Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Billy the Mountain posted:

No, I'm still here.

We ...

Um.....

We haven't exactly...TOLD them. About it. As such.

welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:stonklol:
This can only end well.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

That seems like the worst possible choice to have made...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

No, I'm still here.

We ...

Um.....

Wow, why the hell not? Whistle blow that poo poo asap.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

No, I'm still here.

We ...

Um.....

:getin:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

No, I'm still here.

We ...

Um.....

fyi you should be taking this time to update your resume

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
If the firm never needs to access any of that stuff, it won't be a problem.

It could happen!

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Gunjin posted:

gently caress connectors without screws.It may take a few more seconds to tighten down screws, but then I don't have clients coming to me with intermittent mystery issues from cables that are ever so slightly not fully engaged.

Even with screws you can have these mystery issues, they had very flexible monitor stands at the public computers of my last job and people always twisted and turned them so much the cable would eventually become disengaged.
I never got the other librarians to reach behind the monitor and check the cable before they deemed the computer broken and put on an out of order sign. :argh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

No, I'm still here.

We ...

Um.....

Ah, the Ostrich approach to tech support.

:psyduck:

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Hm, yes, I'm sure they will prefer to find out when they NEED the backup, rather than now. They're sure to be on your side then!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

No, I'm still here.

We ...

Um.....

That's bad. Really bad.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Make sure CYA efforts are in full swing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

If there isn't an actual disaster recovery event going on right now, this isn't even that difficult of a thing to tell your client about.

"welp looks like a backup is hosed, we have better, stronger backups but that one is gone lol"

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If there isn't an actual disaster recovery event going on right now, this isn't even that difficult of a thing to tell your client about.

"welp looks like a backup is hosed, we have better, stronger backups but that one is gone lol"

Unless these are archives, intentional or not. How many requests are there a month for "trying to find a file, I know I had it in May of 2011."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Two things. One, I don't think they do have better backups -- wasn't this all of the backups? Two, it's a law firm. They are probably legally required to keep records for a specified amount of time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

guppy posted:

Two things. One, I don't think they do have better backups -- wasn't this all of the backups? Two, it's a law firm. They are probably legally required to keep records for a specified amount of time.

Yeah, this. There's probably a massive liability issue here.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Was this the issue with some storage company taking ownership of/deleting your data once you cancelled a contract? Maybe they still have it. Or blame them :toot:

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 30, 2014

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Roargasm posted:

Maybe they still have it. And blame you :yotj:

Fixed.

J
Jun 10, 2001

No, I'm still here.

We ...

Um.....

I figured that situation was going to get worse, but not for THAT reason. :suspense:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

No, I'm still here.

We ...

Um.....

what is malpractice

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

how is lawsuit formed

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
they need to do way instain bckup software> who kill their bckups. becuse these bckups cant frigth back?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:w-hat:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
i am truley sorry for your lots

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So do you think that this law firm is going to sue Billy's employer directly, or will they hire a third party to sue them into dust?

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
All depends on what the focus of the law firm is, tbh.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

The decision to tell the client or not was made way above my head, and for me to blow the whistle would result in my immediate termination. I got one kid with a second on the way, and I know for a fact I will not find another job doing what I do and making what I make.
But yeah. It is the "Hope they don't ask for backups older than a month.

We racked and fired up a Datto the day the Zenith BDR got pulled, so they do have backups, just not going back more than a month.

Since this law firm is used to keeping everything and never deleting anything, most of our restores for them are usually the "restore something accidentally deleted within the last day" variety.

I don't agree with the decision, it is unethical, immoral, and short sighted. Everything I did is documented to hell and back, and my team lead witnessed what I did and has my back 110%.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You better hope no one gets fired and then is pissed off enough to blow the whistle.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Anonymous email?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The decision to tell the client or not was made way above my head, and for me to blow the whistle would result in my immediate termination. I got one kid with a second on the way, and I know for a fact I will not find another job doing what I do and making what I make.

We racked and fired up a Datto the day the Zenith BDR got pulled, so they do have backups, just not going back more than a month.

Since this law firm is used to keeping everything and never deleting anything, most of our restores for them are usually the "restore something accidentally deleted within the last day" variety.

I don't agree with the decision, it is unethical, immoral, and short sighted. Everything I did is documented to hell and back, and my team lead witnessed what I did and has my back 110%.

You are looking for a new job, right? Because they will find out and when they do your employer is very hosed.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Also, make sure you have a cover your rear end folder of documentation and a write up of your point of view backed up to a couple places. I assume you've done most if this, but it doesn't hurt to have a contemporaneous journal of poo poo as it goes down, instead of having to go off of memory when it all blows up.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
And stop talking about this on the Internet!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Imagine that I posted some kind of 'holy poo poo' macro or gif here.

Because, just wow.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

jim truds posted:

You are looking for a new job, right? Because they will find out and when they do your employer is very hosed.

He made his bed let him sleep in it

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Like gently caress there's no SOX control related to this. Especially if you're working for a public corporation. What a slimy loving company why aren't you looking for a new job yesterday and blow the loving whistle, hard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't really know what situation Billy the Mountain is in, but it's not always that simple to throw a job in and get another one. I'm sure if it was then :yotj: would have occurred before this point.

Yes it sucks, but what sucks more is not having that income.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't really know what situation Billy the Mountain is in, but it's not always that simple to throw a job in and get another one. I'm sure if it was then :yotj: would have occurred before this point.

Yes it sucks, but what sucks more is not having that income.

There weren't any posts that said quit on the spot or get yourself fired, but to be complacent in this is not only going to be a bad decision for your career, but also one for your mental health.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

If your company was handling backups, couldn't they theoretically have original data somewhere at their facility that you could then re-backup? At least going back some amount of time. I have no idea how law firms work, I'm picturing giant boxes of old papers scanned and then shredded because HEY WE HAVE BACKUPS.

But that only helps if you, you know, loving tell them their backups are gone.

No seriously, start poking around for new jobs.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Even with a CYA paper trail if you wilfully hide something you can still do jail time when it involves legal matters depending on context. At the minimum you should be consulting a good lawyer about your liability while spending every waking moment looking for a new job. No way in hell your bosses are going to cover your back when the lawyer-clients turn on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Verizian posted:

Even with a CYA paper trail if you wilfully hide something you can still do jail time when it involves legal matters depending on context. At the minimum you should be consulting a good lawyer about your liability while spending every waking moment looking for a new job. No way in hell your bosses are going to cover your back when the lawyer-clients turn on them.

This is the dumbest thing to be said in this thread in a long time. Joe blow IT guy is not going to face jailtime in this situation and its incredibly dumb to say otherwise. Jesus Christ, some of you sensationalize poo poo so much its embarrassing.

• Locked thread