Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Pantology posted:

You shooting for PEX?

For my VCDX? yes,(however VCDX is held at a different schedule and not exclusively to conventions so eh) times now on the fact of arguing when 6.0 is officially announced with others. I think 6.0 will be GA shortly after/during PEX.

I honestly wanted to take a break and say "eh gently caress it stairway to heaven at 6.0" I had some others going for it but since it wasn't released, I am spending most my weeks studying and reviewing my design.

Doing it sooner rather than later for reasons... So I am not posting much to focus on important matters.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm assuming the 2015 defense schedule will be similar to 2014 - US dates roughly quarterly, with the first at PEX. Though since the guy that runs the program just left, who knows what'll happen.

I got talked into it at VMworld, and am now scrambling to get all my docs in a row. It's going to be tight.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Pantology posted:

I'm assuming the 2015 defense schedule will be similar to 2014 - US dates roughly quarterly, with the first at PEX. Though since the guy that runs the program just left, who knows what'll happen.

I got talked into it at VMworld, and am now scrambling to get all my docs in a row. It's going to be tight.

When my VCDX5 or whatever happens it happens; I don't care the version I care if I try hard enough to get it.

Aiming for sooner rather than later, time to ride the wave and see how it goes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I might be working in an ESX 3 environment next year, is there any good resource on what I need to know going backwards to support that environment?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I might be working in an ESX 3 environment next year, is there any good resource on what I need to know going backwards to support that environment?

any specifics?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Not really. I'm going to assume that they have a good reason for not updating because from what I understand, they have other environments that are humming along just fine at 5.5u1.

I understand that the Kernel is quite different, but I'm more interested in what differences I'd see at a management level. ESX uses vSphere right?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Not really. I'm going to assume that they have a good reason for not updating because from what I understand, they have other environments that are humming along just fine at 5.5u1.

I understand that the Kernel is quite different, but I'm more interested in what differences I'd see at a management level. ESX uses vSphere right?

vSphere, yes, but ESX (ESXi was introduced with 4, iirc) was based on RHEL. The console is full Linux, and rpms for RHEL 4 install cleanly

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Pantology posted:

I'd be happy to rip your docs apart and let you know if they'll pass muster. Shoot me a pm when you have something ready.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

1000101 posted:

I'd be happy to rip your docs apart and let you know if they'll pass muster. Shoot me a pm when you have something ready.

I will absolutely take you up on that. Shooting to have the bundle ready by the end of November.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Hersey says a 6 host, 2 NAS/"SAN", IP base environment is more than enough. I have a hard time believing it but then again he got his off a 4 host and 1 san environment.

Maybe I am over estimating/thinking it again...

1000101 posted:

After 128 rips me a new one I will be sure to send it to you. However the design doc I am doing was the one I enacted for my CC, for some reason very little kick back was given other than the VLAN implementation.

Also unless there is an NDA can I post my defense public or what? I'd like to help others best I can.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 7, 2014

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
You can't disclose the questions/content of a defense but you can offer some guidance.

With respect to scale it's less relevant than knowing how to address specific problems with specific solutions. You can absolutely submit a 4 host design using an EQL if you can speak to how to address things at a larger scale during the defense.

The panel itself is going to be a lot more critical than any customer or colleague will ever be. Almost to a point where it'd seem rude or terse. Even if you've made a right decision, if you can't articulate why then it's going to be a strike against you. It's most definitely not a "given 3 options, which one is correct."

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Well duh the pannel is more about "did you know why you did this, and explain why" rather than the scale of the arch, but I still can't wrap my head around vmware accepting a 3 host 1 EQL design.

I'm just ranting, sorry; I appreciate the input.

rijndael
Dec 9, 2008
Newbie question:

I have a Server 2008 RTM Core machine that's become troublesome to administer and support. It's just a dumb file server with 2x 2TB volumes and a bunch of Windows shares.

Can I shut it down, unattach those VMDKs, spin up a new Server 2012 R2 machine, attach the VMDKs, power it up and recreate the shares? Seems easy but I don't want to overlook something.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
What filesystem? NTFS? Two separate ones? Sure.
Or are these dynamic disks/volumes? Dynamic volumes will appear as "foreign" in the new system, but overall what you want to achieve should be doable without much fuss at all.

Before you decommission the old machine, do take into consideration that deleting it will delete any attached disks as well.
- Before deleting the VM, remove the VMDKs from the old VM's configuration.
- Then either Storage vMotion the new VM and its attached VMDKs to a new location, or shut down the 2012 machine as well, then move the VMDKs over to a desired directory before re-adding them to the machine. Then delete your old 2008 machine.

rijndael
Dec 9, 2008
Don't think they're dynamic - diskpart doesn't show anything under the Dyn or Gpt column for either of the disks in question. They're definitely NTFS volumes on those two disks.

Is the svMotion step needed if I plan on leaving the two large VMDKs in their own datastores? Right now the 2008 machine has its primary VMDK in a general VM datastore, and then the two VMDKs in question are both in dedicated datastores.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
If the two are sticking around on their alternate datastores, that's all good. Just attach to the new machine, power on. If all good, detach from the old, delete.

rijndael
Dec 9, 2008
Oh so you can have a VMDK attached to two VMs, as long as they're not both powered on at once? Cool.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Yep, it just doesn't really serve you much purpose.
Any complications I could think of, from this point on are mostly about user permissions - the SIDs on the old machine won't exist on the new one, so you could have some unresolved SIDs showing up on the filesystems you attach, when looking at it from 2012's perspective.

rijndael
Dec 9, 2008
Most all the permissions should be assigned to users/groups from AD, so it would only be local users on the old Windows server that would be unresolved - right?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Yep.

Also content:
Has anyone had difficulty actually getting acknowledgement of the value of their VCAPs when applying for work? It seems employers sometimes don't really care, much of the time. Nor do they care/know if your VCP is expiring or has expired. The whole concept just is a non-issue, seemingly. Perhaps that's just a thing they will pick up on later in time?

rijndael
Dec 9, 2008
Thanks Kachunkachunk, and sorry to everyone else for derailing with dumb questions :)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

rijndael posted:

Thanks Kachunkachunk, and sorry to everyone else for derailing with dumb questions :)

Don't apologize. There are a lot of people from a wide range of skills. I haven't run into your problem but I might one day and now I've got a place to start if something similar comes up.

I'm guessing that you could click the ? under anyone's name in this thread and find them asking a question.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

rijndael posted:

Oh so you can have a VMDK attached to two VMs, as long as they're not both powered on at once? Cool.

Technically you can have a VMDK attached to two running VMs at the same time. I just wouldn't try writes to both. This is actually how Veeam's 'hot add' transport mode works: if the proxy can attach the target's VMDK, it will (via hot-add SCSI), and will read data directly out of the VMDK rather than making the API calls over the network.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
In VMware vCenter is it not possible to remove a license from a server in order to add it to a new server? We're doing some server shuffling because we got new blades with more memory. I installed a fresh copy of vSphere 5.5 update 2 on the blade, booted it up in evaluation mode, and migrated all our old servers' VMs to it. When editing licensed features it wouldn't let me revert to an unlicensed server, so I figured I had to remove it from inventory. I shut down the server, removed it from inventory, and it's still showing the license as used. I'm not sure what to do now. After removing it from inventory I also tried to connect to it stand-alone and assign a Free ESXi license to it. That let me assign the license, but it still shows up as used in vCenter.

What's the correct way of moving a license from one server to another?

Edit: Nevermind. I finally got it to work. After removing, readding, removing readding until I was about to explode with rage it finally released it's key.

The only things different between the times it worked and didn't work were not having it in maintenance mode when removing the host and having turned off vMotion on the vSwitch. I can't imagine why messing with vMotion being enabled would make a difference, so I'm guessing maintenance mode does something stupid with the key to prevent it from being removed?

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 10, 2014

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Feels like a pretty big gently caress You that 2012R2 still isn't supported as a vSphere host OS on this release.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Edit: ^^^ A host OS for what?

I also noticed that the host Connection Server OS for View 6 supports 2012 R2 but not 2012. I am guessing that their documentation is just wrong?

Update edit: VMware support claims 2012 R2 is supported and 2012 isn't.

Moey fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 10, 2014

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Moey posted:

Edit: ^^^ A host OS for what?

Running your vSphere server. 2012 only from what I can tell in the release notes. I expected update 2 to add in R2 support but all I got was SQL 2014 instead.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

vcsa supremacy

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Running your vSphere server. 2012 only from what I can tell in the release notes. I expected update 2 to add in R2 support but all I got was SQL 2014 instead.

Compatibility guide says 2012R2 is supported in 5.5u2 (actually supported from 5.5u1)

http://www.vmware.com/resources/com...g=17&bookmark=1

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Well poo poo, I must have been reading a 5.5 manual and didn't notice. Thanks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I wouldn't mind migrating to vcsa, but god knows I'll destroy our View environment in the process.

I'll probably end up doing this at some point, so if anyone has any experience, I would love to hear it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I put VCSA in when it was version 5 (I think, it was a while back). It was horrible.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I put VCSA in when it was version 5 (I think, it was a while back). It was horrible.
It's still not great, but it has improved immensely. We still have to restart ours regularly, which may or may not have to do with XenDesktop, not quite sure.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moey posted:

I also noticed that the host Connection Server OS for View 6 supports 2012 R2 but not 2012. I am guessing that their documentation is just wrong?

Update edit: VMware support claims 2012 R2 is supported and 2012 isn't.

Arg. I was just hoping their documentation was missing 2012. Piss. I guess I could install it in compatibility mode...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

adorai posted:

It's still not great, but it has improved immensely. We still have to restart ours regularly, which may or may not have to do with XenDesktop, not quite sure.

I just remember a fairly lengthy ordeal getting it to talk to AD, something to do with the SSO part of it being almost not there.

Edit: I just remembered that most of my issues were caused by certain privileged accounts that had access to set up the integration stuff having default credentials different to the one that ran on Windows, and not featured in any of the documentation. That was a fun day.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
one thing we found is that certain special characters in the initially configured root password will cause internal authentication failures which generate a metric shitload of logs. To the tune of 500 IOPS down the shitter on our SAN.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

adorai posted:

one thing we found is that certain special characters in the initially configured root password will cause internal authentication failures which generate a metric shitload of logs. To the tune of 500 IOPS down the shitter on our SAN.

This is great.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

adorai posted:

If you are SMB(3-7 hosts) VCSA owns,(8-10) hosts Windows owns, and at (11+) you don't care because at that density you probably are paying <50$ for a windows license if you are smart.

Glad to see the C# client is well you know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

If you are SMB(3-7 hosts) VCSA owns,(8-10) hosts Windows owns, and at (11+) you don't care because at that density you probably are paying <50$ for a windows license if you are smart.

Glad to see the C# client is well you know...
we have windows datacenter licenses so a windows instance is basically free, we still chose the vcsa, because it's the future or something.