Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's homosexually hetrosexual !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Deakul posted:

Arrow turned into generic cringey CW garbage this last season, I'm not sure I can safely recommend it to anyone anymore.

Arrow's quality increases drastically if you fast forward through the Laurel scenes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Space Pussy posted:

Arrow's quality increases drastically if you fast forward through the Laurel scenes.

Then you have to deal with Sarah acting(i use this term loosely here) like an idiot.

I think the show is improved drastically if you just fast forward to the action sequences.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Deakul posted:

Then you have to deal with Sarah acting(i use this term loosely here) like an idiot.

I think the show is improved drastically if you just fast forward to the action sequences.

Are there any scene groups that have just cut out the CW drama crap? I watched about half a season before I got sick of it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gannicus and Tiberius are in the new season of Strike Back.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Seconding the recommendations of Strike Back and Nikita, and adding Banshee. It's part thriller, part Western, about a hosed up farming town. Shares the title with Strike Back for the best action on television, and gets bonus Spartacus points for the lead being played by a Kiwi. (What is it about that country and action stars?) There's a slight rough patch at the start of the first season, but it's pretty great from about episode six onwards.

Arrow's plot is tawdry nonsense, and some of the leads can't act very well. There's some sweet action, but the "character" stuff is headbanging.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rocksicles posted:

Gannicus and Tiberius are in the new season of Strike Back.

The only thing that I don't like about this is that it means Gannicus probably can't keep the Spartacus alumni reunion going on Arrow. Maybe next season.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Arrow's plot is tawdry nonsense, and some of the leads can't act very well. There's some sweet action, but the "character" stuff is headbanging.

It's a comic book show, of course the plot is goofy as hell. Also this pretty much describes Strike Back, Nikita, and Banshee as well. I think the biggest knock on Arrow if you're just looking for cool action shows is that the CW-level forced drama gets in the way quite a bit sometimes, but it's still worth checking out. The fight choreography and their practical effects are fantastic.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

I couldn't make it more than 3 episodes into Arrow, it was everything you'd expect from a low rent comic book show mixed in with CW bullshit.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
From like episode 7 or 8 it was just balls out awesome. If you can't wade through, it's your loss. Spartacus was no different

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rocksicles posted:

From like episode 7 or 8 it was just balls out awesome. If you can't wade through, it's your loss. Spartacus was no different

Spartacus did not have CW levels of poorly written cringetastic angsty drama.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Yeah enough with the "it's like Spartacus" bullshit. There's been maybe 3-4 shows in all of television history that went from extremely loving garbage to amazing and some dumb comic book Gossip Girl hybrid ain't one of them.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

Yeah enough with the "it's like Spartacus" bullshit. There's been maybe 3-4 shows in all of television history that went from extremely loving garbage to amazing and some dumb comic book Gossip Girl hybrid ain't one of them.

Plenty of us disagree - and we've actually seen more than 3 episodes, so...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

Well I've seen 9 episodes and I disagree with you disagreeing. :colbert:

Not everyone can stomach the forced CW drama, just accept it and move on.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

BreakAtmo posted:

Hey thank god all it takes is looking to the back page to see more goons who actually kept watching more than 3 episodes to see that no, it's nothing like Spartacus unless you want to go back searching the old Spartacus threads showing that over half of the thread was talking about how terrible it was in season 4 or that you should be fast forwarding through parts of it (spoiler: they weren't because it wasn't)

Deakul posted:

Arrow turned into generic cringey CW garbage this last season, I'm not sure I can safely recommend it to anyone anymore.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nope, he's pretty much right. Arrow is not good if you don't like comic books. Its made for the same people that think The Avengers was a triumph of modern film.

Space Pussy posted:

deong posted:

Are there any scene groups that have just cut out the CW drama crap? I watched about half a season before I got sick of it.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wachepti posted:

Arrow is nothing like Spartacus and is not a good show unless you are super into comic books. Manu Bennett is not in it enough.

Torrannor posted:

Arrow's first season was good (except the Huntress arc early), but I stopped watching in the middle of the second season.

rapeface posted:

I started Arrow because I liked Nikita and people in there recommended it. If you aren't a superhero fan, it's just okay and actively bad at times. Overall, it's a good semi-realistic superhero series (and it made Amazing Spiderman 2 look even more like garbage) but not good enough to recommend. It also has the super annoying Lost thing where people act out of character to make fake drama.

Xoidanor posted:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tool

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

Hey, I don't have an issue with someone not liking it, just with someone thinking they know more about a show they've seen 3 episodes of than people who have seen all 40-something episodes and acting like some kind of authority on it. I don't like the CW poo poo either - I rolled my eyes at it on Arrow while enjoying the other parts, and part of the reason why I love the show is that in Season 2 the crappy melodrama was toned down a hell of a lot in favour of better character development and badass action scenes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BreakAtmo posted:

Hey, I don't have an issue with someone not liking it, just with someone thinking they know more about a show they've seen 3 episodes of than people who have seen all 40-something episodes and acting like some kind of authority on it. I don't like the CW poo poo either - I rolled my eyes at it on Arrow while enjoying the other parts, and part of the reason why I love the show is that in Season 2 the crappy melodrama was toned down a hell of a lot in favour of better character development and badass action scenes.

Also dancing

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hey thank god all it takes is looking to the back page to see more goons who actually kept watching more than 3 episodes to see that no, it's nothing like Spartacus unless you want to go back searching the old Spartacus threads showing that over half of the thread was talking about how terrible it was in season 4 or that you should be fast forwarding through parts of it (spoiler: they weren't because it wasn't)

Actually I was referring to disagreeing with the idea that Arrow didn't become great and not referring to comparisons with Spartacus, nor was I talking about opinions specifically in this thread, but thanks for putting an amusing amount of effort into your useless post.

To paraphase Xoidanor, plenty of people think Arrow owns, accept it and move on.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also dancing

Ahh, Manu Bennett. Truly a nationalglobal treasure.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

BreakAtmo posted:

Actually I was referring to disagreeing with the idea that Arrow didn't become great and not referring to comparisons with Spartacus, nor was I talking about opinions specifically in this thread, but thanks for putting an amusing amount of effort into your useless post.

To paraphase Xoidanor, plenty of people think Arrow owns, accept it and move on.

Yeah no, maybe you should go back and reread and not try to move goal posts after your retard opinion is proven wrong. Several of the quotes either say they stopped watching it in well after season 1 was established (unlike Spartacus which only took 4-5 episodes), stopped watching it in season 2 (Gods of the Arena is beloved, so again unlike Spartacus), or that it nosedived into CW horse poo poo in its current season (which Spartacus didn't do).

So again, the show is nothing like Spartacus and you incessantly repeating it to yourself because you're sad you're still watching a lovely show most goons now won't even touch is hilarious.

P.s. finding quotes from one page takes all of 60 seconds

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Arrow is garbage hope this helps the nerd debate

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Yeah no, maybe you should go back and reread and not try to move goal posts after your retard opinion is proven wrong. Several of the quotes either say they stopped watching it in well after season 1 was established (unlike Spartacus which only took 4-5 episodes), stopped watching it in season 2 (Gods of the Arena is beloved, so again unlike Spartacus), or that it nosedived into CW horse poo poo in its current season (which Spartacus didn't do).

So again, the show is nothing like Spartacus and you incessantly repeating it to yourself because you're sad you're still watching a lovely show most goons now won't even touch is hilarious.

P.s. finding quotes from one page takes all of 60 seconds

...What the gently caress are you even babbling, dude? I don't think Arrow is 'like Spartacus'. Which is what I just wrote:

BreakAtmo posted:

(I was...) not referring to comparisons with Spartacus, nor was I talking about opinions specifically in this thread

so of course you think I was comparing it with Spartacus, and 'prove me wrong' with opinions specifically in this thread.

Also, haha, you think you can 'prove' someone's taste in a show 'wrong'. Extract your head from your rear end, dude.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

I couldn't make it more than 3 episodes into Arrow, it was everything you'd expect from a low rent comic book show mixed in with CW bullshit.

Rocksicles posted:

Deakul posted:

Spartacus did not have CW levels of poorly written cringetastic angsty drama.

BreakAtmo posted:

Before you go try editing it to make yourself look less stupid. The two of you are quite clearly comparing it to Spartacus, after I show you that the general consensus is that no, it's nothing like Spartacus you're now trying to claim you didn't say it was like Spartacus :lol:

I'm so sorry you raged out over someone mentioning your nerd obsession is poo poo and then lost track of your original argument.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Before you go try editing it to make yourself look less stupid. The two of you are quite clearly comparing it to Spartacus, after I show you that the general consensus is that no, it's nothing like Spartacus you're now trying to claim you didn't say it was like Spartacus :lol:

Don't know about the other two, but I never compared it to Spartacus. I wasn't following on with their argument - I didn't even pay attention to it. I was disagreeing with this:

There's been maybe 3-4 shows in all of television history that went from extremely loving garbage to amazing and some dumb comic book Gossip Girl hybrid ain't one of them.

and I'm not required to spoonfeed my exact thoughts to you. You can call me a liar/accuse me of moving goalposts until your fingers are broken and you'll still be wrong. I don't think Arrow was like Spartacus, except in the general sense of 'improving over time' - and their progression in quality (IMO, obviously) was wildly different.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just said Spartacus started badly comparing his 3 episode shut out of Arrow, Spartacus took 4 episodes to get any good. thats where my comparison ended. He's just being a douche

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

I just said Spartacus started badly comparing his 3 episode shut out of Arrow, Spartacus took 4 episodes to get any good. thats where my comparison ended. He's just being a douche

I actually remember Spartacus being relatively good from episode 2 - although I only saw those episodes once, when they first hit. My memory of Spartacus is that the pilot was laughably godawful, followed by a big quality jump in ep2, followed by a gradual improvement over the next few episodes. Then there was the loving awesome episode 5, and the show stayed loving awesome from then on. Of course, my opinion might change with a rewatch - I really need to get the whole season. I wish the version with the statue was cheaper. :(

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tend to agree, the first episode was poor in a lot of ways. But the general feeling is, the first 3 or 4 episodes were the poorest.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

:laffo: you weren't following the conversation, tried to start a completely inept and retarded argument and after every single point of yours is shown to be wrong you still blame the other person.

:golfclap:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
like i said. "Douche". Have fun with your teen angst.

loving idiot

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

:laffo: you weren't following the conversation, tried to start a completely inept and retarded argument and after every single point of yours is shown to be wrong you still blame the other person.

:golfclap:

Wow... you really, really care a lot about internet arguments, don't you? My point was that plenty of people disagree with the idea that Arrow didn't improve over time, and they do. For examples, try the Arrow thread, or (from what I could find) almost any review of the second season. Or maybe not, I really don't care.

Rocksicles posted:

like i said. "Douche". Have fun with your teen angst.

loving idiot

Also this.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

BreakAtmo posted:

Wow... you really, really care a lot about internet arguments, don't you? My point was that plenty of people disagree with the idea that Arrow didn't improve over time, and they do. For examples, try the Arrow thread, or (from what I could find) almost any review of the second season. Or maybe not, I really don't care.

Yawn, still trying to play the :effort: game despite the fact you two are clearly putting just as much into it while also being whiney loving babies over many people in the thread saying the show is poo poo.

And again :lol: at your down's syndrome logic of "go into the thread with the people who still stick around watching it to determine its true value!!!"

About as pathetic as your entire argument being disproven. Move some more goalposts.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Guys chill, take this crap to some free forum that I don't read.

Arrow's a fine enough show that sorely lacks references to Jupiter's cock. If you like Manu Bennett in Spartacus maybe watch Arrow because it's pretty much the only way you'll see more of him, and he has a pretty big role in S2. I'm not a big comic book nerd (the Arrow thread frequently talks about characters that I haven't got a clue who those nerds are on about) but I do geek about the show all the same. It's definitely on the pulpier side of things.

Maybe it helps that I'm British and don't really know what "CW" is because I don't believe I've watched any other "CW" shows. Anyway let's just all focus on the fact that Spartacus fans should be chill and like that Manu Bennett is still picking up pay checks.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
And Gannicus is going to have a dick slinging competition with Damien Scott in Strike Back

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

incredible bear posted:

Maybe it helps that I'm British and don't really know what "CW" is because I don't believe I've watched any other "CW" shows. Anyway let's just all focus on the fact that Spartacus fans should be chill and like that Manu Bennett is still picking up pay checks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWTL5pKYofY

That sums up the spirit of 'CW' even though it didn't actually come on the CW channel. It's basically the catch phrase for super teenage emo relationship type bullshit that escalates into more and more insane dumb poo poo.

edit: Yes the song is actually there, it's not a youtube mix up, really dumb music choices in high drama situations is CW basic 101 these days

Vag Assault Weapon fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 28, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Yawn, still trying to play the :effort: game despite the fact you two are clearly putting just as much into it while also being whiney loving babies over many people in the thread saying the show is poo poo.

Sure thing, dude. Except that 'care' is not the same as 'effort'. We're putting in the same amount of effort, but you care WAY too much.

quote:

And again :lol: at your down's syndrome logic of "go into the thread with the people who still stick around watching it to determine its true value!!!"

About as pathetic as your entire argument being disproven. Move some more goalposts.

Ahahaha, holy poo poo you are dumb.

incredible bear posted:

Guys chill, take this crap to some free forum that I don't read.

Arrow's a fine enough show that sorely lacks references to Jupiter's cock. If you like Manu Bennett in Spartacus maybe watch Arrow because it's pretty much the only way you'll see more of him, and he has a pretty big role in S2. I'm not a big comic book nerd (the Arrow thread frequently talks about characters that I haven't got a clue who those nerds are on about) but I do geek about the show all the same. It's definitely on the pulpier side of things.

Yeah, no problem. For reference, 'CW poo poo' generally refers to the tendency of CW shows to have a lot rather overblown teen/twentysomething melodrama since they have a largew fanbase of young people who eat that stuff up. Think stuff like the Ollie/Laurel romance stuff, mainly earlier on.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 28, 2014

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

BreakAtmo posted:

Sure thing, dude. Except that 'care' is not the same as 'effort'. We're putting in the same amount of effort, but you care WAY too much.

BreakAtmo posted:

nor was I talking about opinions specifically in this thread, but thanks for putting an amusing amount of effort into your useless post.

At this point I don't even need to be adding anything I can just keep quoting you humiliating yourself from here on out.

:)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
'Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list'

So anyway

NSFW

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

'Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list'

So anyway

NSFW

Beautiful. I wonder if the writers watched Equilibrium.

It's a shame Spartacus had to end, even if it was a great ending. We need to get the crew to just make an endless series of action shorts where they use all the crazy executions that they never got the chance to do.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Midnight City posted:

Arrow is garbage hope this helps the nerd debate

TV and movies will be a much better place once everybody remembers that comics are really stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWTL5pKYofY

That sums up the spirit of 'CW' even though it didn't actually come on the CW channel. It's basically the catch phrase for super teenage emo relationship type bullshit that escalates into more and more insane dumb poo poo.

It did give us one hell of an SNL sketch though.
http://youtu.be/vmd1qMN5Yo0

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 28, 2014

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BreakAtmo posted:

You can't be serious.

Sarah at the last second of the end of season 2: "I-I just remembered... I... I KILLED PEOPLE! I must go... GOODBYE!"

Or even Slade to Laurel at the end of an episode: "OLIVER... IS THE ARROW!" *walks away*

Laurel talking to Black Canary(which is just Sarah with... an even blonder wig on top of her already blonde hair? And a domino mask and cleavage outfit) "You should meet my sister she's the best and bravest and greatest person I ever met!... even though she hosed my boyfriend and then pretended to be dead for a number of years thus effectively destroying the family."

I could probably go on forever.

edit: I think the number one thing that really killed a lot of the goodwill I had for the show was how they handled Slade's turn to the darkside and basically attributing it all to Ollie being responsible for Shado's death, a character we barely knew and were somehow supposed to believe that her and Slade were in love.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Deakul posted:

were somehow supposed to believe that her and Slade were in love.

Well, that's how Slade sees it anyway. No, that's not how it is in reality but he's also not stable by that point.

• Locked thread