Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Since I resubbed to PS+ again I've got RE5 back and I'm about to give it a go with a pubbie, bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Poison Jam posted:

Since I resubbed to PS+ again I've got RE5 back and I'm about to give it a go with a pubbie, bad idea?

Anyone who is still playing RE5 at this point is probably armed with infinite ammo magnums and has mastered all the mechanics.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
I hope so because I'm basically clueless when it comes to 5 so I hope whatever pubbie joins can put up with me not being good at the game :).

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone who is still playing RE5 at this point is probably armed with infinite ammo magnums and has mastered all the mechanics.

I raise my hand halfway. I know all about RE5, but I don't blast everything with infinite ammo guns and rockets unless I need to get somewhere like the Wesker fights. Melee or Bust.

Also playing with pubbies on RE5 in my experience isn't nearly as bad as with RE6. The latter I have some serious horror stories. Also what I say about RE5 probably doesn't jive with the pubbies still playing it now and you are going to suffer greatly when they abandon you for no reason and try to do co-op actions surrounded by enemies.

edit: if you're serious about playing RE5, I'm there on PS3. Lunethex

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 30, 2014

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
OK I'm just going to play with the AI instead then. I'd rather not be abandoned because I suck.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never actually finished Resi 5 and hate the AI so if you want someone else who sucks to play with give me a shout. I'm in the UK, but I sleep weird hours. :v: PSN: DeathShiki

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Is Dead Aim any good?

Disclaimer: I liked Survivor on the PS1

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dead Aim is terrible but if you liked Survivor then, yes, it's better than that.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
As a big fan of lightgun games, Dead Aim is one of the best. I never played Survivor, though, so I can't say how it measures up to that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
All this talk about Dead Aim makes me wish I had both a Wii and someone to co-op Umbrella Chronicles with. That game looks awesome. I'm tempted just to watch an LP.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I found Umbrella Chronicles to be pretty boring and not that great, but the Darkside Chronicles is surprisingly fun. They are pretty much the same game, but the first one feels a bit less polished.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

All this talk about Dead Aim makes me wish I had both a Wii and someone to co-op Umbrella Chronicles with. That game looks awesome. I'm tempted just to watch an LP.

Those games were so much fun. Maybe you can find a video store that rents systems, or just pick up a cheap Wii. Watch the LP as a last resort. Unlike most Resident evils that are great spectator games, Umbrella Chronicles you really need to be hands on with.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Oh poo poo, when Leon is using the wing shooters, he can multi-quick-shot everybody around him for only one block of stamina.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dead Aim is like the Tommy Wiseau's The Room of video games. It's absolutely horrible, but everyone should definitely play it once.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Those games were so much fun. Maybe you can find a video store that rents systems, or just pick up a cheap Wii. Watch the LP as a last resort. Unlike most Resident evils that are great spectator games, Umbrella Chronicles you really need to be hands on with.

Do any of the LPs go for a 100% collection rate?

I swear I've shot every goddamn breakable in of those games and still I missed almost half of all the collectibles and files.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

abagofcheetos posted:

I found Umbrella Chronicles to be pretty boring and not that great, but the Darkside Chronicles is surprisingly fun. They are pretty much the same game, but the first one feels a bit less polished.

Just for the sake of providing a contrary opinion, I really really enjoyed Umbrella Chronicles, dumped like 20 hours into it and I still think it's one of the best lightgun games ever made but thought Darkside Chronicles was really meh and the main issue I took with Darkside was the camera was extremely jittery compared to Umbrella which made the all important critical hits way harder to land. Like seriously, look up some gameplay footage and observe how much more frantic the drat camera is in Darkside, it really killed the game for me because it no longer felt like a game of carefully placed headshots to get good scores but one of frantic slapdash button mashing.

Played both games through with a friend and the feeling was entirely mutual. Neither is really bad though since they're similar enough, both are pretty cheap these days so you might as well just get both and see which you prefer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Just for the sake of providing a contrary opinion, I really really enjoyed Umbrella Chronicles, dumped like 20 hours into it and I still think it's one of the best lightgun games ever made but thought Darkside Chronicles was really meh and the main issue I took with Darkside was the camera was extremely jittery compared to Umbrella which made the all important critical hits way harder to land. Like seriously, look up some gameplay footage and observe how much more frantic the drat camera is in Darkside, it really killed the game for me because it no longer felt like a game of carefully placed headshots to get good scores but one of frantic slapdash button mashing.

Played both games through with a friend and the feeling was entirely mutual. Neither is really bad though since they're similar enough, both are pretty cheap these days so you might as well just get both and see which you prefer.

This is my feeling too. Umbrella Chronicles was a lot better made.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Also it has less content overall but y'all chronicles should get Dead Space: Extraction on the Wii/PS3 also.

abagofcheetos posted:

The PS3 ports are really good if you have one, the Move controllers/etc. are really cheap.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The other massive, MASSIVE flaw with Darkside Chronicles (apart from the shakycam) is that unlike UC, most of the cutscenes are in-game as opposed to rendered videos; this means is that nearly every level has massive chunks of non-gameplay wandering that you can't skip or speed up in any way. Considering the game is all about replaying levels to get better ranks and find items, this is really excruciating because a level with almost no enemies can take up to 20 minutes to clear.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone ever have an issue where a friend can't connect to Mercenaries No Mercy? They can connect to regular mercenaries, and can play no mercy single player, but just can't connect- sometimes they get a failure message, or the game outright crashes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

The other massive, MASSIVE flaw with Darkside Chronicles (apart from the shakycam) is that unlike UC, most of the cutscenes are in-game as opposed to rendered videos; this means is that nearly every level has massive chunks of non-gameplay wandering that you can't skip or speed up in any way. Considering the game is all about replaying levels to get better ranks and find items, this is really excruciating because a level with almost no enemies can take up to 20 minutes to clear.

I wonder if this is because they had to use many more original assets for the game than wish Umbrella Chronicles (which reused many of the textures, models/etc. from REmake and RE0) so they wanted to get the most out of them.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The progress on that remake of Resident Evil 2 in the loving Doom engine is coming along nicely.

Meanwhile, Sims 4 can't have pools or basements because of engine limitations.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The thing that drove me nuts about Umbra Chronicles are the semi-quicktime events, when you have to push a button prompt to dodge an enemy attack. As I recall some of the later bosses straight up spam them, and you automatically succeed if you just basically do everything at once. So some of the latter boss fights wind up consisting roughly half of their duration with you simultaneously tapping every button on the wiimote and waving it wildly. It's not very interesting.

The Darkside Chronicles, yeah. That felt a lot more polished to me, too, and the weapon upgrade mechanics felt much better - I vaguely recall something about mission performance rating governing your upgrade capability in Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles just using a straight-up money system which was much less frustrating. UC was okay, DC was genuinely good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meanwhile, Sims 4 can't have pools or basements because of engine limitations.

Wait, they seriously removed pools from Sims 4?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, they seriously removed pools from Sims 4?

Their engine is so limited that Sims cannot exist on two different height levels on the same floor. They must be on a flat surface. A staircase is just an animation that brings you from one flat surface to another (kind of like Resident Evil!).

I'm sure that Sims 4 in the Doom Engine would not have such limitations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Backhand posted:

The thing that drove me nuts about Umbra Chronicles are the semi-quicktime events, when you have to push a button prompt to dodge an enemy attack. As I recall some of the later bosses straight up spam them, and you automatically succeed if you just basically do everything at once. So some of the latter boss fights wind up consisting roughly half of their duration with you simultaneously tapping every button on the wiimote and waving it wildly. It's not very interesting.

The Darkside Chronicles, yeah. That felt a lot more polished to me, too, and the weapon upgrade mechanics felt much better - I vaguely recall something about mission performance rating governing your upgrade capability in Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles just using a straight-up money system which was much less frustrating. UC was okay, DC was genuinely good.

In UC you got stars at the end of a mission, with more stars for better ranks. You could then spend them on upgrades, but each weapon only had one upgrade at a time. So you'd get the shotgun to level 2, which increased the reload speed, and then you could take it to level 3, which increased the ammo capacity and so on. Normally they only went up to level 4. However, if you got S ranks on every mission on hard, you could then upgrade them to 5, which gave infinite ammo.

It was pretty primitive – especially since you couldn't upgrade the handgun, which is what you'd be using 90% of the time anyway. Since you could only take one secondary weapon with you when you started a level, you either had to choose between bringing along your flashy magnum/grenade launcher (which came with six bullets if you were lucky), or your dependable but boring shotgun or machine gun.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Their engine is so limited that Sims cannot exist on two different height levels on the same floor. They must be on a flat surface. A staircase is just an animation that brings you from one flat surface to another (kind of like Resident Evil!).

I'm sure that Sims 4 in the Doom Engine would not have such limitations.

Actually thats pretty much the biggest limitation of the Doom engine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Actually thats pretty much the biggest limitation of the Doom engine.

You can actually cheat this in the Doom engine though with lots of teleporters/turning off the visual/sound effects for the teleporters (so visually it looks like you've walked around and "above" an area when you're actually in a different place, sort of similar to the way "reflections" are done in Metal Gear Solid and Duke Nukem Forever) but it's generally not worth the effort. I will always feel like a god though for figuring out how to make it look like you're walking under water and the optical illusion of having smooth ramps by myself as a kid.

No room over room in Sims is insane to me though. I mean King's Field (early 1995!) is fully 3D and does that.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 31, 2014

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Resident Evil Revelations 2 is due for 2015, but we don't know much else. They released this concept trailer with a few key things in it! If you watch it enough times I guess you'll figure out some stuff.

The foremost obvious one being a guy wearing a TerraSave shirt.

My ideas:

Judging by the picture in the background, probably another boat. However, there was the concept art when this was leaked showing a maximum security prison of some sort, and at the halfway point you see guards in a cell-block area. So, there might be instances of both these things.

The colored wristbands are probably vital sign monitors. They turn red when the person is zombified/infected, possibly they carry the the infection and forcefully inject when controlled!

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 1, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Resident Evil Revelations 2 is due for 2015, but we don't know much else. They released this concept trailer with a few key things in it! If you watch it enough times I guess you'll figure out some stuff.

The foremost obvious one being a guy wearing a TerraSave shirt.

They also mentioned it would be an entirely new cast this time, if I recall.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

That was a rumor when the leak happened. Judging by TerraSave being mentioned (Capcom bringing up old stuff?!?! What madness is that?) I wonder what other surprises will be there. I consider Revelations as the game following the origins and rise of the BSAA but if this has no connection to Chris and Jill's 'between RE4 and RE5' antics then I'm definitely interested.

(Wesker please)

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Let Wesker go.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunethex posted:

That was a rumor when the leak happened. Judging by TerraSave being mentioned (Capcom bringing up old stuff?!?! What madness is that?) I wonder what other surprises will be there. I consider Revelations as the game following the origins and rise of the BSAA but if this has no connection to Chris and Jill's 'between RE4 and RE5' antics then I'm definitely interested.

(Wesker please)

Well, they said it in the Sony press conference where they revealed it too. (Although the translation was so bad it's possible it was misunderstood.)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well, they said it in the Sony press conference where they revealed it too. (Although the translation was so bad it's possible it was misunderstood.)

Oh, if that's the case you've got me there, since I've not been watching TGS.

I...I can't...:shepicide:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

We fired rocket launchers at Wesker in a volcano.

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

gaping gape gaper posted:

We fired rocket launchers at Wesker in a volcano.

Which blew off his head!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Well, apparently Billy and Rebecca aren't part of the 3 playable characters so alongside Claire we've got two other returning cast members who haven't been playable in a mainline game for over a decade.

oh god it's steve

(or carlos??)

Lunethex posted:

stuff

I forgot to mention a long rear end time ago but I actually found another unique melee animation in RE6 and it's for the Ubvisto/Chainsaw guy.

With Jake/Sherry when you encounter him in the locked door section if you damage him enough and stun him you can do this:
http://gfycat.com/AnchoredFortunateHawk
(linked because the gif is normally 8 megs and it's 1 on gfy)

I'm almost certain there's a fuckload of unique melee animations in the campaign but I can't be assed to check because I loathe RE6's campaign.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 1, 2014

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Oh man so now I finally have an excuse to force my RE buddy to watch the movies with me, if the new game has a tie-in to them. :getin:

Also what's the deets on what they said about it at TGS? Not about Chris/Jill, did they actually confirm Claire + 2 other returning characters or is it all going off the TerraSave shirt?

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
REmake HD trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjxFtFwY6jk

Looks fine to me, but the framerate seems a bit iffy. Could just be the video though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dol posted:

Which blew off his head!

Meh, it took a lot more to stop Nemesis after his head kind of falls off.