Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Snagged G1 Iguanus for $60 on a road trip over the weekend. I've never been "this guy" but I'm starting to think that I need to start collecting G1 more seriously. Lots of interesting transformation schemes, and the plastic density is always incredibly high (GPS notwithstanding). I'm starting to really finally accept that $16 for an articulated piece of poo poo is a much dumber move than saving $16 toward a high-quality vintage toy with tons of documentation regarding its overall quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I don't know how good that would be. The superhero transformers sort of do that, and I think besides one Hulk version, they've all been super wonky and gross.

I think for me the notion of a robot turning into a human sort of defeats the purpose of what I like about Transformers. I could see it working maybe if the humans all had ridiculous scaling and occupations; like maybe if it was robots that turned into early 90s style WWF occupational wrestlers.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Is Toyworld Nemesis Orion out yet? I'd like one in place of not getting an evasion mode nemesis.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Captain Magic posted:

I think for me the notion of a robot turning into a human sort of defeats the purpose of what I like about Transformers. I could see it working maybe if the humans all had ridiculous scaling and occupations; like maybe if it was robots that turned into early 90s style WWF occupational wrestlers.

I've been fantasizing about that for quite a while. Dusty Rhodes garbage truck, Undertaker hearse, etc.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Anora posted:

I'd be happy for even more uses of it and the Arcee, Ripclaw and Vehicon molds.

Other then 2 Wheeljacks, Dead End and the Con exclusive Chromedome, who has it been used as? That hardly seems excessive, especially one is just a con exclusive and another is dolled up a bit to give it some pizzaz.

He was also retooled as Arms Micron Wildrider, which looks nice. It's plenty for a relatively new mold.

Also yeah it's a crime that pretty much every predacon got at least a repaint except for Ripclaw who was one of the best.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

As long as I'm bitching about plastic quality in the TF thread (again) can any of my plastic snob bros give me information about how Leader Jetfire is? I imagine he's pretty terrible but I am up for being pleasantly surprised.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Blackheart posted:

Man, you mean use it even more? The Prime WJ mold has seen a lot of use.

I won't be satisfied until he's retooled into Hot Rod.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Ka0 posted:

Is Toyworld Nemesis Orion out yet? I'd like one in place of not getting an evasion mode nemesis.

TFsource says yep!

http://tfsource.com/toyworld/black-orion/

40 bucks more gets you an MP10-B, which I would thoroughly recommend; even so, that one looks killer.

Anybody have a Mania King/thoughts on him? The vintage color version looks rad.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Silhouette posted:

I won't be satisfied until he's retooled into Hot Rod.

I would love this, as it would put me one step closer to having a full set of the 1986 movie TFs. Got Kup, Springer, Arcee (sorta, until the real Arcee comes out), and Ultra Magnus. Just need a Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime, Blurr, and Perceptor.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There is a deluxe Perceptor that is pretty faithful to the movie bot mode already?

Blurr could use a cybertronian vehicle mode, though.

Sockser posted:

Am I alone in thinking that cybertronian vehicles are dumb?
No I'm sure you can hang out in the club house with 1984forever and the like!

But Blurr's original toy was a cybertronian blob of plastic, so some people would prefer they get such a Blurr in updated form.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 2, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Sockser posted:

Not really, I think the majority would probably agree. Especially the ones from the eighties.
They aren't terribly well designed most of the time.

I recall reviews of wfc complaining about the altmodes being "shapes with wheels/wings" instead of something recognizable, and wfc/foc has some of the best cybertronian vehicle design. I kind of wish they'd use "cybertronian" as an excuse to use vehicles resembling ones from other sci fi franchises, like the using cars from blade runner or making a devcon that turns into the bebop from cowboy bebop if it weren't for overzealous copyright laws

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 2, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

There were cybertronian modes in the 80s? Christ.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Have you ever seen the 1980's Transformers movie and the toys based on them, and then the things that came after (like the pretenders)

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Sockser posted:

There were cybertronian modes in the 80s? Christ.

It was in part an intentional choice due to Hasbro getting more and more nervous about how accurate the Diaclone molds were to the real unlicensed vehicles they turned into. Hasbro can't own the likeness rights to a Lamborghini, but they can own the image rights to whatever the gently caress Kup turns into.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I always just assumed they were stylized for animation. I didn't realize the toys were that poo poo as well. Goddamn.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Sockser posted:

I always just assumed they were stylized for animation. I didn't realize the toys were that poo poo as well. Goddamn.

You're so silly though, what about awesome Cybertronian alt modes like Cyclonus?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Sockser posted:

Kup is awesome, what is wrong with you?

Sorry that was mean.

Cybertronian alt modes are great though, usually it allows for a decent vehicle and robot, especially in G1. Look at those wheeljack pictures up there compared to someone like Kup or Hot Rod, where they still basically had monoleg and no real arm articulation, but had mostly human proportions.

And some of the better more recent toys are straight up Cybertronian alt modes. Springer, Ripclaw, and Warpath are all things that don't exist on earth.

Edit: More uses of the Gen Warpath would be great too.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm not sure Warpath or Springer are supposed to represent cybertronian altmodes, just made-up earth vehicles. Not that there's much of a difference at that point, but oh well.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Yeah, the '86 movie cast are actually supposed to be Earth vehicles of the far flung future of 2005, not Cybertronian vehicles. It's not entirely unfair to lump them into the Cybertronian category, though, just given the aesthetics of the Cybertronian vehicles that came later, and the high likelihood that human tech in the G1 2005 would be based heavily on shared Autobot tech.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh yeah I meant the generations toy versions, but what you say might be true too. They were aiming for "futuristic" instead of straight up cybertronian. Like, the tetrajets and Shockwave are clearly intended to be cybertronian, on the other hand.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Where's my Wheeljack toy that turns into a box with a spoiler, Hasbro? Also a G1-styled Dion please.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Anora posted:

Edit: More uses of the Gen Warpath would be great too.

There was that Strika repaint that looked good but it was a 'Con exclusive. Kinda silly when we don't have nearly enough female Transformers in stores.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

You're so silly though, what about awesome Cybertronian alt modes like Cyclonus?

The ones that still look like real things are cool. like Cyclonus or (I guess) Springer

But stuff like CYBERTRONIAN TRUCK

Are not, and constantly seeing poo poo like that on shelves is what made me not want to buy transformers for a long time.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
When I think 80s cybertronian the first thing that comes to mind is the sweet, sweet seeker design.

Bumblebee also had a good one:

Too bad I'm not going to buy an entire set of 3rd party cybertronian seekers.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheDK posted:

Too bad I'm not going to buy an entire set of 3rd party cybertronian seekers.
Why not? $130 for seven seems like a good deal if you like tetrajets!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

The MSJ posted:

Kinda silly when we don't have nearly enough female Transformers in stores.

Aren't there like maybe 15 or 20 we know about anyway? You have Arcee, Chromia, Elita-1, Flamewar and the other three or four that showed up in that one G1 episode. Blackarachnia, Airrazor, Botanica and Strika from BW/M (does the protoform count as one? I though it was listed as a she somewhere). I know of like two minicons and the boat lady from the Unicron Trilogy. A few in animated. Airachnid (which could use a new figure, hell, voyager her up so you actually do those helicoptor blades as spider legs thing) and Ripclaw from Prime. Then Windblade was just made recently.

Not a huge well to tap there.

Speaking of wells to tap, where are the rest of the Voyaget Triple changers, Hasbro? Get me my drat Aircraft/+ carrier and Spacebus.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Why not? $130 for seven seems like a good deal if you like tetrajets!
The reason is I've already invested in a classics seeker line-up and that isn't even complete (ramjet :argh:)

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Huh, the Impossibletoys tetrajets are only $130 for the full set now? That's not too bad a price, they may be be pretty ugly sculpt wise but they're surprisingly sturdy figures for how rough they look.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I should stop buying deluxe figures. The only ones I've been happy with recently have been Statscream, skywarp, and crosshairs.

Wasting a lot of money on these loving dinobots.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Sockser posted:

Are not, and constantly seeing poo poo like that on shelves is what made me not want to buy transformers for a long time.

The last part of G1 was great toy wise, and I will not hear you say otherwise.

Sockser posted:

Wasting a lot of money on these loving dinobots.

Every single one of them that I have has been good, but with a huge glaring flaw that just destroys the figure. Be it gorilla arms, huge weird holes in one mode, or just general fiddlyness. It just sucks so much, they could have just done one or two things different on any one of the figures and they'd be solid, but they just hosed them up so bad in one or two ways that it kills the whole thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Meanwhile I am 100% satisfied with scorn, slug and strafe

That's my opinion on Deluxe Dinobots

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Anora posted:

Every single one of them that I have has been good, but with a huge glaring flaw that just destroys the figure. Be it gorilla arms, huge weird holes in one mode, or just general fiddlyness. It just sucks so much, they could have just done one or two things different on any one of the figures and they'd be solid, but they just hosed them up so bad in one or two ways that it kills the whole thing.

Yeah, I agree with this. While Scorn is really close to being okay, I think I have to chalk the AoE Dinobots up as regretted purchases at this point. poo poo's gotta tab together, Hasbro.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I feel like I'd like the AoE dinobots more if I didn't have Ripclaw, or had a lot of the BW figures. As those pull off the stuff the AoE line wants to do, but leagues better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alrighty. What of the IDW series deals with the war on earth, chronologically? I see a shitload of miniseries like Megatron Origins and poo poo but I want to see IDW's take on the earth war because apparently poo poo gets right hosed up and winds up with Thundercracker living in a shack secretly making terrible attempts at terran scriptwriting with his dog, Jazz killed a guy, and like 20% of the human population was wiped out by the war.

I caught up to RID and MTMTE and it's made me want to go back and read prior entries in the IDWverse dealing with the earth conflict.

edit: this is a really great page
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Rewind_%28G1%29#IDW_Generation_1_continuity

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 3, 2014

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Captain Magic posted:

TFsource says yep!

http://tfsource.com/toyworld/black-orion/

40 bucks more gets you an MP10-B, which I would thoroughly recommend; even so, that one looks killer.

I have an MP10-B, he is the centerpiece of my scourge/black shrine.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Captain Magic posted:

I have the Vintage color one and am not sure if I'm going to keep him.

He's a GREAT looking Galvatron, but his transformation is pretty difficult and there are parts of him where the plastic feels slightly weak. Mine also has a little bubble on the plastic where the arm cannon would tab into his cannon mode so I can't actually put him into that mode at all. He also has gorilla arms if you are against such things ... even with them he can still hit some good poses. I feel like if he was close to $70 - $80 hr'd be pretty great but at slightly over $100 a little bit lacking.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Anora posted:

Speaking of wells to tap, where are the rest of the Voyaget Triple changers, Hasbro? Get me my drat Aircraft/+ carrier and Spacebus.

If they do Spacebus, it better be better than Blitzwing.

Captain Invictus posted:

Alrighty. What of the IDW series deals with the war on earth, chronologically? I see a shitload of miniseries like Megatron Origins and poo poo but I want to see IDW's take on the earth war because apparently poo poo gets right hosed up and winds up with Thundercracker living in a shack secretly making terrible attempts at terran scriptwriting with his dog, Jazz killed a guy, and like 20% of the human population was wiped out by the war.

That would be All Hail Megatron, which was recently in the Humble Bundle, and the first ongoing series directly following it. Jazz didn't have his incident till near the end/midway through the ongoing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 3, 2014

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Everything is up, you heard it here first

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/transformers?BR=496&PG=1&ST=NW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sweet. Snagged Windblade, Sky-Byte, and Nightbeat.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 3, 2014