Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Furism posted:

As with everything else, it could be an option you could turn on and off.

true dat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
How do Ciphers interact with ranged weapons? Any good? Someone mentioned using a pistol and a shield (riot cop style) earlier in the thread and that sounds rad. Any idea if that'll be worthwhile?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ciphers are pretty good with ranged weapons. The pistol + shield thing is actually a bug. All guns are supposed to be two-handed.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

rope kid posted:

Ciphers are pretty good with ranged weapons. The pistol + shield thing is actually a bug. All guns are supposed to be two-handed.

Aw! However, good to hear. I'm pretty torn between Rogue and Cipher - realistically I think I like Rogue's playstyle and abilities more, but Cipher has cooler fluff. Hmm!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Please bring back guns with shields, but give them double reloading speed or something.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Lone Badger posted:

This should have a (short) range. So you can throw the book at people.

They should also be able to use Mimic Daravon.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
After my very brief time in the beta my plan is an arbalest + pike cipher. Nuke someone for gigantic damage then use their ability that causes them to experience the damage again. In combination with Soul Whip's 1.2x modifier I hope it will turn any enemy into mincemeat.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

rope kid posted:

The pistol + shield thing is actually a bug. All guns are supposed to be two-handed.

Aww

RIP Psychic Riot Cop

2014-2014

Dust in the wind

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

why u do this

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Scorchy posted:

Aww

RIP Psychic Riot Cop

2014-2014

Dust in the wind

I liked the idea of a gun and shield. It looks pretty badass. Wish they could keep that and just maybe slow down shots with a shield by 1/3 or something for "reload time".
:sigh:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

rope kid posted:

That's legit disappointing

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

rope kid posted:

The animation only uses one hand though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

cock hero flux posted:

Rope kid means balance- and design-wise, not animation.

I just wish it could be different.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

cock hero flux posted:

I'm guessing there's supposed to be a reload animation using the 2nd hand that doesn't get used because the shield breaks it.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm guessing there's supposed to be a reload animation using the 2nd hand that doesn't get used because the shield breaks it.

You'd think. Reloading a flintlock one-handed would be challenging.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

DatonKallandor posted:

Is that resulting in rapid fire pistols?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Airfoil posted:

You'd think. Reloading a flintlock one-handed would be challenging.

Solution: a second flintlock. And when that one has been used, a third.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Drifter posted:

Rope kid means balance- and design-wise, not animation.

I just wish it could be different.
Wouldn't it be possible to just increase the reload time when using a shield to some point where the tradeoff between the defensive advantages of a shield and offensive advantages of the gun are balanced. Would be a shame to lose a cool looking concept like that.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
It would be really cool to have a brace of pistols to fire really fast and then switch to a axe or something.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Krowley posted:

Solution: a second flintlock. And when that one has been used, a third.

Go full Blackbeard

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Pwnstar posted:

Go full Blackbeard

If I can stick burning fuses in my beard, I'm upping my pledge.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Airfoil posted:

If I can stick burning fuses in my beard, I'm upping my pledge.

On your facebeard AND your groinbeard.

yarrr

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I should really finally beat Baldur's Gate 2 before I play this. It's already one of my favorite games of all time and I'm still in Trademeet.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Pistol/shield rules and should stay in imo. Dual weilding pistols should also be in, just triple the reload times so as to make sure you can only do it once in combat.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

Matt Barton interviews Fergus Urquhart, part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBkvRaqcIKw

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Pistol/shield rules and should stay in imo. Dual weilding pistols should also be in, just triple the reload times so as to make sure you can only do it once in combat.

Make one of them auto drop (or delete and respawn) and force you to pick it back up after combat if you use both at once.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

epmode posted:

Matt Barton interviews Fergus Urquhart, part 1:

My god, an Obsidian-made Deadlands game has been my dream for a long time. Glad to see it's an idea on Fergus's radar, but like him, I too worry that there's not enough interest to make it worth their while.

applesaucers
Jun 13, 2012

loyalty, faith, and motivation; a conviction that will lead to victory no matter the odds
Speaking of theoretical Obsidian games:

nonadventurer posted:

If you were to make an Ars Magica CRPG, how would you approach it? Have you ever given it any thought? Would it be similar to PoE in presentation & general style, or would you need to invent something else (something entirely new) for it?

Josh Sawyer posted:

No, I would do something much, much different for that style of game. The Ars Magica/Darklands style game I’d like to make (despite being TTRPG and CRPG, they share a lot of similar elements) would be much more abstract in terms of how exploration and travel work. Darklands covered the entire expanse of “Greater Germany” (the Holy Roman Empire, more or less) which is a huge amount of territory. To make that work, the focus of exploration was very much on the overland map and the use of those beautiful watercolor-style illustrations and text to describe even huge cities like Nürnberg. Being able to travel from Danzig to Basel and every city in-between was really cool and very different from most CRPGs (including PoE) that focus on a relatively small area and a small number of communities.

The other big element of Ars Magica and Darklands that I really love are the “offscreen” time-related elements. Darklands has a Traveller-style lifepath system, seasons that change in the world, and character aging (including death) in-game. Ars Magica uses downtime very heavily to advance research projects and change characters over long periods of time. As an example, in the AM game I currently play in, I played a companion who died of old age decades ago. His 22 year-old daughter is almost ready for me to start playing as a new companion. Meanwhile our wizards are all in their mid-50s and still look like they are in their early 30s. The focus on downtime and the relatively rapid passage of time is very cool.

Finally, outside of the magic mechanics, which are set up to be pretty “gamey”, the core systems of Ars Magica and Darklands are both pretty simulationist. They’re both classless systems without alignment or levels that put a heavy focus on skill (and art, in Ars Magica) progression. I think if you turn the dial to 11 on a simulationist game, it can be very cool — even if magic is also involved.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

rope kid posted:

Pirate style pistol shot first followed by rapier attacks second is the best thing ever.

FIGHT TO KEEP IT!

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68063-keep-pirate-style-pistol-plz/

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 29, 2014

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
Was flintlock pistol and shield ever used historically? Apart from a single shot before drawing a sword, I would doubt it.

On the other hand, I know some crossbowmen had big pavise shields...

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

applesaucers posted:

Speaking of theoretical Obsidian games:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

If Obsidian made an Ars Magica game I could die knowing all is right with the world.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Diomedes posted:

Was flintlock pistol and shield ever used historically? Apart from a single shot before drawing a sword, I would doubt it.

Pistol and sword combo should stay in, just have the pistol shot first, then engage in melee after

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Diomedes posted:

Probably not. Maaaaaaybe with a buckler.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Diomedes posted:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

You should be able to dual wield these babies.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Diomedes posted:

Crossbowmen didn't hold a shield and fire and reload their weapon with one hand. The Pavise was used as mobile cover. It would be propped up or held up by an aid and after firing their weapon crossbowmen crouch behind the pavise.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
At least post a good picture of the shield guns:

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Sensuki posted:

Pirate style pistol shot first followed by rapier attacks second is the best thing ever.

FIGHT TO KEEP IT!

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68063-keep-pirate-style-pistol-plz/

Yessss

The "can't reload" penalty idea is pretty slick, I think. Should be able to dual wield pistols, though (with that same penalty), so then you can have a character who cycles through multiple pairs of pistols in combat until he ends up with the sword+pistol set up. Yar.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Diomedes posted:

:unsmigghh:

e: look at this guy, his shield has a window :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Does anyone else avoid the Pillars of Eternity forum like the plague? Every time I go on them to see if there any interesting developer discussion all I find is overly verbose lengthy posts about the smallest nitpicky issues, written in the most passive aggressive way. Take this example "Sensuki's Suggestions #012: Non-Terrible Main HUD [Mockup]", great not only has this guy made 12 threads spouting his opinions, but its just titled in such an arsehole way. There is something about Kickstarter that turns people into such pricks, I feel so sorry for the Obsidian guy having to read and moderate all this, also the developers who have to have their work poo poo on by some armchair designer.

• Locked thread