Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Steve Yun posted:

Was the chip too big to grind off?

No, it's easily fixable, but gently caress it, he'll think it's a proper gift for his birthday, I may even fix it before I give it to him.

It's just like I said, I don't use gyutos over CCK now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm still disgusted that my expensive rear end japanese carbon steel whatever knife loving chipped when I chopped a tortilla chip in midair.

I mean come on.

heavily leaning towards the german side of things. I'll probably buy one more high carbon knife, but between my MAC's and Wüsthofs I don't know. cost/reward doesn't seem to be there for getting more spergy than that. someone tell me if I'm wrong and I need to buy the One True Knife. (but I thought I had, and then it chipped on a goddamn torilla chip. :mad: )

edit : to be fair, who tries to split a tortilla chip in twine in midair with an expensive knife? :barf:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What rockwell hardness was the tortilla chip

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mindphlux posted:

I'm still disgusted that my expensive rear end japanese carbon steel whatever knife loving chipped when I chopped a tortilla chip in midair.

I mean come on.

heavily leaning towards the german side of things. I'll probably buy one more high carbon knife, but between my MAC's and Wüsthofs I don't know. cost/reward doesn't seem to be there for getting more spergy than that. someone tell me if I'm wrong and I need to buy the One True Knife. (but I thought I had, and then it chipped on a goddamn torilla chip. :mad: )

edit : to be fair, who tries to split a tortilla chip in twine in midair with an expensive knife? :barf:

I think you're wrong and you should buy the One True Knife. Does this help?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

I mean come on.

That's called a manufacturing defect, should have had it replaced if it came from a decent seller.

Get a custom Moritaka, I think that's what I'm going to do for myself this Christmas.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

mindphlux posted:

The whole point of an elite kitchen knife is that you do all your cutting in midair. You justify the expense of the knife by saving on cutting boards.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

americong posted:

Being incredibly boring as I am, I just wasn't sold enough on the Eastern knives available and went with a Victorinox 8 incher and a Victorinox paring.

Now, to see whether I can keep nice knives nice!

Aside from someone going with the CCK cleaver (also a good idea, but higher maintenance) this really has been an incredible investment, and for a beginner I can't recommend anything else (except maybe the Tojiro? If you really want to spend a couple extra bucks to feel better about your life).

I went with a buddy to handle some high-end knives at a Williams-Sonoma and did the bullshitting routine for like an hour, he was the front man and I was just kind of sliding in to get a quick impression. I handled Globals and Shuns and some high-end Wusthof. At the end of the day, I'm sticking to the 'Nox.

What do I cook to justify a better knife? I know the Shun would absolutely blow away my 'Nox in terms of edge retention and such. But right now I live with a veggie roommate, so virtually all my knife work is potatoes and onions. And while it would be so lovely to slide through those veggies like butter with a high end knife, honestly I don't need it. And while I'm still living with a roommate who refuses to learn to hone a knife after a year and still randomly leaves it dirty, the 'Nox will take any abuse that's thrown at it. I mean what's the worst that could happen? It's $25 for a new one.

If I want something fancy, I check my hone, maybe run her through the Sharpmaker if it's been a while, and I've never had a job I couldn't do to the level of satisfaction of two professionals in a bro apartment. The nice little trick to the 'Nox paring is that it's easy to get shaving-sharp as it's virtually two-dimensional to begin with, so I'm never really lacking if I want to do some precision work. But I can also twist the eyes off a 'tater like I'm using a prison shiv because this cheap bastard keeps on giving.

My only reservations include that the 'Nox does feel a little fat for me. This is probably due to a combination of only-okay edge retention and my eventual preference for something really delicate and Japanese. Also, I'm one of those people who handles a Global and it absolutely melts into my hand. The moment I tried some cuts with a global I actually let out a wistful sigh. If I ever cheat on my 'Nox it's going to be with some cute little Asian.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Just for reference, when I first got the Togiharu, I cut a leek apart by looking at it mean while holding the knife in my hand. poo poo's real.

americong
May 29, 2013

revdrkevind posted:

Aside from someone going with the CCK cleaver (also a good idea, but higher maintenance) this really has been an incredible investment, and for a beginner I can't recommend anything else (except maybe the Tojiro? If you really want to spend a couple extra bucks to feel better about your life).

I went with a buddy to handle some high-end knives at a Williams-Sonoma and did the bullshitting routine for like an hour, he was the front man and I was just kind of sliding in to get a quick impression. I handled Globals and Shuns and some high-end Wusthof. At the end of the day, I'm sticking to the 'Nox.

What do I cook to justify a better knife? I know the Shun would absolutely blow away my 'Nox in terms of edge retention and such. But right now I live with a veggie roommate, so virtually all my knife work is potatoes and onions. And while it would be so lovely to slide through those veggies like butter with a high end knife, honestly I don't need it. And while I'm still living with a roommate who refuses to learn to hone a knife after a year and still randomly leaves it dirty, the 'Nox will take any abuse that's thrown at it. I mean what's the worst that could happen? It's $25 for a new one.

If I want something fancy, I check my hone, maybe run her through the Sharpmaker if it's been a while, and I've never had a job I couldn't do to the level of satisfaction of two professionals in a bro apartment. The nice little trick to the 'Nox paring is that it's easy to get shaving-sharp as it's virtually two-dimensional to begin with, so I'm never really lacking if I want to do some precision work. But I can also twist the eyes off a 'tater like I'm using a prison shiv because this cheap bastard keeps on giving.

My only reservations include that the 'Nox does feel a little fat for me. This is probably due to a combination of only-okay edge retention and my eventual preference for something really delicate and Japanese. Also, I'm one of those people who handles a Global and it absolutely melts into my hand. The moment I tried some cuts with a global I actually let out a wistful sigh. If I ever cheat on my 'Nox it's going to be with some cute little Asian.

I should get something to hone it with, but based on what you're saying it seems like my victorinox care regimen (clean and dry it after cutting and stick it in the clamshell blade guard) will be plety, so I'm glad

actually, anyone have opinions on those clamshells?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

They do their job. Not much more to say about them really. If it's a carbon knife I might be more inclined to use a saya or something else absorbent to help with any moisture but it's probably a non-issue.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

americong posted:

I should get something to hone it with, but based on what you're saying it seems like my victorinox care regimen (clean and dry it after cutting and stick it in the clamshell blade guard) will be plety, so I'm glad

actually, anyone have opinions on those clamshells?

This is correct. The 'Nox will withstand a lot of abuse as it is quality stainless. The handle doesn't even need consideration. As long as you rinse and towel it after each use you're fine. From my experience the 'Nox could use a honing almost daily (or more for precision jobs). With experience you will feel it when that fat spine hits some lag going through items. Hell just knock the knife against another stainless if you have to, she'll be fine.

Clamshells are okay, from experience. But most have cheap rubber grips that WILL stain the blade, use a cheap sticker to fix that. But if your living arrangements prevent getting a wooden mag bar, go straight for a knife roll. You should immediately pair the 'Nox Chef with the Paring, and they need to travel together. I used to wrap my paring against the clamshell with a towel. Do yourself a favor, get your buddies a nice home. Slap in a Goodwill serrated knife, maybe a specialty knife if you deal with specific proteins frequently, and you've got a professional-quality set to last you for years. All for less than the cost of one next-step-up chef's knife.

Between these posts I grabbed a 'Nox santoku, and my preference for cute little Asians grows. I just push-cut a whole stewpot worth of cabbage and celery and carrots like it was second nature. Damnit.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

revdrkevind posted:

Between these posts I grabbed a 'Nox santoku, and my preference for cute little Asians grows. I just push-cut a whole stewpot worth of cabbage and celery and carrots like it was second nature. Damnit.

Wait 'till you use a nakiri. I thought about replacing mine for a while because it's a pretty over-reactive carbon steel and I needed to be able to rock-chop better, but I just feel so comfortable with it that I'm just changing how I cut and treat the knife.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
Does anybody have an opinion on the Dexter nakiri? I know it isn't a popular brand and I always saw them as a cheap knife, but I dug up a dexter chef's knife at my work and that thing was sharp as hell and had a great feel in the hand. Do they go to poo poo really quickly or something? I never hear about them.

http://www.amazon.com/x20AC-Nakiri-Knife-Basics%C3%82%C2%AE-Series/dp/B008AS20W0

Oh yeah and for the thing to put under your cutting board so it doesn't slip we use these at work and they're fine for what they are. Easy to clean, very tacky, and very durable. I've never had a board slide around on me without one and they seem pretty useless, but i'll probably regret that mindset when I chop my hand off or something else stupid.

http://www.amazon.com/San-Jamar-CBM1318-Saf-T-Grip-Board-Mate/dp/B0001MSCKM

for sale fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 3, 2014

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Anyone know about these knives? Titanium carbide blade. Claim is 300 times longer sharpened than steel.
http://www.aplusrstore.com/product/1499/furtif-evercut-knives

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
All of those knives have horrible shapes. I dunno if titanium carbide would perform better than proper kitchen steels, but I have a feeling the answer is no.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Titanium for kitchen knives is more or less a gimmicky thing, no? As in, these blades only have a sprinkle of the stuff in their edges, but they are mostly made with an average steel.

So, I am looking for my first "serious" knife. I had bought an average chef's knife back then while I was learning how to do proper maintenance and care, and now I want a reliable kickass workhorse: the Tojiro DP seems to be the all-around champion before diminishing returns, but I heard nice things about the Fujiwara FKM and MAC gyutos on that price range. I am currently inclined for the DP 240mm, although other opinions would be appreciated.

As a bonus, I am also considering a chinese cleaver after seeing all the rave about it; seems a much more effective buy than a nakiri, for instance.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Transmetropolitan posted:

As in, these blades only have a sprinkle of the stuff in their edges, but they are mostly made with an average steel.

Ding ding ding. This is exactly it, a carbide coating. The coating tells you nothing of the actual steel below the coating. If it's a high hardness steel it'll tend to be brittle and you will get a nick, as soon as you fix that nick, guess what, no more carbide. If it's a soft steel then regular honing and sharpening will do the same.

americong
May 29, 2013

It would be interesting, albeit expensive and intensely not worth it, to use knives acually made primarily from modern materials like titanium or carbide. I'd love to wreck some onions with the power of science.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

americong posted:

It would be interesting, albeit expensive and intensely not worth it, to use knives acually made primarily from modern materials like titanium or carbide. I'd love to wreck some onions with the power of science.

On the other hand, high quality stainless steels are very much modern materials that behave very differently from stuff from decades past. It might not have that space-age ring to it, but a fairly common kitchen steel like VG-10 is really quite modern.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0741-C...e+utility+knife
Got this Shun knife at Bed Bath and Beyond on double-secret clearance for 25 bucks.
Just braggin'.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
19 pages and nobody touches on the Cutco elephant in the room? A nervous neighborhood teenager is coming over tonight to "practice his product demo", and I do actually need knives. Get some knives? Buy an ice cream scooper so he'll leave me alone? Or turn off the porch lights and pretend I forgot?

americong
May 29, 2013

ma i married a tuna posted:

On the other hand, high quality stainless steels are very much modern materials that behave very differently from stuff from decades past. It might not have that space-age ring to it, but a fairly common kitchen steel like VG-10 is really quite modern.

Agreed - steel, especially with the benefit of modern tech, is a great material available for real cheap. I just want to cut an onion with a jet engine fan blade.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

19 pages and nobody touches on the Cutco elephant in the room? A nervous neighborhood teenager is coming over tonight to "practice his product demo", and I do actually need knives. Get some knives? Buy an ice cream scooper so he'll leave me alone? Or turn off the porch lights and pretend I forgot?

Probably sell your house and leave town, it's too late to escape without losing face.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My brother sold cutco for a while, so I have a paring knife and a santoku of theirs. Honestly, I like them just fine. They sharpen up ok as long as you don't get their crazy serrated ones, never stain, and the handles are nice in my giant ham hock hands. Just remember, they're made to impress people who bought their knives as a set from Sears 15 years ago and haven't sharpened them since. And they're by no means a good value.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've never so much as seen a Cutco knife, but what other people have told me is:

- Not great knives, not remotely worth it
- The shears are good if you want to make a pity purchase
- If you're buying to help someone out, don't take any free poo poo they offer, it comes out of their cut
- Kind of a scummy, borderline pyramid scheme company, consider not giving them money

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

guppy posted:

- Kind of a scummy, borderline pyramid scheme company, consider not giving them money

Honestly all the still-doing-door-to-door-sales companies are. Pretending not to be home is a good bet.

That said. I know households that have used Cutco knives for decades and swear by them. Often times, these people are former slaves themselves, but a comparison to Avon or etc isn't bad. The knives aren't good, they're not a value, but they're not total crap either. Get a utility knife, shears, steak knives, or whatever and they will serve you well. Should you get an actual chef's knife from them? Bwahahano.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

revdrkevind posted:

Honestly all the still-doing-door-to-door-sales companies are. Pretending not to be home is a good bet.

That said. I know households that have used Cutco knives for decades and swear by them. Often times, these people are former slaves themselves, but a comparison to Avon or etc isn't bad. The knives aren't good, they're not a value, but they're not total crap either. Get a utility knife, shears, steak knives, or whatever and they will serve you well. Should you get an actual chef's knife from them? Bwahahano.

They are actually crap knives. Don't do any of that, just buy a spreader and shears. It's the go-to "I want to help but gently caress off with your crap knives" item, they even have a set!

http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=1851&ref=cs#.VBMSaC5dUn0

RedChops
Sep 8, 2014
A couple years ago I bought a set of Chicago Cutlery knives, mostly because they looked nice. I later found that they don't really hold their edge well.
Instead of sharpening them, I was thinking about going a step up and getting a Victorinox chef's knife. Is this a good step up, or should I consider something more? I do an awful lot of home cooking, and really just want something reliable.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Greatest Living Man posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0741-C...e+utility+knife
Got this Shun knife at Bed Bath and Beyond on double-secret clearance for 25 bucks.
Just braggin'.

I got this from my relatives as a housewarming present, it's pretty good for cutting bagels and cheese.

They also gave me a 6" Shun chef's knife, now I want to get a 10" shun. Is this a good or bad idea? I have a cheap bread knife, a 120mm tojiro petty, and the aforementioned knives.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

RedChops posted:

A couple years ago I bought a set of Chicago Cutlery knives, mostly because they looked nice. I later found that they don't really hold their edge well.
Instead of sharpening them, I was thinking about going a step up and getting a Victorinox chef's knife. Is this a good step up, or should I consider something more? I do an awful lot of home cooking, and really just want something reliable.

It's the best value you can get in a knife. It's not the best knife you can get, not by a long shot, but it's a better knife for the money than just about anything else. If you want something better/ prettier, the Tojiro DPs are the go-to recommendation. Even that, I think, you shouldn't do before learning how to sharpen.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

RedChops posted:

It will definitely be an improvement, it's one of the go-to recommendations for decent entry-level chef's knives. It is not a great knife or anything. If you cook that much you may want to invest in a better knife, but we don't know your financial situation or budget. Note that you still need to hone any knife, high-end ones included, and sharpen occasionally -- no knife will keep its edge after a couple years of use.

edit: I say this as someone who decided to learn how to sharpen: You don't need to sharpen your own knives. You can have it done for you. I would not have mentioned this but for the reply before mine. Knowing how to sharpen is not a prerequisite for owning any knife, good or crappy.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I know this isn't exactly the right thread for this, but sewing people know nothing about steel and edges so I thought I'd ask here. I'm looking to buy another pair of scissors for sewing as my Mundial shears are too big for tight corners. Scissors are just a couple of knives with chisel edges, right?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
My mom's 60th birthday is next week and I've decided I want to get her a good knife. Her normal knife is a Calphalon santoku that she has had for 15 years that she takes pretty good care of, but she's overdue for an upgrade. I have a Tojiro DP that she has used and really liked, but I'd like to get her something a little more attractive like a Damascus or hammered steel chefs knife. I know those are really just for looks and I'm ok with that. I'm looking to keep it under $150 if possible. Any recommendations on what to check out?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rockcity posted:

My mom's 60th birthday is next week and I've decided I want to get her a good knife. Her normal knife is a Calphalon santoku that she has had for 15 years that she takes pretty good care of, but she's overdue for an upgrade. I have a Tojiro DP that she has used and really liked, but I'd like to get her something a little more attractive like a Damascus or hammered steel chefs knife. I know those are really just for looks and I'm ok with that. I'm looking to keep it under $150 if possible. Any recommendations on what to check out?

I wouldn't complain about being gifted a shun santoku, they're sort of pretty - but not the silly damascus level stuff. you really aren't going to find a quality blade with that frilly stuff under $150 afaik.

if you aren't sold on the damascus stuff, I really love my MAC santokus performance wise. have both the professional and the 'mighty' ones, they're both great blades - the pro is a bit thinner with dimples, and stays sharp longer - I think overall it's a harder blade. but I wouldn't chop through bones with it - whereas I would and do with the mighty blade.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Pile of Kittens posted:

I know this isn't exactly the right thread for this, but sewing people know nothing about steel and edges so I thought I'd ask here. I'm looking to buy another pair of scissors for sewing as my Mundial shears are too big for tight corners. Scissors are just a couple of knives with chisel edges, right?

We're used to kitchen shears whose job is to cut twine and crack bones. So uh. But I've had a lot of relatives into various crafts, and no seriously you need good hobbyist scissors that specialize in whatever task you're doing. The orange handled ones seem popular- Fiskar?

Theoretically you're right they're just knives set to pivot. But the application you're using them for changes a lot of variables.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Anyone have any thoughts on the JCK Gekko line? I think they fit what I was picturing in terms of looks and the pricing is pretty good. They're listed under the specials on JCK. http://japanesechefsknife.com/SPECIALS.html#Specials

RedChops
Sep 8, 2014

guppy posted:

It will definitely be an improvement, it's one of the go-to recommendations for decent entry-level chef's knives. It is not a great knife or anything. If you cook that much you may want to invest in a better knife, but we don't know your financial situation or budget. Note that you still need to hone any knife, high-end ones included, and sharpen occasionally -- no knife will keep its edge after a couple years of use.

edit: I say this as someone who decided to learn how to sharpen: You don't need to sharpen your own knives. You can have it done for you. I would not have mentioned this but for the reply before mine. Knowing how to sharpen is not a prerequisite for owning any knife, good or crappy.

Well, I have a sharpening stone for my straight razor, though it's probably too high of a grain, 4000/8000 on either side of it. ma i married a tuna right above you mentioned Tojiro as a step up, is that worth it? My budget for cooking stuff varies month-to-month, but I can usually set aside a few hundred dollars for something I know will last

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Pile of Kittens posted:

Gingher and Dovo both make excellent "tiny little sewing scissors". The prices are very high for tiny little scissors, but they're super sharp and hold their edges well.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

Gingher and Dovo both make excellent "tiny little sewing scissors". The prices are very high for tiny little scissors, but they're super sharp and hold their edges well.

My mom has a set of Gingher that she only uses for sewing and she's been using them for probably 30 years. They are sharp as hell.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

rockcity posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the JCK Gekko line? I think they fit what I was picturing in terms of looks and the pricing is pretty good. They're listed under the specials on JCK. http://japanesechefsknife.com/SPECIALS.html#Specials

I like mine well enough. I have the rosewood 240mm wa gyuto, tried to pull up the exact one but their website doesn't want to load on my phone. I don't use it that often anymore, but I have tons of knives, and I prefer others now for day to day work. I wish I could say more, but like I said I haven't used it in a while. I do remember wanting to change the angle of the blade as mine was slightly asymmetric when it arrived and not necessarily in a way I wanted, but I don't know how much that matters to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

RedChops posted:

Well, I have a sharpening stone for my straight razor, though it's probably too high of a grain, 4000/8000 on either side of it. ma i married a tuna right above you mentioned Tojiro as a step up, is that worth it? My budget for cooking stuff varies month-to-month, but I can usually set aside a few hundred dollars for something I know will last

The Tojiro DP gyuto is another popular recommendation here. It's still well under $100, and by the time you get to the ~$150 range you're already looking at something like the Mac Professional line, which I'm told is a better knife than many pros have. (And I'm not telling you you need to drop that much.) So you don't need to be completely insane, if you were looking to drop a few hundred you'd be well into the range of handmade knives.

We can't really tell you how much to spend on a knife. I think the Tojiro DP gyuto is around $70. You can buy something wacky and handforged by elves and $1500+ if you really want to, or anywhere in between. The main thing is to buy something well-made that you like the feel of. I'd say set your budget, and see what's available in that range. If you can try out prospective purchases at a Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table or whatever so much the better, although I've bought all mine online. There are some things you can't know without feeling them -- some people like Global handles, for example, and some hate them.

Edit: Whatever you buy, please do take good care of it. Wash promptly by hand and dry and all that.

• Locked thread