Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm pretty sure that due to empowering dailies, sorcerers might be the highest DPS. Wizard's DPS drops partly because they don't add a modifier to their damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
One big thing is that martial damage goes up EVERY level, while caster damage goes up every other level.

Empowered sorcerer dailies are probably the biggest nova damage, and it's precisely why you can't empower wizard dailies as those would be even more obscene.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

ProfessorCirno posted:

One big thing is that martial damage goes up EVERY level, while caster damage goes up every other level.

Empowered sorcerer dailies are probably the biggest nova damage, and it's precisely why you can't empower wizard dailies as those would be even more obscene.

You totally can, with a feat. Once a day you can even empower AND evoke a Wizard Daily

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

I find it really interesting that the 3PP classes most beloved by the community - both here and other places - are NOT spell users like the Alchemist, Warlock and Witch. (Dilettante can cast spells, but really they're flex attacks with a few self-buffs; Theurge is a fake spellcaster) This might be One Unique Thing to the 13th Age community; seems like a lot of favorite 3PP stuff in the remainder of the F20 tradition are spellcasters.

I think a big part of it is just that the 13th Age spell lists are all so much smaller.

Most 20-sided games use the massive common spell list model from 3E, and those spell lists are just absolutely gargantuan. It means that an infinitely prepared Schroedinger's wizard who has every spell in his spell books and scrolls on hand of all the good stuff is essentially omnipotent and can do anything.

By contrast, in 13th Age, in combat, casters can Do Damage roughly as well as anyone else (some better, some worse, maybe a bit better net, but not by much regardless), and... use backgrounds, the same as everyone else.

I mean, I guess there's also ritual casting, but ritual casting is sufficiently freeform that it roughly falls into the same category as backgrounds as "If you can justify why this solves your problem, you can make it work," and if you can't, the GM should at least have you failing forward anyway.

There just isn't the same range of situations modeled in the game for which a group without, say, a Wizard, is fundamentally unprepared. So long as you have enough resources in the party to ensure that people have access to their recoveries when they need them (whether through potions, or a character with healing spells, or whatever), and some means of controlling combat (and a tanky martial is just as good at this as a wizard casting lockdowns - or at least, different enough to not be worthless), you're going to be fine. That's a big change from other games, and it means that playing Martial classes is going to be a bit more popular.

Oh, and also, I suspect it's because I think it's easier to design a martial class - there's generally fewer abilities to design because spell lists are hard, and I think a lot of people have glommed onto just how much 13th Age makes use of things like specific results on the D20 to adjust outcomes for martials. (Flexible attacks, dual wielding rules, etc.) It's the fun new thing to build a class around.

(I kind of wonder what variant Wizard would look like with reduced spell casting - same spell list, but maybe -1 known and +5 to recharge difficulty, max 19?)/talents but Flexible Attacks a la the fighter for those of his spells which require an Attack Roll.)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Has anyone ever seen Quirks used in a game?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Jackard posted:

In my game cursed items always impose their quirks on the player, but aside from one (Hates Wizards) the quirks on items that fit a character usually are just already part of that character's personality.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Jackard posted:

We did a little for the first couple sessions, and it has now been reduced to a couple characters each having a specific intelligent item with it's own agenda. This seems to work much better for our group.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Jackard posted:

They come up a lot when you have a Seeker in the party.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Threw all the person-scale maps I've done in an imgur album. The style varies a bunch across them, only a few are in RPG perspective, and several have very specific uses. Most of them are 1750x1750, Roll20's default size, and the rest are 2800x2800, a 40x40 map in Roll20 with the default grid.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PublicOpinion posted:

Threw all the person-scale maps I've done in an imgur album. The style varies a bunch across them, only a few are in RPG perspective, and several have very specific uses. Most of them are 1750x1750, Roll20's default size, and the rest are 2800x2800, a 40x40 map in Roll20 with the default grid.

This should be linked on the front page.

PO, these are awesome.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
When homebrewing a 13th Age class, would it be acceptable to limit a class to only 2 talents but make them particularly playstyle defining and a bit more potent than the standard fare? This would also involve cutting back their innate class mechanics such that it's basically backloading the class mechanics onto the talents. I feel this would allow two different people playing the same class to turn out very different, but I'm concerned if it wouldn't actually work out very well in terms of balance.

Dec 26, 2012

If I've learned anything from trying to rejigger the druid into something worthwhile, it's that having a strong, coherent core competency and having talents be either modifications on that competency or basically unrelated but pretty cool to have is way, way better than not doing that. If you want a class to be able to split in wildly different ways, maybe instead make two classes.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

It's a chronomancer/paradox mage style class and almost all the talents would revolve around messing with action economy, they'd just be doing it in different ways. However, my concern is that action economy manipulation of any sort is extremely powerful, thus I want to restrict it to keep it from getting out of hand.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Obligatum VII posted:

It's a chronomancer/paradox mage style class and almost all the talents would revolve around messing with action economy, they'd just be doing it in different ways. However, my concern is that action economy manipulation of any sort is extremely powerful, thus I want to restrict it to keep it from getting out of hand.

Pick one, make it baseline. Add a talent that replaces it with the other one, and if it isn't slightly stronger or more interesting anyway, then provide a small bonus that synergies in the talent (as a feat tree or whatever).

Come up with several other fun and interesting talents that can work with both.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

PublicOpinion posted:

I think of all the ones we did, this one is my favorite, especially because of the stippling, it looked animated in roll20.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Anyone got any opinions on how well balanced these barbarian talents are? I'm interested in a warp-spasmy type barbarian and the infernal mutation poo poo looks cool.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Anyone got any opinions on how well balanced these barbarian talents are? I'm interested in a warp-spasmy type barbarian and the infernal mutation poo poo looks cool.

Ice Panzer and Sever the Silver Cord are really powerful and on the flip side, Gift of the Marilith is pretty underpowered.

Corrupted Flesh is a bit weak considering without feats it has a 50% chance of proccing at the highest E.Die and at best it has a 75% chance of proccing at epic when something like Vampire Form, you get a bunch of guaranteed regeneration and things happen when you're missed.

For Bursting Rage, it feels weird that you need to take feats to do what every other spells does automatically.

Dec 26, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm just going through the Frenzy ones because you mentioned an interest in them:

Corrupted Flesh seems ok if a little weak. I'd probably rather it be a lower die but take effect only when staggered or something so you have a higher chance of it coming up when it actually matters.

Corrupted Body has a few mutations that could be pretty strong when combined with other talents, like the melee without engagement one + Slayer. Also increasing attack bonus further with the feats is a bit too much, without that it's like Two-Weapon Mastery almost but with that it's kinda weird.

Corrupted Skin seems shaky regarding the base ability. The primary downfall to it is that the specific resist you roll has a pretty slim chance of actually mattering because it's randomized, you'd have to be pretty lucky to random up the element that the enemy you're fighting happens to be using (unless it's fire/acid of course). Also resistance to blunt weapons is wonky and I'd rather not have to care about that sort of thing for literally 1/8th of one ability and nothing else. Like Corrupted Body, it scales up the inherent bonus with feats which is pretty weird. Is it supposed to be there as a magic item bonus replacement? Because there are way less awkward ways to do that.

Soul Collector straight up sucks.

Bursting Rage is awkward, especially the mandatory all-nearby-allies damage. Also caring about Charisma is probably like the last thing you want to do when making a Barbarian.

Gift of the Marilith is more of a sidegrade than the upgrade that a talent should be. I'm not even sure it qualifies as a sidegrade really.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Still brainstorming mechanical benefits to represent downtime at towns, something with less bookkeeping. Thinking of "every full rest, choose one of the benefits below, which last until your next full rest" and put them on cards to go along with the power/item cards I've already made. Currently adventurer tier and using DTAS.

Avid Revelry
+2 to the amount restored by recoveries.
You spend your time feasting and drinking with fine company.

Benediction
+1 to all saves.
You spend your time in devout reflection and charitable work.

Diligent Study
+2 to background checks related to knowledge.
You spend your time scrying current events and researching various subjects.

Meditation
+1 when rolling to recharge abilities.
You spend your time in physical training and mental exercises.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Avid Revelry could only maximally benefit you 16 hp over a full day (excepting extra recoveries from talents/magic belts) which doesn't scale nearly as well as the others, maybe it should let you reroll a recovery die and have it stack with Strong Recovery? Or slightly increase the healing bonus and also have it increase by tier, like +5/10/20 hp per recovery?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I like that reroll idea, none of my players have Strong Recovery so it shouldn't be an issue.

I was having trouble thinking of some other common benefits, maybe spending downtime on stuff like training animals to perform 1/b stunts or crafting a consumable item like potions.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 7, 2014

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Yeah, being able to craft/do some minor favors for potions/runes/oils is simple and a nice little boost.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

CaptainPsyko posted:

Pick one, make it baseline. Add a talent that replaces it with the other one, and if it isn't slightly stronger or more interesting anyway, then provide a small bonus that synergies in the talent (as a feat tree or whatever).

Come up with several other fun and interesting talents that can work with both.

I'm uncertain what would make a good baseline, I have three talent ideas thus far and I feel they're all relatively even in terms of power:

I must preface the first talent with a brief explanation of another mechanic I was planning for the class. If you've played ToME, you are likely familiar with the paradox mechanic. Gist for my implementation of paradox is that various chronomancer spells also have a paradox 'cost' that raises your paradox by that amount. All the spells scale off paradox in various ways, getting more powerful as your paradox level increases. However, past a certain threshold you begin getting chances for anomalies, which are a result of the time stream breaking down from all the abuse. Getting an anomaly reduces your paradox level and has some effect on the battle. Roll a 1d6 and on 1-2 the change is negative for you, 3-4 it changes the parameters of the battle but is largely neutral, 5-6 and the changes are beneficial in some way.

1. +2 to all anomaly rolls (This talent completely removes possible negative effects of anomalies and greatly biases it towards beneficial results. It lets you play much less cautiously and abuse the hell out of the time stream with wild abandon). Alternatively, this could add the escalation die to the anomaly roll, but chances are that would generally just mean nothing but positive effects by the time anomalies started happening unless you came into a fight with a lot paradox built up.

2. Suspend, very similar to the Magic: the Gathering card keyword. However, in this case, it lets you cast a chronomancer spell as a quick action. The spell becomes suspended for a number of turns equal to (spell level/2, rounded up), at the beginning of each of your subsequent turns, subtract 1 from the suspend count and when it hits 0, it casts. Note that targets may move before a suspended spell comes into effect. If the target is no longer in the zone that you originally targeted it in, the spell will try to re-target towards other hostiles first (other allies first if a beneficial effect), but if it cannot fulfill its target requirements with hostiles alone, it will also target any allies present in that zone as well. Alternatively, it follows your original target to whatever zone they move to, but I think it's fun to pull the equivalent to a shivan meteor and watch as enemies freak out in their attempts to get the hell away from that area.

3. This is a defensive talent, and a very good one at that. It's pretty much straight up stealing ToME's damage smearing talent. Any damage dealt to you is instead split up and dealt in smaller increments over the following 5 turns. You're essentially completely immune to all forms of burst damage, and have ample time for healing to be applied to you. I suppose this one could just be a spell, though, and probably ought to be since I suspect it's far too much as constant effect unless it's in some way mutually exclusive with stuff like Suspend, and maybe even then.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 7, 2014

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
What's the reasoning behind the Champion and Epic feats for the paladin's Smite Evil not being folded into the class feature itself? Most other damage bonuses scale w/ level or tier already; Smite seems like the odd one out. +1d12 is a substantial damage boost at low levels, but becomes pretty minor before long. Is Smiting meant to be less of a thing at higher levels? As is, the investment of the epic feat causes the damage boost to be about a quarter of an average monster's hit points at 8th level, which is exactly the same as first level.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

drunkencarp posted:

What's the reasoning behind the Champion and Epic feats for the paladin's Smite Evil not being folded into the class feature itself? Most other damage bonuses scale w/ level or tier already; Smite seems like the odd one out. +1d12 is a substantial damage boost at low levels, but becomes pretty minor before long. Is Smiting meant to be less of a thing at higher levels? As is, the investment of the epic feat causes the damage boost to be about a quarter of an average monster's hit points at 8th level, which is exactly the same as first level.

At higher levels smiting is more about the guaranteed half damage on a miss than the extra damage, but also paladins just have so little to do already that they needed more feats probably.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

but also paladins just have so little to do already that they needed more feats probably.
Was there ever a paladin that didn't take the cleric talent?

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/416625372/13th-age-in-glorantha

Kickstarter is live.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Jackard posted:

Paladin in my game never did. He might not be exciting, but Challenge + Armor of Splendor and a sky-high AC makes him darn effective at locking down one enemy for eternity.

e: He did take a homebrew talent another player ginned up that lets him split off a shade to tank two dudes at once.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

As someone who knows nothing about Glorantha, can someone sell me on this?

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

drunkencarp posted:

Our group will likely end up giving the paladin the scaling smite feats for free.

Jackard posted:

Ours took the cleric talent.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

CaptCommy posted:

I know next to nothing about Glorantha, but this at the 13thageinglorantha site caught my eye:

"Entirely new classes include:

The earth queen devoted to Ernalda, who shapes her adventuring party as an Ernaldan family in which disparate elements make each other stronger.

Transformational classes include:

The Wind Lord devoted to Orlanth, who can start as a fighter, ranger, or rogue but gains new talents and abilities unique to Wind Lords. Not quite as many options as 13th Age druids. But a similar multi-faceted treatment.
The berserker, a more involved development of the barbarian class dedicated to either Storm Bull or Babeester Gor.
The Sword of Humakt, an honor-bound undead-hating master warrior who may be a rather severe transformation of the paladin OR may be an entirely new thing, we’re trying it both ways.

Class Adapations

Class adaptations that include occasional new talents, spells, and powers include:

Modified clerics and druids for Ernalda.
Barbarians, commanders, monks (!), and sorcerers re-flavored as Orlanth-worshippers.
Humakti commanders, fighters, and melee rangers."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Glorantha is one of the most unique and cool worlds in tabletop history, and if they put even a modicum of effort into changing the classes and mechanics to be more Gloranthan we're going to have a poo poo-ton of new cool stuff to use with 13th Age.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

CaptCommy posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Ryven, is the Martial Artist not getting a third Epic Feat a typo or intentional?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I'm five monsters away from hitting the big 50 in my Monster Index, does anyone have any suggestions/requests/prompts?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

PublicOpinion posted:

I'm five monsters away from hitting the big 50 in my Monster Index, does anyone have any suggestions/requests/prompts?

How about Animate Hate? Aliens from beyond the stars in the style of the classic Grey? Pixies with attitude? A hivemind creature that takes on the form of a bunch of posh, Elizabethan people who only talk about little things and small topics -- like the weather -- to trick people into a false sense of security before striking (mook)? A monster version of the Chaos Mage with less bookkeeping and stones? An extremist faction of Forgeborn that act like the Cyberman from Doctor Who (or like the Borg)? The revived corpse of those who died in tragedy that are unaware of its true identity until the full moon rises and they go beserk? Psychics? A virus that travels through words that infects adventurers (perhaps using the bad word from the red caps mechanic)? Non-winged Dragons the size of rhinoceros that only speak in riddles?

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 7, 2014

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Covok posted:

Ryven, is the Martial Artist not getting a third Epic Feat a typo or intentional?

I know how Ryven thinks and I'm 90% certian it's unintentional without even talking to him.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Actors who have read the wrong magical script, forced to act out their roles. And wouldn't you know it, it's time for the big fight scene and your wizard just happens to look like the evil mage the dashing hero has to run through.

Covok
May 27, 2013

-Fish- posted:

I know how Ryven thinks and I'm 90% certian it's unintentional without even talking to him.

That's what I figured as well, but ya know what happens when you ASSume.

Edit: Well that and the same typo is on the Theruge. And the Dilettante. And the Eldcaller.

I think he may want to check all his pdfs for this typo.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Covok posted:

How about Animate Hate? Aliens from beyond the stars in the style of the classic Grey? Pixies with attitude? A hivemind creature that takes on the form of a bunch of posh, Elizabethan people who only talk about little things and small topics -- like the weather -- to trick people into a false sense of security before striking (mook)? A monster version of the Chaos Mage with less bookkeeping and stones? An extremist faction of Forgeborn that act like the Cyberman from Doctor Who (or like the Borg)? The revived corpse of those who died in tragedy that are unaware of its true identity until the full moon rises and they go beserk? Psychics? A virus that travels through words that infects adventurers (perhaps using the bad word from the red caps mechanic)? Non-winged Dragons the size of rhinoceros that only speak in riddles?

I like Animate Hate and the NPC Chaos Mage for monster statblocks, the others are interesting but deserve like a whole ecology/alternate icon thing. I've been meaning to write an enemy party of unique and synergistic Forgeborn, which could fit in with the faction idea, maybe with an Icon writeup. Something like a Forgeborn that overthrew the dwarf king, pushed the dwarves out onto the surface, and rules the underworld with tireless, perfect efficiency.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Actors who have read the wrong magical script, forced to act out their roles. And wouldn't you know it, it's time for the big fight scene and your wizard just happens to look like the evil mage the dashing hero has to run through.

I'm thinking two monsters, a Playwright and a Troupe. I'll have to come up with something to try and force a three-act structure onto a combat encounter.