Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Inacio posted:

I still dream of one day building either a Long-EZ or an E-Racer. :allears:

Ditto :allears:

Shirl Dickey has re-started production of E-Racer landing gear parts. Just sayin'.

I'd take a Berkut too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Inacio posted:

I still dream of one day building either a Long-EZ or an E-Racer. :allears:

And telling everyone new you take up in it, just at the point of V1, that "hey, did you know this is the plane that killed John Denver?" *pause* "Well, not this *exact* plane...just the *exact* same type. How ya doin' back there?"

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Godholio posted:

Oh yeah, I know. But we're talking about people willing to sperg enough to start a website for this.
I went in expecting an IMFDB "identify a gun's make and model that was shown for all of 3 frames in the background of an unimportant scene" level of sperg was and severely disappointed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This thread needs more sex SX300.

:gizz:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
That there is a handsome air-oh-plane I'll tell you what. :clint:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Duke Chin posted:

That there is a handsome air-oh-plane I'll tell you what. :clint:

You need more "cocksucker", the plane's a Swearingen.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
No one cares, but I'm about to leave to go watch the Cleveland Air Show.

It'll be my first time seeing the Blue Angels.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Flikken posted:

Have fun. It's nice to have them back. I tried to convince my folks to go, but there's all this "family" :airquote: "stuff" they want to do before I leave for Taiwan.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

YF19pilot posted:

Have fun. It's nice to have them back. I tried to convince my folks to go, but there's all this "family" :airquote: "stuff" they want to do before I leave for Taiwan.

isn't it great that when you go away your family finds it necessary to do family stuff with you that you have no interest in doing?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

YF19pilot posted:

I want them to break windows on Euclid ave again.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Flikken posted:

I was in town earlier this week, hiking out by the lake front, and saw all seven fly right overhead. Six in formation with #7 off to the side looking like it was taking photos. Fun times, I wish I could have stuck around for the air show.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I was in town earlier this week, hiking out by the lake front, and saw all seven fly right overhead. Six in formation with #7 off to the side looking like it was taking photos. Fun times, I wish I could have stuck around for the air show.

If there was a gap where #7 would be if in formation, then it sounds more like a missing man formation, possibly because of the F15 fatality(?)

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I haven't been to the Cleveland air show in a couple years because of school, I really should go again sometime. I miss it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

SybilVimes posted:

If there was a gap where #7 would be if in formation, then it sounds more like a missing man formation, possibly because of the F15 fatality(?)

Nah, it was 1-6 in their triangle formation with 7 off to the side out of formation the whole way around, just where it would be if they were taking promo photos (which I assume is something they use the two-seater for). Or maybe just giving someone a cool ride.

e: took a video too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1noWxpM_So

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 1, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Nah, it was 1-6 in their triangle formation with 7 off to the side out of formation the whole way around, just where it would be if they were taking promo photos (which I assume is something they use the two-seater for). Or maybe just giving someone a cool ride.

Probably both, both the Blues and the T-Birds typically use 7 for media rides the week before the show.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Boing 747 Derpliner ?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Micr0chiP posted:

Boing 747 Derpliner ?

token complaint about unreclineable seating

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

It has more legroom than a modern 747 too.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Don't laugh, a good quarter of student pilots get their first solo in this.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

YF19pilot posted:

Don't laugh, a good quarter of student pilots get their first solo in this.

...with a good quarter.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Colonial Air Force posted:

...with a good quarter.

:golfclap:

Also, to not blankquote, we have some Avanti II's at my airport. Cool as gently caress planes. And just to make Inacio jealous:

Okay that was taken at Oshkosh but it's still the same thing

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Spaced God posted:

:golfclap:

Also, to not blankquote, we have some Avanti II's at my airport. Cool as gently caress planes. And just to make Inacio jealous:

Okay that was taken at Oshkosh but it's still the same thing

There's one that operates out of Oakland regularly. You can always tell when it's taking off by the sound.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Madurai posted:

There's one that operates out of Oakland regularly. You can always tell when it's taking off by the sound.

I was talking to one of the tower guys recently, and he said that one of the new controllers on the job had a hard time patterning everyone because she didn't understand faster traffic goes first. Imagine her surprise when this thing enters Class D at 350 kts and goes over the numbers at 180 :v

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've never known Piaggios to be that fast. Were these ones rocket propelled?

They sound like lawnmowers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

P180s will run down quite a few of the slower bizjets. They're seriously sexy machines.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spaced God posted:

I was talking to one of the tower guys recently, and he said that one of the new controllers on the job had a hard time patterning everyone because she didn't understand faster traffic goes first. Imagine her surprise when this thing enters Class D at 350 kts and goes over the numbers at 180 :v

180?! Thats century fighter deathtrap territory.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well ever since AvantAir went under, I haven't worked a ton of them.

However, I don't remember them being any harder to sequence in than a King Air. Though, I deal with the aircraft at terminal altitudes, not up at cruise.

They don't come over the numbers at 180 kts though. Nor into the Delta at 350.

When I worked at Waco, Embraer spent a few months sending 2 each of their new Phenom 100s and 300s for check flights daily. Lots of approaches. We were initially taken aback by this new "jet" that slowed to 90kts out on 8 mile final (was probably 95-110kts airspeed, but we see the groundspeed on radar which tends to have a headwind working against it on final).

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 2, 2014

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

180?! Thats century fighter deathtrap territory.

He said 170 or 180. Doesn't surprise me, really. That thing doesn't look like it can possibly go slow.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Reading up on it, it appears that the final speeds for the P180 are high for its size. But vREF (the "over the fence" speed) is still 115-120kts. Not so terribly high as to defy imagination for a prop aircraft.

I figure it was just an embellished ATC tale, but probably rooted in truth. No doubt the tower trainee shoved the twin turbo prop avanti right up the rear end of a Cessna Skyhawk and was astonished that it didn't work.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 2, 2014

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And telling everyone new you take up in it, just at the point of V1, that "hey, did you know this is the plane that killed John Denver?" *pause* "Well, not this *exact* plane...just the *exact* same type. How ya doin' back there?"

And then remember you pay attention to your checklists, have a full tank of fuel, have done your annual every year... and are ready to fly.

Speed be damned though, some habits of those canards really bug the crap out of me. Mind, everything I"m about to say has counterexamples, but like saying "you can't loop a helicopter" it's mostly true.

Canards can't handle flaps. Canards don't slow down a whole lot for landing. Or takeoff. So you end up with long low approaches on landing, and long takeoff runs.

Canards are more sensitive to contamination due to that highly loaded canard. (And then you call in an engineer to keep you airborne in the rain......*ahem John Roncz*) CG's get really critical due to that Canard too. If it's not loaded enough, the canard won't stall soon enough, and if it's to heavily loaded, you're stuck at some really high landing speeds. Or if you combine a forward CG and rain, you may "just be screwed."

Canards seem to be stuck with pusher engines. (Defiant, Quickie..) But the Burkut, Velocity, Cozy, etc.. And pushers give up thrust, and make noise. The slower you go, the more the wing interference matters. I mean, you can make it up, but it typically requires a larger prop to do so. And that limits engine rpm, which then means gearboxes.. and we don't want any of those stinking gear munching engine destroyers do we?

It seems all of the "modern" canard designs end up being three surface designs. Catbird, P180, whomever makes that F1 canard for pylon racing. I think there's something to be said about that. It removes the "well you can't stall the thing" but puts you back in control. And something tells me you get most of the "everything lifts" benifit without throwing away available AoA like you do with a *EZ design.

Now that I've sperged completely on the subject... holy crap are there some really neat descendants of the LongEZ. There's variants with retracts, better canopy designs (berkut), better materials use (any of the kits..), rocket engines, jet engines, turboprops... Virtually anything but stol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_V-Twin A 4 seat twin engine canard.
http://staggerez.com/ I love interesting interior setups. This one fits three by pushing a passenger back.

Another plane that has the "well that lands fast" but is really neat, is the Dyke Delta.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyke_Delta The build method is unique. You're expected to use a large table to lay up the wing skins. The wings are unusual in that the ribs are welded steel.

While we're at it, how about fast, and "sane" landing speeds?
http://www.studiomoonart.com/whitelightning.htm The White Lightning. ~70mph stall, 290mph top end. Annoyingly it's a kit, not plans built. And it's "done." So there won't be any more of them.

I should probably go to bed. But before I do, back to John Denver: http://www.asktog.com/columns/027InterfacesThatKill.html Don't do things that are counter-intuitive.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Guys we need to start pooling our money right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy-MkB-SLZM

I am seriously hoping that rope is tied to a cleat and not a pitot tube @ 2:41

Superuser008
Feb 7, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

That looks like a plane built to throw James Bond out of.

"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to fly!"

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Bond-san could be thrown out of both of those.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Superuser008 posted:

"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to fly!"

FLY!

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 2, 2014

marumaru
May 20, 2013

A Handed Missus posted:

Bond-san could be thrown out of both of those.

The fact that that thing flies is a great reminder of how little I know about aerodynamics.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Inacio posted:

The fact that that thing flies is a great reminder of how little I know about aerodynamics.

*shrug* it only has to carry one person and his entourage, and even clinton was only 217lbs, that's nothing amazing really.

e: serious answer: the B-29, B-50 and C-97 were always a bit overpowered on the thrust:weight ratio, replace the four engines with turboprops (that looks like a turbo-guppy, right?) and the disparity is even bigger, enough to overcome pretty much any amount of added drag

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 2, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
having enough thrust is a powerful equalizer in the realm of "can it fly."

mind you it loses something like 90 mph max speed compared to the C-97 it was built from.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SybilVimes posted:

*shrug* it only has to carry one person and his entourage, and even clinton was only 217lbs, that's nothing amazing really.

e: serious answer: the B-29, B-50 and C-97 were always a bit overpowered on the thrust:weight ratio, replace the four engines with turboprops (that looks like a turbo-guppy, right?) and the disparity is even bigger, enough to overcome pretty much any amount of added drag

I really thought you were making a Monica/guppy joke for a moment.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nerobro posted:

Canards are more sensitive to contamination due to that highly loaded canard. (And then you call in an engineer to keep you airborne in the rain......*ahem John Roncz*)

It's funny you mention this; I've been fortunate enough to ride in an Avanti a few times, one of which was in pretty solid IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions). When flying in cloud or in the rain, the Avanti has a really disconcerting tendency toward small pitch oscillations above 180 knots, bobbing the nose up and down a couple times a second. Not enough to make altitude control any more of an issue than in a conventional aircraft, but I can't imagine it's good for passenger comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

MrChips posted:

When flying in cloud or in the rain, the Avanti has a really disconcerting tendency toward small pitch oscillations above 180 knots, bobbing the nose up and down a couple times a second. Not enough to make altitude control any more of an issue than in a conventional aircraft, but I can't imagine it's good for passenger comfort.

That makes me question a lot of things about the Avanti. And makes me wonder much less about the one flying missing a tail surface. :-) It probably felt better. I wonder if the pitch oscillation is from rain..