Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Julia Child's potato gratin with anchovy (gratin de pommes de terre aux anchois) from Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol. 1 is pretty great:

It walks a delicious line between gratin and quiche when you use eggs whisked in cream rather than her suggestion that béchamel will also work. I'll probably crank out a scaled batch for Christmas supper as it is easy to pre-prep before things get busy and then slide in the oven when ready.

Post the recipe please because I don't have that book but I want that pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
This thread has sung the praises of beans as cheap and tasty, so I was hoping for some help; I bought great northern beans thinking they were canellini beans, but a cursory google indicates they are not the same thing. I was hoping to make a dip for carrots and spread for sandwiches. Will great northern purée up nicely the same way the canellini beans do or should I look for another use for the ones I currently have soaking?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

E: ^^^ Use the beans, they will work fine and dandy :)

I freeze my own corn* when it is 5/$1.00 as it is now and the same for winter squash when in season and cheap after I roast it. And am not afraid to stock frozen spinach/peas/green beans straight from the Grover's freezer. And will frequently prep and freeze bell peppers when cheap to thaw and drain before adding to a trinity or whatever. Frozen veggies are fine, you just need to figure out what works for you - gently caress frozen carrots in the ear.

* With bonus pile of cobs leftover to turn into a few batches of corncob jelly as in the OP in the canning thread. :yum:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Post the recipe please because I don't have that book but I want that pie.

Straight from the source.

It might work okay in a pie shell, but I would leave it as-is. And her estimate of four servings seems pretty spot on as a goodly side to protein and veggie. But I like it standalone after cooling to room temp as a light lunch on the deck.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Butch Cassidy posted:

I freeze my own corn* when it is 5/$1.00 as it is now and the same for winter squash when in season and cheap after I roast it. And am not afraid to stock frozen spinach/peas/green beans straight from the Grover's freezer. And will frequently prep and freeze bell peppers when cheap to thaw and drain before adding to a trinity or whatever. Frozen veggies are fine, you just need to figure out what works for you - gently caress frozen carrots in the ear.

* With bonus pile of cobs leftover to turn into a few batches of corncob jelly as in the OP in the canning thread. :yum:

What kind of process do you use for prepping and freezing squash?

Also - I buy copious amounts of bananas and freeze them for shakes when they go black.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

When I don't want to spend 30 minutes cooking, or dirty up a bunch of dishes, or stink up my apartment, I've just been doing 1 pack of ramen, 1/2 cup frozen vegetables (peas carrots corn green beans), drain most of the broth and then crack an egg into it. Surprisingly filling and it's probably about 60 cents a serving. The ramen alone is 400-somethign calories.

Another fun one is to slice up 4 potatoes, fry them up in some oil, when they are close to done toss in a sliced onion (optional), and then buy smoked sausage of whatever variety you like and slice that up and toss it in there for the last 7-8 minutes. $1.99 for the sausage and $2.99 buys you a giant sack of potatoes that will go bad before you finish them all.

Add shredded cheese and hot sauce for a bonus.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

Figured this would be just as good as asking in general: buddy of mine brought over some deer and has the bones and bits sitting in water at home for the last day or so. Can I still use them to make stock? Never made stock with anything before so I don't know how the prep is supposed to be or really anything about making stock in general. Glanced at some recipes but it was all chicken a long time ago. Posting from phone while I'm out.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

CanUSayGym posted:

Figured this would be just as good as asking in general: buddy of mine brought over some deer and has the bones and bits sitting in water at home for the last day or so. Can I still use them to make stock? Never made stock with anything before so I don't know how the prep is supposed to be or really anything about making stock in general. Glanced at some recipes but it was all chicken a long time ago. Posting from phone while I'm out.

Yes, and it will be delicious! Just simmer those bones and bits for about a day.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

CommonShore posted:

What kind of process do you use for prepping and freezing squash?

I just halve and seed a few squash, rub the flesh with salt and oil, roast cut side down in a very hot oven until done, cube out of the skin, and serve. I usually fill the oven with the buggers and the pile-o-leftover gets cubed and packed into freezer tubs for future mashification/addition to quiche/fold into risotto/whatever.

Also, eggplants are everywhere and you all should have been making enough ratatouille to need a change of pace. And being poor, you eat a lot of hummus. Make baba ghanoush and serve with some naan, cucumber slices, and whatever veggies.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Butch Cassidy posted:

I just halve and seed a few squash, rub the flesh with salt and oil, roast cut side down in a very hot oven until done, cube out of the skin, and serve. I usually fill the oven with the buggers and the pile-o-leftover gets cubed and packed into freezer tubs for future mashification/addition to quiche/fold into risotto/whatever.

Also, eggplants are everywhere and you all should have been making enough ratatouille to need a change of pace. And being poor, you eat a lot of hummus. Make baba ghanoush and serve with some naan, cucumber slices, and whatever veggies.

My grandmother used to do this thing with eggplant.

Fat (around 1cm) slices of eggplant, salted and pan fried;

Then in a pan she'd briefly cook down some sliced tomato, with wafer thin slices of garlic (heaps of them) and a touch of red wine vinegar. Later I'd also get her to add fresh basil and parsley but it wasn't part of the original recipe. This would all be spooned on top of the eggplant.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Doing that on top of some pasta, tomorrow.

E: I might bread and fry the eggplant rounds before topping with some caramelized tomato slices and sweat the garlic slices in oil to toss with the pasta and give the whole plate a light spritz with vinegar. Might even make homemade tagliatelle rather than use dried pasta.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 5, 2014

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Butch Cassidy posted:

Make baba ghanoush and serve with some naan, cucumber slices, and whatever veggies.
oooooh, I love this stuff from the local Egyptian food truck. I also roast eggplant all the time but it never occurred to me to go another step and put it through the food processor. So doing this tonight.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Butch Cassidy posted:

Make baba ghanoush and serve with some naan, cucumber slices, and whatever veggies.

This was done last night and it was good. Thanks for posting it.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Made a really bare bones lentil and potato curry to eat for a couple lunches/dinners. Not sure if I got it here or I nabbed it from "How to cook everything" before my trial ran out on my phone.

1 cup lentils (I could only find brown, think recipe wanted red?)
2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
3 1/2 cups coconut milk/water/stock
The recipe says 1 tbps curry powder, but I just dumped a bunch in (will use paste next time for better flavor)

Throw everything but the potatoes in a pot over med-high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to med-low to gently simmer for 15 minutes, partially covered.
Add potatoes and cook another 10 minutes with lid on completely, then add water if the lentils need it.
Cook another 5-10 minutes until potatoes are tender.

So yeah next time I'll add some more stuff to it and hopefully be able to find some goat cheese to go with it because it would have made it so much better.

Good way to use up some potatoes too outside of breakfast or making oven fries.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Try it with sweet potatoes instead of regular and add some kale.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
The reason it wasn't as good as it could be is because you didn't bloom the curry powder in fat. Do so next time and your home will smell amazing and the food will taste good.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades

Butch Cassidy posted:

Will definitely try the corn. Is there a worse frozen veg than carrots

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

OlyMike posted:

Will definitely try the corn. Is there a worse frozen veg than carrots

Mushrooms.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Don't think I've ever seen frozen shrooms here. That seems like a bad idea but also the only way to make mushrooms worse than the canned poo poo.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, this week I made gumbo from the first page of this thread, and I just got done freezing the rest in portion bags. I've got a leftover box of creole hush puppy mix that I wanna use for something other than gumbo and hush puppies, but I'm kinda stuck on ideas. See, I've got $20 till Tuesday, and tomorrow I'm going to be spending $15 of it on stuff for halupkis, so I need inspiration for things that can be made with/along side creole hush puppy mix for dinner tonight.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

neogeo0823 posted:

So, this week I made gumbo from the first page of this thread, and I just got done freezing the rest in portion bags. I've got a leftover box of creole hush puppy mix that I wanna use for something other than gumbo and hush puppies, but I'm kinda stuck on ideas. See, I've got $20 till Tuesday, and tomorrow I'm going to be spending $15 of it on stuff for halupkis, so I need inspiration for things that can be made with/along side creole hush puppy mix for dinner tonight.

Collard greens would be a good side to go along with this at least.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
BudgetBytes had been doing the "SNAP challenge where she tries to eat on $4.50 a day. She posted an update on the first week and what went wrong, how things haven't worked out because of some mistakes, etc

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/snap-challenge-week-1-summary/

My friends are absolutely up in arms over her choice to buy "too expensive" rice because "taste is a luxury." She clearly admits she messed up a few ways and had to cheat with reaching into her pantry and yes if she had gone with the 70 cents a lb rice she could have probably bought them, but I don't think this is a bad thing she's attempting, is it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Adult Sword Owner posted:

BudgetBytes had been doing the "SNAP challenge where she tries to eat on $4.50 a day. She posted an update on the first week and what went wrong, how things haven't worked out because of some mistakes, etc

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/snap-challenge-week-1-summary/

My friends are absolutely up in arms over her choice to buy "too expensive" rice because "taste is a luxury." She clearly admits she messed up a few ways and had to cheat with reaching into her pantry and yes if she had gone with the 70 cents a lb rice she could have probably bought them, but I don't think this is a bad thing she's attempting, is it?

Taste isn't a luxury and your friends are probably the worst type of libertarians if they believe that.

As for the lady doing the challenge, her first big problem is that she's shopping at Whole Foods. None of the things that she bought there are exclusive to the store, and are available for anywhere from 1/2 to 1/10 (!) the price at other stores which sell bulk products.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Taste isn't a luxury and your friends are probably the worst type of libertarians if they believe that.

As for the lady doing the challenge, her first big problem is that she's shopping at Whole Foods. None of the things that she bought there are exclusive to the store, and are available for anywhere from 1/2 to 1/10 (!) the price at other stores which sell bulk products.

Christ $4.50 a day from Whole Foods is going to be murder. That's basically 2 yams and some trail mix.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
That jumbo pack of thighs is like 14 dollars in Toronto, gently caress this.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah, doing the pretend poor challenge while shopping at a store for rich people probably isn't going to work very well.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Kafka Esq. posted:

That jumbo pack of thighs is like 14 dollars in Toronto, gently caress this.

Jesus, thighs around here are frequently at .99 cents/lb on sale, usually 1.59 regularly. That's insanely high, even chicken breasts don't get that high.

And I've only been to Whole Foods once, with the intention of getting some sausage cause I heard they had some good stuff. I left with absolutely nothing, everything was two to three times the price of say the Safeway that was a mile away. The same freaking things. gently caress that place.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

went to whole foods, spent an 8th of her weekly budget on a tiny amount of rice and chickpeas, went home and took a picture of her haul that's captioned "not a whole lot, right?"

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

The other store she went to is Rouses which, for those of you not from my area, isn't outrageous or anything like Whole Foods, but isn't exactly a budget joint either.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Well not like Aldi or Savealot or whatever are Everywhere. They're pretty rare around here

E: badass, the closest Aldi is 5 miles away.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Well not like Aldi or Savealot or whatever are Everywhere. They're pretty rare around here

I get what you're saying about a lot of places, but the article author lives in New Orleans, where there are like a half dozen Savealots. She clearly didn't put a lot of thought into finding good prices as opposed to just buying stuff she thinks of as cheap.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

I get what you're saying about a lot of places, but the article author lives in New Orleans, where there are like a half dozen Savealots. She clearly didn't put a lot of thought into finding good prices as opposed to just buying stuff she thinks of as cheap.

Right, she made clear mistakes, but I take the point to be that its a learning experience. Hell even reading about, I've taken some things away. I bought a big box of parboiled rice for $2 and with the addition of garlic salt and spinach (and hot sauce sometimes) I can then toss on leftovers and have a decent lunch.

Tempted to grab a value pack of thighs and cook em all, and bring in 1 a day.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

I have never heard of Savealot, but at the Aldi around here stuff like rice or beans are pretty expensive.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

That's why you buy rice and chickpeas in Asian / Indian groceries where for a few bucks you get a bag of rice as big as your kid

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Right, she made clear mistakes, but I take the point to be that its a learning experience. Hell even reading about, I've taken some things away. I bought a big box of parboiled rice for $2 and with the addition of garlic salt and spinach (and hot sauce sometimes) I can then toss on leftovers and have a decent lunch.

Tempted to grab a value pack of thighs and cook em all, and bring in 1 a day.

Boxes of parboiled rice are rather going in the wrong direction by every conceivable metric.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Illinois Smith posted:

That's why you buy rice and chickpeas in Asian / Indian groceries where for a few bucks you get a bag of rice as big as your kid

This. Every month or two I run by the middle eastern grocer near my house and pick up a monstrous bag of basmati rice. It's fantastic and stupidly cheap.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Taste isn't a luxury, it's a basic part of the dignity of man, and if you're relying on SNAP, you need all the dignity you can afford.

George Orwell, The Road to Wigan Pier posted:

"Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn't. Here the tendency of which I spoke at the end of the last chapter comes into play. When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don't want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit 'tasty'. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

It's interesting to me, because the blogger is presumably a person who knows how to shop frugally, yet it doesn't occur to her to shop somewhere other than Whole Foods on her first week of this challenge. Of all people, this is a person I would expect to come out the gate rocking this challenge, not ending up eating 900 calories a day because she blew her budget on overpriced, well, everything. I hope her next week's report shows some improvement.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Maybe she shopped where she did under the assumption that your typical person who suddenly needs to go on SNAP would be used to shopping at places with prices like that and followed suit? I dunno. I'm holding out hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I live in California, which is kind of cheating, but I feed myself fairly comfortably on ~$2 a day. The main issue with people on SNAP isn't that it's physically impossible to to feed yourself for that amount, it's that there's all sorts of poo poo going on in your life when you're poor, including lack of access to good places to shop, lack of transportation and time that it takes to shop around and buy things where and when they're cheap, lack of time to cook, and not having grown up in a culture that teaches people how to eat cheaply. In America everyone grows up thinking that you can't make a meal without meat, companies spend millions of dollars convincing us that it's cheaper and easier and faster and healthier to buy premade stuff than to cook everything ourselves, etc. Unfortunately these aren't the sorts of things that you can dramatize by saying "look at me living on my $4.50 food budget" - the best you can do is to highlight how little food that buys you (at Whole Foods...) which I'm sure can make people sympathetic but which doesn't get at the fundamental underlying issues of poverty.

Which is not to say that SNAP is enough money or anything. Just because someone can feed themselves on not a lot of money doesn't mean that's the level of benefits they should get. But whatever, that's getting a little far afield. The point is that if you're poor and you want to make good food, the main obstacles probably aren't the number of dollars you have in your wallet. If you're so poor that you literally don't have enough money to buy any kind of food then you should probably be dumpster diving to supplement your shopping. For everyone else, the main obstacles are probably lack of knowledge/lack of a car to drive to the Indian store to buy your rice even though it's not near a bus stop/etc.