Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Egomane you retard if PGI doesn't want people TKing then they should disable friendly fire. Or would putting that in cause the game code to come alive and kill Paul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
There has to be no option to disable friendly fire so that I can have a trebuchet wander in front of me while I'm zoomed in shooting a ridge missileboat, take two gauss and four lasers to the back, and report me

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

I cracked up at the X-files bit, it's pretty funny overall to see him pulling this stuff off.

Kavros posted:

There has to be no option to disable friendly fire so that I can have a trebuchet wander in front of me while I'm zoomed in shooting a ridge missileboat, take two gauss and four lasers to the back, and report me

I take full responsibility for team damage from me stepping where I shouldn't, but there a re a lot of pubbies who will zerg so hard on a target that they don't even care that you are and have been in front of them. I'll ignore that once maybe twice but I have unashamedly TKed a lot of people over that poo poo.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Haa, yeah. This is more about when people just ram their butt against, like, a highlander which is red hot from constantly firing in place.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I run lights and often run across friendly lasers while doing evasive action poo poo or whatever, but I hardly ever complain about it unless I get like double cored by uacs or whatever. I know I put myself in situations where I get shot and that's okay. Similarly sometimes I sweep friendlies while flying past behind them in a blind panic. This, too, I never mention, except when I kill someone, in which case if it's a goon I gloat and call them weak.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Ditto re: accidental fire. The only poo poo that actually gets to me is when I'm peeking out of a corner or something, usually to alpha someone, and I can't back up because some mouth-breathing retard is right behind me. And I turn around to see who this idiot is, and it's always some Jagermech or Hunchback and they're just like "waht". I've legged a couple folks that way.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Vorenus posted:

I can't be arsed to browse UI2.0 to look, so can someone tell me if it's possible to recreate the MW4 Daishi with 3 LBX-20s and 4 Medium lasers? I want to know because it was the best thing in MW4 for making things insta-melt and I'm certain it would be completely lovely in MWO.

That build is impossible in MWO. The Direwolf has fixed DHS and XL engines in both torsos, meaning that you only have enough room to mount 2, if you put one in each arm. Since MWO doesn't support location splitting for AC/20s, you have to fit the entire module in a single location. It's possible in TT battletech, but only barely. You'll have, at best each arm and one side torso completely full, with some spillover into either arm or the center torso.

You can make a pretty nasty fit with 2x LB-10x and 1x lb-20x Direwolf, though. You'll have plenty of tonnage left for ammo and lasers, and enough crit space to actually make a build that can last the whole match.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 2, 2014

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Ok so after logging in it seems that I have a truck load of unused MC and lots of space bux. People were really not kidding about the UI if anything it is worse than the old one the drat mechlab is :psyboom:

Which mechs do I want to be buying, I am assuming that Clan mechs are completely op for their weight class?

These are the IS mechs I already own 3 variants of: Atlas, Cataphract, Jenner, Hunchback and Awesome.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Might as well save all of that for clan mechs at this point. Maybe buy modules with the cbills.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Hoboskins posted:

Ok so after logging in it seems that I have a truck load of unused MC and lots of space bux. People were really not kidding about the UI if anything it is worse than the old one the drat mechlab is :psyboom:

Which mechs do I want to be buying, I am assuming that Clan mechs are completely op for their weight class?

These are the IS mechs I already own 3 variants of: Atlas, Cataphract, Jenner, Hunchback and Awesome.

Raven 3Ls are nice, mainly for 2x ER Large poking while under/providing ECM. The other two Ravens are a chore to basic/elite but once you do mannnn that 3L is cool. IIRC all the Phoenix mechs kinda suck except the Shadow Hawk which I hear is ok except the cockpit view is narrow, Victors are versatile but require an XL in a 90 ton mech so YMMV.

If you're going to go Clan get Stormcrows and Timber Wolves. Dire Wolves are good if you don't mind being outrun by a legged Atlas. That's about all I've got.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hoboskins posted:

Just buy a Mad Cat.

Also it's worth noting the Awesome is supposedly better now because it doesn't take as much heat from energy weapons. Which was one good change in a sea of poo poo.

A.o.D. posted:

That build is impossible in MWO. The Direwolf has fixed DHS and XL engines in both torsos, meaning that you only have enough room to mount 2, if you put one in each arm. Since MWO doesn't support location splitting for AC/20s, you have to fit the entire module in a single location. It's possible in TT battletech, but only barely. You'll have, at best each arm and one side torso completely full, with some spillover into either arm or the center torso.

You can make a pretty nasty fit with 2x LB-10x and 1x lb-20x Direwolf, though. You'll have plenty of tonnage left for ammo and lasers, and enough crit space to actually make a build that can last the whole match.

Counter-point you can make an even more ridiculous build of what, 4 Gauss and 2 PPCs I think it is? You can only fire two Gauss at once but still, Jesus.

Don't quote me on this though. I stopped playing shortly after the Clans and am mostly just spectating the disaster these days.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Just buy a Mad Cat.

Also it's worth noting the Awesome is supposedly better now because it doesn't take as much heat from energy weapons. Which was one good change in a sea of poo poo.

Counter-point you can make an even more ridiculous build of what, 4 Gauss and 2 PPCs I think it is? You can only fire two Gauss at once but still, Jesus.

Don't quote me on this though. I stopped playing shortly after the Clans and am mostly just spectating the disaster these days.

2 gauss, 2 ppc, huge targeting computer, loads of ammo and heatsinks. Its the bestest sniper, but you're completely defenseless in close.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I'm probably coming back to the game (have to splice my mic back together first) but I gotta ask - I have a Marmoset and three Atlases (F, DDC, and RS), I like being an assault pilot because I am bad at robots and being a zombie is the only way I can be of utility to the team. Is a Dire Wolf enough of an upgrade that I should get one?

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Remora posted:

I'm probably coming back to the game (have to splice my mic back together first) but I gotta ask - I have a Marmoset and three Atlases (F, DDC, and RS), I like being an assault pilot because I am bad at robots and being a zombie is the only way I can be of utility to the team. Is a Dire Wolf enough of an upgrade that I should get one?

Dire wolf would be a huge upgrade, but it's slow as gently caress. You can build pretty much anything, but you will get left behind by your team, and you will have trouble dodging things. If you're set on driving a whale, I recommend 2xLRM20s and 4xLPLs. The LRMs will give you something to shoot at before you can see the target. Target Deprivation is definitely good to have as well.

If you're going to buy a clan mech, I recommend grabbing a Timberwolf or a Warhawk. You can't really go wrong with the Timberwolf, though.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Not if you have to spend real money and it won't be available for cbills for a while but the DDC is still pretty dope so you could use that while saving up for a whale that will come someday.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
http://mwomercs.com/landingpad

Good to see PGI is ramping up the "appeal" of the game for new visitors to their site. :mrgw:

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Wales Grey posted:

http://mwomercs.com/landingpad

Good to see PGI is ramping up the "appeal" of the game for new visitors to their site. :mrgw:

That poo poo is months old. "Come play robots, my lord"

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
What's up with that random portrait on the right side anyway?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Aesis posted:

Clearly a woman's face is necessary to sell any F2P game, even one that's 100% giant robots. PGI is excellent at making their game look trashy and low-grade. Also the lighting on that page is terrible.

RiperSnifel
Jul 13, 2007

Pull the handle, let it go, now you know you're ready to roll.

Aesis posted:

You sexless fool!

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yeah, They are pretty solid for laser builds now. On one variant I have 1x ERPPC and 2x PPC and can alternate fired between the 2 as groups for a while before heat is a problem.

They still suffer the weight issue that it's a weird spot that you want to mount more stuff but can't. If you are going to take an assault there are far better choices. They are much better though, so I guess that is a small notch for making poor performing mechs less poor.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
9M with 3 LPL or 4 LLas is good, I use a 375 XL and until the Timber Wolf my 9M was by far my best performing mech. If you can position well and not be primaried people do not know how to handle an assault that can poo poo out nonstop pinpoint pulse damage while moving at 80kph.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The Timberwolf and the Dire Wolf are the two best mechs in the game. The Timber Wolf is more all around useful and you can solo in it without risking being left behind in a ring-around-the-pubbie to get caught out in the open and murdered. The Dire Wolf will murder anything your team will assemble against and it is such a critical chore to whittle them down. Drops with too many of them will just drown you in tankiness.

The Warhawk is a shittier Dire Wolf but it can role very well. It is much more spritely and can stack on a poo poo ton of clan LRM's if you are running narc teams. The Summoner is just a shittier Timberwolf.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
And clan lights and mediums exist I guess but who really gives a poo poo

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
The Twolf runs around 90 kph after speed tweak, can carry the weapons of an assault mech, it has JJs and also benefits from broken hit boxes. Its p average imo.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

Cease to Hope posted:

Lights and mediums are my favourite :smith:

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Okay so unfortunately you guys are making me want to try this. My computer's too good to run Mechwarrior 3 properly and that was the last Mechwarrior game I played. If I need my stompy robot fix, should I go for 4 or Online?

I mean, it's not wrong as long as I don't give PGI money...right?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Cease to Hope posted:

Stromcrows look pretty decent, but I won't really know until i get my hands on them.

edit: stormcrows, not shadowhawks, got my nature-animal mechs all mixed up.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 2, 2014

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
The Timberwolf is pretty much an alpha-mech which can do anything well. With a good pilot it puts up ridiculous numbers.

The Dire Wolf is a terrifying murder machine that destroys anything it faces until you realize that you can just go around it - it can be a sitting duck unless it has teammates to back it up.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have been enjoying the stormcrow and going 107 in a medium with a lot of build diversity.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.
I was kinda curious about the summoner. I haven't heard anything about the mech and haven't really seen anyone run it. Is it just out classed by the timberwolf that nobody pays attention to it?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Ok, so we all know the OP is all kinds of poo poo and since it popped up there has been a resurgence of goons. I think it is high time we got a decent OP together. I think I can handle the general :words: about the game and I think I can put together write-ups for the lights and mediums, as well as a guide for newbirds to build their first mech, I just need some folks that know heavies and assaults well and somebody who can get some decent headers.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
^^^ afaik someone is working on it.

IS lights still rule their class. for now....

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

TeeMerk posted:

IS lights still rule their class. for now....

The Kit Fox with the nutty 3 AMS/ECM arm is hilarious but it's hard to beat a Raven 3L going 150kph.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

axelsoar posted:

Ok, so we all know the OP is all kinds of poo poo and since it popped up there has been a resurgence of goons. I think it is high time we got a decent OP together. I think I can handle the general :words: about the game and I think I can put together write-ups for the lights and mediums, as well as a guide for newbirds to build their first mech, I just need some folks that know heavies and assaults well and somebody who can get some decent headers.

No, the developers no longer deserve any effort. Bulbasaur's OP was far beyond what we should have put in for effort.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I think I have two definitely top-class builds. Appropriately, one is for the Dire and one is for the Timber.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
OK, so how do I join WoL? The UI is terrible (As we all know) so I can just see an option to "Create a group"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

axelsoar posted:

It's a poo poo OP for a poo poo game. That's the way it should be.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

It's a poo poo OP for a poo poo game. That's the way it should be.

That's quite an opinion you have there.

Please keep posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

OK, so how do I join WoL? The UI is terrible (As we all know) so I can just see an option to "Create a group"

You need to be invited. Post your in-game name here and I'll send you a friend request and WoL invite.

• Locked thread