Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

BiggerBoat posted:

Thy will be done:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657059

Can you guys C&P your questions over there to get it going (or do you mind if I do)? I may just drag and drop our exchanges from this thread over there to light a fire. With your permission of course.

Yeah go crazy with whatever you think will be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

djwetmouse posted:

I watched Jodorowsky's Dune this weekend and it was amazing, does anyone know of other similar documentaries about films that were never completed such as this one and Lost in La Mancha (which was also great)?
Audience of One, about a Pentecostal minister's vision to create the ultimate Sci-Fi film. American Movie, about blue-collar rednecks trying to create an independent horror film. And tangentially, Overnight about Troy Duffy's tortured attempt to create Boondock Saints.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ooh, Audience of One, drat good pick. Demon Lover Diary is great as well.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Are there any good documentaries about the origins of religion?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I watched one recently about the bottled water industry. Forgot the name of it but it only reinforced the idea in my head that bottled water is the ultimate scam. I get mad at my wife when she buys it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

BiggerBoat posted:

I watched one recently about the bottled water industry. Forgot the name of it but it only reinforced the idea in my head that bottled water is the ultimate scam. I get mad at my wife when she buys it.

I'm with you on this. I'm amazed US advertising companies were able to make it chic and trendy, when 20 years ago if you told me you only ever drank bottled water, I would have assumed you were in Mexico or something.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I've been watching the X-Files lately and now I'm in the mood for some UFO or government conspiracy documentaries.

I'm trying to avoid anything goofy or overly speculative which looks like is about 99% of what my searches bring up. Definitely not looking for anything like Ancient Aliens or anything stupid like that and I've already seen a bunch about the JFK assassination so nothing about that either.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

StickFigs posted:

I've been watching the X-Files lately and now I'm in the mood for some UFO or government conspiracy documentaries.

I'm trying to avoid anything goofy or overly speculative which looks like is about 99% of what my searches bring up. Definitely not looking for anything like Ancient Aliens or anything stupid like that and I've already seen a bunch about the JFK assassination so nothing about that either.

Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura?

Seriously though, anything on these topics are going to be nut job bullshit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Overlords of the UFO, Zero Dark Thirty.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Not a good "documentary" by any means. One of the worst movies I've ever seen but it does serve a purpose as a time capsule in showing how attitudes towards marine life have changed since it was filmed.

:nms: for animals being killed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg_fiUvVJoE

quote:

Incredibly bombastic narration (the most overblown I’ve ever heard) and some appalling racist “humor” make this 49-minute documentary a jaw-dropping experience. Based in Panama City, Florida, Captain Wallace Caswell is a constable and hunter of ocean predators that foul up the local fishing business. Caswell is described in heroic terms that would embarrass a god. He’s killed sharks with only a knife! He has muscles of steel! Even his binoculars are astoundingly wonderful (“they see far and clear!”). And he has a black cook named Evolution (“Look at Evolution, dark Evolution, humorous Evolution!”) who has a wooden leg and provides bug-eyed comedy relief that Steppin Fetchit would have passed up as too demeaning. Between fights with fish everybody dances around the boat to accordion music (“All week before going into action, Caswell likes to hear a jolly song, a salty sailorman tune! He’s a musical constable! So let the tune ring out with a shout and a fling!”)

The first sea creature he goes after is hardly dangerous -- a bottlenose dolphin. (“The constable takes off his pants, a tell-tale sign! Trousers would never do for fish fighting! So when you see Caswell climbing out of those pants, that means the battle is about to begin, man versus monster!”) This is supposed to take place far out at sea but you can tell it’s staged in waist-deep water. When it gets away, the bastards harpoon it, and the narrator gushes about “fun.” For killing Flipper, one of the most lovable of all animals! I guess if they slapped a child they'd have a hoe-down. When the dolphin gets in the boat with a black sailor, the narrator says “That darkie sailor is having a whale of a time! What colored man ever dreamed of having a leviathan in his boat?” Then they harpoon a hammerhead shark, which keeps raising hell on the boat even after they cut its head half-off. Then Caswell goes after a tiger shark with only a knife, which looks like ill-advised showboating. When birds spot schools of fish, the narrator declares “We are guided by boobies!” How true that is.

Then, they kill sea turtles (“Science says a sea turtle can live without a brain, as some international statesmen do!”) and a guy in a diving suit finds a sunken ship and a herd of octopus, which the narrator hates (“like a horrible symbol of sin… fantastically odious… unmitigated ferocity! The octopus is so fierce that the devil fish, when hungry, has been known to attack one of its own tentacles and devour its own arm!”) In the wreck is a skeleton and a chest, just in case you thought this wasn’t set up. A turtle and octopus attack and obviously-stuffed diving suit, so, knife in his teeth, Caswell dives in to save the day. The whole thing’s shot silent with occasional faked dialogue. At times you see the narrator at a desk staring off into space and talking. Truly jaw-dropping old curio that must be seen to be believed, with many obviously faked scenes. “Constable, off with those pants!”

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I watched this documentary on the Danube and I was wanting more documentaries on nature/man interaction in Europe. Was angling for something about Denmark for some reason but whatever.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I watched Beware of Mr Baker on Netflix and it's great if you like stories about drug addled misanthropes who are terrible to their families. A fantastic talent, but a horrible man.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Are there any documentaries on the way we treat dogs and cats in the US? I've already got Shelter Dogs, Dealing Dogs, One Nation Under Dog (Those 3 are HBO documentaries, and are very good.) and Dark Water Rising, which is about the Katrina rescue efforts.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Drum posted:

Are there any documentaries on the way we treat dogs and cats in the US? I've already got Shelter Dogs, Dealing Dogs, One Nation Under Dog (Those 3 are HBO documentaries, and are very good.) and Dark Water Rising, which is about the Katrina rescue efforts.

If you can find it, Dogs Decoded was a great NOVA episode: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/dogs-decoded.html

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Drum posted:

Louis Theroux did one about dogs in LA, but it isn't on (UK) Netflix yet. Should be easy to find on Youtube and other popular video websites though. It's called Louis Theroux's LA Stories: City of Dogs.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Drum posted:

It's not a documentary but there is a walk in exhibit in Reform, AL that's simply harrowing.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Drum posted:

Not exactly to your specifications, but The Last Dogs of Winter is about the Inuit Sled dog that lives alongside Polar Bears in Churchill, Canada, and the effort to preserve them from extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--N8Xc-3C3k

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

StickFigs posted:

The best "serious" documentaries about UFO's are probably the classic Out of the Blue and Visitors From Space

Although this is explicitly not what you asked for, I'd really like to recommend people to watch stuff about UFO oddballs. Like this absurd 90's as gently caress interview with a UFO cult by Dead Kennedy's Jello Biafra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TphNS93ebqU

Can You Speak Venusian? by Sir Patrick Moore is about an assortment of various independent thinkers who are unshackled by conventional thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9bVF_f9hmw

And Dan Akroyd who the documentary maker describes as "Einstein hiding inside a comic genius" blabbing for an hour about UFOs is also an entertaining classic IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVCd50LXPGY

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

marktheando posted:

Louis Theroux did one about dogs in LA, but it isn't on (UK) Netflix yet. Should be easy to find on Youtube and other popular video websites though. It's called Louis Theroux's LA Stories: City of Dogs.

The whole LA stories series by him is good if anyone is looking for documentaries in general.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I watched Pumping Iron and it was pretty average, but I just couldn't stop thinking about how if this had been the last stop of Arnold's fame (i.e. no movies, political future), he would probably be considered a Mark-Borchardt-level classic documentary personality. As it is, however, the film is merely a curiosity.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 30, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I watched Pumping Iron and it was pretty average, but I just couldn't stop thinking about how if this had been the last stop of Arnold's fame (i.e. no movies, political future), he would probably be considered a Mark-Borchardt-level classic documentary personality. As it is, however, the film is merely a quaint curiosity.

How is it merely quaint?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I just learned what quaint means. :downs:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It just seems not quite big enough to describe that movie. To me, it would be like saying what if Jaws was somehow a massive flop that killed Spielberg's career. American Movie is one of the best documentaries ever, so to be in that company is hardly a quaint curiosity.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Yeah, I guess you're right. The film's got some pretty flat form; it probably wouldn't make a difference if historical circumstances were different.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Pumping Iron is incredible.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know where I can find the version of A Bitter Taste of Freedom with english subtitles? If not, can you recommend a documentary on Anna Politkovskaya that isn't so drat hard to find? Seems to be a few.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Pumping Iron is incredible.

Cumming in the gym, coming at home, coming all the time, I'm the governor of the most populated state!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frostwerks posted:

It's not a documentary but there is a walk in exhibit in Reform, AL that's simply harrowing.

The Maximus of documentaries

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I watched a documentary on birdwatching in central park last night. I don't really give a poo poo about birds but I wanted to watch a documentary about the park and it delivered in spades. If anyone else knows of any that aren't about the central park five because that poo poo's depressing.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Frostwerks posted:

I watched a documentary on birdwatching in central park last night. I don't really give a poo poo about birds but I wanted to watch a documentary about the park and it delivered in spades. If anyone else knows of any that aren't about the central park five because that poo poo's depressing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097033/ This one is great but hard to find.

Symbiopsychotaxiplasm isn't about Central Park but is entirely set there, and is very good.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

penismightier posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097033/ This one is great but hard to find.

Symbiopsychotaxiplasm isn't about Central Park but is entirely set there, and is very good.

Wow you were not kidding. Only place I've seen it his the directors website and I don't have the expendable dough to drop 30 dollars on a documentary. Bummer.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm also looking for anything about NYC green spaces in general.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

penismightier posted:

Dang, just found out William Greaves died last week. What are the other standouts of his documentary work?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The AV Club has a list of documentaries whose theme changed in the process of making the films. Some of them are probably well known here but I still found a few interesting new ones

http://www.avclub.com/article/change-plan-15-documentaries-switched-course-durin-208522

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Man, Daughter from Danang sounds brutal.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'd heard good things about Hoop Dreams, and it definitely lives up to the reputation. Check it out on Netflix Instant.

However, I looked on wikipedia to see how the fellas were getting along after 94, and was horrified to find out that Arthur's father and William's older brother were both murdered! :gonk:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

The AV Club has a list of documentaries whose theme changed in the process of making the films. Some of them are probably well known here but I still found a few interesting new ones

http://www.avclub.com/article/change-plan-15-documentaries-switched-course-durin-208522

Awesome. Man I love the Queen of Versailles.
I can't remember the exact premise, but Dear Zachary fits that bill yeah? Surprised that isn't on there.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

xcore posted:

Awesome. Man I love the Queen of Versailles.
I can't remember the exact premise, but Dear Zachary fits that bill yeah? Surprised that isn't on there.

Its probably because it would be a massive spoiler to list it. (I think the idea that you can spoil documentaries is dumb though)

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

This was superb. Thank you very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I like the look of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCH4fAHtKBo