Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

serious gaylord posted:

My bit that matters is the financial statement not a statement by a chairman who is clearly so divorced from reality he's getting the boot.

My issue is that this has been pointed out, multiple times, by multiple other posters, but it doesnt sound as good so the £4 million thing persists. Much like numerous other 'facts' about GW.

It persists because the chairman of the company said it in an official financial thing released by the company, which is all that the vast majority of people are going to read. Most people aren't going to delve any further than "GW is/was run by a literal crazy person".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Generally, with most sane companies, when the person in charge spouts a concrete number in an official document, people tend to assume they're not making it up on the fly, yeah?

I don't see how you think it's in GW's favour that he was just spouting random numbers in the annual report. Or doing it deliberately. Neither is exactly good.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Except heres the bit that matters, directly from the Financial report and not the barmy statement.

This has been pointed out to you before and you continue to ignore it.
That does absolutely nothing to disprove my original point; Kirby said that the website cost 4 million pounds. Why? Because he is an idiot.
If anything, you're proving the point that everyone in this thread is trying to make; GW's higher ups have no loving idea what is even happening within the company they are running. I'm sure that contradicting financial figures on two separate official documents regarding the same financial year must look great to their investors :)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
GW stock is at the lowest point it's been since about May.

It needs to drop another 20% to match its worst record over the last ~2.5 years. Seems pretty flat at the moment, sadly.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
Seriously, I've worked in several different companies where the order of the day was "cover your rear end" and "protect your spot at all costs", and where the top people were literally shielded from the company's goings-on by a sycophantic army of yes-men who were desperate to prevent their boss from finding out just how hosed up things were in their department/division/entire company. Usually this delusion persisted right up to the point when they were finally let go or told to retire (if that ever happened, that is). Just like it has in Kirby's case.

In some cases there were big sweeping changes and the company was slowly moved onto a different course (not necessarily a better one mind you, just different). In other cases people just kept going right along the same lines, with just a few token changes to let people know there was a new boss in town. My guess is that when Kirby finally departs it's going to be much more the latter than the former, because GW is too far down the rabbit hole at this point to be able to pull up and fix what's broken (short of being bought by another company, that is).

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

serious gaylord posted:

My bit that matters is the financial statement not a statement by a chairman who is clearly so divorced from reality he's getting the boot.

My issue is that this has been pointed out, multiple times, by multiple other posters, but it doesnt sound as good so the £4 million thing persists. Much like numerous other 'facts' about GW.

To be fair, spending almost £1 million on a website is still pretty ridiculous. Just not as 4x ridiculous as Kirby's horrible preamble makes it seem.

Edit: If the removal of Kirby does nothing else, I hope that GW starts to re-examine their outdated and sometimes bizarre IP protection angle when it comes to marketing. Not allowing suppliers to show images of your products you want sold always stood out to me. Would have been interesting to see where GW'd be now if they swung the other way and went for more market saturation and media presence. Picture actually paying money to go to the movies and watch a 40k movie that didn't suck. Kids buying Captain Boltmore action figure to play with during his Saturday morning cartoon. Being able to grab a new starter set at the local Walmart. Of course I'm not a marketing/business guy, so for all I really know that strategy could have bankrupt them by now.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 27, 2014

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

thiswayliesmadness posted:

To be fair, spending almost £1 million on a website is still pretty ridiculous. Just not as 4x ridiculous as Kirby's horrible preamble makes it seem.

That's the ironic part: even if Kirby hadn't said that stuff in the preamble about the website costing four million quid, and had said it only cost just under a million, they still spent waaaay too much money on it for what they got (namely, a website that's even more confusing and useless than before, complete with the loss of all their customer accounts & data). Quibbling about whether Kirby said "four million" or "one million" is just picking nits.

quote:

Edit: If the removal of Kirby does nothing else, I hope that GW starts to re-examine their outdated and sometimes bizarre IP protection angle when it comes to marketing. Not allowing suppliers to show images of your products you want sold always stood out to me. Would have been interesting to see where GW'd be now if they swung the other way and went for more market saturation and media presence. Picture actually paying money to go to the movies and watch a 40k movie that didn't suck. Kids buying Captain Boltmore action figure to play with during his Saturday morning cartoon. Being able to grab a new starter set at the local Walmart. Of course I'm not a marketing/business guy, so for all I really know that strategy could have bankrupt them by now.

It's a delicate balance that has to be struck, no question. Go too wild in licensing your IP all willy-nilly, and you end up with a brand that's watered down and viewed as having been "cheapened" by being so widely available.

On the other hand, go the GW route and you end up with an IP that is also worthless because you're not properly leveraging it to make it as profitable for you as possible (because you are apparently treating your "ripped off from every fantasy and sci-fi work ever made" universe like it is made from literal gold or something).

Anyways I remain skeptical that Kirby's departure is going to change anything at all. His yes-men within GW are apparently all going to remain pretty solidly entrenched within the company, and so he's going to very likely have some sort of influence in some way. And even if neither of those end up being the case, I reiterate that GW is at this point likely just too far gone for Kirby's departure to have much of an impact. The damage is done, he's just bailing out before the fallout arrives.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Captain Boltmore action figure

:allears:

Now with real heretic-execution action! :commissar:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Tom Kirby isn't crazy, he's forging a narrative. :shepicide:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Just gonna leave this here.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 3, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Lol, a good salesman woudl just see that as an opportunity to hook a kid onto TWO systems.

It's so loving true though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I've never met someone like that, but I don't doubt for an instant that they exist.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I remember meeting one of those guys and he wasn't even running an official GW outlet. This one just punches the industry's gut as a whole.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I've met too many.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
That looks like it was drawn in the early 90s.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
It's from the Viz, it could have been drawn any time in the last two decades and it would look like that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Not a viking posted:

Just gonna leave this here.

Holy poo poo this is amazing. :haw:

wizardstick posted:

It's from the Viz, it could have been drawn any time in the last two decades and it would look like that.

Yep, that's one of the things that makes Viz so wonderful, they've barely improved since I first read it in the early 1990s. :)

E: though now I think about it, it can't be recent as there are two people working at that "War Workshop". :v:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Ok. It's archeologist time.

In order to properly date this artifact, we must use clues from it.

This is clearly from the post-wood elf era. Now, based on the fact that a boxed set with chaos lord and retinue is offered, I think we're looking at something that's possibly in 3rd edition 40k, though it may be from the early 4th edition dynasty.

Do we know for sure that skaven rat ogres are being purchased as a single box set here, or are they being purchased as single-figure boxes?

In addition, the paint names clearly mark this as before the great paint renaming of the upper branding period. I would guess that the rules for these berserkers were developed by Andy Chambers, though it could be Jervis Johnson, based on the window displays--which, despite being satirical, imply dioramas and a large primary color corporate logo, as opposed to the later twin system logos emblazoned on eagle emblems.

I would be very curious to get a closer look at some of the accessories behind the counter. I believe if we see a pin-vise, we could decisively date this work.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
Haha or a quick google search reveals a message board thread about people buying the issue for the strip in 2006.

Started thinking that comparing Viz and GW's history as British counter-culture institutions would be interesting but then realised that they are totally dissimilar and it would only lead to grief.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

You know, it's too bad GW is too cheap to let Karen Traviss write for the Black Library. Her brand of insanity applied to an IP like Warhammer would generate glorious nerd-rage :allears:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
On the contrary, Karin Traviss is someone uniquely suited to writing for something like Warhammer 40K. It's like casting Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, a perfect slam-dunk. She'd probably go on to be one of their most popular authors.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Who is Karen Traviss?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

SirPhoebos posted:

You know, it's too bad GW is too cheap to let Karen Traviss write for the Black Library. Her brand of insanity applied to an IP like Warhammer would generate glorious nerd-rage :allears:

Gay. Space. Marines.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Gay. Space. Marines.

Exactly, why hire someone to write fluff that the deluded part of your audience will never accept, and the perspicacious part already knows is true.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

Who is Karen Traviss?

She's a writer who mostly does licensed tie-in stuff, namely Halo and Star Wars, and is nerd infamous for writing a bunch of Star Wars books about Hard Clones making Hard Choices and how all Jedi are lame and dumb and smell like butts or something.

Basically she writes low-grade military sci-fi and loves to wax rhapsodic about soldiers soldiering and so she'd be an absolutely perfect fit for something like Warhammer 40K which is all about Hard Guardsmen/Marines making Hard Choices and how Chaos is lame and dumb and smells like butts.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

JerryLee posted:

Exactly, why hire someone to write fluff that the deluded part of your audience will never accept, and the perspicacious part already knows is true.

Scientific revolutions are made of the grist from milling difficult ideas against the stone of social mores.

And when they succeed, the enemy is forced to make a leadership check or retreat 2d6 inches. 3d6 if they have expeditious retreat. 3d6 take the highest and subtract it from the lowest if they have 'Stearn'. 4d6 take the mean average and compare it to the mode to produce a value which then results in a series of 6 sided die rolls; if you roll a 6, stop rolling, but otherwise keep a rolling total and then determine, based on the equation y=x^x + x4+ 2 how many dice to roll, where x is the value rolled on a 6 sided die. Then take the value y, and roll under it on leadership value of d6s, and, if the number of 'hits' against an enemy of T4 is greater than the total wounds remaining in the unit, hire Karen Traviss.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Gay. Space. Marines.
Are we forgetting that the Dark Anegls' secret is that their primarch is gay?

JerryLee posted:

Because if you swap the words 'deluded' and 'perspicacious' around you have a shining example of everything Mat Ward did for GW :v:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kai Tave posted:

She's a writer who mostly does licensed tie-in stuff, namely Halo and Star Wars, and is nerd infamous for writing a bunch of Star Wars books about Hard Clones making Hard Choices and how all Jedi are lame and dumb and smell like butts or something.

Never read any star wars books, but from your description this would actually appeal to me. Jedi are boring as poo poo and completely 1 dimensional. All I care about are manly imperial troopers in skin tight body armor fighting manly battles against panzy rear end space terrorists (rebels).

Throw in a tatooine volleyball scene and it would be gold.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

She also had a massive Mandalorian Fetish. But not a fetish for Mandalorians as anyone else had portrayed them, just her perfect vision for them.

But yeah, she didn't like Jedi either and made them into mustache twirling villians half the time.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That sounds fantastic, but I'm sure it was executed as well as GWs heresy books

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Gay. Space. Marines.

English Lit posted:

The Dark Angel

DARK Angel, with thine aching lust
To rid the world of penitence:
Malicious Angel, who still dost
My soul such subtile violence!

Because of thee, no thought, no thing,
Abides for me undesecrate:
Dark Angel, ever on the wing,
Who never reachest me too late!

When music sounds, then changest thou
Its silvery to a sultry fire:
Nor will thine envious heart allow
Delight untortured by desire.

Through thee, the gracious Muses turn,
To Furies, O mine Enemy!
And all the things of beauty burn
With flames of evil ecstasy.

Because of thee, the land of dreams
Becomes a gathering place of fears:
Until tormented slumber seems
One vehemence of useless tears.

When sunlight glows upon the flowers,
Or ripples down the dancing sea:
Thou, with thy troop of passionate powers,
Beleaguerest, bewilderest, me.

Within the breath of autumn woods,
Within the winter silences:
Thy venomous spirit stirs and broods,
O Master of impieties!

The ardour of red flame is thine,
And thine the steely soul of ice:
Thou poisonest the fair design
Of nature, with unfair device.

Apples of ashes, golden bright;
Waters of bitterness, how sweet!
O banquet of a foul delight,
Prepared by thee, dark Paraclete!

Thou art the whisper in the gloom,
The hinting tone, the haunting laugh:
Thou art the adorner of my tomb,
The minstrel of mine epitaph.

I fight thee, in the Holy Name!
Yet, what thou dost, is what God saith:
Tempter! should I escape thy flame,
Thou wilt have helped my soul from Death:

The second Death, that never dies,
That cannot die, when time is dead:
Live Death, wherein the lost soul cries,
Eternally uncomforted.

Dark Angel, with thine aching lust!
Of two defeats, of two despairs:
Less dread, a change to drifting dust,
Than thine eternity of cares.

Do what thou wilt, thou shalt not so,
Dark Angel! triumph over me:
Lonely, unto the Lone I go;
Divine, to the Divinity.

- Lionel Johnson

Which frankly holds infinitely more interest for me than the "...But half of them are ~CHAOS~!" route they went.

And even still, Ian Watson's flatulence-as-station metaphor in Space Marine is fun social commentary. Also, the Chaplain eating your fallen brethren's blood and making GBS threads out a memorial marble.

Everybody should read Space Marine and be sad that it was marginalized.

Oldhammer had such good thoughts. They severely dumbed-down everything into pastiches of cartoon violence, and it ultimately hurt the worldbuilding.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 4, 2014

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Scientific revolutions are made of the grist from milling difficult ideas against the stone of social mores.

And when they succeed, the enemy is forced to make a leadership check or retreat 2d6 inches. 3d6 if they have expeditious retreat. 3d6 take the highest and subtract it from the lowest if they have 'Stearn'. 4d6 take the mean average and compare it to the mode to produce a value which then results in a series of 6 sided die rolls; if you roll a 6, stop rolling, but otherwise keep a rolling total and then determine, based on the equation y=x^x + x4+ 2 how many dice to roll, where x is the value rolled on a 6 sided die. Then take the value y, and roll under it on leadership value of d6s, and, if the number of 'hits' against an enemy of T4 is greater than the total wounds remaining in the unit, hire Karen Traviss.

Since this is GW and will never happen...

October 11, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

BULBASAUR posted:

Never read any star wars books, but from your description this would actually appeal to me. Jedi are boring as poo poo and completely 1 dimensional. All I care about are manly imperial troopers in skin tight body armor fighting manly battles against panzy rear end space terrorists (rebels).

Throw in a tatooine volleyball scene and it would be gold.

Basically, if you gave any shits about Star Wars' Extended Universe, almost everything written by her would send you into a seething rage. But since you don't, yeah it seems that you are the perfect audience.

Also she handles criticism as well as Zoe Quinn.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Also she handles criticism as well as Zoe Quinn.

turn left phoebos nooooo

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Didn't Traviss also complain about it being unrealistic that the main Star Wars cast could survive so much for so long and proceeded to drop a goddamned moon on Chewbacca's head or was that some other hack like Stackpole?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

adamantium|wang posted:

Didn't Traviss also complain about it being unrealistic that the main Star Wars cast could survive so much for so long and proceeded to drop a goddamned moon on Chewbacca's head or was that some other hack like Stackpole?

That was Salvatore that actually wrote that book, though to be fair it was part of a whole series by a bunch of authors. They had major plot points they were given to work into their novels that were part of an overall storyline, and Salvatore got "kill Chewie", more or less.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The Gate posted:

That was Salvatore that actually wrote that book, though to be fair it was part of a whole series by a bunch of authors. They had major plot points they were given to work into their novels that were part of an overall storyline, and Salvatore got "kill Chewie", more or less.

Travis worst offences came from the follow up series to that where she turned the jedi into incompetent idiots that were regularly slaughtered by Tacticool Mandalorians and she straight up killed characters that effectively 'belonged' to other authors because she didn't like them. Also she had a massive meltdown over people saying her writing was bad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Isn't she pretty much the only Star Wars Expanded Universe author to ever get fired from the job?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I first read some star wars EU stuff in 1996.

I haven't read any star wars EU stuff since 1996.

Terri-bad.

I'd be willing to give it one more shot though before I totally write it off, hijacking the GW is doomed thread, can anyone recommend any 'must read' EU books? I'm not 100% sure on what I read, it might have been the post-RotJ series, I definitely remember Leia orbitting Endor and freaking out about the point of the emperor's death passing through her.. or something dumb like that.

Anyway, recommend me SW EU pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Darksaber. Its the best worst EU book I ever read. Surprisingly, its not about a cursed/evil lightsaber.

... lightsaber is in my phone's autocorrect/complete. :doh:

• Locked thread