Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Smettbo posted:

Nononono, I was just getting into playing Veigar and abusing his dumb as gently caress 2.5 second AoE stun, now his kickass skin has come out and he's getting hit with Pulsefire Ezreal syndrome :gonk:

This is a good thing. A bad veigar is the best thing in the world to lane against.
I do wonder why riot keeps making so many skins for such an unpopular champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Riot seems to have no clear core concept of why they make skins. They just put them out for whatever.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Riot seems to have no clear core concept of why they make skins. They just put them out for whatever.

Fun aesthetic things are for fun and pure aesthetics. Shocking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AHH FUGH posted:

Fun aesthetic things are for fun and pure aesthetics. Shocking.

Fun aesthetic things sold for money usually have a bit more focus behind them instead of seeming scattershot.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Didn't someone in this thread recently say that the skins are basically whatever the artist wants to do, and that's why we don't see many skins for the comparatively weird or obscure champs like Skarner?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

ImpAtom posted:

Fun aesthetic things sold for money usually have a bit more focus behind them instead of seeming scattershot.

It's really no big deal at all, it's all just a fun bunch of skins, some sets of which are themed together. The Arcade and Last Boss for instance. Or all the Commandos. There's enough, thematically, going on to meet your criteria.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ImpAtom posted:

Riot makes a lot of questionable or sometimes outright baffling decisions from a business standpoint, so it shouldn't surprise you anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

It's really no big deal at all, it's all just a fun bunch of skins, some sets of which are themed together. The Arcade and Last Boss for instance. Or all the Commandos. There's enough, thematically, going on to meet your criteria.

Well, the Commando skins make sense. They're all Demacian. There's not really any coherent theme to the champions chosen for the Arcade skins beyond "I guess we had an Arcade idea for them." They also happened to go mostly to champions who also have an absurd amount of skins.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'd like to hear what your suggestions are in that case. What, exactly, would you like to see?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AHH FUGH posted:

I'd like to hear what your suggestions are in that case. What, exactly, would you like to see?

From a personal perspective I'd like to see more skins for champions who have only a small handful or haven't gotten new skins in a long time. There's obvious problems with this (i.e: Sion ain't getting poo poo till he's reworked) but in general it would be nice if they'd at least not keep pumping out skins for Champions who already have a huge number of available skins.

They're doing a bit better with this with Aatrox or Yasou getting new skins but it really does stand out that each Arcade/Last Boss skin went to a champion who already has a bunch.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 30, 2014

Char
Jan 5, 2013

AHH FUGH posted:

Where are Space Marine J4 and Chaos Space Marine Darius?

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I like the look of the Soraka rework. I think giving her some CC besides a single target silence will make it a lot easier to balance her.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well, the Commando skins make sense. They're all Demacian. There's not really any coherent theme to the champions chosen for the Arcade skins beyond "I guess we had an Arcade idea for them." They also happened to go mostly to champions who also have an absurd amount of skins.

Ugh don't remind me about those skins. Commando Lux was such a let down. Wanted a bad rear end mage tatician with sunglasses, got Megaman from MM1's box art instead. They tried to fix it too by at least giving Imperial Lux a beret but it just isn't the same.

Ah well, at least Steel Legion Lux is good.

Now i'd just kill for a real Xerath skin.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
I hate Shaco so much. What a gigantic piece of unfun bullshit.

What's the strategy to deal with him? I've done everything I can think of to keep him from splitpushing constantly but nothing seems to work.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Emery posted:

I hate Shaco so much. What a gigantic piece of unfun bullshit.

What's the strategy to deal with him? I've done everything I can think of to keep him from splitpushing constantly but nothing seems to work.

There are plenty of people who can outduel Shaco, so that's one option. Group and push objectives.
Try not to feed him early - Shaco is a real feast or famine champion who thrives early game. Once that's over splitpushing is all he can do, and he's only so-so at it.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

5-1 with Ahri now. She is a god drat machine. I also bought Leona so I have a backup in case I don't get mid.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I wish I could reach through my computer screen and murder all Akali and Diana players. They make being ADC completely miserable and unfun. :argh:

Edit: Holy gently caress you can jump walls with Hecarim E. I still learn poo poo about this game. :allears:

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 30, 2014

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

ImpAtom posted:

I would agree but Miss Fortune didn't have one single skin with extra particles or any real effort whatsoever so I'm glad she got Arcade.

vv This, I want that loving skin damnit vv

TERRIBLE SHITLORD fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 30, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Give me dunkmaster darius you assholes at riot video games

Orv
May 4, 2011
So I love Twitch, but I don't love exploding the moment an assassin looks at me funny. Anything I can do to ameliorate that and not completely gimp myself as Twitch? Other than not play Twitch, of course. General build ideas wouldn't go amiss either. Mostly been going Maw, Bloodthirster, Runaan's, then it all gets messy from there.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Don't build maw or runaans or BT. Rush Botrk, youmuu's. Go Zeal - > PD and get IE / LW at some point and a defensive item. Maybe sell youmuu's eventually for BT. Midgame you can usually assassinate anyone with the actives from youmuu's and botrk and your ambush.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Smettbo posted:

EDIT: Didn't want to make a new post for this quick question. Scenario: A Zed ults you, but you Exhaust him and then kill him before the mark goes off. When the mark does go off, does the damage reduction from Exhaust still apply?
Uh, yes and no. So, the mark damage is equal to the damage he deals while the mark debuff is on you, yeah. So if you Exhaust him, he does, say, 1k damage reduced to 600 by Exhaust. Exhaust then runs out, but he does no more damage to you. The mark detonation will do (150/210/300 (depending on Zed's ult level) + Zed's AD) damage.

If you can time it right, between Exhaust and CC on Zed, you can force the mark to double dip the Exhaust damage reduction, so using the example above, the mark would do (150 + 50% of his AD) :v:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

exethan posted:

Don't build maw or runaans or BT. Rush Botrk, youmuu's. Go Zeal - > PD and get IE / LW at some point and a defensive item. Maybe sell youmuu's eventually for BT. Midgame you can usually assassinate anyone with the actives from youmuu's and botrk and your ambush.

Yes do this, for the love of god don't build Runaans or Maw on ADC's, ever. If you need survivability as an ADC the best option is almost always a Cutlass into BotRK with an eventual Veil/GA down the line, sooner if you're having a lot of problems. If that isn't enough to keep you alive either you or your team is doing something very wrong (most likely you). That said Twitch is in my experience possibly one of the most positioning dependent ADC's in the game outside of his 1v1 pick potential. If you're not taking up good positions in fights you're going to do almost nothing with him, which is why I don't play him often :(

Also yeah Ghostblade is fairly core on him, very good synergy with his ult + dueling capability.

AlienMachine
Aug 20, 2014

Time to die, Semper Fi~
Do anyone know when Season 5 will start?
Will it start just after the World champ'ship, or will it take a couple months?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Can anyone give me some Yi tips? I keep trying him and I end up with more deaths than kills. His kits seems to say "go balls out", but then he just dies. Of course, the fact that I suck has a lot to do with it.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!

The Dregs posted:

Can anyone give me some Yi tips? I keep trying him and I end up with more deaths than kills. His kits seems to say "go balls out", but then he just dies. Of course, the fact that I suck has a lot to do with it.

Yi's job is to come to the party late and clean up. If he tries to engage a teamfight, he'll get blown up.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

AlienMachine posted:

Sometime in January probably.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

AlienMachine posted:

It's my memory that season 4 didn't start until some time into January. Before that there was the pre-season 4 patch which tentatively implemented a lot of the changes like the trinkets and the wight but didn't reset ranked.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Orv posted:

So I love Twitch, but I don't love exploding the moment an assassin looks at me funny. Anything I can do to ameliorate that and not completely gimp myself as Twitch? Other than not play Twitch, of course. General build ideas wouldn't go amiss either. Mostly been going Maw, Bloodthirster, Runaan's, then it all gets messy from there.

I'm not very good at Twitch, but never ever build Runaan's. Ever, on any champion. The only exception to this is Kayle when her E did .4AP every autoattack and stacked with Nashor's Tooth. Just please please do not build it.

Also Maw is a pretty bad item on ADCs, you need to focus on exponential scalings through AD, attack speed, and crit chance.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

The Dregs posted:

Can anyone give me some Yi tips? I keep trying him and I end up with more deaths than kills. His kits seems to say "go balls out", but then he just dies.

Learn to use Q to dodge skill shots/CC if you aren't. He also really doesn't want to dive head first into the enemy team - he's better as a team fight clean up/assassin who hangs around the edge of teamfights until the other team has blown their big CC and damage abilities and then blows them up.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Dregs posted:

That's pretty much him, with the huge condition that you have to choose when to go balls out very carefully. Yesterday I had a game where the enemy Yi jungle, who was otherwise doing OK, kept launching himself at my team when my ult was up. Being Skarner, that was pretty much a death sentence for him.

Usually, it's better to flank people with just your ult when important cooldowns are off, and preserve alpha strikes for dodging targeted/skillshot CC. If you want to watch people do this, Cowsep tends to ride Yi up to high levels of the Korean ladder by having good mechanics and a strong sense of timing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

They're doing a bit better with this with Aatrox or Yasou getting new skins but it really does stand out that each Arcade/Last Boss skin went to a champion who already has a bunch.
You think Hecarim has a ton of skins?

edit: they likely target new skin releases very heavily on "which champs have the most players that own them". Veigar is a release champ, so everybody has Veigar. Skins probably don't spike champion sales THAT much - most people probably buy skins for champs they already have.

It's worth considering that Riot has full access to their sales data, and dedicated teams analyzing purchasing patterns, and that there's a very good chance that they have a base level of competence.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 30, 2014

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

TheModernAmerican posted:

I'm not very good at Twitch, but never ever build Runaan's. Ever, on any champion. The only exception to this is Kayle when her E did .4AP every autoattack and stacked with Nashor's Tooth. Just please please do not build it.

Also Maw is a pretty bad item on ADCs, you need to focus on exponential scalings through AD, attack speed, and crit chance.

Would you not build it anymore on Kayle? I have been and it still seems pretty effective. I go Nashor's Tooth -> CDR Boots -> Hurricane -> Deathcap/Zhonya's/Void Staff -> Others I didn't get in the order I need them. I've been toying with building Lichbane third but I'm not sure if it'd be worth replacing Deathcap, Zhonya's, or Void Staff with it.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

theflyingorc posted:

Think he's talking about Veigar. And Veigar is awesome, so I don't begrudge his skins.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The Dregs posted:

Think he's talking about Veigar. And Veigar is awesome, so I don't begrudge his skins.

He said EACH. What happened is he forgot about Hecarim.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

He said EACH. What happened is he forgot about Hecarim.

everyone forgets about Hecarim :(

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TheModernAmerican posted:

Runaan's can still be worth building on Kayle for its raw teamfighting potential, but it's not hands down superior to Lich Bane anymore, it just depends on what you want to do. It's basically worthless on every other champion though (although it's entertaining to build on Jinx in Dominion for funsies).

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

theflyingorc posted:

Sona only had 2 available for purchase when her arcade skin released as well, IIRC. Both of them pretty boring with no extra particles or effects.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Previous Jesus posted:

Would you not build it anymore on Kayle? I have been and it still seems pretty effective. I go Nashor's Tooth -> CDR Boots -> Hurricane -> Deathcap/Zhonya's/Void Staff -> Others I didn't get in the order I need them. I've been toying with building Lichbane third but I'm not sure if it'd be worth replacing Deathcap, Zhonya's, or Void Staff with it.

It's alright, but you still want it after about 10k worth of gold, so it's almost pointless to talk about. Before the nerf the build was Nashors > Hurricane, now it comes much later. And combined with the Lich Bane nerfs she really doesn't have any build path that is crazy out of the ordinary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlienMachine
Aug 20, 2014

Time to die, Semper Fi~

Previous Jesus posted:

It's my memory that season 4 didn't start until some time into January. Before that there was the pre-season 4 patch which tentatively implemented a lot of the changes like the trinkets and the wight but didn't reset ranked.

Okay, so I may still have time to reach Gold V (For the "awesome" season rewards).

• Locked thread