonder how many people who see this are going to assume it's a Minecraft reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

W.T. Fits posted:

... I wonder how many people who see this are going to assume it's a Minecraft reference.

3d Dot Game Heros reference, clearly. :colbert:

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

You seriously just depressed me because this is going to happen with the youth who play this game and never owned an NES and/or SNES :(

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Spectacle Rock posted:

You seriously just depressed me because this is going to happen with the youth who play this game and never owned an NES and/or SNES :(

Welcome to midlife crisis, I guess.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

W.T. Fits posted:

Clearly, it was dangerous to go alone. :getin:

I'm ashamed to admit that's what I thought it was at first. :smith: I'm not even a young'un. I'm loving 30!

Somewhat in my defense I never played Zelda until Ocarina of Time, and never owned a NES, so that sword wasn't branded into my brain like it must have been for folks who played it back in the day.

I realized my mistake after a couple seconds of staring at it, but my first thought was Minecraft sword. :(

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I too made that mistake. It doesn't even look like a minecraft sword.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spectacle Rock posted:

Dude, the kids going to college now were barely in kindergarten when the N64 came out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The NES is 31 years old going by Japanese dates. There are people with kids into Zelda who weren't born when the NES came out.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

The NES is 31 years old going by Japanese dates. There are people with kids into Zelda who weren't born when the NES came out.

Dude, Zelda came out in 86, hell... I wasn't born when it came out.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

anybody who thought that was a minecraft sword please leave this thread. thank you.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Considering mine craft is something the average person has booted up at least once in the last 20 years, mistaking the sword for a few seconds hardly seems condemnable.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

NTT posted:

Considering mine craft is something the average person has booted up at least once in the last 20 years, mistaking the sword for a few seconds hardly seems condemnable.

Yeah, right. Turn in your gamer badge, pardner. Next you'll be telling me you don't keep a TV with cathode ray tubes around just so you can still use the NES zapper!

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I was born in 1990. I had my NES and I played the gently caress out of it including Zelda. Many times. I hated that damned wizrobe room in the sixth dungeon.

I never managed to beat the 2nd quest. :smith:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I owned a NES when I was a kid, but didn't have Zelda. I played it on the virtual console a few years ago, and I was really confused, because from all of the people who still talked about it I kinda assumed it would be a good game.

:colbert:.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I never had a NES and so I didn't play it for years later, where yeah, its a pretty rough old game and hard to get into now. :smith:

SNES was my jam though and LTTP rules hardcore, even by modern standards.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

I owned a NES when I was a kid, but didn't have Zelda. I played it on the virtual console a few years ago, and I was really confused, because from all of the people who still talked about it I kinda assumed it would be a good game.

:colbert:.
You have to realize the time it was made, dude. Sure, now it's basically just a wandering around trial and error simulator, but back then it was an amazing adventure.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Endorph posted:

You have to realize the time it was made, dude. Sure, now it's basically just a wandering around trial and error simulator, but back then it was an amazing adventure.

Yeah, I know, but the reason I bought it is because a friend of mine insisted it "still held up". I made him pay me back the two bucks or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well I mean for two bucks it's at least interesting to play through.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Inverness posted:

I was born in 1990. I had my NES and I played the gently caress out of it including Zelda. Many times. I hated that damned wizrobe room in the sixth dungeon.

I never managed to beat the 2nd quest. :smith:

Go fix that. Then, do the first quest without getting a sword till you reach Gannon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, it's definitely worth two bucks. I remember playing Zelda II more, although I'm not positive I beat either of them until save states were a thing.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, right. Turn in your gamer badge, pardner. Next you'll be telling me you don't keep a TV with cathode ray tubes around just so you can still use the NES zapper!

I do, actually!

It also makes for a great TV stand for my HDTV.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

NTT posted:

this thread is for true zelda fans only. please leave.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I played Zelda 1 for the first time a few years ago after getting it as part of the 3DS Ambassador program, and I still thought it was fun. It was neat just wandering around and happening upon the dungeons, which is easier than you think at first. My favorite moment was discovering Level-8, getting far enough in to get the Magic Book, then bailing, so that when I found the magic rod, it was already upgraded (unfortunately when I got back to clearing L8 I never found the magic key, which made Death Mountain way more trouble than it should have been). The only thing that really annoyed me about it was that Link stabs instead of swinging like he does in the later 2D games. Savestates helped though, especially with that old woman who will steal your money instead of giving you a hint if you pay her too much or too little.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 28, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I love Zelda a lot and probably excuse a lot of its flaws for nostalgia and life reasons, but the original game, by any modern perspective, is definitely a game to play with gamefaqs in front of you. They literally expect you to just walk into walls with no provocation until you magically go through them. Not even sometimes, that's like the gimmick of the later game and the second quest.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah I beat the NES games for the first time just a few years ago, and I only managed to do either thanks to maps on GameFAQs. I have no idea how anyone was ever able to navigate the more obtuse segments of Zelda 2 without help.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MokBa posted:

Yeah I beat the NES games for the first time just a few years ago, and I only managed to do either thanks to maps on GameFAQs. I have no idea how anyone was ever able to navigate the more obtuse segments of Zelda 2 without help.

I don't think the navigation of Zelda 2 is too difficult, at least, not in ways that Gamefaqs can help you with. If you gently caress up with directions, basically all you have to do is fight more aggravating rear end in a top hat dagger-throwing knights. It's the invisible pits, which virtually nothing but save states can help you with, that you have to worry about.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

MokBa posted:

Pain and suffering, or asking a friend. You were expected to draw a map for Zelda 1 and 2. Eventually you learn where all the bullshit-pits are in Zelda 2, for example, and learn how to milk the game for extra lives.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

I love Zelda a lot and probably excuse a lot of its flaws for nostalgia and life reasons, but the original game, by any modern perspective, is definitely a game to play with gamefaqs in front of you. They literally expect you to just walk into walls with no provocation until you magically go through them. Not even sometimes, that's like the gimmick of the later game and the second quest.

Are there any walk-though walls that you're forced to use in the First Quest? I can't recall any right now.

edit:

Chronojam posted:

Pain and suffering, or asking a friend. You were expected to draw a map for Zelda 1 and 2. Eventually you learn where all the bullshit-pits are in Zelda 2, for example, and learn how to milk the game for extra lives.

Didn't Zelda 1 originally come packaged with a map?

edit 2:

This one, I think.
http://www.zeldalegends.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=401&fullsize=1
With that in mind, I think it's intended that you have a map of the overworld with you when you play, and they just either didn't put it ingame or couldn't due to system limitations.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 28, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Motto posted:

Are there any walk-though walls that you're forced to use in the First Quest? I can't recall any right now.

I just played it and I could swear levels 7 and 8 have invisible wall-doors. Maybe I'm wrong though!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zelda 1 could probably be made a lot more accessible if they made a 3D Classic version that gave you the option to display a proper overworld map on the bottom screen, and also added a hint system made up of short video clips like SS and OOT3D have.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I had that little paper map, you were supposed to fill in spaces and take notes.

Bicyclops posted:

I just played it and I could swear levels 7 and 8 have invisible wall-doors. Maybe I'm wrong though!

They didn't, but 7 had one tricky to find block-hatch and 8 had some doors that funneled you down certain vertical chains.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chronojam posted:

They didn't, but 7 had one tricky to find block-hatch and 8 had some doors that funneled you down certain vertical chains.

Ah, you're right. 8 just had the groups of staircases that you basically have to label A, B, C, etc. until you could figure out what the heck you were doing and a great many of the passages were dead ends that cost you rupees.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
So some (all?) Gamestops are getting a Wii U demo of Hyrule Warriors. You can play as Link, Zelda, or Midna.

As of right now, at least one Gamestop near me has the demo. Your mileage may vary.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I wonder if they're going to stagger the free stuff or if we'll be able to get the wooden sword on day 1.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Can't wait to see all the other weapons they're going to add :allears:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Spectacle Rock posted:

So some (all?) Gamestops are getting a Wii U demo of Hyrule Warriors. You can play as Link, Zelda, or Midna.

As of right now, at least one Gamestop near me has the demo. Your mileage may vary.
Probably only a software update for GameStops that already had existing Wii U kiosks.

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

mastajake posted:

For anyone who hasn't already heard, it looks like Link week be making an appearance in Mario Kart, as well as a Hyrule themed track.

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-ddc/animal-crossing-x-mario-kart-8-aoc-pack-digital-download/10991122.html

Where does Mario Kart 8 fit on the timeline?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

BowieFett posted:

Before Majora's Mask but after F Zero GX.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Flytrap posted:

Before Majora's Mask but after F Zero GX.

That's Skyward Sword Link, so Mario Kart 8 takes place around the time of Skyward Sword and other Mario Karts occur earlier than every Zelda. Donkey Kong is now the start of the Zelda timeline.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

BowieFett posted:

You know that part in Wind Waker's introductory backstory about how Ganon conquered Hyrule because the hero never appeared? It's because he was too busy grinding coins for that gold glider

• Locked thread