Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

juche mane posted:

Does anywone know if they have made mention of casting, or have possibly even already casted any extra-typical body typed people in the new Star Wars films? I think it would be fantastically progressive, and something to be proud of, if say a human character in this Galaxy were anything but movie star thin and attractive (unrealistic much?) Though I suppose there's a perfectly cannon in-universe explanation, of where people in the Star Wars Galaxy would receive nutrients and get their essential vital mix of vitamins and perhaps even have widespread access to fat blockers/lipo (I'm even imagining some sort of 'chemo' for excess body fat) to keep people in shape, due to the vastly advanced technology. Most people probably live sedentary lives anyway outside of Jedi, Military, and Scoundrel types. Hey, if they have bacta, anything is possible, lol...

They already got you covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Neo Rasa posted:

Think the closest you might get is an amputee being used as a stand-in for when a character's arm gets lightsabered off or something like in Alien Resurrection/Ben-Hur/The Thing/etc., though, to bring it full circle, I would be so down with a George Miller, Werner Herzog or Jodorowsky Star Wars.

Well, if you want amputees in your star wars films, Jodorowsky would really be the one to go to.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008
There's Cliegg Lars in AotC, I guess.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

CJSwiss posted:

There's Cliegg Lars in AotC, I guess.

Amputees are overrepresented in the star wars movies. Think on that.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
How about bigger heroes

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yoda uses a cane and sometimes a floating chair but it turns out he can jump everywhere (although he's mostly levitating himself around)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

juche mane posted:

How about bigger heroes

Porkins? Dax? There's all sorts of fatties in Star Wars, what are you talking about

e: Don't tell me you think this fat gently caress couldn't stand to lose a few pounds

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Please don't trunkshame.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

feedmyleg posted:

Porkins? Dax? There's all sorts of fatties in Star Wars, what are you talking about

e: Don't tell me you think this fat gently caress couldn't stand to lose a few pounds

Dude, look at all the excess skin. Max Rebo is in the middle of a huge weight loss, lay off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I heard they got three actors who are at or near retirement age to be in the new movies. Kind of progressive to cast seniors in a hollywood film, although I heard one broke his hip on a door or some poo poo. Way to live down to the stereotype, gramps.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So close.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

kiimo posted:

So close.

Who is that playing Jabba?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

SirPhoebos posted:

Who is that playing Jabba?

Declan Mulholland.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

I heard they got three actors who are at or near retirement age to be in the new movies. Kind of progressive to cast seniors in a hollywood film, although I heard one broke his hip on a door or some poo poo. Way to live down to the stereotype, gramps.

Eh, casting seems OK to me so far.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

I'd watch the hell out of this movie.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Kingdom Hearts 3 seems to be shaping up well, I see.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Star Wars is now even part of Once Upon A Time, sort of. One episode of the Wonderland spinoff had Queen of Hearts suggesting that Jafar (from Aladdin) use a sarlacc to capture Alice because it will take a millennia for it to digest her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Corporate synergy at work. Kind of ironic that a show drawing on shared myths and folklore has ended up pulling from its own intellectual property for new material because its parent company has destroyed the concept of the public domain.

Although I guess the show is predicated on the Disney versions of all those stories anyway, so whatever.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Jack Gladney posted:

Corporate synergy at work. Kind of ironic that a show drawing on shared myths and folklore has ended up pulling from its own intellectual property for new material because its parent company has destroyed the concept of the public domain.

Although I guess the show is predicated on the Disney versions of all those stories anyway, so whatever.

We're through the looking glass here people. There are no more myths anymore. There's not even mythopoeicism. Soon Disney's slogan will be "We Can Make Your Cultural History for You Wholesale."

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

The MSJ posted:

Star Wars is now even part of Once Upon A Time, sort of. One episode of the Wonderland spinoff had Queen of Hearts suggesting that Jafar (from Aladdin) use a sarlacc to capture Alice because it will take a millennia for it to digest her.

Did the Queen Of Hearts suddenly become more sinister then the freaking Horned King all of a sudden?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

It's good to know that that's still canon.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Corek posted:

It's good to know that that's still canon.

Why wouldn't it be? 3P0 says it in Jedi.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PeterWeller posted:

That might be a reference to Boba's adventures with the Sarlaac.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PeterWeller posted:

Wait, he does? I thought that was EU bull.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Corek posted:

Wait, he does? I thought that was EU bull.

C-3PO: "His High Exaltedness, the great Jabba the Hutt, has decreed that you are to be terminated immediately."
Han Solo: "Good, I hate long waits."
C-3PO: "You will therefore be taken to the Dune Sea and cast into the pit of Carkoon, the nesting place of the all-powerful Sarlacc."
Han Solo: "Doesn't sound so bad."
C-3PO: "In his belly, you will find a new definition of pain and suffering, as you are slowly digested over a thousand years."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

wyoming posted:

C-3PO: "His High Exaltedness, the great Jabba the Hutt, has decreed that you are to be terminated immediately."
Han Solo: "Good, I hate long waits."
C-3PO: "You will therefore be taken to the Dune Sea and cast into the pit of Carkoon, the nesting place of the all-powerful Sarlacc."
Han Solo: "Doesn't sound so bad."
C-3PO: "In his belly, you will find a new definition of pain and suffering, as you are slowly digested over a thousand years."

Jabba (via C3PO) might not be a reliable narrator.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Madurai posted:

Jabba (via C3PO) might not be a reliable narrator.

Translating is his job. I am pretty sure he wouldn't screw it up given what happened to Jabba's last interpreter droid.

edit: I am loving retarded. It is possible Jabba's information could be bad. After all, who has been around for 1000 years to know for sure.

Wait I have no doubt there's some EU story about some dude who has been around for 1000 years tracking the digestion habits of sarlaac creatures.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 8, 2014

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Being digested for 1000 years doesn't even make sense, until I bothered to look up how a sarlacc works.

It's like two elementary kids having a back and forth trying to find air-tight reasons for their function. It's a lot easier to accept if it really were kids trying to figure that out but no it's adults who are paid to make all this extra star wars stuff.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

K. Waste posted:

We're through the looking glass here people. There are no more myths anymore. There's not even mythopoeicism. Soon Disney's slogan will be "We Can Make Your Cultural History for You Wholesale."

They haven't touched my South-East Asian culture's history yet but they are apparently planning a Polynesian princess movie so they are getting there. Hurry up, will ya Disney?

Once Upon A Time already had Peter Pan, Mulan and even Frankenstein show up. Guess who's coming next?

Freakazoid_ posted:

Being digested for 1000 years doesn't even make sense, until I bothered to look up how a sarlacc works.

It's like two elementary kids having a back and forth trying to find air-tight reasons for their function. It's a lot easier to accept if it really were kids trying to figure that out but no it's adults who are paid to make all this extra star wars stuff.

I think the only reason that part stuck is to allow Boba Fett to come back somehow.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The MSJ posted:

They haven't touched my South-East Asian culture's history yet but they are apparently planning a Polynesian princess movie so they are getting there. Hurry up, will ya Disney?

Uh they already have, it's called Lilo & Stitch.

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Once Upon A Time already had Peter Pan, Mulan and even Frankenstein show up. Guess who's coming next?

The girl from frozen?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The MSJ posted:

Disney's House of Mouse.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

computer parts posted:

Uh they already have, it's called Lilo & Stitch.

That means they are closer than ever!

Zadus Rejan posted:

The girl from frozen?

Yes. Elsa, Anna, and Kristoff will all be in the latest season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Frozen was a lovely movie with god-awful "animation" and it's been steamrolling every aspect of pop culture since it came out. I'd really love for it to disappear entirely.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Frozen was a lovely movie with god-awful "animation" and it's been steamrolling every aspect of pop culture since it came out. I'd really love for it to disappear entirely.

Post/avatar/name combo extraordinaire.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'd also like for Doctor Who to go away forever, if that helps.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want them to just take scripts from the 60s-80s episodes and re-do them without changing a word. Over and over again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

feedmyleg posted:

I want them to just take scripts from the 60s-80s episodes and re-do them without changing a word. Over and over again.

I can't wait to see the gritty 2015 version of Kandyman.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't wait to see the gritty 2015 version of Kandyman.

You joke, but if they brought back Kandyman, I'd jump up and down like a five year old on christmas morn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:agreed:

• Locked thread