Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

kensei posted:

Link me to the detail on this please?

quote:

Jim Ross, a pro wrestling Hall of Fame announcer who has made no secret about his desire to broadcast mixed martial arts, will be teaming with controversial fighter Chael Sonnen, in doing the broadcasting for Battleground MMA, a pay-per-view show from the BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla., on Oct. 3.

Negotiations had been dating back a few months to land the Ross/Sonnen combination.

Ross, who started announcing pro wrestling nearly 40 years ago in Tulsa, has done football with the Atlanta Falcons and the XFL, amateur wrestling, and most recently pro boxing, but is far better known for his work in pro wrestling. He began in that genre working for former NCAA champion wrestler Leroy McGuirk out of Tulsa in the 1970s, and went on to work for Mid South Wrestling, Jim Crockett Promotions, World Championship Wrestling, Smoky Mountain Wrestling and World Wrestling Entertainment where at one time he was also Vice President of Talent Relations..

Since leaving WWE one year ago and becoming a Podcast host, Ross has talked of his desire to announce MMA. It is possible he has broadcasted more pay-per-view events than any announcer in the world. He was voted announcer of the year in pro wrestling 14 times.

Sonnen, who is on a two-year suspension and has announced his retirement as a fighter, will be broadcasting his first pay-per-view event, although he did analyst work for FOX before being let go from both the network and the UFC after failing two drug tests earlier this year.

The show harkens back to the old days of mixed martial arts, with an eight-man tournament in the welterweight division. The tournament features six former UFC fighters, in Dennis Hallman (53-15-2), Brock Larson (37-8), Roan Carneiro (17-9), Luigi Fiorvanti (24-11), Cody McKenzie (15-4) and David Mitchell (14-4). Also in the tournament is former Strikeforce fighter Trey Houston (10-2) and two-time All-American wrestler Chris Honeycutt (4-0).

Honeycutt is the least experienced fighter, but also unique in that he was second in the 2012 NCAA tournament at 197 pounds, wrestling for Edinboro College. He moved to California to train under former NCAA champion and UFC star Josh Koscheck, but will compete here at 170.

The main event on the show pits Ryan Couture (8-3), the son of MMA Hall of Famer Randy Couture, against Jonny Carson (11-6).

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/9/3/6104221/jim-ross-chael-sonnen-team-up-as-announcers-on-battleground-mma-ppv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I will pay any cost and bear any burden to be there live and in person.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

lol

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Luigi Fiorivanti, woah

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gonna laugh when Cody Mackinzie guillotines everyone.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

henkman posted:

Luigi Fiorivanti, woah

Yeah, that thing is a UFC burnout party. Throw in a deroided Monson and you would have the greatest sedative ever invented.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hallman is going to win it.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Hallman has no tread left on his tires

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
boy that's going to be great

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I'm going for chris honeycutt

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
The absence of love for Jonny "The King of Late Night" Carson has me smdh

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

i feel like cody is always gonna be weaker than the other guy no matter what weightclass and he seems to choke everyone if he gets it in there so why not fight at heavyweight

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

niethan posted:

i feel like cody is always gonna be weaker than the other guy no matter what weightclass and he seems to choke everyone if he gets it in there so why not fight at heavyweight

Because z-league trashweights have a natural guillotine defense: hotdog neck

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

LobsterMobster posted:

Because z-league trashweights have a natural guillotine defense: hotdog neck

I don't follow pro wrestling that closely, has Hulk Hogan really never been tapped?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

E: double post

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
*holds envelope to forehead*

Who issssssssssss

the next person to beat Ryan Couture HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
A one night tournament with names and JR and Chael? It's like one of my dreams came true.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hopefully JR sobers up enough to not saying anything too racist.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

coconono posted:

Hopefully JR sobers up enough to not saying anything too racist.

Still wondering how Chael is gonna gently caress this up to add to his storied career of mishaps

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Second place Sonnen can't even be the lead pbp guy. :smith:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Nothing you can say can sully me on the idea of a Jim Ross/Chael Sonnen announce team.

Actually there probably are things you can say that will but please don't. tia

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a kickboxing thread.

http://youtu.be/qL84a9juSy4

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
There is, it's currently incarcerated awaiting trial for assault in Brussels, though

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

maffew buildings posted:

There is, it's currently incarcerated awaiting trial for assault in Brussels, though

:lol:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

1st AD posted:

Second place Sonnen can't even be the lead pbp guy.

It's not mindboggling that a career play by play guy would do play by play while somebody who knows the intricacies of the sport would do color. In fact having those two on hand and using them the other way around would be outright stupid. This will be amazing regardless of how bad the card is btw (which it won't be because Cody Mckenzie is gonna be there).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Skip My Posts posted:

Is there a kickboxing thread.

http://youtu.be/qL84a9juSy4

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630848

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
So apparently all the charges against Thiago Silva were dropped because his ex-wife moved out of the country so they can't subpoena her as a witness.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Randomly popped up on Youtube's trending videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMjfqzoa_RE

part of warmachine's court appearance.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

fatherdog posted:

So apparently all the charges against Thiago Silva were dropped because his ex-wife moved out of the country so they can't subpoena her as a witness.

Lmao

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I'm going to assume the judge and prosecutor found out Pablo is banging their wives too.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
There are some sort of fights on http://teamnogueira.tv/ in 2 hours and 20 minutes (10:20 PM Eastern)

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

Hahahaha Hahahaha Jesus christ

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

maffew buildings posted:

Lol

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gregor Samsa posted:

Hahahaha Hahahaha Jesus christ

The guy who threatened her and her current boyfriend with an automatic weapon gets out on bail, and mysteriously, she leaves the country! Why, this case just fell apart in our hands, there was nothing we could do!

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

fatherdog posted:

The guy who threatened her and her current boyfriend with an automatic weapon gets out on bail, and mysteriously, she leaves the country! Why, this case just fell apart in our hands, there was nothing we could do!

I understand she's the primary witness, but he invaded a gym with an AK and then finished up with a SWAT standoff. There's probably dozens of witnesses who can attest to him waving an assault rifle around. Ft. Lauderdale DAs must be incompetent shitheels if they can't keep that case alive.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

EvanSchenck posted:

Ft. Lauderdale DAs must be incompetent shitheels

:siren::siren: CONGRATULATIONS YOU'RE A WINNER! :siren::siren:

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Nice job to whoever said, "never leave it in the hands of the judges" earlier

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Well, there's some blame to go around. How does a judge give Thiago Silva bail? He's a trained fighter, citizen of a non-extradition country, facing a double-digit sentence, due to charges for threatening the witnesses with assault weapons. He's like the walking definition of a flight risk and danger to the community.

vainman posted:

Nice job to whoever said, "never leave it in the hands of the judges" earlier

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Forgot Bellator was starting up again. Are we getting a new thread for the season? I thought they were ending weekly shows under Coker, or are they just doing away with tournaments? Also, holy crap, the Barn Cat is back after a five-year layoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Thank you