Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Pander posted:

gently caress your stupid city that doesn't appreciate the best pitcher it's had since Lolich.

They seem to like Max Scherzer just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Beller posted:

Puig and Pederson can play at the same time.

If you do that you either have a pissed off Kemp playing in left, or you have Puig in left. I haven't seen Puig play left field so no comment there. I don't see them moving Pederson out of CF.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

They seem to like Max Scherzer just fine

When Max doubles his output that'll be a perfectly valid retort. Until then, nope.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Please don't listen to sports talk radio.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Pander posted:

gently caress your stupid city that doesn't appreciate the best pitcher it's had since Lolich.

Hey, we love Max Scherzer!

Also, Mickey Lolich was and is still the man. He owned a donut shop in Lake Orion, and was generally the king of town forever. To this day, he is the coolest of the old ballplayers who appear around Detroit from time to time. Mickey Lolich is the man.

In this sense, Mickey Lolich is to Denny McLain what Max Scherzer is to Justin Verlander.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 3, 2014

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Lorini posted:

If you do that you either have a pissed off Kemp playing in left, or you have Puig in left. I haven't seen Puig play left field so no comment there. I don't see them moving Pederson out of CF.

It should be Pederson CF- Puig LF - Kemp RF until the end of the season. Crawford and Ethier should be considered sunk costs at this point, imo.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Lorini posted:

They had Pederson playing in left in AAA.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
J.D. Martinez owns. (and owns the Indians)

e: He can win the "lol Astros" award

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

He is a September call up. He'll play wherever Donnie feels like playing him. Don't be surprised to see him in left.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Will he also get an honorary blowjob at home plate? Jesus.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

In honor of this momentous last season, ALS has been renamed Derek Jeter's Disease.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Dereck Jeter

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
"Break up the Cubs," I said sarcastically, I assume all responsibility for Castro and Rizzo.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Can we like...not speculate on which ball players sex life does or does not make him a bad person? Who the gently caress cares who verlander is or is not sleeping with. Dude was a great pitcher and got overused to death and now he sucks. Separately, as a human being, he was also having sex. The two are not related and if you try and relate the two that is weird and kind of icky.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Verlander is disgracing the game by not sleeping with people and giving them elaborate personalized DJ2 Final Season baseball gift baskets.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

In honor of this momentous last season, ALS has been renamed Derek Jeter's Disease.

I'm so glad that Derek Jeter Ice Bucket Challenge bullshit is finally over.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

loving giants

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Verlander is disgracing the game by not sleeping with people and giving them elaborate personalized DJ2 Final Season baseball gift baskets.

Winners don't pull out!

Beller
Apr 9, 2009

Lorini posted:

If Don Mattingly, a terrible tactician whose only purported value is in "handling difficult personalities", isn't able to convince Kemp that moving to left is in the best interests of the team then he should probably be fired.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Beller posted:

If Don Mattingly, a terrible tactician whose only purported value is in "handling difficult personalities", isn't able to convince Kemp that moving to left is in the best interests of the team then he should probably be fired.

At the end of the day, there's no 'convincing' about it. Kemp was really mad when Mattingly moved him to left earlier in the season even though it was obvious Kemp was awful in center. Kemp has been hitting a lot better since he was moved to right. Related? Who knows. It's pretty clear Kemp has his own feelings about where he should play, team be damned. Even a casual fan such as myself could see he couldn't play CF anymore, but Kemp refused to accept it. Ever since he left CF the team improved tremendously defensively.

I like Kemp a lot, but as we all know, ball players can be very proud and very stubborn as a result, and I think that's what happened.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Der Meister posted:

loving brewers

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Beller posted:

Kemp was not a good left fielder. Moving him to left would actually be detrimental to the team.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Mickey Lolich hosed 12 of my older female relatives.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm happy the Cubs are winning, but I'm sad that their doing so helps the evil, godless Cardinals.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ya, I retract my previous optimism. The Cardinals are going to win the world series. Why did I expect better from a world where people behead journalists to make stupid rhetorical points.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Owns.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
She's writing the schedule on the ball so he doesn't forget.

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

Lorini posted:

Carl Crawford is god awful, Puig is still one of the best hitters in baseball even with him going 0 for August, and Pederson has started about a third of his career games in left. You either play Pederson in place of Crawford/Ethier, or you use him as a bench bat.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Let's not forget Pederson did all that in the PCL, which isn't translatable to major league success in any way.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Ya, I retract my previous optimism. The Cardinals are going to win the world series. Why did I expect better from a world where people behead journalists to make stupid rhetorical points.

Don't worry, it's the Giants year anyway

Gotta keep the Giants/Cards/Giants/Cards NL champ rotation going

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
If the Cardinals win the World Series with a negative run differential, I will be really annoyed. :toxx:

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Mornacale posted:

If the Cardinals win the World Series with a negative run differential, I will be really annoyed. :toxx:

Don't worry, despite the inevitable postseason appearance, they hardly look like a contender. No clutch factor, except for Yadi and Adam of course. I don't see a Freese on this years team.
Oh what do i know, i just hate the Cardinals. :argh:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Mornacale posted:

Quoting for posterity

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Deathlove posted:

"Break up the Cubs," I said sarcastically, I assume all responsibility for Castro and Rizzo.

I wonder if Castro is done for the season. It's "just a strain" but I'm not sure what they get out of rushing him back into the lineup.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011

Mornacale posted:

They can't win the World Series if the Giants are in it :sigh:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

tadashi posted:

I wonder if Castro is done for the season. It's "just a strain" but I'm not sure what they get out of rushing him back into the lineup.

Shut him down. We're not playing for anything right now, anyway.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

tadashi posted:

Yeah, it's four weeks of games, not worth the effort. Let everyone heal and get healthy. Also if the Cubs start losing again, then the Cardinals won't win the Central, if I am to understand how baseball works.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: I had no idea: Dominican players bring home-made Dominican food for the Dominican players on the visiting team so they don't miss their favorite foods when they're away from home:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...4390_story.html

V: :unsmith: Baseball is wonderful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

tadashi posted:

N: I had no idea: Dominican players bring home-made Dominican food for the Dominican players on the visiting team so they don't miss their favorite foods when they're away from home:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...4390_story.html

V: :unsmith: Baseball is wonderful

That is really really cool :unsmith:

Edit: and Vlad Guerrero is the one credited with starting it. Of course.

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 3, 2014

• Locked thread