Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Fayez Butts posted:

How many slave-1s is this? Five?

Yeah, if you count the Jango Fett one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

The Rage posted:

Wow, I wonder if I can ditch my older Slave 1 and put it towards this.

I have a sealed 6209 Slave-1 floating around, was thinking about selling it but I might keep it stored away at this point. Maybe it will be worth thousands some day and pay for a car:(

Also the brickmasters poly bag Slave-1 is a sweet lil set. We'll worth the ~10 dollars it cost on eBay.

DrChud fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 3, 2014

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

After getting our interest in Lego reignited by the Lego movie (and subsequent Lego purchases), my son and I decided to get out THE CONTAINERS. The containers that had all the Lego stuff that I'd gotten as a kid. And we would build them all. Then we would build all his. A combined Lego collection spanning 35 years.

This is where we stand so far. (spaceship^3 is the most insanely dense and awesome set I think I've ever built)

We still have a container and a half to go. Then we start on my son's.

It's gonna take a while.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Has anyone actually put an minifig in the little wing ships on Benny's S3?

Because I just did and drat that poo poo just doesn't work. It's physically impossible for the pilot's hands to get anywhere near the controls no matter how you position the figure or the canopy.

Do they fly by telepathy? :iiam:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

xzzy posted:

Because I just did and drat that poo poo just doesn't work. It's physically impossible for the pilot's hands to get anywhere near the controls no matter how you position the figure or the canopy.

Look ma, no hands!

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Nostratic posted:

After getting our interest in Lego reignited by the Lego movie (and subsequent Lego purchases), my son and I decided to get out THE CONTAINERS. The containers that had all the Lego stuff that I'd gotten as a kid. And we would build them all. Then we would build all his. A combined Lego collection spanning 35 years.

This is where we stand so far. (spaceship^3 is the most insanely dense and awesome set I think I've ever built)

It's gonna take a while.

What is the blue and yellow set in the top right?

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Guzwar posted:

What is the blue and yellow set in the top right?

GotG Starblaster from set 76019

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one

Nostratic posted:

It's gonna take a while.

I think I recognize everything in that picture, except for the black with red accents in top left. What is that one from?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

smackfu posted:

Here's what they said on August 13th:

So, maybe in Lego stores if you are lucky.

To completely contradict this, I just spoke with the manager at my local lego store, and she said their entire stock had been recalled by lego so they could use it to fill back orders.

She said it would be at least a month before it would be available anywhere again.

(I didn't hunt down the manager, honest. She just happened to be on the floor when I walked in and I was the only customer in the place, so we chatted a bit.)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

xzzy posted:

At least they have something resembling a control panel, I like how the older Anakin's Interceptor just had a single lever and no instruments to control a starfighter

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

dangittj posted:

I think I recognize everything in that picture, except for the black with red accents in top left. What is that one from?

Jek-14's Stealth Fighter, an E-Wing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DrChud posted:

My phone isn't working right otherwise I would have the pics here, but

USC Slave-1.
http://brickset.com/article/12209/75060-ucs-slave-i-pictures-revealed

This is a must for me. So with the list from yesterday and this it's ramen and living in the car. At least Boba will keep me company.

Didn't they just do a Slave 1 like 2-3 years ago?

The_Doctor posted:

Microfighters

75072 – ARC-170 Starfighter
75073 – Vulture Droid
75074 – Snowspeeder
75075 – AT-AT
75076 – Republic Gunship
75077 – Homing Spider Droid

Yay! More micro fighters! Excited for the Snowspeeder and AT-At!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Sure, a system scale one in 2010. It's the only one I have, I like it alright but a UCS will be fantastic, especially if it's kinda minifig scale.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Yay! More micro fighters! Excited for the Snowspeeder and AT-At!

:hfive: I feel you. I'm more excited for these micro sets than any other releases.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mitsune posted:

:hfive: I feel you. I'm more excited for these micro sets than any other releases.

I was hoping they do a Slave 1 too, but hell, they went in the complete opposite direction for that!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Gigas Suit is finished. Unfortunately, I exceeded the weight limit for standard ball sockets, and so getting it to stand up without collapsing under its own weight was really difficult. In fact, I had to fix it multiple times before I was able to take decent photos due to the top half coming off the legs(as shown in the separated photos, the torso/leg join is unfortunately not very strong, which can't be helped since I almost ran out of pieces).

However, my goal of making a suit that could enclose the crew and be able to remove them without taking apart the torso was a success! Sort of. The head and enclosure is so heavy that it tends to fall apart when trying to open it, but it is possible to open it and extract the crew without removing any pieces. I tried to enclose them as much as possible(leading to the overload weight). All in all, a great success, outside of certain section's structural instability. I modified the waist a third time to make it stronger so the heavy torso doesn't cause it to crumple instantly, changed the shoulders slightly to increase support for extended arms, and I'll go back and fix the torso/leg connection eventually and probably fix the weak mount for the cockpit enclosure section as well(it's literally one of those 2x1 1-stud-in-the-middle pieces connectiong the entire thing to a C-claw 1x1 piece. Not the strongest!) but for now I'm taking a much-deserved break, I spent over an hour trying to figure out how to make a head with the pieces I had left that could also move around and look up/down, the result isn't exactly elegant but it worked perfectly, fit snugly in the gap above the chestplate, and also looks pretty badass as well in my opinion! But enough talk, have some pictures!

Rear, top, closeup of upper torso

closeup of crew from the back, the silver inner tube-things with the technic connector should be flush against it enclosing them further but I forgot to do that

misc shots

Pilot cockpit enclosure, opened

Open cockpit and legs shots

Dogen
May 5, 2002

That's pretty rad, Invictus. I like all the cylinder and barrel piece usage.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
That's awesome. Love the head with armored neck plate and the right hand design.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

After much delay, I finally got around to starting to mod Benny's S3.

Ripping out the wing-expansion function was actually pretty easy, with a bit of wiggling the whole rear assembly just pops right off making it easy to tweak. Did have to dig into my parts for enough plates to rebuild and make it sturdy, but I think it worked pretty well.

Aesthetically it's not as nice as I'd like, but details are easy to adjust. The wings in particular need redone, I don't like the shifts from two plates to one plate thickness.

Also need to figure out some proper landing gear.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

xzzy posted:

To completely contradict this, I just spoke with the manager at my local lego store, and she said their entire stock had been recalled by lego so they could use it to fill back orders.

She said it would be at least a month before it would be available anywhere again.

(I didn't hunt down the manager, honest. She just happened to be on the floor when I walked in and I was the only customer in the place, so we chatted a bit.)

Not sure how much BS this is but the guy at the Lego store said it was in the Winter catalog, which had to be reprinted due to an error...

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I finally got around to buying the Sea Cow.
The manual, which has only one booklet (technically it's more like a book), is almost 300 pages. :stonklol:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I had to go back and get the brick built bat (which got assembled by my wife immediately, whereas the vampire is still in his box) and also picked up the MTT, which also netted me the classic white spaceman.

The MTT was actually a pretty cool build in how it fits together, and has some cool play features with all the slide out parts, but aesthetically it's just a brown lump... and not in the good way that the sandcrawler is.

Benny now has a green and a white spaceman under his command, I know I have yellow and probably some red at my parent's house...

Dogen fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 5, 2014

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

xzzy posted:

After much delay, I finally got around to starting to mod Benny's S3.

Ripping out the wing-expansion function was actually pretty easy, with a bit of wiggling the whole rear assembly just pops right off making it easy to tweak. Did have to dig into my parts for enough plates to rebuild and make it sturdy, but I think it worked pretty well.

Aesthetically it's not as nice as I'd like, but details are easy to adjust. The wings in particular need redone, I don't like the shifts from two plates to one plate thickness.

Also need to figure out some proper landing gear.

That looks good.

The one thing that bugs me on the spaceship is the cockpit. It seems like it is 1 stud too long and the window should close down around all the studs.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Lego just needs to make cockpit extending pieces again. I remember when I was a kid building spaceships using as many of those as I could find, basically a reverse stretch limo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been considering shrinking the cockpit for the same reason, to get rid of that line of studs at the front.

I was pretty jazzed about the canopy when the ship was announced but it really is absurdly huge. I'm glad I have to have the part because trans yellow is the best, but I don't typically make large ships so I probably won't use it for much. Some people are doing great things with it though. Like this bad boy:

"LL928 Comes Home" 04 by wolf.leews-無, on Flickr

It'll never get sold but he put it up on Ideas, and it has an image of the bottom of the ship. Flipping around the studs for the bottom is genius.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/68687

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ika posted:

Lego just needs to make cockpit extending pieces again. I remember when I was a kid building spaceships using as many of those as I could find, basically a reverse stretch limo.

I have two of those in trans yellow, but they're scratched to poo poo. :smith:

Also some broken tongs, which is even worse. 30 years will do that I guess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whelp, guess that's the end of the research institute:

http://toysnbricks.com/lego-ideas-research-institute-no-longer-available-online/

I wish lego would just put out a statement about it, because all the conflicting theories is pretty goddamn annoying.

Readblood
Nov 9, 2005
I wish this wasn't going to be a Toys"R"Us promo…

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

And an American one only at that.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Just opened a box I grabbed cheap off ebay because it seemed to contain most of a 8880. It also has what looks to be most of 6265, 6270, and 6274. Kind of undecided whether to bother trying to find out if they are complete and in decent condition or just dump the lot in the parts box.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

xzzy posted:

I've been considering shrinking the cockpit for the same reason, to get rid of that line of studs at the front.

I was pretty jazzed about the canopy when the ship was announced but it really is absurdly huge. I'm glad I have to have the part because trans yellow is the best, but I don't typically make large ships so I probably won't use it for much. Some people are doing great things with it though. Like this bad boy:

I wish the canopy were a little taller. The 'standard' space canopy (introduced with SP1, I believe) is the same height, but 2 studs shorter (effectively 1 stud shorter since it slopes sharply down to the hinge), but it reaches maximum height three studs earlier. That shallower slope means either a deeper cockpit tub or an even more elongated nose.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Readblood posted:

Apparently, smaller scale than the VIP set too :(

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Readblood posted:

I wonder how much I have to spend at Toys R Us to get all of these :(

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Those look so bad compared to the VIP mini modulars :(

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

xzzy posted:

http://toysnbricks.com/lego-ideas-research-institute-no-longer-available-online/

I wish lego would just put out a statement about it, because all the conflicting theories is pretty goddamn annoying.

I really honestly can't wrap my head around the idea that they made this in a limited set, is it just that they don't want to pay any sort of royalties to the person who created it in the Ideas program? Just makes zero sense comparing to how available the rest of the sets are from the Ideas...Delorean and Ghostbusters have been available for quite sometime...Mars Rover I kind of understand only a limited number of people would be interested in building that, but this research institute is geared to pretty much every target demographic that they could probably keep it a popular seller for a year or so. Even my son wants it, he doesn't care about it being girl minifigures, he likes the dinosaur. With how much attention this set has garnished for Lego, it makes zero sense that it's not something they will make another run of. It's not like it's some super expensive $300 set that most people can't justify spending. I guess at this point now we have to rush out and buy every Ideas set at the idea of it only being a limited run? They could have at least announced it was going to be a limited run, like they did with whatever that Technic set was that was last year.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Mr. Glass posted:

Those look so bad compared to the VIP mini modulars :(

Well, they're more a micro modular, and they're free, so...

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
L-Com!
(X-Com Lego)

I've been working on a Skyranger. The project is a bit on hold right now in a rough-draft sort of form as I wait for some more parts. In the meantime, here is what I've made so far!

sswooooosh

So, you can see the wings need work, and the top is just a mess of different stuff as I was trying to figure out what would look nice, and the engines on the side need a lot of streamlining. Also, I'd like it if the windows in the front were more "functional," so to speak, and some minifigs could sit behind there. All of that I think I can handle fairly well. One thing I am worried about is putting in the landing gear. You can see more or less what's difficult about it around 44 seconds into this video. The way everything just flaps open and rotates down seems like it would be a bitch to implement well without adding an extra four levels to the bottom, but I don't know. Anybody have ideas?

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 6, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

My Town Hall arrived with a broken base plate. I ordered a replacement piece and that arrived broken to. Does anyone know if I'll be okay ordering from the parts list again or should I contact customer service?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you bought two baseplates and both arrived broken you should definitely call Lego and tell them as such. Maybe email photos if they ask for it. That really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

xzzy posted:

Anything about the Exo Suit set that came out with it? I voted on both of those sets on Cuusoo but didn't even know they finally came out and now that I have a job and some money lying around I'm really rather disappointed they're not gonna be in my hands any time soon (at least not for a reasonable price).

I think it's kind of lovely of Lego to run the Research Institute as a limited edition set, honestly. The movie ones are able to just fly with no problem, the Delorean has been out for over a year and is still popular and stocked on shelves, but this tiny, affordable playset with no movie licensing due has to be a hot commodity? It doesn't make sense, especially seeing how desired the set is. It especially seems like a showing of bad will when there was so much hype around it for the female scientists in the workplace angle and none of the folks who were interested in it for that are likely to be able to pick it up.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 7, 2014