Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Forget it, Livid. It’s the Internet. It’s not about who’s closest to being correct, it’s who can shout the loudest.

There have been a few…uncomfortable moments through the history of the show with regards to topics like race, sexism, equality – but they’ve either been accidental (The Talons of Weng-Chiang because of how many Oriental actors there were in 1970's Great Britain) or trying to make a point and having it go astray/not be presented properly (the closest I can come up off the top of my head is with Thatcher and The Happiness Patrol). The show has never been maliciously racist, sexist, or other appropriate for the conversation-ish.

As I said, I don’t care if it’s a Chinese woman or a Pikey bloke or a Inuit playing the Doctor, as long as they are a GOOD Doctor.

Just because a show has an opportunity to make a political/social statement doesn’t mean it should. Otherwise, you end up with The Newsroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

It comes up occasionally in Doctor Who, as with some of the discussion regarding Journey to the Center of the TARDIS. For some reason, people groan whenever "that was a bit racist/sexist" stuff comes up, but it's just a comment. It doesn't mean the show or writers are suddenly evil bigots and the discussion would always be shorter if not for the four people who have to take up part of the conversation saying "Not this again, SJW tumblr nerds!" If that particular brand of discussion isn't your cup of tea, you can always wait a few pages at the most until the talk shifts to which person fits better into the Davros rubber mask they had to recycle and/or whether Moffat is the devil incarnate and who is buying a new Doctor Who coat.

It's okay to talk about racism sometimes and sometimes Doctor Who has has depictions that suffer from racist writing. It's okay that people post about it, here in the thread devoted to discussion regarding Doctor Who.

Peter Capaldi is great though, both in his depiction of the character and in the graciousness he's shown toward the hordes of fans.

Yep. I think people have trouble sometimes understanding that calling a story racist/sexist/*ist isn't the same thing as saying that the writer hates black people/women/*.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

CobiWann posted:

Forget it, Livid. It’s the Internet. It’s not about who’s closest to being correct, it’s who can shout the loudest.

That's what makes me so great - I can do both! /six

Diabolik900 posted:

Yep. I think people have trouble sometimes understanding that calling a story racist/sexist/*ist isn't the same thing as saying that the writer hates black people/women/*.

Or, in fact, that it's not the same as calling people who like it racist/sexist/bigoted.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
On that note, you will probably start wanting to avoid the word pikey.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Peri Brown?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hmm.

CobiWann posted:

Just because a show has an opportunity to make a political/social statement doesn’t mean it should. Otherwise, you end up with The Newsroom.

I don't know what The Newsroom is, but this is a weird thing to say. It's pretty much impossible to make a show that doesn't make some kind of social or political statement.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Happiness Patrol and The Greatest Show in the Galaxy are the two hallmarks I can think of where Doctor Who was trying but was accidentally quite hilariously insensitive, off the top of my head.

I think shows kind of make a social statement no matter what their intent is. That's arguably encoded into story and nothing exists in a vacuum. The RTD years were definitely actively trying to put some messages out there. Sometimes they did alright and sometimes it was embarrassing.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

I don't know what The Newsroom is, but this is a weird thing to say. It's pretty much impossible to make a show that doesn't make some kind of social or political statement.

It's not a weird thing to say if you know what The Newsroom is.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
In the spirit of the Oxxipation thread and J-Ru et al's reviews here, suggest an episode of Old Who and I will watch it and do an effort post on it :getin:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In the spirit of the Oxxipation thread and J-Ru et al's reviews here, suggest an episode of Old Who and I will watch it and do an effort post on it :getin:

The Twin Dilemma.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

State of Decay.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Carnival of Monsters!

(Mostly because I'm about to start watching it and am curious what some one elses opinions would be)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

The Twin Dilemma.

This.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

State of Decay.

It's this one as the first non-Twin Dilemma suggestion

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's this one as the first non-Twin Dilemma suggestion

How dare you cheat at this completely voluntary thing you agreed to subject yourself to for our amusement!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Or, in fact, that it's not the same as calling people who like it racist/sexist/bigoted.

Yes! This is actually probably even more important than what I said.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wait, what's wrong with Happiness Patrol? I thought it was a fairly cut-and-dry mockery of Thatcher?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait, what's wrong with Happiness Patrol? I thought it was a fairly cut-and-dry mockery of Thatcher?

Magical Blues playing man.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I had completely forgotten about that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

How dare you cheat at this completely voluntary thing you agreed to subject yourself to for our amusement!

State of Decay was directed by Peter Moffatt, who went on to direct The Twin Dilemma

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

On that note, you will probably start wanting to avoid the word pikey.

Can I chalk up my word choice to ignorance/poor planning and ask for forgiveness?

And yeah, State of Decay should be an interesting choice, can’t wait to see what you think of it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish it were time to change my avatar to Four, but I want him to last for more than an hour if possible, so I suppose I should wait. :(

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I appear to be too late for this, but I'm going to set an RNG for between 1 and 155, and if anyone wants to pick it up, please watch...

#146, Delta and the Bannermen.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
As an aside, I’m currently having an argument with my good friend, who has declared Into the Dalek the worst sci-fi episode of ANY series since Threshold from Star Trek: Voyager.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

CobiWann posted:

As an aside, I’m currently having an argument with my good friend, who has declared Into the Dalek the worst sci-fi episode of ANY series since Threshold from Star Trek: Voyager.

Your friend does not watch a lot of TV.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

How did you meet the Comic Book Shop guy from the Simpsons?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

CobiWann posted:

Nothing is worse than Threshold.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

marktheando posted:

Because of the unique way the BBC is funded, they aren't supposed to care about profits, is the main point. And BBC worldwide is a completely separate thing from BBC Wales, who actually make the show. More profits for BBC Worldwide does not mean higher budgets for BBC Wales. As shown when the show was more popular than it is now at the start of Matt Smith's era, and got its budget cut.

Actually, the BBC now refuses to say whether or not Doctor Who is co-funded by BBC Worldwide, and it's denied FOI requests about it. However, Worldwide has co-funded and co-produced episodes in the past, including the material rolled out for the 50th, and does cite Doctor Who as one of its most important brands. In fact, it cited Who's production troubles as a cause of significant revenue loss. So it's not that cut-and-dried.

Doctor Who still does strong AI numbers, and strong ratings, and being able to make it more inexpensively due to outside funding is gonna be attractive.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

I appear to be too late for this, but I'm going to set an RNG for between 1 and 155, and if anyone wants to pick it up, please watch...

#146, Delta and the Bannermen.

You monster

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

So has he not ever seen Asylum of the Daleks or

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

gently caress that, has his friend ever actually seen Threshold, or The Outrageous Okona or Miri or The Twin Dilemma or Profit & Lace or...

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Burkion posted:

Huh? I thought Asylum was pretty good.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gynovore posted:

It was ok.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gynovore posted:

My reply is as follows:

I did not.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Man, I'd be waaay more hype for Robot of Sherwood if it was Shearman writing it you have no loving idea.

Rob Shearman - Jacqueline Rayner, really - writing a story about the Doctor and his companion meeting a pseudo-historical mythic figure where the Doctor's being critical of "history" and legends while the companion has their own preconceptions? That's like the cool "history" bits of Jubilee meets the premise of The Marian Conspiracy! It'd be incredible!

But instead Mark Gatiss wrote it. I haven't seen the workprint or read the script but there's no way that isn't a tremendous waste of story potential.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The preview made it look pretty intentionally goofy, which I'm normally okay with, but I'm sort of hoping the whole thing isn't some embarrassing flirt-fest where something about Robin Hood's ladykiller smugness mirrors Clara's dating life with Danny or whatever.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Gaz-L posted:

gently caress that, has his friend ever actually seen Threshold, or The Outrageous Okona or Miri or The Twin Dilemma or Profit & Lace or...

Sub Rosa? Operation Annihilate? Love and Monsters?

I think an Asian or Black or female or even ginger Doctor is fine, just as long as there is never an American Doctor. :colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Sub Rosa? Operation Annihilate? Love and Monsters?

I think an Asian or Black or female or even ginger Doctor is fine, just as long as there is never an American Doctor. :colbert:

I'd accept an American accent as long as it wasn't Yet Another White Dude. America is such a wonderful melting pot that it would be abominable to not reflect that. The diversity of Doctor cosplayers (although, unfortunately, not the diversity of Doctors) at the World Tour stop was fantastic!

I'd take a thick Queens (NY) voice coming from a black or hispanic or asian or [culture/ethnicity I'm sure I'm forgetting] Doctor, but I'd burn my coat if the gave the role to a white dude with a Hollywood accent.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

DoctorWhat posted:

Man, I'd be waaay more hype for Robot of Sherwood if it was Shearman writing it you have no loving idea.

Rob Shearman - Jacqueline Rayner, really - writing a story about the Doctor and his companion meeting a pseudo-historical mythic figure where the Doctor's being critical of "history" and legends while the companion has their own preconceptions? That's like the cool "history" bits of Jubilee meets the premise of The Marian Conspiracy! It'd be incredible!

But instead Mark Gatiss wrote it. I haven't seen the workprint or read the script but there's no way that isn't a tremendous waste of story potential.

It's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

It's okay.

I expect "okay".

I want exemplary.

:negative:

• Locked thread