Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nexus 5, Xposed, GravityBox and XGELS, otherwise stock and not running anything like Greenify. It just started happening a few days ago. I can click the widgets fine and get to the apps, but battery percentages, temperatures, messages and the like won't update until I reboot.

And thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ariza posted:

Why does everyone on this site get so mad when people close apps or turn off GPS or WiFi? It's very odd.

People using task killers or things like Greenify will run into issues like apps misbehaving, their phone seeming slower, and/or their battery life taking a nosedive. You get poo poo like:

"I noticed Dropbox was keeping my phone awake so I revoked that permission. A+ works great. Any ideas why my photo uploads aren't working now, though?"

"Android system was always using tons of battery, so I had my task killer kill it. For some reason, my phone isn't working now."

And widgets breaking, home screen redraws, etc.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I thought the idea with Greenify was you pick and choose what things should be hibernated.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Your phone knows what should be turned off to save its own battery. This isn't 2010.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cojawfee posted:

Your phone knows what should be turned off to save its own battery. This isn't 2010.

And more importantly, apps don't get board and use tons of battery for fun. Either the app is broken and should be uninstalled, or it's DOING something and stopping it will break that something.

Basically, if they had the knowhow to avoid breaking stuff they wouldn't be using greenify in the first place because it inherently breaks stuff.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Any idea why I can't pull down my notification bar when the screen is locked, but it works perfectly fine otherwise?

I am using Android version 4.0.4.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

Nexus 5, Xposed, GravityBox and XGELS, otherwise stock and not running anything like Greenify. It just started happening a few days ago. I can click the widgets fine and get to the apps, but battery percentages, temperatures, messages and the like won't update until I reboot.

And thanks!
I still think it's the launcher running out of memory but I don't know enough about the GEL to make a guess as to why. Of course it could be something else that's changed that is now taking the memory it used to use.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

And more importantly, apps don't get board and use tons of battery for fun. Either the app is broken and should be uninstalled, or it's DOING something and stopping it will break that something.

Basically, if they had the knowhow to avoid breaking stuff they wouldn't be using greenify in the first place because it inherently breaks stuff.
Well put. The whole point of Greenify is to break things, it's the whole raison d'être.

vandelay industries posted:

Any idea why I can't pull down my notification bar when the screen is locked, but it works perfectly fine otherwise?

I am using Android version 4.0.4.
Do you have a secure lockscreen?

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

LastInLine posted:

Do you have a secure lockscreen?

Unfortunately, no. Just double checked.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Unfortunately, no. Just double checked.
Well everything I could find says what I thought, that as long as you use slide to unlock then the notification shade should work on the lockscreen. I found one account of someone saying they couldn't do it on Ice Cream Sandwich with slide to unlock but no solution or details about the device in the post.

What device is still on 4.0.4 in late 2014 though?

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

LastInLine posted:

Well everything I could find says what I thought, that as long as you use slide to unlock then the notification shade should work on the lockscreen. I found one account of someone saying they couldn't do it on Ice Cream Sandwich with slide to unlock but no solution or details about the device in the post.

What device is still on 4.0.4 in late 2014 though?

Well that's too bad!

I am using a Galaxy Note 1

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ariza posted:

Why does everyone on this site get so mad when people close apps or turn off GPS or WiFi? It's very odd.
It's not odd at all. If you think so you haven't been watching humans for very long.

If people do get mad (I don't think they do generally. People misinterpret people who disagree with them. ), it's a combination of things.

• Misdirected anger that app developers are taking advantage of users who don't know better.
  • A history of users over the past decade or more who "tweak" their operating systems unnecessarily and then act like they're some power user.
  • A not insignificant portion of support requests come from people who mess with this crap.
  • Misdirected anger over Verizon reps actually recommending people break their phone by installing task killers.
  • The same reason a wine connoisseur might be perturbed you drink the wrong wine, or a car enthusiast might be perturbed you painted your Veyron in a Hello Kitty theme.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I would drive a Hello Kitty Veyron, gently caress the haters.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LastInLine posted:

I still think it's the launcher running out of memory but I don't know enough about the GEL to make a guess as to why. Of course it could be something else that's changed that is now taking the memory it used to use.

How would I check this?

I'm not running a billion apps, either, just a small handful that get regular use. I think the most demanding thing is Hitman Go, but that just seems to eat battery very fast.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

How would I check this?

I'm not running a billion apps, either, just a small handful that get regular use. I think the most demanding thing is Hitman Go, but that just seems to eat battery very fast.
I have no idea, I haven't seen this happen since the very early days of Launcher Pro on Froyo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ariza posted:

If an app needs to be force closed on a regular basis, you either should uninstall it or you shouldn't be force closing it. It is similarly silly to turn off GPS and Wifi, as there will be minimal if any actual battery life improvement from doing so unless you're running apps that insist on trying to access GPS location or wifi info constantly - which is again a situation where you probably shouldn't have that app.

SplitSoul posted:

How would I check this?

What happens if you try to use a different launcher with the same widgets set up? If it still happens there we can at least rule out it being the GEL's fault.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Ugh, so I tried to root my Note 1 (rogers) to put a new ROM on it. Followed the directions perfectly in Odin, and now it hangs on the Samsung logo splash screen. I can get into Download mode and can Factory reset option (which I tried, but didn't fix). Google brings me to a bunch of pages that doesn't do much help.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ugh, so I tried to root my Note 1 (rogers) to put a new ROM on it. Followed the directions perfectly in Odin, and now it hangs on the Samsung logo splash screen. I can get into Download mode and can Factory reset option (which I tried, but didn't fix). Google brings me to a bunch of pages that doesn't do much help.
This is a question for the root thread.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

LastInLine posted:

This is a question for the root thread.

Oops. Will go there, thanks

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Out of nowhere Nine is draining the poo poo out of my battery on my Moto X. I turned push off but can't see any other options that would have the keep awake so high. Any thoughts on troubleshooting? I stopped the app and started back up to see if there was something rogue running but it was behaving well before.

No, no root.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can someone please help me decide between Talon and Fenix? Talon is half the price so I'm leaning towards that but they both seem very similar.

What are the chances of Twitter locking either out with their stupid token system?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Can someone please help me decide between Talon and Fenix? Talon is half the price so I'm leaning towards that but they both seem very similar.

What are the chances of Twitter locking either out with their stupid token system?

I can't speak for Talon, but Fenix is really, really good and I'd highly recommend it.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Is there an App that compares prices on an item (specifically groceries, but it could also be useful for other products) at regional/national chains? I have a bunch of grocery stores within a mile of each other that tend to run pretty good sales and I'd like to be able to enter an item (or, even better, scan a barcode) and know where it's cheapest to buy each item.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

SplitSoul posted:

How would I check this?

I had the same issue of widgets locking up when using action launcher. It would happen about once a day and Id have to reset my phone.

I went back to Nova and the problem went away.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Is there an app that:

1. Reads the serial number from any ol' NFC tag: rewritable tags, passports, transit cards, Disney tickets, whatever
  2. Jam the serial in a REST request to a configured server
  3. Make the little chime noise but probably not fire up the browser

It looks like there are a few that can read just the serial number, but they make you set the events on the phone when I really just want to send the serial to the server and let that figure it out.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is there an app that:

1. Reads the serial number from any ol' NFC tag: rewritable tags, passports, transit cards, Disney tickets, whatever
  2. Jam the serial in a REST request to a configured server
  3. Make the little chime noise but probably not fire up the browser

It looks like there are a few that can read just the serial number, but they make you set the events on the phone when I really just want to send the serial to the server and let that figure it out.

This is a little unclear.

Why is a server involved? From your description, it looks like an app that chimes when an NFC tag is read, regardless of the serial.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Am I crazy or couldn't the Drive app open pdf at some point? Barring that, what do you guys use to view pdf?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

This is a little unclear.

Why is a server involved? From your description, it looks like an app that chimes when an NFC tag is read, regardless of the serial.

The server will do things (lights, a/c, etc.), and let the phone be a dumb terminal without having to configure all the things on the phone.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Is there a volume booster that works? When I'm mowing the yard I can't listen to half my audio books/pod casts because I can't turn the volume up. Also, I am sick of the popup that makes me say OK when I'm maxing the volume with headphones plugged in, anyone know of a way to disable that?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

XIII posted:

Am I crazy or couldn't the Drive app open pdf at some point? Barring that, what do you guys use to view pdf?

Adobe Reader.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Adobe Reader.

Kingsoft Office (or whatever it's called now, WPS something) also handles them pretty well. So does Polaris.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

porktree posted:

Is there a volume booster that works? When I'm mowing the yard I can't listen to half my audio books/pod casts because I can't turn the volume up. Also, I am sick of the popup that makes me say OK when I'm maxing the volume with headphones plugged in, anyone know of a way to disable that?
I think gravity box can disable the latter, but you have to be rooted and running Xposed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

It definitely used to.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Can anyone recommend a good RDP client please?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.rdc.android

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm looking for a backup app that allows backups to dropbox as well as external storage. I dl'd helium, but afaik it needs access to a pc, and I don't have one at the moment.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

midnightclimax posted:

I'm looking for a backup app that allows backups to dropbox as well as external storage. I dl'd helium, but afaik it needs access to a pc, and I don't have one at the moment.
It's not like you have more than two choices. You can use Helium or Titanium.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

midnightclimax posted:

I dl'd helium, but afaik it needs access to a pc, and I don't have one at the moment.
If you're not rooted you need a PC to setup the ADB daemon once after a reboot and then it works forever.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Aha ok. Guess I'll ask around and see if I can find one.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Is there any way to fix Tasker not recognizing root? Google didn't have any working solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

this little bastard posted:

Is there any way to fix Tasker not recognizing root? Google didn't have any working solutions.
Do you actually have root? Do other root apps work? What does the log in your superuser app say? Why isn't this in the root thread?

• Locked thread