Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I'm now convinced she's the right person for 40k. Hopefully, she'd kill off Gaunt, Eisenhorn, maybe a few of the more beloved Marines. It would be hilarious.
Can she pull the plug on Guilliman? As much as I dislike Russ for forcing Magnus to go full chaos, Guilliman is the only Primarch I legitimately hate so if she was to write that his stasis thingo malfunctioned and he promptly died I would be most pleased.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Pretend the Timothy Zahn books are the only EU books ever and call it good. Read the novelization of Episode 1 if you wan't to witness Terry Brooks desperately try and save the plot of that shitpile.
He wrote the master trilogy, didn't he? I can't remember what it was called but it was the one where some Imperial warlord coerces a rogue jedi master to work for them in exchange for getting Luke and Leia as apprentices or something.
Is Truce at Bakura well-received? I kinda liked that novel :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

HiveCommander posted:

Can she pull the plug on Guilliman? As much as I dislike Russ for forcing Magnus to go full chaos, Guilliman is the only Primarch I legitimately hate so if she was to write that his stasis thingo malfunctioned and he promptly died I would be most pleased.

He wrote the master trilogy, didn't he? I can't remember what it was called but it was the one where some Imperial warlord coerces a rogue jedi master to work for them in exchange for getting Luke and Leia as apprentices or something.
Is Truce at Bakura well-received? I kinda liked that novel :ohdear:

I think it's called the Thrawn trilogy. It's about how a blue guy can destroy anybody as long as he can study their art. Also star destroyers with magic anti-hyperdrive rays.

Also lizard cat ninja race that worships darth vader.

And the guy you're thinking of is Master consonantconsonantvowelvowelvowelth. And he's a clone of a clone and haunted by dead jedi who were his friends but hate him now.

And also the emperor gets cloned.

And Luke meets a secret sort-of-dark-jedi slave of the former emperor who hates him, but then decides he's kind of sexy.

And there's a part with furry things that block the force. As an adaptation to avoid being eaten by things that use the force to track their prey.

But if you *really* want to be thrilled by the Zahn touch, read his series about japanese space geckos who have an immortality gland in their head which is also how they communicate instantly across stellar space and how radio waves destroy their souls resulting in a war against the humans who have VR goggle wearing fighter pilots who are addicted to being in space because of how great electromagnetic sensations taste through the filter of their metahuman cyberlink.

I'm not thrilled with his writing, honestly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

All of this is just further convincing me these people could write for 40k. They're about the right tone of dumb.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

This is a series whose signature element is magic space samurai fighting with laser swords. Zahn does an excellent job of maintaining that status quo, but his real strength is that the characters all behave in a way consistent with their movie counterparts. From what I've heard, this is largely due to him having put the movies on audio tapes to entertain his kids on road trips - So his Han talks like Harrison Ford because Zahn's heard each line about ten thousand times.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ronwayne posted:

yeah, grey nights are pretty poo poo.

I'm pretty sure that's an ultramarine

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

S.J. posted:

Grey knights are still poo poo though.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

S.J. posted:

I don't care if someone beat me to replying to the other guy, what moola said.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I think it's called the Thrawn trilogy. It's about how a blue guy can destroy anybody as long as he can study their art. Also star destroyers with magic anti-hyperdrive rays.

Also lizard cat ninja race that worships darth vader.

And the guy you're thinking of is Master consonantconsonantvowelvowelvowelth. And he's a clone of a clone and haunted by dead jedi who were his friends but hate him now.

And also the emperor gets cloned.

And Luke meets a secret sort-of-dark-jedi slave of the former emperor who hates him, but then decides he's kind of sexy.

And there's a part with furry things that block the force. As an adaptation to avoid being eaten by things that use the force to track their prey.

But if you *really* want to be thrilled by the Zahn touch, read his series about japanese space geckos who have an immortality gland in their head which is also how they communicate instantly across stellar space and how radio waves destroy their souls resulting in a war against the humans who have VR goggle wearing fighter pilots who are addicted to being in space because of how great electromagnetic sensations taste through the filter of their metahuman cyberlink.

Have you read the books? Most of what you're saying is inaccurate or from another author. Cloned Palpatine is the dumbest thing ever but Zahn had nothing to do with that. Also I don't think a cruiser with artificial gravity generators counts as "magic", it's a perfectly logical development. Anything can be made to sound stupid out of context. Zahn's Star Wars books are hardly great literature but they're good genre fiction and as mentioned, are very good at keeping characters and events inline with the movies.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

This actually sounds pretty neat or at least batshit enough to be entertaining on that level.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Moola posted:

Grey knights are still poo poo though.

More like gay Knights.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
I'm grey.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Exinos posted:

More like gay Knights.

Whoa...

Exinos posted:

I'm grey.

WHOA!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Exinos posted:

I'm grey.
:geno:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Literally The Worst posted:

This actually sounds pretty neat or at least batshit enough to be entertaining on that level.

Well I certainly read it all. More than once. But if I had good taste, I wouldn't be posting in a GW thread.

One thing I do like about his stuff is that it *is* incredibly dorky, but there's no sex for sex's sake. No action scenes for action sake. Minimal convenient Deus Ex machina.

However those things are also great at keeping my interest. He really captures the *essence* of how, if you're arguing with your family about religious differences, it's just really uncomfortable conversations punctuated by periods of doing totally unrelated stuff.

And his threads! Jesus. He's got all these threads. But it's more like one thread that is frayed in the middle, and then he's trying to repair it in front of you.

Though, I will say the conqueror trilogy has an Us/Them/Us And Them narrative perspective that's pretty fun through the 3 books.

Damnit! I said I'm not a fan. Stop trying to tease out the nuances of my opinion with your observations, jerk.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Grey Knights are like someone asked 'how can we make the Doom Marine obnoxious as gently caress' and the answer was 'put a gigantic religious stick up his butt'

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Its more like someone asked, how can we make Ultramarines even lamer? Make them even more perfect!!!!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
On the other hand, just a *little* more perfect, and you get the Emperor's Children.

Who are the best legion in all of impedom. humanadome.

Fulgrim is here to exterminatus your boredom kids. It's radical

(fulgrim appears in an explosion of cartoon thunderbolts and neon squiggles, wearing shades--does a kick-flip off the Tv and presents the children with fruit-flavored gummy tape)

Slaanesh! Made with real heretics and combat drugs!

(kid stares directly into camer)
"AWESOME!"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would play hams again if this was the next starter set

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chill la Chill posted:

:homebrew:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

All this Nagash End Times stuff - are they literally ending Warhammer Fantasy?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Of course not. Look at how long 40k has teetered on the razor's edge of the Imperium's Armageddon.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

moths posted:

No they are not.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok, it's been rumored to get poo poo-canned forever and seemed like this might be the sexiest way to pull the plug.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
They might shake up the background a fair bit though. According to he background in the latest book, many of the empires and nations are destroyed, maybe leading to a more post-apocalyptic themed game setting.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Not a viking posted:

They might shake up the background a fair bit though. According to he background in the latest book, many of the empires and nations are destroyed, maybe leading to a more post-apocalyptic themed game setting.

Clearly just an opportunity to shoe-horn in more skulls.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I was really bored today...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

moths posted:

It mostly just sounds like an attempt to make Fantasy closer in tone to 40k.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Night10194 posted:

It mostly just sounds like an attempt to make Fantasy closer in tone to 40k.

The term is grimdarkening

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's not a good change. Grimdark has never been anything but a pejorative.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

On the other hand, just a *little* more perfect, and you get the Emperor's Children.

Who are the best legion in all of impedom. humanadome.

Fulgrim is here to exterminatus your boredom kids. It's radical

(fulgrim appears in an explosion of cartoon thunderbolts and neon squiggles, wearing shades--does a kick-flip off the Tv and presents the children with fruit-flavored gummy tape)

Slaanesh! Made with real heretics and combat drugs!

(kid stares directly into camer)
"AWESOME!"
See, I have EC and GKs.
Perfection on both sides :smug:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Moola I wish you lived near me, we could pay 30 gay together and slam ham after drinking lots of beer. Naturally I would play the homoerotic space elves

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

enri posted:

Clearly just an opportunity to shoe-horn in more skulls.

This, seriously. Just look at the new mount. There are 3 separate heroes on this:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Arkhan-the-Black

(also, the spirits and tail mounting, both of which are probably gonna break the first time you transport it. Great job GW, but not enough, Wyrd had set the bar really high as far as untransportable models go).

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Pierzak posted:

This, seriously. Just look at the new mount. There are 3 separate heroes on this:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Arkhan-the-Black

(also, the spirits and tail mounting, both of which are probably gonna break the first time you transport it. Great job GW, but not enough, Wyrd had set the bar really high as far as untransportable models go).

To be fair, if there is any faction where skulls are actually called for, it's undead. Who are literally walking skeletons.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yes. On the heads. Skull and bone ornaments are OK as well. But cramming a metric fuckton of skulls as filling of the whole beast seems either lazy, or that GW has learned of the "Warhammer = skulls" thing and is trying a self-aware parody.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Moola I wish you lived near me, we could pay 30 gay together and slam ham after drinking lots of beer. Naturally I would play the homoerotic space elves

:hf:

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Pierzak posted:

Yes. On the heads. Skull and bone ornaments are OK as well. But cramming a metric fuckton of skulls as filling of the whole beast seems either lazy, or that GW has learned of the "Warhammer = skulls" thing and is trying a self-aware parody.

You should be impressed. Nagash has found a way to power his engines of war without a dependence on Araby oil but rather using clean burning skulls which are the most abundant natural resource in the Warhammer world.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BULBASAUR posted:

Does that mean Moola is going to play the transerotic Slaanesh army, or the furerotic Space Wolves with anatomically correct sheaths?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Motherfucker, for a moment I thought someone made a :scrunt: emote.
You got my hopes up, man :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

HiveCommander posted:

Motherfucker, for a moment I thought someone made a :scrunt: emote.
You got my hopes up, man :smith:

Well you could always be that someone!

• Locked thread