Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Deep troll shamans make good enslavement targets as they will might and haste your allies. Not very resilient but potentially a multiplier to your As and Ds. Just try to keep them in the back.

If you have lots of HP, pain mirror is a very expensive way to win any fight.

I think invocations are pretty optional with Yred. Drain life is good enough to repay moderate Invocations investment, but there are other uses for that experience -- like getting charms so that you can haste your minions. If you have a bad Invocations aptitude, I would tend towards that.

MfDK getting a (demon) trident + shield, lots of dodging and castable haste is good. OgDK is actually pretty strong, approaching non-ogre strength levels. Remember to animate basically everything, zombie armour is really good armour. I actually macro p to aa and pretend he is a corpse sacrifice god...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

I kind of hate that you can walk down the stairs into situations like this. That's a lot of HP to lose right away. If I didn't have a blink scroll I'd be straight up dead.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 2, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

That sort of thing almost never happens the first time you enter a level because of the reduced wait on the other side of the stairs. Stair dancing is super effective already, and I can't think of a fix for your scenario that wouldn't make it even more effective.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Yeah, I like the tension of picking alt stairs where the first staircase has an advantage over the other two, because you see the new floor and think "Do I have better odds switching stairs but not getting the free turn?"

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

LogicNinja posted:

I kind of hate that you can walk down the stairs into situations like this. That's a lot of HP to lose right away. If I didn't have a blink scroll I'd be straight up dead.

It looks to me like the correct solution here is to die and leave a beautiful ghost.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

code:
w - the +4 robe of Night {+Inv MR+ SInv Stlth+}!

A long black robe made of strange glossy material! It seems to shroud its
wearer in darkness! According to legend, it was the gift of Ratri the Goddess
of the Night to one of her followers!

You'd think that this would be a gift from Dithmenos, although I guess he's the god of shadows, not the night.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mr. Despair posted:

code:

You'd think that this would be a gift from Dithmenos, although I guess he's the god of shadows, not the night.

That flavor text sure looks excited.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Mr. Despair posted:

code:

Shouldn't the reference to the Goddess be gender neutral?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Dee Ehm posted:

Shouldn't the reference to the Goddess be gender neutral?

Ratri is a Hindu goddess in real life Hindu, possibly there shouldn't be a reference at all? I don't know.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I been wondering this for a minute and keep forgetting to ask: does Iskenderun's Battlesphere count as a summoned creature in the same sense that it eats a share of the experience gain?

Also, if I were to change which sever I play on but have my account name be the same and have the '# TEAMCAPTIAN' command in the new RC file it should be no issue with the tournament, right?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

kaschei posted:

Ratri is a Hindu goddess in real life Hindu, possibly there shouldn't be a reference at all? I don't know.

Also, the bow of Krishna is in there as well!

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
Someone tell me all of the very good reasons that Firestarter is a bad idea for my spectral weapon-using Ogre Skald of Ashenzari.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
just imagine, going into slime 6, wielding firestarter, while wearing fire dragon armor and carrying a stack of scrolls of immolation. There's no way this can be a bad idea, as long as you forget to bring rC+ for the Azure Jellies.

I suppose exploding enemies are *slightly* noisy, if you're determined to find the downside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSK-1guFLDk

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 2, 2014

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
Does spectral weapon have any rF? Would it immediately die and share damage with me?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It has one rank of resist in everything but that's not enough to withstand a ton of innerflame explosions. It would be a terrible idea since the aoe explosions would destroy your spectral weapon really quickly. I thought spectral weapon didn't work with with artifacts anyways though?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

It has one rank of resist in everything but that's not enough to withstand a ton of innerflame explosions. It would be a terrible idea since the aoe explosions would destroy your spectral weapon really quickly. I thought spectral weapon didn't work with with artifacts anyways though?

It works with all artefacts other than the Singing Sword, Mace of Variability, Sword of Power, Staff of Wucad Mu, Vampire's Tooth, Sceptre of Torment, Sword of Zonguldrok, Staff of Dispater, Sceptre of Asmodeus, Obsidian Axe, and Devastator.

That is, all artefacts without the special bool in art-data.txt

code:
  TILE_EQ: mace_of_variability
  VALUE:   700
  BOOL:    special, no_upgrade
  BRAND:   SPWPN_CHAOS

Davedog
Sep 11, 2009
Oh hey, a tournament!

Any teams open for a terrible player with one win ever? Name is the same as my username here.

Davedog fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 2, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Davedog posted:

Oh hey, a tournament!

Any teams open for a terrible player with one win ever? Name is the same as my username here.

Are you willing to be a terrible stupid ogre all the time? :unsmigghh:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

code:
You hear the sound of rushing water.
 There is an entrance to a sewer on this level. Hurry and find it before the
 portal rusts away!
 You hear the hiss of flowing sand.
 There is an entrance to an ossuary on this level. Hurry and find it before the portal is buried!
AAAAAH

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Which of those should you generally prioritise over the other? They both have a good chance of having lots of potions right?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ossuary for sure.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ossuary can have layouts that are miniaturized versions of the Tomb floors. It is the best minivault.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm a teamcaptain playing on the US server. If I copy my two rc lines over to the Korea server will it work? Do I have to delete them from US?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Ossuary for sure.

Yeah. Drains are usually really easy and are generally a no-stress giftbasket with a few potions and scrolls, but ossuaries can have some really nice loot and are rarely too dangerous if you play carefully and have some identified consumables, just in case.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

World Famous Whore posted:

I been wondering this for a minute and keep forgetting to ask: does Iskenderun's Battlesphere count as a summoned creature in the same sense that it eats a share of the experience gain?

Nope.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
An ossuary can give you enough scrolls/potions to very reliably get you through Lair and has enemies that are actually worth significant amounts of XP. Of all the portal vaults I put ossuary below only labyrinth in priority, especially considering when it typically shows up.

I'd really like to see more portal vaults, I think they're great and an excellent change of pace from delving the Dungeon. Are any in the works right now, PF? Forest...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

A wizlab containing dozens of giant ants, mites and wasps being hunted down and killed by a named, unique wandering mushroom...

How come ice caves show up drat near everywhere and volcanos do not, by the way?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I - the amulet of the Hippo (around neck) {Gourm rF++ MR+}
(You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)

Goon insulation.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do I play as a mage follower of Gozag?
It's kind of irritating to get all this gold and no corpses since Gozags whisks them all away to sell them for their organs on the black market.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

amuayse posted:

It's kind of irritating to get all this gold and no corpses since Gozags whisks them all away to sell them for their organs on the black market.
Playing as an archetype that's really hungering for a Gozag worshipper doesn't seem like an optimal plan... unless you're playing a mummy or something.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

amuayse posted:

I would imagine you try to lower the hunger cost of your spells with spellcasting, petition for shops so you can buy more food, and invest in some melee skills and use the potionpetition to wreck stuff...? Also, wasn't Porridge one of the potion effects?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Humans Among Us posted:

I would imagine you try to lower the hunger cost of your spells with spellcasting, petition for shops so you can buy more food, and invest in some melee skills and use the potionpetition to wreck stuff...? Also, wasn't Porridge one of the potion effects?

IIRC Gozag always offers porridge.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Davzz posted:

Playing as an archetype that's really hungering for a Gozag worshipper doesn't seem like an optimal plan... unless you're playing a mummy or something.

Spriggans don't eat meat anyway, it'd be fine with one of them. Regardless of aptitudes, Spriggan Conjurer is quite viable if you want to go that route. I haven't actually played as Gozag though, he seems like he needs work.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.
Goddamnit. I've got a rather nice SpEn on s-z, and of course the websocket connection suddenly decides to crap out on me. Once I've reconnected, trying to get back into the game only yields "Another game is already in progress using this save!" *sigh*... and I just found the moon troll leather armour, too. Am I screwed or is this something that'll sort itself out in a little while?

e: nvm, fixed.

WereVolvo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 2, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Brannock posted:

An ossuary can give you enough scrolls/potions to very reliably get you through Lair and has enemies that are actually worth significant amounts of XP. Of all the portal vaults I put ossuary below only labyrinth in priority, especially considering when it typically shows up.

I'd really like to see more portal vaults, I think they're great and an excellent change of pace from delving the Dungeon. Are any in the works right now, PF? Forest...

There are a few; people have been talking about a bailey-tier "demon pit" portal vault, for example. People have been talking about that forever, though. I don't know that there's any portal vaults coming out in the near term; maybe sometime before 0.16's release?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I just showed Ferrinus how to access the autopickup toggle menu and he lost his poo poo. :buddy:

code:
Diplomat: You should set chunk autopickup off if you're permaliching
Diplomat: Save a little dicking around
Ferrinus: i can't do that without saving out and messing with the rc file can i
Diplomat: Yeah dude
Diplomat: hit \
Diplomat: SUCH a quality of life improver
Ferrinus: oh hell yeah
Diplomat: yeah man!!
Diplomat: WANDS OF MAGIC DARTS OH BOY BETTER COLLECT THESE
Diplomat: I love this menu so much
Diplomat: See: ogres autopickuping large rocks
Ferrinus: my god. my god
Diplomat: THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Ferrinus: i'm zooming paralyzed through a starfield right now
Just in case anyone else doesn't know this, you can hit the \ key to meticulously customize what you do and do not want to autopickup. Autograb every javelin you ever see! Ignore the seventh and eighth and ninth ring of regeneration you encounter! Stop picking up potions of blood what the gently caress you're not a vampire! Ignore wands of magic darts! Collect evokables! Don't pick up scrolls of summoning as an Okawarite! The possibilities are basically limitless, much like the reduction in tedium and annoyance!!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Angry Diplomat posted:

Just in case anyone else doesn't know this, you can hit the \ key to meticulously customize what you do and do not want to autopickup. Autograb every javelin you ever see! Ignore the seventh and eighth and ninth ring of regeneration you encounter! Stop picking up potions of blood what the gently caress you're not a vampire! Ignore wands of magic darts! Collect evokables! Don't pick up scrolls of summoning as an Okawarite! The possibilities are basically limitless, much like the reduction in tedium and annoyance!!

You should definitely pick up scrolls of summoning as an Okawarite. (He hasn't cared about followers dying since before 0.14 - I think 0.14 was the first full version where he didn't, but it might have been 0.13.)

I do love \ to (not) collect all sorts of use[less/ful] things, though. (I've never been clear why it thinks I need so many duplicates of some rings.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 2, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

WereVolvo posted:

Goddamnit. I've got a rather nice SpEn on s-z, and of course the websocket connection suddenly decides to crap out on me. Once I've reconnected, trying to get back into the game only yields "Another game is already in progress using this save!" *sigh*... and I just found the moon troll leather armour, too. Am I screwed or is this something that'll sort itself out in a little while?

It should, yes. If it doesn't resolve itself within an hour or two, get on IRC, and the server admin will be able to sort things out for you.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Stop picking up potions of blood what the gently caress you're not a vampire!

you know non-vampires still get nutrition from blood potions

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Right, but I don't see the point in bothering considering permafood is plentiful, chunks are even more plentiful, and blood potions rot. I'd rather just keep the inventory space open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PleasingFungus posted:

Doesn't it cure some low amount of HP rot on ghouls, too?

• Locked thread