Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Even though there's been a focus on how a lot of these idiots harassing people like Anita and Zoe are in their teens, you just know there's a hell of a lot of men in their 20s and 30s that are doing it too. I mean, I can at least almost understand why some teen would do it; we all had lovely opinions at that age and hopefully either grew out of it or had someone explain to us at the time what we were doing was wrong. I know I would've regretted it now if I had twitter/facebook as a kid. Guys doing this poo poo in their 20s/30s though are what's really loving scary because they've had the time to see the broader picture and just went "Nope, I'm gonna send threats of violence/rape/death to people who have a different view on video games than me and that's totally an OK thing to do".

poo poo's hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lugaloco posted:

Even though there's been a focus on how a lot of these idiots harassing people like Anita and Zoe are in their teens, you just know there's a hell of a lot of men in their 20s and 30s that are doing it too. I mean, I can at least almost understand why some teen would do it; we all had lovely opinions at that age and hopefully either grew out of it or had someone explain to us at the time what we were doing was wrong. I know I would've regretted it now if I had twitter/facebook as a kid. Guys doing this poo poo in their 20s/30s though are what's really loving scary because they've had the time to see the broader picture and just went "Nope, I'm gonna send threats of violence/rape/death to people who have a different view on video games than me and that's totally an OK thing to do".

poo poo's hosed.

News at 12: The majority of people are awful and should probably be put in the Great House Videogames so Phil Fish can burn it down.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 28, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's the deal with Jeff Gerstmann lately? The last couple of Bombcasts have been him shouting over everyone calling the games they're playing bullshit and just generally being as obnoxious as possible.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

al-azad posted:

What's the deal with Jeff Gerstmann lately? The last couple of Bombcasts have been him shouting over everyone calling the games they're playing bullshit and just generally being as obnoxious as possible.

That's...kind of his thing? It's hilarious considering the only games he plays are apparently games he absolutely hates, but it's sort of his gimmick nowadays.

I could totally never hear anyone talk about WWE or wrestling in general and be happy for the rest of my days. I was into it as a kid, but I can't find anything less interesting nowadays, and the fact that it seems to have crept up into every single bombcast lately is annoying.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Why are people angry that a woman wears earrings
Because if you're a feminist you're supposed to be ugly and have saggy breasts and be hairy and poo poo, because, you know, you hate all men and poo poo so why do you care what they think of how you look, and obviously all women do themselves up solely to attract the attention of men so whores whores whores.

I can only imagine these guys have superlative masturbatory technique.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 28, 2014

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Xtanstic posted:

I clicked out of morbid curiosity. I regret it.

Wow, same here. What the gently caress; what the fuuuuuuuck.

Lugaloco posted:

Even though there's been a focus on how a lot of these idiots harassing people like Anita and Zoe are in their teens, you just know there's a hell of a lot of men in their 20s and 30s that are doing it too.

Yeah, what the gently caress. As the above videos demonstrate.

gently caress! I've been too wrapped up in my own poo poo to follow this stuff much, so the current Idle Thumbs brought me up to speed, and it's all awful. They had a good discussion of it. If I knew anyone who looked like they were going to be on the wrong side of history with this stuff, I'd send this podcast to them (before shutting down contact with them).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EC posted:

That's...kind of his thing? It's hilarious considering the only games he plays are apparently games he absolutely hates, but it's sort of his gimmick nowadays.

I could totally never hear anyone talk about WWE or wrestling in general and be happy for the rest of my days. I was into it as a kid, but I can't find anything less interesting nowadays, and the fact that it seems to have crept up into every single bombcast lately is annoying.

I've only been listening since the beginning of the year so I guess I just haven't noticed it. I recall a couple month stretch around E3 and the months following where he was busy or not on the podcast or maybe he was just unusually quiet but it gets annoying when he interrupts everyone else actually having a discussion with "Nope bullshit nope nope I fell asleep watching wrestling."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You only started listening to current episodes? You should listen to the back catalogue. Especially when Ryan was hosting. Those were the golden days of murder slingshots and throwing things in the creek.

mortisXL
Jan 23, 2004
$297? More like $287!! LOL!

weird bleep posted:

Some of them show their delightful faces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJjFoe6_gx4

Edit: Oh, how could I forget these cool guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROHvvtUcp8I

That first guy proves Anita's thesis in under three minutes. He complains that Dragon Age is a "gritty, real-life" type of game and not "cutesy-wutesy bullshit that Anita likes." And one of her points is that violence against defenseless (sexualized) women is used as lazy shorthand to make a game seem gritty and edgy.

So that's cool.

Also, if these angry guys truly are pissed about video games being ruined, they should get mad at F2P mobile games because those types of games actually are encroaching and undermining their precious traditional video game market. The thing they fear has already happened.

mortisXL fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 28, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

I love the part about being censored. Who will dare to speak on behalf of the straight white male? I mean all we have is twitter, tumblr, facebook, youtube, and twitch to broadcast our stupid loving opinions. It's basically the Soviet Union all over again.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hey, quick Idle Thumbs question: I was tracking which episode I was on via my podcasting app, and I was way behind. Then my app decided to lose all my history. I think I was roughly at right before the Thumbs announced they were making a game? Anyone have any clue where I was?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 29, 2014

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I'm disappointed they didn't use Patrick Klepek's amazing high school picture he tweeted a few days ago.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

It always cracks me up when people confuse censorship with criticism of an expressed opinion. If you can't tell the difference then frankly you're ill-prepared to defend your position at all.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Lugaloco posted:

It always cracks me up when people confuse censorship with criticism of an expressed opinion. If you can't tell the difference then frankly you're ill-prepared to defend your position at all.

It's the modern day equivalent of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ukak8P2vY

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
It's always the best whenever they evoke the first amendment.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Have any games podcasts brought up this "SWATting" thing recently, or even in an episode from a while back? I saw a guy playing CS over twitch, get thrown on the floor, stepped on and shouted at (for doing nothing but laying down with his hands behind his head) and then handcuffed by several armed and armored police, because some idiot called in a threat to 911 that they had killed two people and now were holding a hostage etc etc, and gave this twitch player's address as the location. What the gently caress, someone's gonna get killed from that.

Good reason to not brag about how much dope you smoke while playing I guess though, another story I found afterward was about another twitch player being SWATted and they found his weed when they kicked in the door so he went to jail for a bogus tip from some anonymous coward.

TetsuoTW posted:

Because if you're a feminist you're supposed to be ugly and have saggy breasts and be hairy and
Ironically, I'm a feminist gamer and totally fit this description pretty well.. But I'm male. :wom:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Veib posted:

I'm disappointed they didn't use Patrick Klepek's amazing high school picture he tweeted a few days ago.

It's okay. The high quality photo they used of Jim Sterling more than makes up for it.

mortisXL
Jan 23, 2004
$297? More like $287!! LOL!
So I couldn't stop watching that YouTube guy "ripping apart" Sarkeesian's video and I got to this part and I started transcribing it because it was so gross to listen to. Originally it was going to be a small section but I couldn't stop because it just keeps going.

http://youtu.be/HJjFoe6_gx4?t=34m45s

A Sociopath posted:

These are gritty games. They're violent games. They're not the cutesy-wutesy games that you like to play. As per your video, I believe you said you think games are gross because you don't want to shoot people, blow their heads off, you find that disgusting. Well that's fine that's your prerogative but don't sit there and try to look down on my form of entertainment. You know I personally think all the non-violent games for the most part suck. The entire time I'm playing The Sims, the times I've played it, I'm wishing for a gun to go kill the other sims. That is what I want in the game. I want to be able to kill other sims. I want my sim to be able to go over and murder other sims. So I don't really loving know what you want in a video game, Anita, if you even play them but me I want to be able to shoot people. And once again you know - most of the people - you know - whatever, god, Jesus Christ. Once again, would you at least learn about an art form and a thing before you critique it.

mortisXL fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 28, 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

MrMortisland posted:

So I couldn't stop watching that YouTube guy "ripping apart" Sarkeesian's video and I got to this part and I started transcribing it because it was so gross to listen to. Originally it was going to be a small section but I couldn't stop because it just keeps going.

Legit scary. I hate sharing a hobby with this guy. I'm actually taking a twitter fast because between this and Ferguson, I'm getting bummed out literally every time I look at my phone.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I love that Jeff Gerstmann of all people apparently qualifies as a "Social Justice Warrior". As if we needed any more proof that the people who use that term are incapable of rational thought.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

If I had to guess, the GB staff got put on there because of what happened when Dan was hired on a couple months back. Everyone was waiting to hear who would be joining, and some people were hoping it would be a woman, just to round out the cast a bit. When it was revealed to be Dan, some people were upset and vocalized that. Other people, who I will term 'assholes' decided that expressing that opinion was Not To Be Tolerated and started harassing those people on the GB forums and elsewhere. Jeff and Co were pretty quick to say 'hey, that's no okay. These people have the right to express their opinions and if you treat people like we're seeing you treat people, we don't want your business.'

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lork posted:

I love that Jeff Gerstmann of all people apparently qualifies as a "Social Justice Warrior". As if we needed any more proof that the people who use that term are incapable of rational thought.

They did get one thing right about giant bomb: Dan Rykert, total sociopath

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wow, that's grown a bunch in the past couple of weeks. Also it's missing Carolyn Pettit (or however you spell her name) and Henry Gilbert, both of whom were on the old list. I dig that Sessler is on there now, primarily for the crime of being at a bar with Personae Non Grata.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a list of "anyone who's anyone" in gaming media, essentially, which is great.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I can't believe Danielle didn't make it onto that image. I would be offended if I were her.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Beard Yawn posted:

I can't believe Danielle didn't make it onto that image. I would be offended if I were her.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing or making an edit and include the Thumbs crew (but with their portraits that were sent to them).

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Phone posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing or making an edit and include the Thumbs crew (but with their portraits that were sent to them).

When the first image was tweeted out Chris responded to it asking how to get Idle Thumbs and Campo Santo added to the list.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Your way works too posted:

When the first image was tweeted out Chris responded to it asking how to get Idle Thumbs and Campo Santo added to the list.
You know, I can't figure out why Idle Thumbs isn't on there yet, I mean, there's a :argh:woman:argh: on there, and she's not even straight! And poo poo, sin of sins Steve "That Guy That Made Gone Home" Gaynor was a regular for like an entire season! I can only assume it's because Thumbs is audio and not-easily-screenshottable-for-outrage-purposes text. If you want to pass around a quote from Thumbs that doesn't meet the criteria for Correctness, you have to actually listen and transcribe and poo poo and that's, like, work.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 29, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

VDay posted:

I love the part about being censored. Who will dare to speak on behalf of the straight white male? I mean all we have is twitter, tumblr, facebook, youtube, and twitch to broadcast our stupid loving opinions. It's basically the Soviet Union all over again.

lmbo

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

To quote a wise man, "hosed up if true".

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

MrMortisland posted:

All True Male Gamers have the wispy doll hair of Hulk Hogan and shelves packed with anime box sets.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was going to post something to the effect that, sometimes it seems like there's a legitimate query as to whether there's sort of a hipster indie game contingent that makes, critiques, and praises each others' games in a bit of an incestuous collective, and it seems sometimes that they're all pals and know each other, and maybe heap praise on each other on just a bit more than they deserve, and maybe that has some effects that make me a little concerned and annoyed...

but at least some good games, podcasts, music, and other stuff is coming out of it, even if this is true. They're producing stuff. Fun stuff, interesting stuff.

It seems like these other guys are just crazy assholes who do nothing but wave dollars and fists in the air, produce nothing but YouTube videos and dumb images like the above, and it's (to default to Idle Thumbs speak) just super gross.

I once felt annoyed that Anita Sarkeesian didn't allow comments on her videos, because I thought that it would be useful and, I dunno, somehow brave to invite debate, but I think these guys just want to point a firehose of endless debate points at anything challenging until it goes away. There's just no communication coming through anyway.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 29, 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

That's the thing. Part of their point of contention is that they say they're not allowed to actually engage with Anita's critique but time has shown that almost no one does that. Fuckos have ruined that.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

MrMortisland posted:

I honestly feel like from that excerpt alone he doesn't even understand the basic premise of Anita's video series of Tropes vs. Women at all if he thinks she is literally calling for the end of Call of Duty and all AAA games that feature violence.

Beard Yawn posted:

Ironically she is on vacation but still tweeting about all the poo poo that is going on. I can only assume she isn't actually engaging with anyone and only posting her thoughts about it because gently caress, that would ruin her vacation even more. But I am surprised Chris Remo isn't on the list because the other day I caught him trying to engage with these people on twitter and it hurt my brain to read.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sober posted:

I honestly feel like from that excerpt alone he doesn't even understand the basic premise of Anita's video series of Tropes vs. Women at all if he thinks she is literally calling for the end of Call of Duty and all AAA games that feature violence.

I didn't watch much of this guy, but I'm thinking along your lines, maybe a bit further, because he seems mentally ill to me. Or playing it up for the camera? It may not be entirely fair to paint him as a typical Anita hater (though it is perhaps a bit fun).

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I was going to post something to the effect that, sometimes it seems like there's a legitimate query as to whether there's sort of a hipster indie game contingent that makes, critiques, and praises each others' games in a bit of an incestuous collective, and it seems sometimes that they're all pals and know each other, and maybe heap praise on each other on just a bit more than they deserve, and maybe that has some effects that make me a little concerned and annoyed...
Yeah but on the other hand who gives a poo poo? There are cliquey circlejerks in just about every walk of life. Most of the time we just see them and go "wankers" and move on.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I want to believe that correlation is not causation but boy was this a good episode of Idle Thumbs after what I felt was a decline in quality and boy was Danielle Riendeau not on it.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 29, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I agree with danielle that the internet has got really depressing in the last few months. Is it just that we are noticing this stuff more or has it actually got worse?

The fact that that woman actually had to leave her house over a few innocuous videos on gaming is mind numbing. Also that image is ridiculous. Has the definition of an "sjw" now increased to include anyone with half a brain?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Jippa posted:

Is it just that we are noticing this stuff more or has it actually got worse?

Before this past week or so I might have said "we're just more aware", but no, these are legitimate new lows. Adam "loving" Baldwin is involved now, and for that we're all lessened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Jippa posted:

I agree with danielle that the internet has got really depressing in the last few months. Is it just that we are noticing this stuff more or has it actually got worse?

Sometimes poo poo hits the fan in multiple ways and it amplifies everything as a result. I remember feeling similar back in 2011 when a lot of crap went down and wondering what the gently caress was happening to the world. That year you had the Arab Spring, the Japan earthquake and Fukushima, The Occupy movement, Gaddafi killed, Bin Laden killed and there were also some serious riots over here in the UK just to name a few.

Sometimes events happen in multiple places in a small timeframe and, as Sean (I think) said on the podcast, we've not really evolved to cope with all that poo poo.

• Locked thread