Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

Motherfucker, for a moment I thought someone made a :scrunt: emote.
You got my hopes up, man :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Moola posted:

Well you could always be that someone!
:effort:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Same.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We need that scrunt emote. Gonna enter it in the 'yob new emote thread but I think Palmon deserves it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Can we kickstart this emote?!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

ARKHAN: "Minions, I order you to forge for me a mount made out of bones and skulls!"

FOREMAN: "Ok, sir, so you want the standard skeletal mount with extra skull accoutrements..."

ARKHAN: "No, you fool! I do not wish for mere 'Skull Bling', I desire a mount made out of bones AND skulls!"

FOREMAN: "Oh, alright then, so you want your skeletal mount to just be COVERED in skulls, right? Very menacing, sir..."

ARKHAN: "NO, YOU NEAR-SIGHTED SIMPLETON! Let me explain exactly to you my vision: I want you assemble the bones, AND THEN FILL THEM TO THE BRIM WITH SKULLS!

FOREMAN: "To the brim, sir?"

ARKHAN: "Beyond the brim, even! I want my mount to be OVERFLOWING WITH SKULLS. Until it is more skulls than bones! I demand that my mount have LOAD-BEARING SKULLS!"

FOREMAN: "Er, alright then, I suppose that we have that ready for you by..."

ARKHAN: "Also it must fly! Without wings! Probably lifted by the skulls or something!"

FOREMAN: :psyduck:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
They knew what they were signing up for.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The recipe for ghost skulls is to kill a skeleton and decapitate its ghost. Repeat until you have enough ghost skulls to fill a horse.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Is he riding some kind of 40k Tyranid corpse?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

mr. stefan posted:

or the antagonist being a date rape lizard man that gets kicked in the junk.

The one time a year my avatars is relevant and I missed it

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I particularly like the way the mount's forelimbs have little tiny ribcages. Just to hold more skulls.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'm assuming that it can fire those skulls from it's hands.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"They've given me Arkhan the Black to do, and of course I'm doing it in all skulls, because I happen to like them, and I'm just old-fashioned enough to think that they give a lovely baroque feel to a miniature."

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Nagash-Paint-Collection

http://www.dickblick.com/products/daler-rowney-cryla-artists-acrylics/

:saddowns:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So the new End Times book is just the WHFB equivalent of the 40k 7E demon summoning, yes? (i.e. a way for them to sell undead models to people who don't have undead armies but now need undead in order to be at all competitive)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Most armies aren't going to and don't need to summon undead.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Ah, so, then it's a failed attempt to force people to buy undead?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

Ah, so, then it's a failed attempt to force people to buy undead?

They're releasing a bunch of stuff other than undead, but it's more an attempt to shake up the setting/army lists and set up for the next edition.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

There are rumblings abound that Space Hulk is making a return (again) and GW have released a teaser video:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/space-hulk-returning-edition-games-workshop/

I can't help but think that's a desperate cash grab, the space hulk limited release is one of the few things GW has done 'right' in recent years (barring that 'limited' part), the quality of everything in that box is through the roof. Doubt I'll pick up anything else from them.

The big rumour is that it's the same as the 2009 release with some extra missions and counters and bits.

Bleh.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I will buy ten and sell the pieces on ebay for the next ten years because I am scum

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

enri posted:

There are rumblings abound that Space Hulk is making a return (again) and GW have released a teaser video:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/space-hulk-returning-edition-games-workshop/

I can't help but think that's a desperate cash grab, the space hulk limited release is one of the few things GW has done 'right' in recent years (barring that 'limited' part), the quality of everything in that box is through the roof. Doubt I'll pick up anything else from them.

The big rumour is that it's the same as the 2009 release with some extra missions and counters and bits.

Bleh.

Huh. I better sell my 2009 copy quick, then :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

S.J. posted:

Huh. I better sell my 2009 copy quick, then :v:

I toyed with the idea half a year back or so, but then I remembered how badly I kicked myself for selling my 1st edition copy years ago. Space hulk is top of the list of games I will always have time for and if I sold my copy I don't think I'd be able to live with myself :)

edit: one day I will get around to painting all the models, one day :argh:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I honestly don't give a poo poo anymore because I haven't opened it in well over a year and don't play GW games anymore. I'd rather someone else get good use out of it and I can buy a different board game or w/e that I will actually play.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Xlorp posted:

Is he riding some kind of 40k Tyranid corpse?

This is the best. Right up there with the recent space wolves chariot. A skeleton full of skulls, with skulls dripping out of the skeleton or something (?) is so dumb it's genius.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

DirtyRobot posted:

This is the best. Right up there with the recent space wolves chariot. A skeleton full of skulls, with skulls dripping out of the skeleton or something (?) is so dumb it's genius.

No, look, it's like a security system! Those skulls are like an early warning system so that no would-be do-gooders can sneak up on ol' Uncle Arkahn there.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Gate posted:

No, look, it's like a security system! Those skulls are like an early warning system so that no would-be do-gooders can sneak up on ol' Uncle Arkahn there.

Like caltrops, but more warhammer

got it

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

S.J. posted:

Like caltrops, but more warhammer

got it

Anklebiters.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I think it reflects a deep seated belief in consensus by the forces of the Undead.

For years, because most vampire count, tomb king, and otherwise miscellaneous undead armies have been lead by singular extremely powerful necromancers of one kind or another, we've assumed that they have a strict top-down corporate (or in the case of ghost units, unincorporated independent contractors DBA ectoplasm) structure. But we're seeing that these guys *believe* in the concept of many voices. They aren't summoning chaff. They're crowd sourcing ancestral wisdom. The opinions of the interred are an undervalued resource in the workplace. These guys make use of that intellectual capital to grow their brand; and every defeated warrior is potentially another piece of useful feedback to improve their product.

It really turns the entire concept of Undead on its head, or skull. They're dynamic marketplace entities, working to overcome challenges by leveraging Agile.

What we're seeing is that a truly supreme tomb king doesn't order his serpent magi to charge--he grooms a backlog of battlefield user stories, and asks his units what they can commit to for their next turn. Vampires work with wights to determine priority, and run a scrum during each magic phase to determine if they need a Dans Macabre to accelerate their velocity.

I'm kind of surprised you guys are acting like it's 'silly' or 'over the top' somehow.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

gw posted:

Armies of the End Times can also field more Lords - up to 50% - and the brand new spell lore - The Lore of Undeath - allows every wizard, mage and sorcerer to wield the fell magic unleashed by Nagash. There are also army lists that allow you to create a unified army of Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts known as the Undead Legion.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Warhammer-Nagash-English

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
They still have those goofy rear end bone giants

moths
Aug 25, 2004

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I'm kind of surprised you guys are acting like it's 'silly' or 'over the top' somehow.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So Space Hulk is back, reprint of the last one they said would never be reprinted.

Also it's going to be $125 American pesos to purchase, and judging by the photo

that price seems excessive. It's $55 more than the Deadzone core box, $25 more than the new Infinity starter, and in Dungeon Crawler terms is $57 more than Myth, $70 more than Descent, $45 more than SDE, and $25 more than the Dungeon Saga KS base pledge stuffed full of bonuses was (and probably about $45 above final retail)

Am I the only one who looks at that photo and sees $80 worth of game at most, provided the card really is premium?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Eh, it's probably about right. I wish Fantasy Flight would just get the licence to print 'Hulk already though. And expansions.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

No you aren't. It's way overpriced. I got the last overpriced one since Space Hulk was the first GW game I played and I was super jazzed and nostalgic for it. I'm not sure who this is for since anyone like me already has it and probably isn't going to buy another box just for what other companies would charge $20 as an expansion for and as you noted there are way cheaper alternatives for your average boardgamer.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

that price seems excessive. It's $55 more than the Deadzone core box, $25 more than the new Infinity starter, and in Dungeon Crawler terms is $57 more than Myth, $70 more than Descent, $45 more than SDE

Your numbers are off on all of these. I don't think it's reasonable to compare the MSRP of Space Hulk with the online discounted prices of other games. The Deadzone core box, looking at Mantic's website, is $100. Descent retails for about 80., SDE is $100 retail also. Therea are a lot more minis than the Inifinity starter, they're of similar quality (I think), plastic, and it comes with a shitload of other stuff to boot. I do think it might be a little over costed, but you're also being a bit disingenuous.

That being said, as far as being an actual game, it's definitely overcosted. Space Hulk's mechanics are not worth $125 regardless of the quality of the minis and artwork.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Space Hulk is the best thing GW have ever made, and one of the best board games of all time.

I still wouldn't pay £80 for it though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

S.J. posted:

Your numbers are off on all of these. I don't think it's reasonable to compare the MSRP of Space Hulk with the online discounted prices of other games. The Deadzone core box, looking at Mantic's website, is $100. Descent retails for about 80., SDE is $100 retail also. Therea are a lot more minis than the Inifinity starter, they're of similar quality (I think), plastic, and it comes with a shitload of other stuff to boot. I do think it might be a little over costed, but you're also being a bit disingenuous.

How often is GW stuff significantly lower than RRP even at discounters? Got all those prices from Miniature Market.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Box looks like the size of galaxy trucker anniversary edition and retails for $125. Or twilight imperium with expansions around the same price. The difference is that those are good games. Even if trucker is the most ameritrash game ever.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

How often is GW stuff significantly lower than RRP even at discounters? Got all those prices from Miniature Market.

Eh? You can get any GW product you want 20-30% off very easily pretty much whenever you want other than, maybe, their non-trade items which need to be directly ordered. And ~20% off is the normal miniature market discount on items.

Granted they'll probably be doing one big release again instead of making this a normal stock item, which is beyond idiotic for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

S.J. posted:

Eh? You can get any GW product you want 20-30% off very easily pretty much whenever you want other than, maybe, their non-trade items which need to be directly ordered.

Granted they'll probably be doing one big release instead of making this a normal stock item, which is beyond idiotic for them.

Here's a good question though, is it actually going to be possible to get it anywhere but direct?

• Locked thread