Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
STING MONTH KICKS OFF TONIGHT!

Tonight at 8 PM: WCW World War 3 1997! 60 Men, 3 Rings, 1 winner!

The Faces of Fear vs Glacier and Ernest Miller

Disco Inferno vs Saturn (c) for the TV title

Yuji Nagata vs Ultimo Dragon (if Dragon wins he gets 5 minutes with Onoo.)

The Blue Bloods vs The Steiners (c) for the Tag titles

Raven vs Scotty Riggs in a Raven's Rules match

Mongo vs Alex Wright

Rey Mysterio Jr vs Eddy Guerrero (c) for the cruiserweight title

Ric Flair vs Curt Hennig (c) for the US title

THE WORLD WAR 3 BATTLE ROYAL

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Cowboy Who? at 7:30, WW3 at 8!!!

STING MONTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Cool sideview into an alternate universe: http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2014/09/scott_steiner_oc_judge_censured.php

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Ohhhhhhh poo poo a PPV? Gotta get me a six pack right quick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

STING MONTH KICKS OFF TONIGHT!

Tonight at 8 PM: WCW World War 3 1997! 60 Men, 3 Rings, 1 winner!

The Faces of Fear vs Glacier and Ernest Miller

Disco Inferno vs Saturn (c) for the TV title

Yuji Nagata vs Ultimo Dragon (if Dragon wins he gets 5 minutes with Onoo.)

The Blue Bloods vs The Steiners (c) for the Tag titles

Raven vs Scotty Riggs in a Raven's Rules match

Mongo vs Alex Wright

Rey Mysterio Jr vs Eddy Guerrero (c) for the cruiserweight title

Ric Flair vs Curt Hennig (c) for the US title

THE WORLD WAR 3 BATTLE ROYAL

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Cowboy Who? at 7:30, WW3 at 8!!!

STING MONTH

What are you gonna do when Cowboy Who ends?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What are you gonna do when Cowboy Who ends?

I had a plan for this a few days ago but forgot.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MassRafTer posted:

I had a plan for this a few days ago but forgot.

An episode of History of TNA/WCW QVC special?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

And in such an immediate way that they never really got through to him that he was getting Marc Mero, not the character of Johnny B. Badd.

never got why vince couldn't just give him another little richard gimmick. it's not like their only other choice was a mustached boxer who inexplicably uses a shooting star splash and gets beat up by his girlfriend.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's a WCW question: Was Norman Smiley ever a heel?

I remember adoring him, even before he became Hardcore Champ. But I don't remember him ever being heel. But to be fair, when you have a big wiggle, how can you be?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm not sure Norman Smiley even falls under heel face classification. He is and has always been Norman Smiley.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a WCW question: Was Norman Smiley ever a heel?

I remember adoring him, even before he became Hardcore Champ. But I don't remember him ever being heel. But to be fair, when you have a big wiggle, how can you be?

After he was a jobber in 97-98 he turned heel, started doing the Big Wiggle and put Chavo's horsestick Pepe into a shredder.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

After he was a jobber in 97-98 he turned heel, started doing the Big Wiggle and put Chavo's horsestick Pepe into a shredder.

I thought Raven killed Pepe. Did it die multiple deaths?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Raven killed Moppy.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

BrigadierSensible posted:

I thought Raven killed Pepe. Did it die multiple deaths?

Raven shredded Moppy in pretty much the exact same angle.

edit: darn

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Raven killed Moppy.

Vale wrestlers-friends-on-a-stick. They gave us so much joy and asked for so little.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

I cried when Pepe died. Not joking.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

coconono posted:

I loved both Pepe and Moppy. :(

bartok
May 10, 2006

coconono posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what blackmail Johnny B Badd had on WCW to stay employed for so long

Marc Mero was green as hell in WCW but he was a natural athlete who could be carried to the occasional good match. I think if he never had that knee injury or never feuded with his wife he could have been a decent in-ring performer.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

coconono posted:

Chavo was gold in WCW. I loved his "obsessed with Eddie" gimmick, when during his entrance he would just constantly yell poo poo like "EDDIE! EDDIE!? THIS ONE'S FOR YOU EDDIE! LOOK AT ME EDDIE! EDDIE!"

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

Chavo was gold in WCW. I loved his "obsessed with Eddie" gimmick, when during his entrance he would just constantly yell poo poo like "EDDIE! EDDIE!? THIS ONE'S FOR YOU EDDIE! LOOK AT ME EDDIE! EDDIE!"

that's not a gimmick

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Chavo never did answer why he talks with a Canadian accent, tho.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

EDDIE, LOOK! I'M CHEATING TO WIN!

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
A reminder to all that Chavo shaved his own head when he lost a Hair vs. Hair with Uncle Eddy. Then he wore a domino mask and would act as if he rode Pepe to the ring. These things must not be forgotten.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What I'm trying to figure out is...when did everyone's opinion turn against Chavo? He was praised during his days at WCW as well as his time as one of the SmackDown Six in the early 00s, and yet now people insist that he's terrible and perhaps always has been.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What I'm trying to figure out is...when did everyone's opinion turn against Chavo? He was praised during his days at WCW as well as his time as one of the SmackDown Six in the early 00s, and yet now people insist that he's terrible and perhaps always has been.

In WCW he seemed like an underrated guy who never got a chance to be in long matches. This seemed justified by the Smackdown Six period, but after that when he wasn't in there with some of the best workers in the world he was mostly bland, sometimes outright bad. I completely lost interest in him around 2007.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I recall enjoying the traveling salesman gimmick.

It was funny when they kept putting Sin Cara with Chavo even though it was abundantly clear it didn't work.

e: I think the latter was part of his problem. He got lumped in with luchadores, world travelers, and historically great workers, but never fit in those categories.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 4, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

People assumed he was good if not outstanding based on the Smackdown Six era. He was used as jobber fodder for a while in WWE so he never got a chance to shine. When he went to TNA people were like 'oh, maybe he'll have some okay matches.'

He had mostly poo poo matches. Part of it was probably lack of motivation, since TNA and all, but part of it was just him not being that great a wrestler.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Endorph posted:

People assumed he was good if not outstanding based on the Smackdown Six era. He was used as jobber fodder for a while in WWE so he never got a chance to shine. When he went to TNA people were like 'oh, maybe he'll have some okay matches.'

He had mostly poo poo matches. Part of it was probably lack of motivation, since TNA and all, but part of it was just him not being that great a wrestler.

Part of it is that after Eddie died, people, perhaps unfairly, expected him to live up to the Guerrero Standard of Excellence. Another aspect is that he suffers from Lance Storm Disease, in that he's athletic and capable, but boring.

bartok
May 10, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

In WCW he seemed like an underrated guy who never got a chance to be in long matches. This seemed justified by the Smackdown Six period, but after that when he wasn't in there with some of the best workers in the world he was mostly bland, sometimes outright bad. I completely lost interest in him around 2007.

That sums up Chavo pretty well. Chavo is extremely competent in the ring but just lacks the ability to connect with the crowd that Eddie Guerrero had.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I recall enjoying the traveling salesman gimmick.
Oh poo poo, I never even thought about Chavo but now I remember him trying to sell Dude Love a lava lamp and a stereo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I hated Chavo in his Best of 15 series with Hornswoggle. A few months to a year later, on NXT, he told his rookie (Darren Young) to stay away from Hornswoggle because it wasn't worth it.

Then he betrayed Hornswoggle. It was amazing.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh poo poo, I never even thought about Chavo but now I remember him trying to sell Dude Love a lava lamp and a stereo.
That was Van Hammer or Brad Armstrong!

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Lance Storm Disease

The only LSD that makes the world a hell of a lot more boring.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I really liked Lance Storm and I think deliberately giving him the "this guy bores you" gimmick only exacerbated his LSD.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I took a break from wrestling from about 2002 till late 2010 (actually started watching again in June 2011), so I found out about Chavo in the WWE after watching all the stuff I missed over the years. Initially, when I got back into watching, I think Chavo was doing some dumb stuff like dressing up in an eagle costume and fighting Jack Swagger. Anyway, I've always liked him, had a goofy quality about his character, but he was really good in the ring. Pepe? Pepe was gold! Chavo and Norman were just some of the guys that made Saturday Night worth watching, and they made Nitro and Thunder more fun, especially when WCW started to turn bad - they were just fun to watch. I preferred their antics to watching Vampiro and the Misfits, for example.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
This has to be the greatest ending to a Nitro ever: http://www.wwe.com/videos/the-yeti-is-introduced-nitro-october-23-1995-26159621

Loads of swerves, Heenan leaving the broadcast booth and the YET-AY bursting out from the crystal as the show goes off the air.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Tokelau All Star posted:

Rey clearly took inspiration from that for his 2006 run

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Jake Soo posted:

This has to be the greatest ending to a Nitro ever: http://www.wwe.com/videos/the-yeti-is-introduced-nitro-october-23-1995-26159621

Loads of swerves, Heenan leaving the broadcast booth and the YET-AY bursting out from the crystal as the show goes off the air.

We watched that one last night. Someone must've said "This thing looks poo poo, lets end the episode the moment the YET-AY shows up". It's so brief it's almost subliminal.

Followed that up with Halloween Havoc now. It's amazing how clear it is that Heenan and Schiovane don't like each other. It's a ridiculous story, but Tony doesn't sell The Giant falling off the building at all. Heenan does, Bischoff does, even that guy they have on to talk about the monster trucks does it. Schiovane just couldn't give a poo poo and chuckles when Heenan storms off.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 4, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Which pre-NWO Nitro is the one where Hogan and Sting have a terrible match and then completely bomb their promos to end the show? We should watch that one. I think it was in 1995.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The best angle of Chavo's career was Kerwin White.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

sticklefifer posted:

The best angle of Chavo's career was Kerwin White.

Dolph Ziggler's finest moment.