Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
poo poo, that's definitely way bigger than my HG stuff. I'll have to think about that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

madpanda posted:

"Require" is not the right word for this reply.

They are colored out of the box. If you want to make them look better its all a matter of how much effort you want to put into them.

Depends on your tolerance for slapping thick, ill-fitting paper stickers on your model, really. Mine is pretty low.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

WickedHate posted:

It's so cheap! Not even expensively cheap! I can't even find an emote to convey my feelings of love towards it. So does High Grade not take painting?

The other two, I'm not big on Wing and haven't watched 00, so I'm not as interested, but I've been trying to go through most of Gundam lately(until recently I was only a fan of G), and I'll get to 00 eventually. I've been kind of looking forward to it since I saw another figure of that same Gundam the other day and thought it was pretty badass.

Remember that even if you're horrible at painting, if you're willing to spend the time masking everything with tape even a total ham hands can do a good job.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

It's so cheap! Not even expensively cheap! I can't even find an emote to convey my feelings of love towards it. So does High Grade not take painting?

Keep in mind your gonna be paying five or so dollars on top of that to get it shipped to you, more if you want it in any kind of reasonable time frame. You can also just use the stickers for high grades but I'd really recommend getting a brush and learning how to handpaint some of the smaller details it will really add a lot to your kits.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Keep in mind your gonna be paying five or so dollars on top of that to get it shipped to you, more if you want it in any kind of reasonable time frame. You can also just use the stickers for high grades but I'd really recommend getting a brush and learning how to handpaint some of the smaller details it will really add a lot to your kits.

N'th-ing this. When I first built Gunpla many moons ago I quickly learnt that the stickers were terrible and immediately started using paints instead. Most of the time you just need a spot of paint here, a spot of paint there. Over time I started fully painting the HG kits and then spot-painting anything MG/RG.

Ah, nostalgia.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Bimmi posted:

Depends on your tolerance for slapping thick, ill-fitting paper stickers on your model, really. Mine is pretty low.

For a brand new person though trying to get into the hobby that might be fine and required painting adds another barrier to entry. I just got into it and already decals are pissing me off, but just starting out the no paint thing really was a selling point.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ok, over labor day weekend, I'm planning to build, or start on, this baby: http://dalong.net/review/seed/sh59/sh59_i.htm

I hate the way the gold plastic looks, and it's a bitch to make decals look good, so I'm planning to make this my first painting job. Looking for some tips.

What I've got in terms of paints is spray cans of:

Tamiya Gold (21 I think?)
Tamiya Matte Black (I kinda like matte)
Tamiya Grey Primer
Tamiya White Primer

Along with:

Testors Dullcoat (last resort)
Mr. Color Semi-Gloss Top Coat
Mr. Super Clear Flat
50 Alligator clips on sticks to hold pieces
Big mother fuckin' styrofoam circle base to jam the clips into
Paint brushes and a bunch of Tamiya color paints, including a red to use on the red spots
Gundam Markers (just because)
A little bottle of Tamiya Surface Primer
Tamiya Extra Thin Cement
Tamiya Masking Tape
Nippers, knives, sanding sticks
Deck outside to spray poo poo on
Maybe other things I forgot to mention

Ok, friends, tell me how not to gently caress up and somehow burn my house down, while making my kit look at least passable. My plan was to clip out all the black and gold pieces, sand the numbs off at the least, put them all on alligator clips (not together, just like, all gold, and then all black), prime them up, paint the gold ones up, mask the parts on the black ones I want to be red, paint the black ones up, remove the masking tape, hand paint the red spots, build that fucker, top coat the gently caress out of it, possibly die from horrible toxic fumes.

How many mistakes have I just made?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone painted the Qubeley Papillon that can validate a thing I want to do?

I'm planning on making the whole thing metallic. The purple torso parts will be done with Vallejo metallic medium after priming, the dark steel parts with accompanying Alclad, the remainder I plan on candy-coating. Primer, airbrushed Alclad gloss black, airbrushed Alclad chrome, and airbrushed turquoise mixed from Tamiya transparent green/blue. The coral parts I'll mask after applying the chrome.

Here's the thing I want to do: I'll use the decals themselves for masking. I'll stick them to my skin or shirt once or twice to de-tack them a little and make them easier to pull off later.

However, since the cuffs and other small parts may be iffy, I plan on hand-painting on the coral pink accent parts mixed with Vallejo metallic medium once I figure out how to mix the coral right.

The thing for that: reverse masking. I'll cut out the parts of the decal that remain after removing it, and just slip it over, using it as a hand-painted mask.

I do have the paint-on mask stuff, but I've had real problems getting it fully cleanly removed, especially from really tight parts - the elbow cuffs, toes, etc. come to mind.

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

Alright, so I just finished up the Iron Kong I bought from Fauxtool, and per request, here he is next to my other models.

This sucker is big, and took a long rear end time to build, but I would say I definitely had more fun building it than building an MG Gunpla.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Speaking of stuff people bought from Fauxtool, here's the Build Mark II.

Very fun build, especially enjoy the arm cannons.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

Ok, over labor day weekend, I'm planning to build, or start on, this baby: http://dalong.net/review/seed/sh59/sh59_i.htm

I hate the way the gold plastic looks, and it's a bitch to make decals look good, so I'm planning to make this my first painting job. Looking for some tips.

What I've got in terms of paints is spray cans of:

Tamiya Gold (21 I think?)
Tamiya Matte Black (I kinda like matte)
Tamiya Grey Primer
Tamiya White Primer

Along with:

Testors Dullcoat (last resort)
Mr. Color Semi-Gloss Top Coat
Mr. Super Clear Flat
50 Alligator clips on sticks to hold pieces
Big mother fuckin' styrofoam circle base to jam the clips into
Paint brushes and a bunch of Tamiya color paints, including a red to use on the red spots
Gundam Markers (just because)
A little bottle of Tamiya Surface Primer
Tamiya Extra Thin Cement
Tamiya Masking Tape
Nippers, knives, sanding sticks
Deck outside to spray poo poo on
Maybe other things I forgot to mention

Ok, friends, tell me how not to gently caress up and somehow burn my house down, while making my kit look at least passable. My plan was to clip out all the black and gold pieces, sand the numbs off at the least, put them all on alligator clips (not together, just like, all gold, and then all black), prime them up, paint the gold ones up, mask the parts on the black ones I want to be red, paint the black ones up, remove the masking tape, hand paint the red spots, build that fucker, top coat the gently caress out of it, possibly die from horrible toxic fumes.

How many mistakes have I just made?

My brain is melting slightly from a taxing shift, but you look pretty good here. The only things I'd mention is that where possible, don't paint individual parts if it's possible to assemble them into sub-assemblies first. Normally you do this so you can glue parts together and hide seam lines, but it has a secondary purpose which is that it give you less parts to have to paint. Why paint 4 small pieces when you can put them together and have one piece instead? It also means you get a consistent paint gradient over those pieces. IF you did them all separately, you might find small variations in hues that cause the final assembly to look a bit hodge-podge. Paint as large an area in one go as you can for consistency. I don't think you'll have too much of a problem with that, though, since you're using rattle-cans and it doesn't sound like you want to do any complex shading.

If you do decide to paint each part separately, remember to keep the paint and varnish away from the little pegs and sockets that allow the kit to snap together. You'll end up with connections that are too tight and the plastic could fracture from the stress, or you might not be able to snap something together totally flush.

Also bear in mind that if you're using top coats / varnish, then the type of paint you bought is less important. To explain more: you have bought a matt black paint, but if you spray over the top of it with a gloss coat, it will look gloss. Conversely, if you spray over the top of gloss with a matt varnish, it will look matt. It's all about physics and how light bounces off the surface!

Finally, the only thing I think you're missing from that list is some form of lung and soft tissue protection. You mentioned working outside but I still recommend a mask. Also you'll want some gloves for when you're handling and painting you parts. The gloves will protect your hand from paint, but more importantly the gloves protect the parts from you! Humans are oily, grimy creatures that like to secrete strange substances onto things they touch. It can gently caress up your paint job by leaving fingerprints, etc.

Go forth and make robot happen! Remember, each kit is a learning opportunity and you shouldn't stress out too much over making it look good if it stops you having fun. You're supposed to enjoy your hobbies, even if they are fiddly and occasionally frustrating.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Thanks a lot! I actually always forget to ask this, though: How long should I spray the pieces (I assume just a couple of passes back and forth over them, until they look covered), and how long to let each coat/type of coat dry? Primer, Paint, Top Coat, I'm not sure on the drying times/spraying times for each of those.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

Thanks a lot! I actually always forget to ask this, though: How long should I spray the pieces (I assume just a couple of passes back and forth over them, until they look covered), and how long to let each coat/type of coat dry? Primer, Paint, Top Coat, I'm not sure on the drying times/spraying times for each of those.

I'd recommend looking at some videos about rattle-can control and the best ways to spray. Starting tips are that you should always start your spray off the model before you then pass over it at a brisk, steady rate, releasing the spray once you're off the piece again. You start and stop off the piece you're working on to avoid splatter. You should work in a continuous direction as well. With small kit pieces, you'll need to be able to manipulate the piece to make sure you can turn it to any angle and ensure you get full coverage. You mentioned you already had clips, so you'll probably do what I did and attach them to cocktail sticks. You hold the piece by the stick, spray, pass, release and then rotate the piece, spray, pass, release. You'll get the hang of it.

Be forewarned that you'll feel like you're wasting paint this way, and you kind of are, but this is how you get a good, even coat. You may find you need to buy more cans.

As for drying times, that depends on the type of paint and the weather. Hugh humidity means each coat will take longer to dry. Acrylics dry quicker than enamels.

Some paints and varnishes allow you to spray, wait about 30 minutes for it to be semi-dry and then apply a second coat. I can't imagine you'll need more than two passes with a rattle-can since they have a pretty powerful spray and most of the time you'll be worried about over-spray, not under-spray. Just make sure you spray the piece from multiple angles to get good coverage. Once you've finished a coat, leave it to dry at least overnight. This hobby rewards patience and you should give things plenty of time to cure, especially varnishes. If you're too hasty, you could ruin your hard work.

For your reference, I work mainly with enamels. They will become pretty much touch-dry after 30 minutes (on a non-humid day) but take at least 6 hours to fully dry / cure. Acrylics dry fully a lot faster which is why a lot of people like working with them. I'd still recommend doing no more than a coat a day. Varnishes in particular need to be allowed plenty of time to harden. For finishes that you want to polish, you may want to allow several days. I've read about a chap who reported that the perfect gloss coat on his model cars could only be achieved by allowing the varnished vehicle to sit in a dark cupboard for at least three months before polishing!

EDIT: And I almost forgot! Pay attention to the distance you're spraying from! This was my undoing with this kit (you may remember I had to redo my flat colours because I was spraying from too far away). With spray-cans the danger is usually spraying too close. Pay attention to the instructions on the can.

runwiled fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 28, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

So the stuff gundamguy is showing of the C3 show will end up on ebay or somewhere for sale soonly right?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What grade would be good to start in short of working with painting, stickers, or using a marker?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blackchamber posted:

So the stuff gundamguy is showing of the C3 show will end up on ebay or somewhere for sale soonly right?

Undoubtedly, for probably about 4 times it's actual value.

Tenzarin posted:

What grade would be good to start in short of working with painting, stickers, or using a marker?

If you want to avoid all of that, then go Master Grade. You can generally get great results with only basic effort.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Koopa Kid posted:

I have two of those models (Gundam 3.0 and RG Aile). If that's wrong, I don't wanna be right.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Koopa Kid posted:

One of us, one of us, one of us... :v:

Seriously though, those are some pretty good kits you got. You should have fun building all of those.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I'm really looking forward to getting them all together, think I might start on the Aile Strike just as an unpainted, out-of-box thing so that I have something to pose and make pew noises around while I paint up the less detailed stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Koopa Kid posted:

You have indeed. You forgot to get the RG Skygrasper for the other two Strike Packs :v:.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have indeed. You forgot to get the RG Skygrasper for the other two Strike Packs :v:.

I can't get over the fact that it pretty much costs the same amount as another RG. Plus Launcher Strike is ugly I said it :colbert:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
When I get a little time or desire I do some more work on my Gundam X Divider.

Its been panel inked/weathered from an ancient rear end Gundam Marker panel marker pen that is more or less a tiny nub.

I just need to paint the parts that need painting like those stupid triangle bits whose stickers basically slide off at the slightest touch and the sword grips.

I was thinking about removing one of the lower X parts and plugging in my old 144 X's satellite cannon but its old and uggo. I might use the original X as a practice clearcoat run though. Dust/wash it off, maybe touch up some bits, spray it, see how it goes. (Also the gun would look kind of awkward and doesn't have enough mobility to come out under the crotch for a wang gun like Sex Machine from From Dusk Till Dawn. So not worth the effort.)

The old kit is very nice for its time even when compared to the Divider. But my skills limited as they are have improved since then.

Course a kit I built in an hour or two and a few years later sharpie paneled is gonna look a lot worse than a kit I put together in like five or so and spent another 90 minutes paneling/weathering.

Even with some sanding those sprue gates are still there and offend me. They just won't come totally clean. :failure:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

What are recommended panel lining colors when doing lighter brown kits like Domtroopen or Gogg

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Dark brown, generally, but grey should be fine too.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Koopa Kid posted:

I just finished putting together Miss Sazabi last week and I think it's a really fun kit to assemble. It's huge for a HG. I want to buy another one so I can paint it Gunbuster colors.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Going by reviews Hi-Nu vKa is a really neat mix between the original Hi-Nu and the Unicorn's thruster layout.

Also beam tonfas.

Also the wrist can actually support the gun now, though only time will tell if they can support the HWS. Spoilers: they probably can't.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BlitzBlast posted:

Also the wrist can actually support the gun now, though only time will tell if they can support the HWS. Spoilers: they probably can't.

Pictures seem to indicate some sort of clip:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Going by reviews Hi-Nu vKa is a really neat mix between the original Hi-Nu and the Unicorn's thruster layout.

Also beam tonfas.

Oh dammit, I don't need another reason to want this thing, yet they keep on coming. :shepspends:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly if it weren't for the fact that I am burned the gently caress out on building kits with funnels I might be interested in this. But ahahahahahaha no.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I am going to try my first decent paintjob on my old MG Hi Nu soonish, it's hipjoint snapped in half though; so I'll need to fix that first. It can't even stand atm. :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly if it weren't for the fact that I am burned the gently caress out on building kits with funnels I might be interested in this. But ahahahahahaha no.

I'm currently building the nu verision Ka right now and I still want to pick this up ASAP, even though I have a backlog of like 7 kits.

Although good christ is painting 6 funnels tedious as hell.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Im sorry this is my first ti.e even reading this subforum, but are you telling me that all this time I have spent painting 40K poo poo in secret I COULD have been painting Gundams and Zoids and poo poo? Get the gently caress out. I quit.

Edit: holy poo poo the USN BDU pattern on that zaku from page two :f5:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So uh if you ever wanted a Soulgain Amazon has a completely loving ridiculous sale going on.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

BlitzBlast posted:

So uh if you ever wanted a Soulgain Amazon has a completely loving ridiculous sale going on.

God drat. I wish I could find an Alteisen for that price.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Presented without comment:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Dammit Japan.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン