Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Any thoughts on Puntification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Any thoughts on Puntification?
I really don't know. His av looks evil, so there's that. One of his posts makes me think we should leave him alive? But I don't want to point it out..

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Very good, thank you Juanito.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If I had to make a call on Punt right now I guess I'd go scum.

Puntification posted:

You've got nothing and are riding a bad call because you can't think of anything better to do.

We need some way to stop people lurking because I think most if not all of the scum are among them. Someone fake-claim a vig (don't read if scum tia).

Lurker call out. Being a dick about a d1 case instead of making his own.

Spends time defending himself rather than actually scumhunting.

Here

and here

Puntification posted:

Lumpen, Pinterest and AFP, please click my post history icon and respond to the questions I asked you, thanks.

This is a weird point to make, especially against someone who he expressed suspicion against earlier.

Weird defense of Meinberg and a non sequitur vote to follow

I was bad at reading Punt in our last game but these are bad/weird posts. I'd lunch him over Chaos now that I've read through.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Oh yeah, Punt, I'm not going to explain my suspicion at this moment. Why does it really matter?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

chaoslord posted:

Meinberg, what about my post do you see as willfully misinterpreting rather than just misinterpreting? Obviously you and somber disagree with my interpretation and that's fine, but saying I went out of my way to twist your words rather than just taking something different than you met is a big deal.

I don't see how this post:

Meinberg posted:

Yep, I'm happy with my vote where it is.

Could be seen as me being confident about my earlier theorizing, in contrast to confidence in regarding Lumpen's own misguided ways.

Meanwhile, my first post, here:

Meinberg posted:

Or how about we scumhunt?

Like, for instance, Lumpen's theory here would render the result of the day to more or less random chance at the hands of the fickle mods. Since town outnumbers scum, pure RNG would be more likely to result in the loss of town than scum. By proposing this particular strategem, Lumpen in fact wishes to see town dead, while proclaiming his actions to be pro-town.

##vote Lumpen

Isn't me attempting to build a case from nothing. I'm not saying that Lumpen's plan is a poorly thought out considered one, I'm saying that it is a scummy one, one designed to encourage apathy and limit scumhunting, while having an end result that is anti-town.

It's entirely possible that you've accidentally read my posts wrong. It's also likely that I've expressed myself, as I am prone to do. However, I see your attempt at building a case against from this information as a deliberate attempt to make me look scummy.

Also, I tend to supportive of the mods in the games I play, and Lumpen's attitude towards busb was very insulting, in my opinion. It's possible that this led me to make decisions that weren't as rational as they might have been, like my insult. I can see how this somewhat more emotional course of action could be seen as peculiar in the light of my general posting style.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm trying hard not to engage Lumpen because I want to play this game in good faith and I feel like it's only possible for him to be decent if I try my best to be decent, but I absolutely get where you are coming from Meinberg.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Meinberg posted:

Good morning everyone.

Looking back over things with a clearer head, I don't much care for Chaoslord's case on me. I agree with Somb that he's willfully misinterpreting things in order to present a narrative wherein I'm scum.

Also, Dorkanoid feels off to me. Something about these three posts feels exceedingly forced:

Good evening!

Yeah, this has been a poo poo week, so I was genuinely sorry to miss joke phase. Due to my timezone + general inability to post from work, I've still not got the hang of "getting back to the thread" - so I had fun for a few posts.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Oh yeah, Punt, I'm not going to explain my suspicion at this moment. Why does it really matter?

Well depending on what the suspicion is I could potentially convince you that I'm actually town then we might be able focus on people who're actually scum.

Anyway I made us a flag:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

If I had to make a call on Punt right now I guess I'd go scum.

I was bad at reading Punt in our last game but these are bad/weird posts. I'd lunch him over Chaos now that I've read through.

You are still bad at reading me but I'd happily go to lunch with you anyway.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

50 pounds of bread posted:

What the gently caress is a meinberg anyway?

##vote meinberg

This is a bad vote

##vote 50

This is a slightly better vote

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

dorkanoid posted:

This is a bad vote

##vote 50

This is a slightly better vote

Please explain, and then give me another person you'd consider voting and why!

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Please explain, and then give me another person you'd consider voting and why!

It's a lazy "me too!"-vote on Meinberg.

An anti-case I made basically while reading the case/checking the background:

Meinberg posted:

I feel really dumb for being so certain about the lynchproof nature of the team leads. I could have sworn that this was mentioned somewhere, but upon looking back, I can see that this information is nowhere to be found.

I have not comported myself well, and despite my towniness, I accept that I might be executed today.

While it says nowhere that the ruler is lynchproof, the rules thread says

quote:

You win the game when the rival thread's Ruler is eliminated. The best way to kill the enemy ruler is to reduce the population of the enemy thread in battle (and through other means, if available) as fast as possible. Rulers may not take the field themselves until they cannot assign 5 other players to battle, at which point they MUST assign themselves to battle and MUST be in the front rank.
which I take to mean there are at least one other way to kill a ruler.

However, given that

mr.capps posted:

Thread leaders are told who the other thread's scum team are. and we can even send them messages at night.

They have 4, I assume this is symmetrical and we have 4 also.
and the double plurality possibility I too assumed automatically that the ruler is lynchproof - since an apathetic main lynch could leave 4 votes more than enough to put the ruler at #2.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

MAFIA EDIT: ...and that would be a strange way to potentially end the game on day 1.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Yeah I agree with AFP on Somber, I've gotten THE WEIRD VIBES there as well.

I'd ALSO say the same thing about Meinberg as I do about lumpen: I continuously think he is scum regardless of alignment, so I get a bad read there.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

CCKeane posted:

Yeah I agree with AFP on Somber, I've gotten THE WEIRD VIBES there as well.

I'd ALSO say the same thing about Meinberg as I do about lumpen: I continuously think he is scum regardless of alignment, so I get a bad read there.

I've not played with them enough to really have a feeling, and every time (since I got back) where I accuse someone of being scummy I get "no no that's just how they play" back :(

That being said, I'm leaning town on Lumpen for now - trying to break the voting system like that doesn't really seem like a scum play.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm having a lot of fun right now. Perhaps...perhaps I will come back to mafia after this. But perhaps not. If I lose, I will have to play another game, though.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

dorkanoid posted:

I've not played with them enough to really have a feeling, and every time (since I got back) where I accuse someone of being scummy I get "no no that's just how they play" back :(

That being said, I'm leaning town on Lumpen for now - trying to break the voting system like that doesn't really seem like a scum play.

I disagree with that last part. Mechanics discussion is one of the easiest part of scum play generally, especially when there are multiple systems in a game. It's objective, it's real content, it's not generally focused on scum hunting, and it usually makes you look good.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm having a lot of fun right now. Perhaps...perhaps I will come back to mafia after this. But perhaps not. If I lose, I will have to play another game, though.

You should make fun of Capps, that makes the whole game way more enjoyable, PS Capps eats poo poo.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Somber is town in this game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CCKeane posted:

You should make fun of Capps, that makes the whole game way more enjoyable, PS Capps eats poo poo.

I read your Sbarro post out loud to Savahontas last night and she cackled.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Somberbrero posted:

I disagree with that last part. Mechanics discussion is one of the easiest part of scum play generally, especially when there are multiple systems in a game. It's objective, it's real content, it's not generally focused on scum hunting, and it usually makes you look good.

Even such "controversial" mechanics discussion?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

dorkanoid posted:

Even such "controversial" mechanics discussion?

Yes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Mechanics that can be interpreted multiple ways(good mechanics, that is) are always controversial.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

In that case I retract my defense of Lumpen

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

OK, it wasn't much of a defense, more like a "meh, prob town I guess?"

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

rarity, what are you up to?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

This is a weird point to make, especially against someone who he expressed suspicion against earlier.

Your point here is actually wrong, I didn't say anything about meinberg's alignment until after that post.

OK, I'm gonna make a Puntenlist(tm) of people who I think are probably all right and potential ballsacks.

AFP -confirmed town

All right (probably - these are all basically metareads from being town with them before):
JakeP - seems like his usual self n I see nothing incongruous in his posts/reads
Juanito - play consistent with my meta of him
Keane - is keane
Somber - seems the same to the game we played previously
dork - don't know him but his last couple of posts looked good to me

Potential ball sacks(these are mostly gut or due to lack of posting):
cPig - it's more a neutral feeling from him to be honest
chaoslord - he's also kinda neutral to me
50 - I agree with dorkanoid that his meinberg vote was lazy and opportunist
Ixt - keep forgetting he's in the game, potentially a bad sign
Lumpen - I though his response to my question seemed a bit more like he was framing what meinberg said to fit his narrative rather than distinquish scumpost from wrong town as I asked, not necessarily a scumtell but doesn't make me feel good about him
Pinterest - he lurks as scum big time ergo
Rarity - she's complained previously that people always think she's scum and maybe she's posting less because of this, feels like flying under the radar and might be scum-motivated
MCS - barely playing if at all at this point I had hoped the vote might elicit a response maybe getting a replacement is needed?
Meinberg - is awful but AFP's point about him being an easy target makes me think he could just be a patsy
DGK - intentional lurking, advocates a policy lynch on lumpen, which feels kinda scummy to me

I'd say 50 and DGK are my strongest feelings, lets ##vote DGK and see what he has to say.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Also someone compliment the flag I made, drat it!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I liked the flag because it shows the futility of anime, but you made one mistake - I am Sigmund Kircheis if episode 26 went more favorably.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Siegfried is what my mother called me, Sigmund is my name of the night.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Heh, 2 boys on the easy train to me town.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

I liked the flag because it shows the futility of anime, but you made one mistake - I am Sigmund Kircheis if episode 26 went more favorably.

I thought the sting reference tied things in nicely with thread activity.

50 pounds of bread posted:

Heh, 2 boys on the easy train to me town.

what is this post meant to mean?

fyi guys, I'm a life-haver and will be out drinking tonight.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Life = drinking?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I JUST realized that Punt's avatar is teeth and not a cloaked person.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CapitalistPig posted:

Life = drinking?

I must be pretty loving alive then

CCKeane posted:

same

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Somber, we've been in two other games (Dwarf, Ecco's game) that I can think of. In the former you thought I was scum in the beginning and in Ecco's game you thought I was scum toward the end, so yeah, this makes 3/3 I believe. Maybe I missed one, though.

Meinberg, I like your response a lot. Feel a lot better about you after that. Looks like I definitely was misreading you.

CCKeane posted:

:monocle:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

chaoslord posted:

Somber, we've been in two other games (Dwarf, Ecco's game) that I can think of. In the former you thought I was scum in the beginning and in Ecco's game you thought I was scum toward the end, so yeah, this makes 3/3 I believe. Maybe I missed one, though.

Meinberg, I like your response a lot. Feel a lot better about you after that. Looks like I definitely was misreading you.

:monocle:

Fair enough, I don't even remember doing that in Dwarfia!

Yeah punt you're right on Meinburg, that was a pretty clear jokevote.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I don't think it was a Jokevote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Puntification posted:

I'd say 50 and DGK are my strongest feelings, lets ##vote DGK and see what he has to say.

I'd say I still don't care if I get lynched.

• Locked thread