Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
So my friends and I are seriously considering getting the Going Merry model as a sop against us feeling sad about being stuck selling stuff to nerds in an uncomfortably hot, dark, garage at Kumoricon.

The problem is that we're not sure that we're up for putting in a ton of work for a decorative piece that we don't really have a lot of room for in our apartment; some painting/sanding would be okay, but if the model's really huge or needs like, a ton of work to get it looking halfway decent then it becomes a lot less tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Ernie Muppari posted:

So my friends and I are seriously considering getting the Going Merry model as a sop against us feeling sad about being stuck selling stuff to nerds in an uncomfortably hot, dark, garage at Kumoricon.

The problem is that we're not sure that we're up for putting in a ton of work for a decorative piece that we don't really have a lot of room for in our apartment; some painting/sanding would be okay, but if the model's really huge or needs like, a ton of work to get it looking halfway decent then it becomes a lot less tempting.

Looking at the pictures it has on dalong and the internet it's not that huge, and mostly molded in colour, the main exception being the actual crew, they are molded in somehwat fleshy-coloured plastic entirely.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

Presented without comment:

garage kit or scale figure? I'm asking for a friend

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I'm going out today i think to buy an ikea shelf just for gunpla because i'm running out of room on my current display one. Sensing a parallel to retro game collecting here. Current display only really holds 10 and im about to start #8 (kampfer amazing) but it doesn't leave much room for setting up any kind of scenes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

garage kit or scale figure? I'm asking for a friend

Probably a garage kit.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

madpanda posted:

I'm going out today i think to buy an ikea shelf just for gunpla because i'm running out of room on my current display one. Sensing a parallel to retro game collecting here. Current display only really holds 10 and im about to start #8 (kampfer amazing) but it doesn't leave much room for setting up any kind of scenes.

Ikea flatpacks are about as difficult as HG kits but are ridiculously flimsy. Before you even think about putting stuff on it, make sure to reinforce the gently caress out of that shelf.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

ScottyWired posted:

Ikea flatpacks are about as difficult as HG kits but are ridiculously flimsy. Before you even think about putting stuff on it, make sure to reinforce the gently caress out of that shelf.

Not sure when the last time you built something from ikea is, but they're definitely sturdy enough now to hold plastic robots.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Some time ago I ordered a neograde recast from some chinese seller on ebay. I've been sanding/cutting/destroying pieces when I had the time or felt like, so after like two months I'm not even half way there. Today, I noticed I'm missing an antenna piece so I did a count and found out I'm missing two goddamn little pieces of resin. I hope these guys do replacements :(

edit: I can't count, I'm only missing one piece, the antenna which i sort of remember working on first and then putting it somewhere safe ao it doesn't break. Well it sure is safe now!

Ledenko fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 31, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So I'm getting back into gunpla and already the costs are mounting. :negative:

I have nippers, sandpaper of various grits(400 to 2000), files, a hobby knife, some panel lining markers and matte top coat. I'm looking at getting paints and brushes, but I'm not sure if I should go with enamels or acrylics, I know the enamels will probably give better results but is a gas mask really necessary for working with them? I have some old kits to practice on before I start doing some of the nice modern kits. Also any recommendations on brushes?

I also have a HGUC Hi-Nu on the way, is that a decent kit?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I also have a HGUC Hi-Nu on the way, is that a decent kit?

It is a decent kit, but the flaw with it is that 4 of the fin funnels are integrated into the backpack and can't be deployed like they normally should be. http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h95/h95_i.htm

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TaurusOxford posted:

It is a decent kit, but the flaw with it is that 4 of the fin funnels are integrated into the backpack and can't be deployed like they normally should be. http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h95/h95_i.htm

Yeah, I knew about that but I'm unlikely to take more than two them off anyway so I'm not too miffed about it. I'm trying to stick to 1/144 stuff because MGs add up drat quick cost wise and I figure that will mean some sacrifices.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I know the enamels will probably give better results but is a gas mask really necessary for working with them?

Strictly speaking no, if you're not spraying, but you still want the area to be very well ventilated and a mask certainly wouldn't hurt.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'd use a mask because you only get one set of lungs. You're only brushing so you probably don't need a big mask with filters, just something like an n 95 maybe? Definitely need the workspace to be well ventilated though.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So powers been out today. Killed time by finishing a bit more of the Turn X. It's coming pretty nice.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
how the gently caress do i get these frame parts in the sinanju stein cuffs

geeksauce
Mar 1, 2011
After twelve or more years of not building any models, I just ordered the MG OVA Sinanju and the RG Justice. I have no experience with either of these grades (Only HG from Wing and EW), but I've heard the Sinanju is a fun build. How good do you guys think the Justice will be as a refresher?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

geeksauce posted:

After twelve or more years of not building any models, I just ordered the MG OVA Sinanju and the RG Justice. I have no experience with either of these grades (Only HG from Wing and EW), but I've heard the Sinanju is a fun build. How good do you guys think the Justice will be as a refresher?

RGs are basically mini-MGs and are incredibly complex and fiddly, you might want to do the MG first, it'll probably be easier with the larger part size.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I just finished the body of RG Strike and while a few bits have been pretty hard to clean/deal with it's been an enjoyable build. The eye piece and the red cap on the V for the head were tough for sure.

Plus the stickers will be something else, once I get to them. I'll probably leave a few off.

geeksauce
Mar 1, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

RGs are basically mini-MGs and are incredibly complex and fiddly, you might want to do the MG first, it'll probably be easier with the larger part size.

I'm honestly just more afraid of messing up the Sinanju than the Justice. That's why I figured I'd start with it instead. I don't mind the smaller pieces so much.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

geeksauce posted:

I'm honestly just more afraid of messing up the Sinanju than the Justice. That's why I figured I'd start with it instead. I don't mind the smaller pieces so much.

well it's too late now, but I wouldn't recommend the sinanju as someone's first mg. Just go slow and be careful. I'd start with the justice personally, better to mess up a 30 dollar kit than an 80 dollar one.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

It's a bit of a poo poo site, but Robot4Less is doing a Labor Day sale tomorrow, 30% off everything with the code in checkout.

geeksauce
Mar 1, 2011

Monaghan posted:

well it's too late now, but I wouldn't recommend the sinanju as someone's first mg. Just go slow and be careful. I'd start with the justice personally, better to mess up a 30 dollar kit than an 80 dollar one.

That was my thought process exactly. Thanks for the advice. Though, I couldn't help grabbing the Sinanju. It was just too beautiful to resist. What are some fun MGs for beginners that I can pick up later down the road? RX-78-2 Ver. 3.0?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

geeksauce posted:

That was my thought process exactly. Thanks for the advice. Though, I couldn't help grabbing the Sinanju. It was just too beautiful to resist. What are some fun MGs for beginners that I can pick up later down the road? RX-78-2 Ver. 3.0?

You really can't go wrong with any of the Gundam Wing MG kits(two that I would personally recommend is TV Wing Gundam and EW Heavyarms).

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

geeksauce posted:

One of my friends built the Jesta for his first Master Grade and he had a blast. I'd recommend that or the Gundam X, myself.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

geeksauce posted:

The Ver. 3.0 is really complex, sort of a engineering showcase for the designers at Bandai. The Gundam X is pretty simple and really nice looking and I've also heard good things about the new Wing Gundam MGs like the heavyarms.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

peeNamaste posted:

Not sure when the last time you built something from ikea is, but they're definitely sturdy enough now to hold plastic robots.

I don't know, I just weighed my MG Sinanju and its action base and it weighs 13.3oz :derp:.

Adam Savage uses Ikea for his display cases:
http://youtu.be/l9AqYaSRjw0?t=3m11s

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

geeksauce posted:

What are some fun MGs for beginners that I can pick up later down the road?

MG Gundam X, MG AGE-1, MG Gundam X, MG Zaku 2.0, MG Gundam X, MG Build Strike, MG Gundam X, and did I mention MG Gundam X?

Because MG Gundam X.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cat Hatter posted:

I don't know, I just weighed my MG Sinanju and its action base and it weighs 13.3oz :derp:.

Adam Savage uses Ikea for his display cases:
http://youtu.be/l9AqYaSRjw0?t=3m11s

buy a detolf like everyone else or shop at an actual furniture store. Mine holds PGs, so your bitch rear end sinanju will be fine

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Fauxtool posted:

buy a detolf like everyone else or shop at an actual furniture store. Mine holds PGs, so your bitch rear end sinanju will be fine

But I was making a joke about how even the lightest hardcover book weighs more than my MG Sinanju, which is as large a model as most people would have, which is why I didn't put my previously posted Giant Size Gundam on there (1 lb 7.9 oz for the curious). I thought the link to a celebrity who scratch-builds props/costumes for a living showing off his collection of beautiful Ikea furniture would give it away.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Didn't realize the Detolf was Ikea. Wouldn't want to move those so i'll just go with Kallax which I use for storing records or consoles. Should be easier to setup battle scenes as well.

Finished building Kampfer Amazing HG, really enjoyable build considering i've been mostly doing old hg's so far. Not digging the lack of leg/arm articulation though. I'll look at the usual site but is this common for build fighters or just some of them? Also it seemed to use a lot of decals where hard plastic yellow pieces could have gone.

Hoping the Char's Zaku 2.0 MG is still at the hobby shop when I go tommorow. That should be a nice first MG.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Articulation really depends on the design. Generic human figures without tons of poo poo hanging on have excellent flexibility, big bulky mechs not so much.

Using stickers for missing colors is very much a HG thing though. It keeps the prices down. v:shobon:v

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

So some more questions on paints: How are the Testors Model Master enamel paints? They seem to be available locally and they have a ton of colors, I expect I'll need to mix paints to get the right colors but more colors makes that easier. I've also seen Vallejo paint sets on amazon but they look super pricey and I'm not sure if all those colors would be overkill for painting gunpla or not. Is it possible to brush on Future and have it look ok? Once it is set can you use enamels over it or will that destroy it?

I wanted to avoid an airbrush setup because of the cost and noise but I'm wondering if going down the hand brush route might end up being a bad choice because of enamel paints and having to brush on topcoat.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

madpanda posted:

Didn't realize the Detolf was Ikea. Wouldn't want to move those so i'll just go with Kallax which I use for storing records or consoles. Should be easier to setup battle scenes as well.

Finished building Kampfer Amazing HG, really enjoyable build considering i've been mostly doing old hg's so far. Not digging the lack of leg/arm articulation though. I'll look at the usual site but is this common for build fighters or just some of them? Also it seemed to use a lot of decals where hard plastic yellow pieces could have gone.

Hoping the Char's Zaku 2.0 MG is still at the hobby shop when I go tommorow. That should be a nice first MG.

I might be wrong on this but I think it's one of the BF kits which uses an older mold.

On a similar note I just started a HG Rezel type c defenser yesterday. The design is cool but the shoulder articulation/connector is a bit meh, it transforms via parts forming(is this common with HGs?) and the vents/verniers are solid white pieces without any stickers so they need at least spot painting to look good.

Otherwise it's a fun build so far, I like the use of a plain foil sticker behind the visor, it makes quite a nice effect. After building the rest of the kit I need to work out the most practical way to mask and paint the verniers.

I'll take and post some pics now my phone is charged.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Model Masters is fine, probably one of the better enamel lines IIRC. Vallejo is nice too, but if you have a good variety of enamels the only thing you might need acrylics for is a panel wash. Future is self-leveling so unless you really gently caress it up you can brush it on just fine. And yes, you can use enamels over them without fear.

Also you can just buy a can of flat coat.

Luminaflare posted:

I might be wrong on this but I think it's one of the BF kits which uses an older mold.

Yes, but HG Kampfer is relatively recent. Honestly, Kampfer Amazing probably has worse articulation due to the increased bulk.

quote:

The design is cool but the shoulder articulation/connector is a bit meh, it transforms via parts forming(is this common with HGs?)

Yes. Be glad, it makes transforming HGs way more stable. RG Zeta. :shepicide:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 1, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Luminaflare posted:

On a similar note I just started a HG Rezel type c defenser yesterday. The design is cool but the shoulder articulation/connector is a bit meh, it transforms via parts forming(is this common with HGs?) and the vents/verniers are solid white pieces without any stickers so they need at least spot painting to look good.

Otherwise it's a fun build so far, I like the use of a plain foil sticker behind the visor, it makes quite a nice effect. After building the rest of the kit I need to work out the most practical way to mask and paint the verniers.

I'll take and post some pics now my phone is charged.

Partsforming is another common practice with HGs, it keeps the cost down and honestly, having built a couple transforming MGs, it's preferable. A kit that transforms usually loses a lot of its stability so it can actually have that function.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Still a long ways to go with this guy, but in honour of what my upstairs neighbours have been doing the last three hours I was inspired to do some posing. Karaoke Strike time!

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So some more questions on paints: How are the Testors Model Master enamel paints? They seem to be available locally and they have a ton of colors, I expect I'll need to mix paints to get the right colors but more colors makes that easier. I've also seen Vallejo paint sets on amazon but they look super pricey and I'm not sure if all those colors would be overkill for painting gunpla or not. Is it possible to brush on Future and have it look ok? Once it is set can you use enamels over it or will that destroy it?

I wanted to avoid an airbrush setup because of the cost and noise but I'm wondering if going down the hand brush route might end up being a bad choice because of enamel paints and having to brush on topcoat.

Never tried Testors, so I can't speak to their quality. You're right that Vallejo is probably overkill.

You can absolutely brush on Future: it's self-levelling so you should get a good finish off it, just work in strokes that go the same direction. Future is also enamel friendly because it's essentially a liquid acrylic and it's ammonia-based. Just give it plenty of time to dry, as mentioned before.

I wouldn't worry about airbrushing just yet. It's a whole other skillset to learn and as you said, it has a large upfront cost. You can still do amazing things with brush techniques only. Some people say that acrylics are the paints best suited to airbrushing and that enamels should only be used for brushing! I'd say that you can airbrush whatever you like so long as you understand the paint you're working with.

Brushing on topcoat is also not a biggie. Just get out there, experiment and learn! Like most things in this world, you'll get better with practice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It turns out what I thought was a gundam model but it was just one of those cosmic series of seed destiny action figures. I was thinking building a model would be pretty fun, and I bought a HGUC GM 1/144. It took 6 hours to build it plain but it was alot of tiring fun. Looking forward to practice some more HGs before I start seam hiding, panel lining, decaling, and top coating.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 2, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

madpanda posted:

Do you mean the yellow parts of the weapon cases? It's because they're in a Booster kit as well, and those are designed to be as cheap as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Can you still get Future somewhere? A few years ago, I tried one of the alternatives that were said to be just as good but I can confirm it's useless as protection, only works for dipping transparent stuff like lenses.

• Locked thread