Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

achillesforever6 posted:

Not being a Cubs or Pirates fan?

I would rather be a Cubs fan than a Brewers fan right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
If there's a god, Ron Gardenhire will be the next Astros manager.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
Mariners have utterly collapsed. It was a fun year though!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Krigen posted:

Not to say they won't stop sucking, but they're only 1.5 games behind the Tigers with one less game played.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.

Mr. Fix It posted:

Not to say they won't stop sucking, but they're only 1.5 games behind the Tigers with one less game played.

I'm more referring to how worn-out the pitching rotation has been over the last week and a half than their actual table position. Felix, Iwakuma, Young etc. have all had either career or season worst starts lately.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

nerve posted:

Is there anything to look forward to as a Brewers fan?

Packers kickoff.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Krigen posted:

I still believe.

The first round exit dream is alive.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Mornacale posted:

I would rather be a Cubs fan than a Brewers fan right now.

By like, a lot

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I don't follow baseball as much as I'd like because of work but Felix is gonna win the Cy Young right?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

nerve posted:

By like, a lot

No. Believe me, the grass is not greener on this side of the fence. I wouldn't wish being a Cubs fan on anyone.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

Austrian mook posted:

I don't follow baseball as much as I'd like because of work but Felix is gonna win the Cy Young right?

Prior to his last three starts I would have said probably but it's a little bit more open now I would think. Still definitely in the running.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Krigen posted:

Prior to his last three starts I would have said probably but it's a little bit more open now I would think. Still definitely in the running.

Just like last year, huh? :sigh:

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

Austrian mook posted:

Just like last year, huh? :sigh:

Apart from 2010, Felix always cools off a bit in September. The REAL problem is that somehow every other Mariners pitcher has decided to at the same time.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Krigen posted:

Apart from 2010, Felix always cools off a bit in September. The REAL problem is that somehow every other Mariners pitcher has decided to at the same time.

It's cool, we're just going to have to rely on our offense to win games. :v:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I think Felix would still win it if it were voted on right now, but it's going to come down to the final month for sure. Really just looks like it's between him and Sale, and it's (Right now) hard to ignore Felix's big lead in innings pitched. Crap the bed too many more times and raise that ERA another .25-.50 runs and it's a hell of a lot harder to predict.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Milovan Drecun posted:

If there's a god, Ron Gardenhire will be the next Astros manager.

Dusty Baker isn't doing anything, right?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Haha, great thread title.

Speaking of which, the Giants resumed a suspended game from May today against the Rockies. There've been a lot of roster changes between then and now.

With the minor league regular season now over, small ballers are just getting warmed up. It's the most magical time of the year for tinkerers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Royals called up Brandon Finnegan, making him the first 2014 draft pick to reach the majors.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Soler owns and I love watching him mash dingers

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

tadashi posted:

Dusty Baker isn't doing anything, right?

I think I'd hire Don Baylor back before Dusty. And that's saying something, because I loving HATED Baylor.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Everyone tells me the Cubs will grow more watchable, however, I wish to hell Jake Arrieta was back in Baltimore. O's screwed up on that one.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
It's amazing what letting pitchers throw what they're good at throwing can accomplish.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Its going to be real funny when Jose Abreu wins the Triple Crown this year and beats out Trout for the MVP again.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Aside from all the dinger mashing Abreu has done I hadn't really paid much attention to how his stats are to a Triple Crown and holy poo poo :stare:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Joey Gallo couldn't defend his Minor League Dinger Kingship. Lost to Bryant 43-42 :smith:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

jason heyward leads the nl in fwar

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Abner Assington posted:

Aside from all the dinger mashing Abreu has done I hadn't really paid much attention to how his stats are to a Triple Crown and holy poo poo :stare:

I wonder... Triple Crown winner on a losing team, crucially important 15 game winner on a winning team (Shoemaker), who is the ROY?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I wonder... Triple Crown winner on a losing team, crucially important 15 game winner on a winning team (Shoemaker), who is the ROY?

Do you really? Because it's going to be Abreu in a landslide. There have been plenty of RoYs on bad teams.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It'll be Abreu, no question.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Rookie of the Year doesn't have "valuable" in the name so they just give it to the best player instead of spouting dumb bullshit about not being valuable if you can't singlehandedly take your team to the playoffs.

If Springer had stayed healthy and kept up his pace then that would instead have been replaced by "is Abreu really a rookie??????" idiocy but (un?)fortunately that shouldn't be the case.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 2, 2014

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Yes but Shoemaker got WINS against ACES. His WAA (wins against aces) is like 8 or 9. I'd have to check but I'm guessing that's a rookie record. Abreu on the other hand is facing pitchers with blowout leads simply pitching to the score (The Jack Morris method), of course he gets a lot of pitches to hit.

God I should have been a baseball writer. It's so easy to come up with this poo poo

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Here's why Abreu wins: because I haven't really heard of Shoemaker much. Abreu is a Story. Allstar.

Rookie of the Year is summed up with "which player that you haven't seen much in the MLB before gave you the biggest wood this year"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
AL RoY is a done deal. NL RoY looks much more interesting, is it going to come down to ERA (deGrom) vs steals (Hamilton)?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Julio Cruz posted:

AL RoY is a done deal. NL RoY looks much more interesting, is it going to come down to ERA (deGrom) vs steals (Hamilton)?

I feel like if it does come down to those two that it's Hamilton in a landslide just because of the joy that sportswriters get from "proving the preseason Ney-sayin' bloggers wrong" and it will therefore be Hamilton in a landslide.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

deGrom was a no brainer choice but then he died like any Met with promise

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Fire Gardenhire and Rick Anderson into the goddamn sun.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Hamilton will probably win but I think Alex Wood should be in the top 3.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
deGrom also came out of absolutely nowhere. Even Mets fans who were bullish on him before the season figured he'd be a #4 guy at best, but then he magically developed a good change up. So he's lacking the requisite hype train I feel like most ROY candidates require.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

peepoogenderparts posted:

Hamilton will probably win but I think Alex Wood should be in the top 3.

He isn't a rookie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
I haven't been following the rest of the AL with my usual fervor the last couple months, but I feel like Stroman would have had a shot if it weren't for the imports.

• Locked thread