Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

slightpirate posted:

If one were to want to build an Assassin's Creed themed mobile suit, which model would you guys suggest? My initial gut reaction is Exia, followed closely by vanilla Strike.

Someone has clearly never watched Build Fighters. :v: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/XXXG-01Wf_Wing_Gundam_Fenice http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Gundam_Fenice_Rinascita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

slightpirate posted:

If one were to want to build an Assassin's Creed themed mobile suit, which model would you guys suggest? My initial gut reaction is Exia, followed closely by vanilla Strike.
Exia Audiatore. :v:
It's a concept I've been working on for quite a while actually, finding lineart that is useable has been the hardest part; so it's barely anything but drawings. Also I have yet to do a full paintjob and major mods so this is a backburner project for sure. :v:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slightpirate posted:

Hi nu has wrist blades, crossbones get cloaks

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Wow, it just now hit me that Nils Nielson has an affinity for metallic paint jobs.

I imagine an Assassin's Creed Gunpla would use the Crossbone as a base, simply because it has so many hidden blades. The cloak doesn't hurt, either.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Midjack posted:

I would avoid any goop in a tube cement. Testors also makes clear brush on plastic cement similar to the Tamiya cement described above.

That would be what I was talking about. Testors' Model Master stuff in the little squeeze dealy with the metal applicator tip. It's welding cement just like the Tamiya.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I never got around to painting up that model over the holiday weekend due to laziness, rain, and it being approximately all the degrees ever outside. I did have one more question, though. When spraying, what sort of mask should I wear? I see those little masks around that say stuff like "for relief from non-harmful paint and sanding", but I'm not so sure they're appropriate.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

I never got around to painting up that model over the holiday weekend due to laziness, rain, and it being approximately all the degrees ever outside. I did have one more question, though. When spraying, what sort of mask should I wear? I see those little masks around that say stuff like "for relief from non-harmful paint and sanding", but I'm not so sure they're appropriate.

I don't know how international the rating scheme is, but in the US you want a P100-rated particulate filter. This keeps the paint out of your lungs.
If you're dealing with enamels or lacquers (or really anything beyond acrylic paints and rubbing alcohol) you should get a mask/cartridge that also does organic vapor filtering. This keeps the solvents out.

That disclaimer probably means it only does particulate filtering, and definitely shouldn't be used if lead paint is involved.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

RG Aile Strike built, just needs a couple hours of cleanup and then lining and decals :negative:

Build Strike in there for comparison, still only about half-painted.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is it necessary to put on a gloss coat before preforming a panel wash?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Is it necessary to put on a gloss coat before preforming a panel wash?

If you don't have a smooth surface, capillary action will make the ink suck in all over the place and make it impossible to wipe away the excess.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
My Hi-Nu is stranded at the PO just out of my reach and I am sitting here craving the drat thing like some sort of addict, what the hell is wrong with me?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

My Hi-Nu is stranded at the PO just out of my reach and I am sitting here craving the drat thing like some sort of addict, what the hell is wrong with me?

the hi- nu is a goddamn work of art, so it's perfectly fine to crave it.

I'm guessing it's the ver. ka?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You call that art? THIS IS ART!

http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2014/09/1144-beargguy-mr-ral-guy-custom-build.html

He's 1/35 scale. :v:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Monaghan posted:

I'm guessing it's the ver. ka?

I now happily live in a reality where no other version exists. That thing they released in 2007? Pretty sure that was somebody's idea of a joke.

Bearguy-San is easily the best thing to come out of Build Fighters, and if one of the hobby mags put together a book of insano BG customs I'd seriously consider buying it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bimmi posted:

Bearguy-San is easily the best thing to come out of Build Fighters, and if one of the hobby mags put together a book of insano BG customs I'd seriously consider buying it.

Easily, my dad half wants me to buy another for him and custom paint it to be either the Hulk or Rocket Raccoon, since he's a bit of a Marvel movie nut. Then the semester started so he stopped with that for a bit. Still thinking about doing it for him for Christmas or something.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Bimmi posted:

I have mine sitting right next to me right now but I probably won't be able to build it for another 2 months unless I skimp out on some uni work :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I had the opportunity to gaze upon the majesty of a Neo Zeong box at my local hobby shop today. It's so big. :stare:

TARDISman posted:

Easily, my dad half wants me to buy another for him and custom paint it to be either the Hulk or Rocket Raccoon, since he's a bit of a Marvel movie nut. Then the semester started so he stopped with that for a bit. Still thinking about doing it for him for Christmas or something.

Was the first one also customized into something, out of curiosity? I swear I'm going to buy a Beargguy III myself because I keep looking at the drat thing every time I see one. Might see what the new Variant's going to look like and wait for that. I also never stop being amazed at what people customize that little guy into :allears:.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I have the old version of the Hi-Nu, and while I'm perfectly happy with it, I can't wait to get my hands on the ver Ka. That being said, I can't get it for a few months, but my HWS pack is already on its way.

I can't wait to have that sitting around, waiting for the main show to arrive.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Where did you order yours from? Mine's saying the HWS pack is an october release.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I meant in terms of having it ordered and paid for, not actually shipping, sorry for that.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still want to thin out my monster backlog
please buy my gundams, ill toss in free SD's with orders from cool guys
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662597&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post434420249

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Fauxtool posted:

I still want to thin out my monster backlog
please buy my gundams, ill toss in free SD's with orders from cool guys
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662597&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post434420249
I would have bought so much if you weren't explicitly not shipping to Europe before.
Freedom 0 - Commie URUP - 1 :shepface:

(Why are you selling it all if I may ask? I'm not a fan of some of your collection but that no doubt took a ton of effort to collect.)

Zedd fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 4, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zedd posted:

I would have bought so much if you weren't explicitly not shipping to Europe before.
Freedom 0 - Commie URUP - 1 :shepface:

(Why are you selling it all if I may ask? I'm not a fan of some of your collection but that no doubt took a ton of effort to collect.)

Because I got really comfortable with using yahoo.jp and amazon.jp so I dont need to buy things when they come out. I can always find what I want when I am actually going to use it.

I also paid well under retail for the majority of them. I am still coming out ahead by beating amazon prices

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 4, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Model Comprehend 1/144 Penelope Gundam. MC just taking all the money.

1/60 Metal Katana for PG Astray Red Frame. Which means Daban is making PG Astray, which comes with this as a first batch bonus, along with this...

PG-sized Tactical Arms. :stare:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

As if I needed to give China more money. :stare:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Model Comprehend 1/144 Penelope Gundam. MC just taking all the money.

Aw, poo poo, son. I still need to build that Xi.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I completely forgot that I matte coated a gogg backpack just to try it out with testors and left it in the basement, found it today and wow that looks good. So i've got some stick/alligator clips coming, looks like styrofoam or something else is in order for holding them, anything else recommended for clear coating?

Also on the subject of matte coats while I think it was agreed that there are better matte coats that testors, I don't remember if anyone recommended one that is easy to get in the US. Or barring that recommended one to order.

Don't have an airbrush yet and I'm just now starting to mess with painting.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I'm almost glad I didn't get the chance to get that Xi now. What I'm less glad about is the prospect of painting that PG Astray. If those hands are anything like the hands on the PG Strike, I don't know how I'm gonna get them apart and back together again without ruining them.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

madpanda posted:

I completely forgot that I matte coated a gogg backpack just to try it out with testors and left it in the basement, found it today and wow that looks good. So i've got some stick/alligator clips coming, looks like styrofoam or something else is in order for holding them, anything else recommended for clear coating?

Also on the subject of matte coats while I think it was agreed that there are better matte coats that testors, I don't remember if anyone recommended one that is easy to get in the US. Or barring that recommended one to order.

Don't have an airbrush yet and I'm just now starting to mess with painting.

Mr. Hobby clears and the Mr. Super Clear are really great topcoats, but they can be tricky to get in the US. For a matte coat, Testors Dullcote has been fine. I prefer a Mr. Super Clear flat when I can get it, but everyone carries Testors. If you had an airbrush, I'd add Future floor polish mixed with a little bit of Tamiya Flat Base to make a topcoat of your preferred sheen, but that's not an option, so :shrug:

I've had mostly poo poo results with Games Workshop's Purity Seal, so I can't recommend that at all.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Welp, here's what I've been up to lately. lovely pictures, etc., of course:

HGBF Wing Gundam Fenice

Didn't get many good pictures of this guy, sadly. I really need to make a lightbox. The Testor's Dullcote looks alright, over all, but I'll probably get another kit to fix some of my lining problems and maybe give a proper full paintjob with better topcoat someday. Also not snap the V-fin twice during assembly. :downs:

SD Gundam Mk. IV

Just took care of some nubs, lined and topcoated it for my girlfriend.

HGFC Nobell Gundam:

Okay, I also bought and built this for my girlfriend, but it was definitely the build I've enjoyed most thusfar. Everything fit together beautifully and it was amazing to see happen, regardless of how simple of a kit it is. The articulation is fantastic, too. :allears:

I still need to paint the underside of the hair; I'm waiting until I have time to go out and buy primer and black paint.

Not pictured are an HG Deathscythe Hell Custom (needs lining, a new chin sticker, and topcoat) and an RG Destiny (needs lining, obsessive decaling, and topcoat.)

Maybe not the right thread for these next couple things, but making things for my girlfriend has paid off in spades, because she is now supporting my plastic crack addiction:

Definitely need to make my next kit for her a good one. :kimchi: Recommendations for really good SD kits welcome.

I'm also looking for some recommendations for a heavy-duty painting mask, considering I'm using mostly spray cans. I'd like to be able to paint on days where there's not a healthy breeze to keep the fumes away from me. Anyone want to chime in there?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The only ones I've been able to find in my local hobby store are Testor's and Games Workshop. I used Games Workshop purity seal on my MG Zaku II and I liked how it came out. However I've heard horror stories of it making panel lines run and I don't like giving Games Workshop my money. Although the can is large and will last for a couple kits, while the testor's cans are pretty small.

I've been wanting to give Mr. Hobby and Mr. Super Clear a try, but they're $20-30 on Amazon and I can't just waltz into a store that's 5 minutes away from my apartment when I need more.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
BeargGuy-III's probably a good choice if you want to get her a cute HG kit. Who can resist a teddy bear that gives laser death hugs?

Or for something specifically from the SD range, why not the Neo-Zeong? It only gets sillier when you stick other SD-size things in it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Zwingley posted:

I'm also looking for some recommendations for a heavy-duty painting mask, considering I'm using mostly spray cans. I'd like to be able to paint on days where there's not a healthy breeze to keep the fumes away from me. Anyone want to chime in there?

Just go to a hardware store and get something rated for paint fumes. Ask an employee for more details.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Uh oh, my backlog is getting big:

I think I'm running out of shelf space.

And I'm making this glorious bastard...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Is it backlog dickwaving time?

Not pictured: the MG Destiny Extreme Blast coming in tomorrow, and all of my in-progress stuff. Incidentally I actually took an axe to my queue of HGs, so now I'm only working on Nu HWS and Sazabi + NZ. Everything else got given away or trashed, including that 00 grunt. :smith:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I wish I had a backlog, but I'm broke.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Has anybody tried kitbashing the RG kits with any of the HGBF stuff? If the Exia RII stuff were more easily available, I'd try it with the Amazing Exia, but it looks like my autumn project might be the RG Build Gundam MkII.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Build Booster mkII has a peg specifically so it can connect to the RG, and Bandai even put up a guide on how to make a RG Build mkII a while back. And RG Amazing Exia, Build Strike, and Zaku Amazing aren't as easy, but they're entirely doable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Is it backlog dickwaving time?

Not pictured: the MG Destiny Extreme Blast coming in tomorrow, and all of my in-progress stuff. Incidentally I actually took an axe to my queue of HGs, so now I'm only working on Nu HWS and Sazabi + NZ. Everything else got given away or trashed, including that 00 grunt. :smith:

Do I need to post mine again? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I've got a Zaku 2.0. It's pretty manageable.

• Locked thread