Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Moppingest posted:

lovely driving

Please cut up your license and sell your car before you kill someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
I'm gonna say the (bad) snap decision was passing the entire line, rather then just that one car.

Of which, I can't for the life of me figure out what car uses that hood vent. Then I realized the fenders don't match, so it's a black aftermarket hood on a...? This is a dire investigation that is bugging me.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

watwat posted:

Please cut up your license and sell your car before you kill someone

Sorry buddy, but I heard him use his turn signal so that makes him better than 94% of the drivers out there right off the bat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

treizebee posted:

I'm gonna say the (bad) snap decision was passing the entire line, rather then just that one car.

Of which, I can't for the life of me figure out what car uses that hood vent. Then I realized the fenders don't match, so it's a black aftermarket hood on a...? This is a dire investigation that is bugging me.

It's quite obviously a camaro.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Moppingest posted:

Person drifts into my lane as I'm nearing a pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCP8RGzGKec

Maybe it's just my ~motorcyclist's sixth sense~ but I could tell like 2.5 seconds into that video that the guy was going to drift into your lane (even without the title of the video, natch). He has his left wheels over the line while you're still like eighty feet behind him. Anything that happened there would have been your fault for not keeping your distance.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I saw a wonderful thing today. I was sitting at a light, and a bike came up behind the car waiting for the left turn. Arrow goes green, car doesn't move. Bike rider waits a half second, goes around car and raps his knuckles on the window. The driver jumped about three feet out of the seat and hit their head on the roof of the car. :laugh:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

JBark posted:

The "technical" red light running is the big one I never noticed before. This is entering when the light is already yellow and turns red while still in the intersection. Illegal almost everywhere, but I see if all the time, and do it myself more times than I care to admit. I suppose that's the overconfidence effect kicking it, we all think we've got plenty of time until it turns red.

You are completely incorrect about the illegality of this in the state of Missouri, which given the fact isn't progressive or much of a stand-out in any way legislatively is likely to be a pretty good bellwether for the rest of the nation.

The relevant statutes can be found here:
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3040000281.HTM

More specifically, these two statutes are most important.
(a) Vehicular traffic facing a steady yellow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic shall not enter the intersection;
and
(a) Vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal alone shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection at a clearly marked stop line but, if none, then before entering the intersection and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown except as provided in paragraph (b);

The key word in these statutes is "enter". You may not enter the intersection on red. Once entered, you command right-of-way in your direction of travel till clearing the intersection. If in the event the light turns red while you are in the intersection it is of no consequence, as you have already entered the intersection.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The way yellow lights are timed is one of the most incongruous things about road design amd signage. Generally speaking speed limits, curvature, and all assumptions about vehicle performance are based on worst case scenarios, be that large trucks, or cars from the 60s and 70s. Yellow light timings on the other hand are so short at some intersections that your only option is to slam on your brakes, risking getting rear ended, or accelerate, entering the intersection as the light goes red. Obviously we all know why this is done, but it's ridiculous.

There's clearly something wrong with the way our police departments are funded and managed when they conclude that their best bet is to try to encourage motorists to break the law.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 29, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There's plenty of intersections on the outskirts of Chicago that have left turn lanes but no left turn signals. During heavy traffic, waiting in the intersection for the light to turn red is the only way you'll make that turn. Then the three cars behind you will run the red on top of it.

Though if it's particularly bad, the cross traffic will also be backed up and you will be stuck in the intersection blocking traffic because there is no where to go.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

trouser chili posted:

You are completely incorrect about the illegality of this in the state of Missouri, which given the fact isn't progressive or much of a stand-out in any way legislatively is likely to be a pretty good bellwether for the rest of the nation.

The relevant statutes can be found here:
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3040000281.HTM

More specifically, these two statutes are most important.
(a) Vehicular traffic facing a steady yellow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic shall not enter the intersection;
and
(a) Vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal alone shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection at a clearly marked stop line but, if none, then before entering the intersection and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown except as provided in paragraph (b);

The key word in these statutes is "enter". You may not enter the intersection on red. Once entered, you command right-of-way in your direction of travel till clearing the intersection. If in the event the light turns red while you are in the intersection it is of no consequence, as you have already entered the intersection.

This is exactly why the dumbass that hit me while I was going through a yellow light was found at fault. This was in Illinois.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uthor posted:

There's plenty of intersections on the outskirts of Chicago that have left turn lanes but no left turn signals. During heavy traffic, waiting in the intersection for the light to turn red is the only way you'll make that turn. Then the three cars behind you will run the red on top of it.

Though if it's particularly bad, the cross traffic will also be backed up and you will be stuck in the intersection blocking traffic because there is no where to go.

In melbourne on the roads that have light rail tracks between them, to turn right, you have to pull out into a lane on the left, and wait for traffic to stop because you're now crossing the traffic going the same direction as you, the tracks, and the traffic traveling the other way.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Here's something I witnessed this morning:

Yellow car is some normal sedan, red car is a mildly riced Civic hatchback. As soon as their protected left light comes on, the yellow car starts making a normal turn, and the loving idiot in the red car floors it, cuts inside the yellow car's path, through Concannon Blvd's left turn lane, and in front of the yellow car by the time the yellow car was in about the position of that silver car in the picture.

Weird poo poo. Wish I'd had a dashcam.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Here's something I witnessed this morning:

Yellow car is some normal sedan, red car is a mildly riced Civic hatchback. As soon as their protected left light comes on, the yellow car starts making a normal turn, and the loving idiot in the red car floors it, cuts inside the yellow car's path, through Concannon Blvd's left turn lane, and in front of the yellow car by the time the yellow car was in about the position of that silver car in the picture.

Weird poo poo. Wish I'd had a dashcam.

I've had people do that from the right only turn lane when I'm in my big truck, two left hand turn lanes, one right, person from the right hand cuts across my lane and the lane next to me to make a left, illegally.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

JBark posted:

The "technical" red light running is the big one I never noticed before. This is entering when the light is already yellow and turns red while still in the intersection. Illegal almost everywhere, but I see if all the time, and do it myself more times than I care to admit.
You're "technically" wrong in Washington too. From http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.055:

(2) Steady yellow indication

(a) Vehicle operators facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal are thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic shall not enter the intersection.

Here's a State Patrol officer explaining it in plain English: http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/2010/07/11/ok-to-go-through-red-if-i-entered-intersection-on-a-yellow/

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Crosspost from osha.jpg

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

"These waves are mine!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, totally safe to be cruising along at 70+ mph.

The woman driving had a couple kids bouncing around the back too, no seatbelts. Maybe her life is just so bad she's hoping fate will intervene.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 24, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Extra posted:

Lol this is literally the dumbest thing ever because cars can't stop on a dime and there's no way to know when a green is going to turn yellow holy poo poo. Guess I better approach every intersection at 10 mph in case it turns yellow.

That's not what it's saying. That last phrase regarding entering the intersection is talking about the red light.

It does make it pretty confusing to read though, "here's a nice paragraph about yellow lights, and also a reminder about what red lights mean."

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 24, 2019

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yellow light means "stop, unless it would be unsafe to do so", for instance if you're too close to brake safely, or if you've got a huge truck tailgating you.

It's not really that hard to understand.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Extra posted:

*a driver seeing a yellow light appear slams on the brakes as his car slides into the intersection*
*light turns red*
*red light camera snaps a picture*
*statue of liberty crying in the background*

Just label the driver of the car, have a kid in the backseat also crying, some overweight guy in black at the background holding a bag of money and some smarmy, angry balding man in in the corner popping a terrible pun like "photo finished." Now you too can write for The Onion

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Double whammy with two wheelers yesterday, motorcyclist went down hard as gently caress on the interstate, my guess is he clipped someone's left front fender with his back tire, like he almost did to me in my rig 15 miles before, but at least he was wearing full gear went he went down and was only bleeding out his mouth and nose. Then later, getting late on a two lane highway, in a 70mph zone, 25+ miles from the nearest man-made light source, I drat near ran into a black ghost pushing a bicycle in the travel lane.

Yeah, no lights, no reflectors, dark clothes, middle of nowhere, walking in the travel lane. I figured the man wanted to meet Jesus, the Aliens, or feed the critters, only reason I loving saw him was I noticed the fog line acting funny.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Yellow light means "stop, unless it would be unsafe to do so", for instance if you're too close to brake safely, or if you've got a huge truck tailgating you.

In Ontario, you will fail your licensing test if you enter an intersection when the light is yellow. You can be already in the intersection when the light turns yellow, but you if you haven't crossed the line yet, doing so is considered the same as running a red light. If you're in the intersection when the light is yellow and it turns red before you're out, you will also fail.

I don't know what the actual law says and I've never seen any policeman pull someone over for being in the intersection on a yellow, but I had two friends in high school fail their tests for that reason. The MOT's response to people complaining is "if you couldn't stop in time, you were driving too fast."

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 2, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To me that just sounds like an attempt to keep stupid kids off the road which in general I approve of.

There's no way in hell an officer would ticket someone for already being in the intersection when it flips yellow, as it's impossible to predict when that's going to happen.

(congested traffic and entering an intersection being one exception, in those cases you don't enter the intersection unless you know you can clear it)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Sagebrush posted:

If you're in the intersection when the light is yellow and it turns red before you're out, you will also fail.

Is this really the law? It sounds highly unlikely. I know you all don't have cities with a lot of people in Ontario, but in any reasonably big intersection (that for whatever reason does not have a dedicated left-turn arrow) at peak times you will end up with cross-traffic going straight preventing left turners from turning until the light turns yellow, then people will continue to run the yellow, and you will have to finish your left turn as the light is red, having crossed the white line while it was green.

I'm not an engineer but I assume that if this is a common occurrence though, or the traffic volume is large enough, the traffic authority will put in a dedicated turn arrow to reduce the possibility of this scenario.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 2, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Sagebrush posted:

In Ontario, you will fail your licensing test if you enter an intersection when the light is yellow. You can be already in the intersection when the light turns yellow, but you if you haven't crossed the line yet, doing so is considered the same as running a red light. If you're in the intersection when the light is yellow and it turns red before you're out, you will also fail.

I don't know what the actual law says and I've never seen any policeman pull someone over for being in the intersection on a yellow, but I had two friends in high school fail their tests for that reason. The MOT's response to people complaining is "if you couldn't stop in time, you were driving too fast."

So, if you're about to cross the line and the light turns yellow, you're hosed? How the hell can you even adjust for that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EightBit posted:

So, if you're about to cross the line and the light turns yellow, you're hosed? How the hell can you even adjust for that?

Hope the crosswalk lights have counters on them?

Or maybe you're supposed to reduce speed as you approach a green light so that you can always stop should it suddenly turn yellow. Of course this means once you reach the stop line you have to come to a halt and wait for the next cycle.

(it's totally a trap to keep kids off the road)

blk
Dec 19, 2009
These are the people(?) Russians share the road with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnsdc7cTPuU&t=35s

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
^ Don't skip this, watch it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

^ Don't skip this, watch it.
Glad I did, holy crap.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

blk posted:

Best thing I've seen today.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I hope this is real.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Goddammit I'm going to be in this thread, I heard a siren behind me and pulled over to the shoulder. The ambulance was already blowing past people on the shoulder, so I basically cut it off. Then I didn't have enough room to get back into my original lane, so I was stuck blocking an ambulance until traffic moved. I was just trying to do the right thing :(

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

blk posted:

gently caress yeah, Saints Row is real!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Pudgygiant posted:

Goddammit I'm going to be in this thread, I heard a siren behind me and pulled over to the shoulder. The ambulance was already blowing past people on the shoulder, so I basically cut it off. Then I didn't have enough room to get back into my original lane, so I was stuck blocking an ambulance until traffic moved. I was just trying to do the right thing :(

Don't feel bad, they were wrong. An ambulance should never drive on the shoulder, ever. I drive an ambulance for a living. I'm in an ambulance RIGHT NOW

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Geirskogul posted:

Don't feel bad, they were wrong. An ambulance should never drive on the shoulder, ever. I drive an ambulance for a living. I'm in an ambulance RIGHT NOW

TEXTING AND DRIVING

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

TEXTING AND DRIVING

It's ok, if there's an accident traffic collision, he's already in an ambulance :v:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

TEXTING AND DRIVING
Maybe it's TEXTING AND INTUBATING which could be worse for the intubee. Intubed. Customer. That works.

Or they are sitting on their thumbs hoping they have an easy shift. From EMS threads here I've learned that the job is 50% sitting, 45% non-emergency patient transfer, 5% HOLY poo poo and the 5% takes the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

blk posted:

:vince: