Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Man, why did it take me this long to notice that the RFID thingummy on the CENTINEL ID cards has the big W in it? I love all the little details they work in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Tupperwarez posted:

Man, why did it take me this long to notice that the RFID thingummy on the CENTINEL ID cards has the big W in it? I love all the little details they work in.

More things I only recently noticed: The blue streak of hair on Wonder Blue is a W.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Emperordaein posted:

Actually, according to the Tales of the Abyss LP thread, Yuri Lowell was actually named after Yuri Lowenthal after his performance as that game's protagonist.

Yeah, the Japanese developers loved his English performance on Tales of the Abyss they named the main character of the next game after him, not realizing that they either couldn't or wouldn't cast Yuri Lowenthal again. I can't find the you-tube video here but apparently the casting director called him up and the conversation went something like this.

"Hi Yuri, I'm sorry but we can't cast you in the next Tales game."
"Uhh. Okay but I wasn't expecting to be."
"Well the main character is named Yuri Lowell."
"Oh...."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, the Japanese developers loved his English performance on Tales of the Abyss they named the main character of the next game after him, not realizing that they either couldn't or wouldn't cast Yuri Lowenthal again. I can't find the you-tube video here but apparently the casting director called him up and the conversation went something like this.

"Hi Yuri, I'm sorry but we can't cast you in the next Tales game."
"Uhh. Okay but I wasn't expecting to be."
"Well the main character is named Yuri Lowell."
"Oh...."

Troy Baker's performance was the entire reason for Yuri's appeal so thank God they didn't cast Lowenthal in that role. Dude's got a voice like steel wool.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Wonder-Sailor's name is a reference to Magellan (whose actual name was Fernão de Magalhães) and I think Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean except with the name spelt like it is in Portuguese.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Wonder Sailor has a lash. All we need now is Wonder-Rum, and im pretty sure the third isnt going to show up in this game.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Rena posted:

Wonder Sister is a pretty clear multi leveled reference to the Arc System Works fighting series Guilty Gear.

Except it's not at all? Some of these "references" are getting a bit out of hand. I thought I was bad for mentioning that White's claws are red and blue.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Oooh, are we still spelling out every reference? Well the Japanese character on Wonder White's head is the character for hundred!!!! :eng101:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
And I am SO glad those snake guys (no Revengeance comment on the chainsaw tails) don't attack in pairs of 3, 4 or more!

(Seriously, awesome update!)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'd put my money on Wonder Sister being a Chono Crusade reference; Chono Crusade seems like the kind of anime that would be referenced in this game.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 1, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Samizdata posted:

pairs of 3

Yeah, I can see how that would be difficult and confusing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Neruz posted:

I'd put my money on Wonder Sister being a Chrono Cross reference; Chrono Cross seems like the kind of anime that would be referenced in this game.
I think you got the wrong Chrono there.

Although, I could certainly believe that there are Gun Nuns in Chrono Cross.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nihilarian posted:

I think you got the wrong Chrono there.

Although, I could certainly believe that there are Gun Nuns in Chrono Cross.

Uh, yeah I meant Chono Crusade :v:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah, I can see how that would be difficult and confusing.

I think the comment you quoted was a nitpick on how "pairs of 2" was said in the video.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Minor nitpick, but you left out the failure version of the QTE where Wonder-Blue slashes that pipe the even BDSM/Dog lover drops on the group. :v:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
He mentioned on Twitter that the qte failures are gone for a bit since he's away from the console to record them.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

pun pundit posted:

I think the comment you quoted was a nitpick on how "pairs of 2" was said in the video.

It was, but intended to be in a nice teasing way.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
It never got brought up but Orowchee from way earlier in the game wasn't just an Okami reference; that was just its name.

It was almost exactly a boss from Bayonetta. Fortitudo, the giant two-headed dragon that looked identical.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
This update's Japanese stuff:

Hah-Gonay: as several people already pointed out, this is from 鋼 (hagane), steel.
Vijounne: probably from 美女 (bijo), meaning "beautiful woman" or 美純 (bijun), "beautiful and pure". Fun fact about Vijounne: you can bring a Geathjerk weapon into Blue's solo fight against her and it will actually one-shot her from full health! I know that this works at least with Dahkarts tails.
Momoe Byakkoin: Wonder White's first name, "Momoe" is written as 百恵, meaning "hundred wisdoms". His surname, "Byakkoin", is written as 百虎院 and is a combination of Byakko, the White Tiger of the West combined with 院 which usually means school/institute/temple etc. However, the Byakko in his name is written with the kanji for "hundred" (百, which is also what he has on his forehead), rather than "white" (白). So you could interpret his name as meaning something along the lines of "One hundred wisdoms from the school of one hundred white tigers".
Also, the kanji from the QTE before Vijounne is 断, which has a couple of meanings, but the relevant one here is "cut".

The lost continent of Mu was first proposed in the 1862 by French historian Charles Étienne Brasseur de Bourbourg, who claimed to have successfully translated ancient Mayan writings describing a sunken kingdom called "Mu", reminiscent of the myth of Atlantis. His works inspired British-American traveler and writer Augustus Le Plongeon, who conducted his own research into the matter and concluded that the continent of Mu was not only the original home of Mesoamerican civilizations but also of several other ancient cultures such as the Egyptians, who supposedly descended from Mu's ruler, Queen Moo, and revered her as the goddess Isis.

The idea of Mu didn't really take off until British-born writer and self-styled colonel James Churchward decided to follow up his previous works Fishing Among the 1,000 Islands of the St. Lawrence (1894) and A Big Game and Fishing Guide to Northeastern Maine (1897) by branching into cryptoarchaeology and authoring a series of eight books on the subject of Mu, starting in 1926. Churchward's version of Mu was supposedly derived from ancient Indian (as in India, not Native American) clay tablets and was located in the Pacific Ocean rather than the Atlantic, where previous writers had placed it. According to him, Mu is where humans first appeared on Earth, and it was ruled by a highly enlightened white (of course) race, whose descendants went on to found just about every notable ancient civilization, after their homeland was catastrophically destroyed in a single night by earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. To back up his claims, Churchward pointed out that many of these civilizations had used common imagery in their artwork, such as birds and the sun. Because what other reason could two unrelated people from opposite sides of the world possiby have to draw birds or the goddamn sun?

The concept of Mu wasn't particularly believable even when it was first published and modern science has debunked it entirely. While Atlantis has enough fame to have remained well-known to this day, Mu has more or less been forgotten entirely... in the west, at least. As it happens, it's actually far better known in Japan than in the countries where it was fabricated.

On August 7th, 1932, Japanese newspapaper Sunday Mainichi published an article titled "Opening the door to the secrets of the lost Pacific continent Mu". This was the first time Mu was introduced to the Japanese public and it seems to have made an impact, probably because the supposed continent's proximity to Japan. Three years later, one Takeuchi Kiyomaro discovered a 1900-year-old collection of texts known today as the "Takeuchi Documents". These documents described not one but two lost continents in the Pacific, Miyoi and Tamiara, where five different colors of people had been ruled by the "golden humans". Apparently some nationalist groups took a liking to the documents, as the descendants of the golden humans were, of course, the Japanese Imperial family, who therefore were the rightful rulers of the entire world. Other truths gleamed from this undoubtedly authentic ancient relic are, for instance, the fact that the real name of Jesus Christ was actually "Isuchris Christmas" and that he's buried in Aomori, Japan (there was a mixup at Golgotha and they crucified his younger brother instead). Anyway, Mu remains relevant to this day in Japanese occult and pseudoscience circles, and especially in popular culture. You still occasionally get some crackpot who actually thinks that the Japanese originated from a lost continent in the Pacific, but the most likely place to hear the name "Mu" these days is in an anime or a video game, and it shows up even in some pretty mainstream stuff like Doraemon. And really, it makes sense: Atlantis is all over western pop culture as the mythical homeland of western civilization, Mu basically gives the Japanese an equivalent.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Mu was in Rahxephon as well, which was big on Mesoamerican references.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

More things I only recently noticed: The blue streak of hair on Wonder Blue is a W.
As is the logo for the Virgin Victory.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Queen Moo, revered as Isis? And here I would've guessed Hathor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Mu was in Rahxephon as well, which was big on Mesoamerican references.

Mu was in Rahxephon because Rahxephon is a thinly-veiled update of Brave Raideen where the protagonist is a descendant of the ancient people of Mu.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

As is the logo for the Virgin Victory.

As is the Virgin Victory itself.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hooray, there are Unite Claws! Was hoping somebody would use those. I quite like Wonder White so far.

Also I like that that pink lady ended up just helping you. Gets your dudes to stop fighting each other, blasts open the door, gets lost.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

McDragon posted:

Hooray, there are Unite Claws! Was hoping somebody would use those. I quite like Wonder White so far.

Also I like that that pink lady ended up just helping you. Gets your dudes to stop fighting each other, blasts open the door, gets lost.

I get the feeling that all the Wonderful Colors are legacy titles. The general is the old Red, his assistant is the old Blue, and now we've met the old Pink.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Has Chip mentioned what the colored circles mean when the enemy teleport in? Now that we have a good amount of Unite Morphs it might be time to talk about it if it hasen't been mentioned before.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I took Wonder-White to be a Wolverine reference. Claws, Japan, etc.

eh

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Has Chip mentioned what the colored circles mean when the enemy teleport in? Now that we have a good amount of Unite Morphs it might be time to talk about it if it hasen't been mentioned before.

He has, I believe.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Special request to chip. Tag in armor and never tag him out. He's my favorite!

Edit: I'm 100% serious on this. He's so great.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I get the feeling that all the Wonderful Colors are legacy titles. The general is the old Red, his assistant is the old Blue, and now we've met the old Pink.

Mysterious hepler's appearance and general aesthetic looks more like all the alien stuff we've seen than anything, so I'm pretty sure she's some kind of defector or otherwise non-GETHJERK affiliated alien here to help us out.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Opposing Farce posted:

Mysterious hepler's appearance and general aesthetic looks more like all the alien stuff we've seen than anything, so I'm pretty sure she's some kind of defector or otherwise non-GETHJERK affiliated alien here to help us out.

I'm not so sure about that. All of the GEATHJERK affiliates we've seen so far have been quite obviously alien. The mysterious woman is, by all appearances, human.

I like how each of the wonderful ones have a different reaction to Vijounne, to foreshadow the infighting she would cause. Makes me wonder what Blue has against her in particular. Did the earlier Kahkoo-Regaah in which you fought a bunch of little dough-goos and one of the big ones with just Wonder-Red also use the special one-on-one controls?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
She's got pink skin and a black and red spaceship. Gonna take a wild guess and say she has something to do with Vorkken.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Hellioning posted:

He has, I believe.

What was it? I missed it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DoctorWhat posted:

What was it? I missed it.

If you defeat those enemies with the unite morph that matches the ring's color, they'll drop some body part that you can pick up and use to kill their friends.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you defeat those enemies with the unite morph that matches the ring's color, they'll drop some body part that you can pick up and use to kill their friends.

Oh! So that's the rhyme and reason.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Is there not a failure cutscene for the Metal Gear Rising QTE?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Is there not a failure cutscene for the Metal Gear Rising QTE?

Chip doesn't have access to his console right now so the failure cutscenes will come later. It's in the description of the first video.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Benach posted:

Whenever I see Wonder Sister I keep thinking of Anonym from Akatsuki Blitzkampf. Because I don't know of other nuns with guns.

I lean more toward her being a reference to Abel Ferrara's Ms. 45

Also, Wonder Pirate is a direct reference to John Rackham aka Calico Jack One of the names that pops up when discussing the "golden age of piracy" and also known for his jolly roger (pirate flag) of a skull and crossed swords. Wonder Pirate is from La Havana, same place where a lot of pirate activity happened.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also Chip, I can't check myself but if I remember right Wonder Sister has her own taunts and voice clips as do a few other wonderful ones

If my memories not bunk will you be showing that off?

• Locked thread