Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I can understand the Froome hate, he is immensely dislikeable, but the love of known cheat Contandor I just cant get my head around. This thread :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Especially considering who runs his team too. Its a double dose of oval office.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

True, though they are hardly the only team run by a former doper

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Seeing goons this angry though, I might go buy a sky jersey or something

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
People like Contador because he rules.

Strange riding from Froome.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

People don't like Froome because he's the kind of person who steals baby rabbits from a kindergarten to feed his pet snake.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Contador doesn't do Froome's beta climbing speed.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Pocket posted:

Contador doesn't do Froome's beta climbing speed.

It was pretty funny how he kept getting dropped and then fighting back only to get dropped again.

I'm happy for Aru, he seems like a nice lad and really impressed me at the Giro.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm looking forward to Quintana vs Aru in the ~future~.

Also all of you whining about the broken leg, it was a hairline fracture and he was out training way before he announced anything in regards to being back on the bike/riding vuelta. He was playing possum pretty clearly. My favorite kind of bike racing, before it even starts.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So the fact he got caught cheating doesn't bother you all?

Genuinely asking because I just can't understand it

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Skarsnik posted:

He took his ban like a man and hasn't been trying to sell the world some clean cycling mumbo jumbo like Froome who is a histrionic oval office with a stage mom for a girlfriend

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

If one believes all the other GC contenders can keep pace with him or go on to beat him or better known doped climb times are riding clean then I can see why one may have a problem with Contador.

Pocket fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 3, 2014

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

African AIDS cum posted:

He took his ban like a man and hasn't been trying to sell the world some clean cycling mumbo jumbo like Froome who is a histrionic oval office with a stage mom for a girlfriend

I remember reading an OpEd piece once that declared contador the most unlikable man in the peloton because he was such a nice guy.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

No.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

All of the peloton are, the fact he got caught just means he wasnt very good at it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ah right, the 'they are all on it but he's totally cooler than the rest!' argument

I shouldn't have asked

African AIDS cum posted:

Also this is bullshit, get caught cheating, dont get to ride again

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 3, 2014

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

ah right, the 'they are all on it but he's totally cooler than the rest!' argument

I shouldn't have asked

Also this is bullshit, get caught cheating, dont get to ride again

He makes racing exciting, is why I imagine most forgave him. Also he is not Froome.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

As I said, I really can understand not liking Froome, and I'm sure he is on some pretty good stuff, but there must be someone else this thread can get behind that isn't a proven cheat?

Also did anyone else notice Quintana took that saddle clean in the nuts (and ripping it off in the process) when he fell? Might explain why it looked worse that it was when he was lying on his back all that time

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Most of the thread seems to like Quintana well enough.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres been a huge surge in colombian climbers and hes one of the best tbf. I'm sure it will all come crashing down fairly shortly but for now they're the good guys.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

As I said, I really can understand not liking Froome, and I'm sure he is on some pretty good stuff, but there must be someone else this thread can get behind that isn't a proven cheat?

Also did anyone else notice Quintana took that saddle clean in the nuts (and ripping it off in the process) when he fell? Might explain why it looked worse that it was when he was lying on his back all that time

Keep in mind people like Mick Rogers have got off for the exact same thing Contador was banned for. The whole system is corrupt.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

Keep in mind people like Mick Rogers have got off for the exact same thing Contador was banned for. The whole system is corrupt.

The fact he was banned at all was a minor miracle considering he's Spanish.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Supporting him is hardly going to help much though is it? He should have been booed from the moment he was back

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Skarsnik posted:

Supporting him is hardly going to help much though is it? He should have been booed from the moment he was back

He accidentally bit a horse in self defense. Why are you trying to persecute him? Does he not have a right to defend himself from the equine menace?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Columbia is just the start, one day everyone is going to get crushed by Nepal's best.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well, until Africa gets around to producing bike riders

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Have you heard of Chris Froome?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

He is from south Africa, that is just a satellite county of England:britain:

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 3, 2014

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Well, bike riders who don't struggle to put on a rain jacket for 5 minutes

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

There was a thing on the itv coverage today about giving bikes to Africa for charity, and hopefully a magical future champion will appear. Sounds sensible anyway. They should send rain coats too though

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Skarsnik posted:

:psyduck:

As far as I'm concerned every top rider toes the line that's been drawn by doping authorities, using every method available to evade detection and appear to be within limits. Those caught & convicted and have sat out a season or two serve more as a warning to others than reach a 'clean' sport, whatever that means.

Contador is fun to watch (unlike Froome) so sure I'll cheer him on.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I have a soft spot for froome because of how ugly and ungainly he looks. He has no business being a top cyclist yet there he is. Inspiration for all.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pvt Dancer posted:

:psyduck:

As far as I'm concerned every top rider toes the line that's been drawn by doping authorities, using every method available to evade detection and appear to be within limits. Those caught & convicted and have sat out a season or two serve more as a warning to others than reach a 'clean' sport, whatever that means.

Not entirely sure what the confusion is here.
An outright ban would be a much better deterrent no? Supporting him is also supporting the current 'slap on the wrist' system. If you really want a clean sport, you shouldn't be supporting either. Does that make it less :psyduck: for you?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

You want to watch a bunch of Frenchmen fight over the top honours in the GTs? That's where this is going! :colbert:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

An outright ban would be a much better deterrent no? Supporting him is also supporting the current 'slap on the wrist' system. If you really want a clean sport, you shouldn't be supporting either. Does that make it less :psyduck: for you?

Ok team sky.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Skarsnik posted:

Cutting off their heads and putting them on pikes at the next start would be even better.

I want a sport that's fun to watch, decent incentives for a level playing field and athletes that aren't killing themselves are a nice bonus. Zero tolerance lifetime bans would kill it off pretty quickly.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
In other news, some pro football player was handed a 4 game suspension for doping.

Yep. 4 games. OOOOOOOH.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Pvt Dancer posted:

Cutting off their heads and putting them on pikes at the next start would be even better.

Tour de Iraq and Syria

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
If youre like "i dont understand how you can like X because he is/was/will be a doper" then you probably shouldnt watch cycling. Or most sports TBH.

Bert, much like Purito (and if you disagree I will fight you) is awesome because he at least has a stab, attacks, does wierd and crazy poo poo and generally make a race interesting to watch. Froome, besides being a huge bellend, races in the most boring way imaginable. Im happy to conceed that maybe its more a SKY thing though, and that maybe had Froome come up through a non 'grind them into submission' team he might be more well liked or at least have had his arseholishness forgiven for a little bit longer. Its too late now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Sky riding tempo at the front as Froome was getting dropped was pretty entertaining. What a shitshow lol